[Android 2.2+] CallRecorder - record phone calls from the phone line

1,162 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,897

By skvalex, Senior Member on 12th January 2012, 12:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th March 2020, 06:11 PM |#8411  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Haven't checked here in awhile ..alot to keep me busy unfortunately.

Samsung Note 10 plus Sprint USA version NON rooted Android 9 any hope?

v 3.3.3 still working on my note 8 without root with android 8

Thanks !
25th March 2020, 06:23 PM |#8412  
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSprintGuy

Samsung Note 10 plus Sprint USA version NON rooted Android 9 any hope?

No hopes. Only root or system recorder to record both sides on Android 9. But that device cannot be rooted and doesn't have built-in system recorder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skvalex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skvalex Ad-Free
25th March 2020, 06:55 PM |#8413  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skvalex

No hopes. Only root or system recorder to record both sides on Android 9. But that device cannot be rooted and doesn't have built-in system recorder.

I accept your logic, but why this post (see attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	call.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	4978821  
25th March 2020, 07:03 PM |#8414  
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSprintGuy

I accept your logic, but why this post (see attached)

The post says about microphone recording. Which means the other side can be heard only if the microphone can capture sound coming out of the speaker. You won't hear the other side if you use bluetooth headset. If recording is made in noisy environment, you most probably won't be able to understand what the other side is speaking.
The Following User Says Thank You to skvalex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skvalex Ad-Free
25th March 2020, 08:14 PM |#8415  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skvalex

Yes

Thank you
Unfortunately, its didn't help.
I also found that if I change to Speaker (while in call), and change back, it's remain in speaker mode (but the icon change back as normal).
When I "force stop" the call recorder app, all work find
28th March 2020, 12:00 PM |#8416  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Looks like cube acr is working for Pixel 2 using their voice recognition setting. I then installed it on my Pixel 2 XL my regular phone which has Call recorder installed (v3.3.5). Cube Acr recorded remote volume was decent. I do have a rugged case (unicorn beetle) on the phone.

I then played with call recorder setting seeing the thread about mono vs stereo
working
- voice uplink + downlink, mono,
- voice downlink, mono,
- voice uplink, mono

not work
- voice uplink + downlink, stereo, remote voice is scratchy
- voice processor mono, no remote voice at all

Will add more when I have a chance later

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ssurfer2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ssurfer2 Ad-Free
30th March 2020, 08:59 AM |#8417  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Hi,

Why does this notification pop up even when there is no call-activity:

Sometimes 2-3 times in a minute.
I even tried to disable notifications for the app. But I read "Enable notification in Settings > Interface & Appearance. Android considers apps with no notification as not important, therefore Call Recorder may be killed." So I enabled it again.

I have OnePlus 7T model HD1903, running on stuck Android 10 version 10.0.8.HD65BA.
My device is not rooted.
Yesterday, 05:37 PM |#8418  
Thanks Meter: 322

More
Hi there

I am coming from a different call recording solution, and I'd like this application to encrypt my existing recordings - how can I do that? I tried making the app see the existing recordings on my device, but not even that seems possible, even if I match up the naming syntax, folders, etc...? Does this app keep an internal database of which recordings are its own?

Kind Regards
TwinAdk
Yesterday, 07:01 PM |#8419  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinAdk

Hi there

I am coming from a different call recording solution, and I'd like this application to encrypt my existing recordings - how can I do that? I tried making the app see the existing recordings on my device, but not even that seems possible, even if I match up the naming syntax, folders, etc...? Does this app keep an internal database of which recordings are its own?

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

I can't speak to encryption, but I know a bit about how some call recording applications handle storing and accessing the recorded files and how to transfer that information.

I have been using Automatic Call Recorder by Appliqato. Long story short. I had to downgrade app versions to keep a feature I needed. After downgrading the application could no longer list (let alone playback) any of my previously recorded calls.

