Thanks Meter: 6,131

Post Reply Email Thread
15th May 2020, 10:18 AM |#14821  
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 1,985

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by masri1987

Q: using v5 beta, amazon app thinks i have no internet, but when i disable the adblock, amazon app works fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyman

Same issue as you.

Try to whitelist this string, rebuild the host file and reboot the device:

*.amazon-adsystem.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FullWipe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FullWipe Ad-Free
15th May 2020, 10:50 AM |#14822  
Flag S.Jersey
Thanks Meter: 107

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullWipe

*.amazon-adsystem.com

*.amazon-adsystem.com does not work.
Disabling web works for me...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to vandyman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vandyman Ad-Free
16th May 2020, 02:06 AM |#14823  
Flag Kennesaw, GA
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:

Disabling web server works for me as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to tard24 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tard24 Ad-Free
16th May 2020, 08:26 AM |#14824  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Quote:

@vandyman @PerfectSlayer

Disabling web server solved not just the amazon app problem, also another app works correct again (with running web server this app shows "ssl error, please try again later", with deactivated web server works fine).
Maybe there's something wrong with the web server in 5.0.3/4.3.4 (tried both), never had a problem with web server running in previous versions

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs
16th May 2020, 11:25 AM |#14825  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,410

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyborian

Yes, I have come to that conclusion. Sometimes Play Store is fine, sometimes not. Like when I want something quickly or want to apply an update, it just stays on "Waiting to download" and I have to go do all the stuff to make it work. On all my devices, it just doesn't want to play nicely with Naptime Doze active, no problem with Greenify's Doze.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, unfortunately, I didn't feel like spending time to find out what to whitelist (I was just using AdAway's defaults), as it was easier to switch to Energized magisk module and use similar hosts to adaway (Sparks pack, the lowest). Voila, no ads, and Google Play Store is perfect. My ad-blocking needs are simple.

Will revisit AdAway one day when needed, it has the UI after all for DNS logging.

You may have the best of two worlds: Install AdAway, add energized hosts file as source to AdAway and disable the default sources...
16th May 2020, 12:21 PM |#14826  
Thanks Meter: 1,509

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullWipe

*.amazon-adsystem.com

For me this did actually work, thanks!
I deinstalled amazon, did your stuff, and reinstalled it after the reboot. Maybe that did the trick?
16th May 2020, 07:43 PM |#14827  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6,131

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfg

Hence features and reliability is first and foremost. Colors, icons, layout (is it trendy and now metal design), skins (yeah, specially themes or skins) I personally don't care (at all) - it is only important that there are no bugs in the UI, that clicks do what they are supposed to do.
From the layout perspective it is most important that you can easily find how to do when and what you need to do, and that most often actions are accessible with less clicks

So I was the user of AdAway for certainly four or five years (not because of its design but because of its features, functionality and reliability!!!), and already on seven or eight devices (maybe more). Whenever possible (depending on the launcher) I 'hide' it to the app drawer

Agreed. That's why I try to fix as hard as I can the reliability issues or any issue related with hosts computation.
When users starts to discuss about UI, it could be 2 things: 1) you really failed it (and I hope not), 2) the core features are working well enough so the users now focus on UI improvements ^^'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

'Lite' AdAway : It would have a single option to input hosts URLs, a single button to fetch them, merge them without duplicates, and output a hosts file in a specified filesystem location.

Nothing else. No fancy UI, no preferences, no whitelist / blacklist / purple list, no VPN, no DNS log, no server, no Rootisk systemic mount atomic button, no transmogrifier, no, no. Nothing. Not even root required, put the file in /sdcard for all I care.

