By chamonix, Recognized Contributor on 21st July 2011, 10:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th March 2020, 03:57 PM |#37001  
Flag RMK
Thanks Meter: 212

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rm1

Sorry, I didn't see this requirement. Here is a dump from the last 6:30 hours. https://pastebin.com/xpBq4FkA
Again: FlightMode was on during the whole time. Bluetooth and Wifi were enabled. The phone was only used a few minutes. I lost over 4 % per hour.

Too much sot = screen on time. It need to be less than 1 min or 60 seconds. Yours was almost 5 min. Take new one
Your phone was awake half of time?.
The Following User Says Thank You to pjadec For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pjadec Ad-Free
24th March 2020, 06:08 PM |#37002  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB126

IDK - perhaps the BT radio isn't moderating power consumption based on use and/or conditions. That can happen entirely 'under the radar' from an Android perspective. Try a clean install as suggested by @TNSMANI. That should replace the bootloader/kernel where the hardware interface resides. Or just turn off BT when not in use ...

@TNSMANI @DB126 I've found the culprit and verified it: It was an external Bluetooth Audio Adapter/Receiver from Logitech I bougth late 2015 for my speakers, so they would also be wirelessly accessible. The BT adapter was constantly communicating with my S10 every 5 seconds or less, so my phone wouldn't go to deep sleep anymore., thus the huge idle-drain. I found this out by taking a look at Bluetooth logs I created via the "Bluetooth HCI Snoop Log" option in the Android Developer Settings (transferring the created 1-2 minute logs to PC and viewing them with Wireshark; screenshot attached). By unplugging/turning off the receiver I was back at 0.7%/h at home again!

Now I also know what caused the drain only to appear at the beginning of the year: Until this winter I simply haven't used the BT adapter with my S10 yet. I paired them once around January and after I was done using it I unpaired them again. I haven't used the adapter since, so I forgot about it. But apparently they weren't truly unpaired from the receivers point of view. So it kept pinging my S10 for the last few months... while this is not apparent without the Bluetooth logs...

I also did an additional test, to see if I could reproduce the issue: I turned the BT adapter back on, and paired and unpaired a S10e Exynos with it. Now the receiver was communicating with the S10e instead of my S10 (judging by the Bluetooth Logs I took). And indeed, my S10 went back to normal Idle-Drain (even though the BT adapter was on), while the idle-drain of the S10e went up three-fold. This suggests it is only a problem with the BT adapter itself. So a factory reset of my S10 wouldn't have helped here.

The Logitech Bluetooth Adapter is now permanently off the grid and a different better BT receiver already took its place. I hope, someone can learn something from my story here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BluetoothExampleLog.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	4977981  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Navras For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Navras Ad-Free
24th March 2020, 07:53 PM |#37003  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjadec

Too much sot = screen on time. It need to be less than 1 min or 60 seconds. Yours was almost 5 min. Take new one
Your phone was awake half of time?.

Thank you for looking into it. I think you missread the data. I have only 4 minutes of screen on time.

Screen On (): 4 m 57 s 1,2%
24th March 2020, 09:34 PM |#37004  
Thanks Meter: 1,042

More
Quote:

Thank you for looking into it. I think you missread the data. I have only 4 minutes of screen on time.

Screen On (): 4 m 57 s 1,2%

It needs to be less than 1 minute.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lughnasadh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lughnasadh Ad-Free
24th March 2020, 09:46 PM |#37005  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lughnasadh

It needs to be less than 1 minute.

I have no idea why 3 minutes make a difference but I will get another with no SOT. Maybe you could explain to me in the meantime why this would make any difference at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to T3rm1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift T3rm1 Ad-Free
24th March 2020, 10:57 PM |#37006  
Forum Moderator
Flag Next to the Wiesn
Thanks Meter: 7,102

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I have no idea why 3 minutes make a difference but I will get another with no SOT. Maybe you could explain to me in the meantime why this would make any difference at all.

With in 3 minutes there can happen a lot, so if you can narrow the sot to 0, you don't have to guess around if the drain comes from screen on or screen off
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongst For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift strongst Ad-Free
25th March 2020, 05:17 AM |#37007  
Thanks Meter: 9,742

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navras

@[email protected] I've found the culprit and verified it: It was an external Bluetooth Audio Adapter/Receiver from Logitech I bougth late 2015 for my speakers, so they would also be wirelessly accessible. The BT adapter was constantly communicating with my S10 every 5 seconds or less, so my phone wouldn't go to deep sleep anymore., thus the huge idle-drain. I found this out by taking a look at Bluetooth logs I created via the "Bluetooth HCI Snoop Log" option in the Android Developer Settings (transferring the created 1-2 minute logs to PC and viewing them with Wireshark; screenshot attached). By unplugging/turning off the receiver I was back at 0.7%/h at home again!

