FORUMS

[APP][Root][OFFICIAL] AdAway v4.3.4 :: [2020-04-25]

625 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,132

Post Reply Email Thread
9th May 2020, 11:25 AM |#14751  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
I have application kite. Trading app, not able to open any details on it. It shows connection error.

If I disable adaway it works. I used dns log but no dns came except time.android.com

I whitelisted it and also kite.zerodha.com but still not opening. Any help is appreciated, in big problem as have to use application daily at all times.

I am on 4.3.4, using adaway for years but no issues. It has started due to new host or adaway update. Please help what to whitelist if someone can help
9th May 2020, 04:54 PM |#14752  
Asheville, NC
Thanks Meter: 1,178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

The other thing that could of changed, is the actual hosts in your selected host sources. Do not forget, its the resultant hosts that block things, not directly AdAway, and I am guessing you used both versions separated with time, which means one or more hosts lists could of changed.

I have 2 devices with different versions, but both updated. CNN works on one but not the other.
9th May 2020, 07:09 PM |#14753  
Flag Ao Nang, Krabi
Thanks Meter: 411

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaww

I have 2 devices with different versions, but both updated. CNN works on one but not the other.

Might have something to do with this:
"Add broadcast receiver to control ad-blocking from third party applications"
https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/blo...r/CHANGELOG.md

I think it might be blocking certain broadcast receivers which can be detected by apps. I have a game which complains about some receivers missing, but after that it runs fine.
Other apps might not run when certain receivers are missing.

This is all just a guess. I'm not even 100% sure if I interpreted the meaning of that line in the changelog correct.
10th May 2020, 02:23 AM |#14754  
Asheville, NC
Thanks Meter: 1,178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDread11

Might have something to do with this:
"Add broadcast receiver to control ad-blocking from third party applications"
https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/blo...r/CHANGELOG.md

I think it might be blocking certain broadcast receivers which can be detected by apps. I have a game which complains about some receivers missing, but after that it runs fine.
Other apps might not run when certain receivers are missing.

This is all just a guess. I'm not even 100% sure if I interpreted the meaning of that line in the changelog correct.

Turns out that 5.0.2 was not effectively blocking adds, even though it looked like it was successfully installed and activated.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaww For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gaww Ad-Free
10th May 2020, 07:26 AM |#14755  
Thanks Meter: 295

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

Again !? :'( I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the report!

...'

Today v4.3.4 arrived at F-droid. Thank you very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to rogers11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rogers11 Ad-Free
10th May 2020, 08:22 AM |#14756  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,958

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaww

If you wish to understand it better, grab the host file off both devices and compare. They should be the same, if they are using the exact same host sources and were updated at the same time.

If they are using the same host sources, and the resultant host files are different, then that may be something the dev may be interested in, unless it was a known issue that has been fixed between versions.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
10th May 2020, 10:57 AM |#14757  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6,132

Donate to Me
More
Hi all,

It's been two weeks since the last update and it's time for another round of new features and bug fixes!
The big new feature is the web server improvement. It was a long time feature request and it now serves HTTPS pages. That means I can fix the broken resource sad grey icon that appears instead of ads.
For now, it only supports adsense (Google) ads but I plan to support more ad networks later. (I'll talk to jaws101 to pick the most used.)
For this, I need use a fake self-signed certificate for the server that will match the ad network domain. You need to install it from ad blocker preference screen in order to make you browser accept the web server https responses.
Another nice feature is the sad icon is replaced by a light AdAway icon. It's way better than the sad grey icon but if you prefer having an empty blank space, there is an option for that. (the icon as the blank space will take the space the ad has, no more no less)

There is some other new features, like the "Follow dark theme system settings" to match the system theme.

About bug fixes, I fixed user host list item being remove on source update (sorry!) and I improved (once again) the negative time issue by adding some workaround for time not synced servers.
There is some minor bug fixes about backup, like import error toast wrong label or the duplication of imported hosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcity

I'm using the VPN based 5.0.2 version of Adaway and if I try to log DNS requests to block ads in some apps the log is always empty.
I deactivate Adaway before and also private DNS like mentioned in the wiki. As the wiki is mainly about the 4.x builds for rooted devices I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcity

I'm with you that the DNS request screen shows nothing (I mentioned that before https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...53&p=82504667)

Unlike the root blocking method, you need to have the vpn adblocking enable when logging request. It might need a label to warn users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers11

Today v4.3.4 arrived at F-droid. Thank you very much.

Thanks! But it wasn't me ^^' I planned to do it today for the release but I'm glad it is back in order.

Changelog:
  • Add TLS support for web server
  • Add web server status in preferences
  • Add option to install self signed certificate
  • Add option to display app icon instead of blank page
  • Add full timezone support for source date
  • Add workaround for negative source update time when server time is not accurate
  • Add follow system dark theme mode
  • Fix user host list lost on source update
  • Fix import failed toast
  • Fix web server not start on install
  • Fix duplicate host entry on backup import
  • Update mongoose server
  • Update translations

Special thanks to saltylemondrops, zgfg, ipdev99 and mickrussom for their bug reports.

Download:

AdAway 5.0.3
The Following 78 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
10th May 2020, 11:01 AM |#14758  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Thank you for the hard work and updates @PerfectSlayer!
The Following User Says Thank You to bluey45 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bluey45 Ad-Free
10th May 2020, 12:59 PM |#14759  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Could be completely blind, but in version 4 I could see the custom sites I added to be blocked (e.g. for my banking app). I can see all of these in the *.json export from version 5, but not in the version 5 app itself.

EDIT: Found it. In the blocked tab, there is an icon in the top right corner, which toggles your custom blocked list with the system downloaded blocked list(s).
10th May 2020, 01:42 PM |#14761  
Greece
Thanks Meter: 62

More
What list I must use for games (coin master) and for xda app?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)