The really short version of how to get the information without root is to use the ADB interface to do an ADB [backup -apk -shared -all] command, unpack the .ab file to .tar via command line, open the .tar with 7zip or unpack via tar command line, then grab the package for the call recording application (basically the folder for it) or transfer it via command line, then find the database file the application uses, open it in a database viewer, and then transfer the information grid by grid to the other app's database file (similarly pulled via ADB backup). The database files were not transferable between versions in my experience (different columns were present; probably other differences too).

After getting all the information transferred, get the .db file (or other file type, if the app uses a different way to store this data) transferred to the new applications package folder. Then pack it up into a .tar, and pack that tar into an .ab, then use adb restore (just pointing out an obvious here - one should only pack up the package for the app you want to change - the rest of the application data pulled via adb backup shouldn't be present at all.).

Doing this between versions wasn't easy as the db viewer didn't much like pasting in fields from the other .db file. Doing a transfer between different applications might be quite tedious, but I expect it's possible, so long as the application is storing information in a database file.

With root, one wouldn't need to use ADB backup/restore. But process is still involved editing and transferring database files.

I won't know more unless I find I cannot get ACR to work the way I need to on my new phone. For example, if I end up needing to root for 100% reliable call recording, then I'll have to transfer things to an application like Skvalex's Call Recorder.

Also, doing that type of transition, might require converting all of the audio files into a format the application knows how to play. For example, some call recorders do not offer .aac recording, so it's unlikely they'd work well playing back an .aac file. So all .aac files would likely need converting, then editing the field in the database file noting storage location that the file type is <file name>.mp3 instead of <file name>.aac.

It's issues like that which keep me from dropping ACR. Just want that to be clear. Because what Skvalex is doing is really great work. It's a solution where otherwise there is nothing. And no call recording app is perfect in my experience.

For example:
ACR's audio capture is really high-quality. Especially in .aac. But ACR has no root option. And on my S5 it is call recording is unreliable for reasons unknown. The developer (Appliqato) offers basically no support or documentation which would help one troubleshoot.

Skvalex's Call Recorder capture quality with a similarly lossy format (mp3) isn't all that good. But if you record in .wav at 44.1-48khz then convert to .mp3 it improves; yet that's a lot of extra work if recording every call. However, Skvalex offers a version of the app which accesses Call Logs (so you can see numbers/names of incoming or outgoing calls not in contacts), he actively supports development, he seems to have pretty much pioneered including a working root method for recording calls, and because of that, it's most likely that despite the lower capture quality of audio the application will provide more reliable call recording, with or without root.

There's a lot of guides out there, which will need to be read and pieced together to get a database transfer done between app versions or between different recording applications. And even then, it won't be simple or noob friendly. Eventually I'll try to make a guide to this which consolidates things so that it's not too hard. It's a very niche problem. I'm still in the middle of my own issues, so I don't know when I'd be able to do that guide. Until then...good hunting.
Yesterday, 11:20 PM |#8420  
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinAdk

What's naming syntax other app uses? Can you post few examples?

In general, it's possible through System Recorder method:
1. Set method to System Recorder
2. Set System Recorder's folder to the other app's folder
3. Click "Import recording" - read the message
Then switch back to Standard API method.
Yesterday, 11:49 PM |#8421  
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastQuestion

Skvalex's Call Recorder capture quality with a similarly lossy format (mp3) isn't all that good. But if you record in .wav at 44.1-48khz then convert to .mp3 it improves; yet that's a lot of extra work if recording every call.

1. There's no difference if you set 44.1-48kHz and recording format set to mp3 or you record in WAV and then convert to MP3. The same code is used. But make sure you use Standard API. ROOT method may differ, but it's going to be removed soon anyway.
2. There's no point in using voice recording on most phones. The system usually provides only 8-16kHz for in-call audio. Then it upsamples if an app requires higher rate from the system. So it just unnecessarily wastes resources. But if the app records from the microphone (if it's unrooted Android 9/10), then yes. Higher rates may provide a little bit better quality.
3. Also, I don't think that mp3 is a good format for voice recording. I prefer OPUS or FLAC.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
call rec, call recording, callrec

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)