Yes, I have come to that conclusion. Sometimes Play Store is fine, sometimes not. Like when I want something quickly or want to apply an update, it just stays on "Waiting to download" and I have to go do all the stuff to make it work. On all my devices, it just doesn't want to play nicely with Naptime Doze active, no problem with Greenify's Doze.
Anyway, thanks for the tip, unfortunately, I didn't feel like spending time to find out what to whitelist (I was just using AdAway's defaults), as it was easier to switch to Energized magisk module and use similar hosts to adaway (Sparks pack, the lowest). Voila, no ads, and Google Play Store is perfect. My ad-blocking needs are simple.
Will revisit AdAway one day when needed, it has the UI after all for DNS logging.
Hence features and reliability is first and foremost. Colors, icons, layout (is it trendy and now metal design), skins (yeah, specially themes or skins) I personally don't care (at all) - it is only important that there are no bugs in the UI, that clicks do what they are supposed to do.
From the layout perspective it is most important that you can easily find how to do when and what you need to do, and that most often actions are accessible with less clicks
So I was the user of AdAway for certainly four or five years (not because of its design but because of its features, functionality and reliability!!!), and already on seven or eight devices (maybe more). Whenever possible (depending on the launcher) I 'hide' it to the app drawer
'Lite' AdAway : It would have a single option to input hosts URLs, a single button to fetch them, merge them without duplicates, and output a hosts file in a specified filesystem location.
Nothing else. No fancy UI, no preferences, no whitelist / blacklist / purple list, no VPN, no DNS log, no server, no Rootisk systemic mount atomic button, no transmogrifier, no, no. Nothing. Not even root required, put the file in /sdcard for all I care.
Disabling web server solved not just the amazon app problem, also another app works correct again (with running web server this app shows "ssl error, please try again later", with deactivated web server works fine).
Maybe there's something wrong with the web server in 5.0.3/4.3.4 (tried both), never had a problem with web server running in previous versions
Hi @PerfectSlayer , I've finally jumped to v5.0.3 and I have to say, I love what you did to the design! Information is much clearer than before and to the users reach, without having to search through long menus for each section. I also like that you moved the menu to the bottom, so nice for these ridiculously large phones. Great job!
The addition of a the non-root option is also great. adAway is definitely going on all my family a friend's phones now!
However, as an industrial designer, I thought some details could be polished a little.
I do like the idea of the icons coming out of the button box, it gives it a 3D feel, which I guess is what you were going after. However, when I first saw them I thought it was a graphic bug for a split second. I think this happened mainly because of the transparency on those icons, which let's you see part of the red background through them.
So I asked a friend of mine who is a UX designer to give me his opinion. He had never heard of the app before, which is great to test the impact on a new user.
He agreed with my observation and also pointed out two more things.
He said it is indeed nice having the menu on the bottom of the screen, but it's a convention that the burger icon goes on the top left corner, and moving it away can confuse the user experience. Since there is only two items in that menu, he suggested putting them next to the pause button, since that bar is already existing for the burger menu.
He also pointed out that the big box in the middle was a little confusing for him. He didn't understand if that was one big button, if it was just information, if there was two or 3 buttons inside it.
So based on this feedback, I made some little tweaks keeping the essence of your original design.
Please don't take it badly. It's meant to be constructive criticism with suggestions for improvement. Feel free to use whatever you like, as well as to ignore this if you don't like them.
The big new feature is the web server improvement. It was a long time feature request and it now serves HTTPS pages. That means I can fix the broken resource sad grey icon that appears instead of ads.
For now, it only supports adsense (Google) ads but I plan to support more ad networks later. (I'll talk to jaws101 to pick the most used.)
For this, I need use a fake self-signed certificate for the server that will match the ad network domain.
|ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|