Now I also know what caused the drain only to appear at the beginning of the year: Until this winter I simply haven't used the BT adapter with my S10 yet. I paired them once around January and after I was done using it I unpaired them again. I haven't used the adapter since, so I forgot about it. But apparently they weren't truly unpaired from the receivers point of view. So it kept pinging my S10 for the last few months... while this is not apparent without the Bluetooth logs...

I also did an additional test, to see if I could reproduce the issue: I turned the BT adapter back on, and paired and unpaired a S10e Exynos with it. Now the receiver was communicating with the S10e instead of my S10 (judging by the Bluetooth Logs I took). And indeed, my S10 went back to normal Idle-Drain (even though the BT adapter was on), while the idle-drain of the S10e went up three-fold. This suggests it is only a problem with the BT adapter itself. So a factory reset of my S10 wouldn't have helped here.

The Logitech Bluetooth Adapter is now permanently off the grid and a different better BT receiver already took its place. I hope, someone can learn something from my story here.

Great detective work! Thanks for sharing.

---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

Quote:

Upon waking a busy device can easily burn as much power in 5 min as a 6 hour slumber. This thread is largely about identifying idle culprits. Hence the request for <1 min (ideally <10 sec) of 'screen on' time over a 6 hour window.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
28th March 2020, 01:00 AM |#37008  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Bt_host_wake
Hello.
Room floyd 5.1
My charge is running out very quickly, bluetooth is off, scan nearby device is off. Where's the problem? What should I do? Is this what causes the phone to heat up and run out of charge quickly?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200328-023631.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	4980331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200328-023644.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	4980333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200328-030230.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	4980335  
28th March 2020, 02:47 AM |#37009  
Recognized Contributor
Flag monteverde.org
Thanks Meter: 2,669

More
Battery Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikacharf

...What should I do? Is this what causes the phone to heat up and run out of charge quickly?

Create a proper dumpfile & attach it to a new post.

See Screen Off to Screen On Missing - BBS Settings.
The Following User Says Thank You to curiousrom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift curiousrom Ad-Free
30th March 2020, 05:31 AM |#37010  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,692

More
Battery Low Visual Representation of battery drain
Something that may be of interest and helpful in understanding your battery drain.

A free app with no monetisation. I'll try to keep this short, and direct you to the appropriate thread/post.

This app creates a Visual graph of battery drain over time

Name:	battery_history.png
Views:	276
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	4981867

as well as the doze state over time. NB: these two graphs are unrelated

Name:	02_crDroid_long_timebefore_deep-idle_cropped.png
Views:	276
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	4981871

There are also some Wake lock reports
Code:
Currently Running>Battery>Battery Stat Summaries
And you can ignore a specific app wake lock
Code:
Currently Running>Doze>Ignore App Wakelock>*APP*
I also have further details and more example graphs within the thread (as well as by other users), but specifically explain how to drill down to see what caused a drain at the post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=252

It also provides the raw data used to generate the graph, so you could do your own analysis.

Nothing extra is running during collecting the data. It uses the standard data that is inherently supplied within android already. You dont even need it installed during the data collection to have the data collected. You can install it just before you run the app/reports. So you could run a standard overnight battery drain test for BBS, then after collecting BBS data, run the two reports.

Two graphs are of interest.
i) The battery History graph using report 4 - shows drain rate vs time Which is found in the menu at
Code:
Currently Running>Battery>Battery History Graph
ii) Doze cycle graph - shows doze state vs time
Code:
Currently Running>Doze>Doze Cycle Graph
Reports can be saved off. Graphs as HTML, others as text

The battery history graph can also traverse reboots. I have managed to get just under 4 days history. But is dependent on your phone keeping the correct time.

There are multiple ways to look at the history, the most interesting for BBS users would be:
Code:
Currently Running>Battery>Battery History Graph>AUTO-WIDTHx8>4 - Discharge Rate as vertical height and Battery Level as the Gradient Colour (Green=100%, Red=0%)>4% - Idle drain - 25 hour battery life when 100% for 100% of graph
This shows the battery drain as the height of each vertical bar in the graph. The colour of the column is a graduated scale indicating the battery charge / level. And you can "click" on a graph bar to get the details.

To uninstall the app use:
Code:
TeMeFI Configuration>Self Destruct in ...3...2...1...
To download, the download link is in the OP
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ation-t3806260

attached is also another battery history report I ran during the day (ie not while in the perfect conditions of an overnight idle drain) So lets me know how my battery drain is operating while I am using the phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	batterydrainexample2.PNG
Views:	258
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	4981869  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
30th March 2020, 09:09 AM |#37011  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Help please
hi, my phone is consuming too much charge. I locked the screen in 100% of the night and slept, when I woke up in the morning it was 83%, only wifi was on. Nfc, mobile data, bluetooth off. What should I do? What is the problem? How do I enable bt_host_wake enable disable. I do not use a lot of bluetooth, and bluetooth, which ends the charge, we can cancel it completely.
(Greenify and hktweaks installed applications.
medium power saving enable)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
alarms, android, battery drain, battery monitor, battery stats, bbs, betterbatterystats, failed, wakelock, wakeup

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)