That's an interesting point of view. I never thought they was a need for this use case.
The more I evolve the app, the more I try to make it do all the hard work the easiest possible. But I never aim at doing the simplest app possible.
I can easily make an Activity dedicated to a such feature and you will never be bother by the other stuff.
The question is, what makes you think the minimal features you choose are enough and the right ones?
(I fear users start requesting more and more features or options like the regular app...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingsaller

@vandyman @PerfectSlayer

Disabling web server solved not just the amazon app problem, also another app works correct again (with running web server this app shows "ssl error, please try again later", with deactivated web server works fine).
Maybe there's something wrong with the web server in 5.0.3/4.3.4 (tried both), never had a problem with web server running in previous versions

If you have a look to the changelog, the webserver now serves https page in addition to http.
You need to install the custom certificate from app settings to fix the ssl error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiLynch

Hi @PerfectSlayer , I've finally jumped to v5.0.3 and I have to say, I love what you did to the design! Information is much clearer than before and to the users reach, without having to search through long menus for each section. I also like that you moved the menu to the bottom, so nice for these ridiculously large phones. Great job!
The addition of a the non-root option is also great. adAway is definitely going on all my family a friend's phones now!

However, as an industrial designer, I thought some details could be polished a little.
I do like the idea of the icons coming out of the button box, it gives it a 3D feel, which I guess is what you were going after. However, when I first saw them I thought it was a graphic bug for a split second. I think this happened mainly because of the transparency on those icons, which let's you see part of the red background through them.

So I asked a friend of mine who is a UX designer to give me his opinion. He had never heard of the app before, which is great to test the impact on a new user.
He agreed with my observation and also pointed out two more things.
He said it is indeed nice having the menu on the bottom of the screen, but it's a convention that the burger icon goes on the top left corner, and moving it away can confuse the user experience. Since there is only two items in that menu, he suggested putting them next to the pause button, since that bar is already existing for the burger menu.

He also pointed out that the big box in the middle was a little confusing for him. He didn't understand if that was one big button, if it was just information, if there was two or 3 buttons inside it.

So based on this feedback, I made some little tweaks keeping the essence of your original design.
Please don't take it badly. It's meant to be constructive criticism with suggestions for improvement. Feel free to use whatever you like, as well as to ignore this if you don't like them.

First, thank for your feedback!
Don't worry, I don't take it badly. It's nice to see some new ideas and solid proposals.

> He said it is indeed nice having the menu on the bottom of the screen, but it's a convention that the burger icon goes on the top left corner, and moving it away can confuse the user experience.
Agreed. I use the latest design guideline and only few apps migrated to it. It feels weird to me too at the begin.
But the new design tends to remove the burger menu. Maybe I need to rework the menu integration to make it more obvious.

> I first saw them I thought it was a graphic bug for a split second
You are not the only one, I got similar bug report in GitHub.

The V5 is still a beta and I think there will improvements before the final release.
I try to do the best by myself, a friend as graphic designer help me with the new design but she's not related to Android so I try to merge her ideas with the latest Android design components.
Another big improvement possible could come from an Google Design Expert that won a Material Design award in the past. I had the opportunity to present the app to him and he proposes to help me when he finds time.
I don't want to push him but it could be really helpful if he participates. In the meantime, if you or your friend want to discuss and improve things, you're more than welcome
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
16th May 2020, 08:02 PM |#14828  
Thanks Meter: 966

More
@PerfectSlayer

I just want to say your commitment to this app is impressive. I have never seen someone so fast on fixes and so frequently helpful in the forums . We appreciate it
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Josh McGrath For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Josh McGrath Ad-Free
16th May 2020, 08:21 PM |#14829  
Thanks Meter: 423

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

[...]
The big new feature is the web server improvement. It was a long time feature request and it now serves HTTPS pages. That means I can fix the broken resource sad grey icon that appears instead of ads.
For now, it only supports adsense (Google) ads but I plan to support more ad networks later. (I'll talk to jaws101 to pick the most used.)
For this, I need use a fake self-signed certificate for the server that will match the ad network domain.
[...]

Could such a certificate make sense for your usecase?
https://github.com/flotwig/the-one-cert
16th May 2020, 08:40 PM |#14830  
Thanks Meter: 1,063

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

You need to install the custom certificate from app settings to fix the ssl error.

I don't really know how this works (any pointers to reading materials would be nice), so is it secure? Also, when installing the certificate, do I select the "VPN and Apps" option, or do I select the "Wi-Fi" option?
16th May 2020, 09:18 PM |#14831  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
If you have a look to the changelog, the webserver now serves https page in addition to http.

@PerfectSlayer

Same problems with amazon app and the ssl error with or without installed custom certificate (tried every option) - deactivated web server no probs

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)