FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,557 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,281

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th May 2020, 06:51 AM |#12161  
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasay.65

I am currently using xiaomi redmi 4a with crdroid android 10.
I am looking for a new smartphone which would be as cheap as possible and also have stable android 10 custom rom support (my redmi 4a is almost bug-free).
Which would be the best device to buy?

some say the Nokia 1310 has Android 12 XD.

joke aside, you could get yourself a Samsung S6. is quite popular as ever, still getting tons of custom ROMs every year. wouldn't surprise me to get Android 11 on it this year
16th May 2020, 10:02 PM |#12162  
Flag Anywhere and Everywhere
Thanks Meter: 365

More
For a fact the 3A XL sales are soon to come for more budget minded consumers right before or when the 4A is released.

I myself haven't experienced any major problems or issues with neither the 2 XL or 3A XL.

The oneplus phones are also a great deal depending on your budget.

Also noticed this phone as well, hardware/specs looks promising only negatives are the unspectacular photos but possible to get better with updates and or gcam and bands only for AT&T, T-Mobile, GSM. Review here:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-p...10-pro-review/

Currently using Verizon Google Pixel 2 XL
Retired: Verizon Motorola Moto Z2 Play
Retired: Verizon LG G4, Model: LG-VS986
Retired: Motorola DROID RAZR HD, Model: XT926
17th May 2020, 11:58 AM |#12163  
Flag karachi
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend221

What's your price range? Max willing to buy a new device?

Just saw this about the Pixel 4A looks to be the latest leak.

https://youtu.be/Q_0VT0hLJSQ

Currently using Verizon Google Pixel 2 XL
Retired: Verizon Motorola Moto Z2 Play
Retired: Verizon LG G4, Model: LG-VS986
Retired: Motorola DROID RAZR HD, Model: XT926

My price range is very low. Like 80-100 Dollars.
17th May 2020, 12:57 PM |#12164  

More
Quote:

actually, if you want the cheapest most supported phone, go with Oneplus One. it has a lot of custom roms available, and at least 4 roms with Android 10. might be the cheapest and the best for your money
The Following User Says Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 08:41 PM |#12165  

More
Quote:

Poco phone, Xiaomi or Realme, or used market due to how low you're trying to buy it for. Just make sure bands are compatible for use in your country.
19th May 2020, 07:25 PM |#12166  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey all, I'm new at smartphones. Gonna buy my first soon. Looking for some recommendations

Budget is around ~300. I'm looking for something solid that will last me a long time. 5 years at least. I'm thrifty, not the type to buy something new every 2 years, so I'm ready to pay for quality that will last long (if that's what you recommend).

My use case: I mostly need one as a pocket computer when I'm away from home (got no laptop). GPS, messaging, browsing, as well as music/audiobooks, reading, mobile games as a way to pass time while traveling. Battery is a concern. Also carrying heavy files between places, so memory expandability is a big plus. I'm not too concerned about camera quality but it's a plus.

I live in France. I've looked at many smartphones. The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro seems like a really good deal at ~185€, but I'm concerned about the UI which I hear is bad and the spying practices of chinese manufacturers. The Motorola G8+ also seems like a good deal at ~225. The Realme X2/Samsung A50 are also appealing at ~270/250, and the Samsung A71 seems great but is getting really expensive as the cheapest I can find here is ~370 (330 used).

Thanks
20th May 2020, 08:31 AM |#12167  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modinstaller

Hey all, I'm new at smartphones. Gonna buy my first soon. Looking for some recommendations

Budget is around ~300. I'm looking for something solid that will last me a long time. 5 years at least. I'm thrifty, not the type to buy something new every 2 years, so I'm ready to pay for quality that will last long (if that's what you recommend).

My use case: I mostly need one as a pocket computer when I'm away from home (got no laptop). GPS, messaging, browsing, as well as music/audiobooks, reading, mobile games as a way to pass time while traveling. Battery is a concern. Also carrying heavy files between places, so memory expandability is a big plus. I'm not too concerned about camera quality but it's a plus.

I live in France. I've looked at many smartphones. The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro seems like a really good deal at ~185€, but I'm concerned about the UI which I hear is bad and the spying practices of chinese manufacturers. The Motorola G8+ also seems like a good deal at ~225. The Realme X2/Samsung A50 are also appealing at ~270/250, and the Samsung A71 seems great but is getting really expensive as the cheapest I can find here is ~370 (330 used).

Thanks

I am using a Xiaomi Note 8 pro. Good battery life, you can even get 4 days on a single charge. Very good performance, the phone runs Android 9. The upcoming Miui 12 promises a lot of eye candy in graphics department plus privacy and security. The UI works smoothly, hadn't had a stutter in settings or any other app. Granted, I use launchers with every phone I had. Nova or Lawnchair work good. Everyone nowadays is interested in your data, from Apple, Google to Xiaomi or Realme. So I would suggest you buy this one, Xiaomi really improves the device. The moment I had a bug, it was fixed d the following day. The European version contains less to none ads. Like if you follow a 5 min tutorial on YouTube, you are getting rid of every ad available. Custom ROM problem aside (Mediatek isn't dev friendly, therefore there are less custom roms available than on some snapdragon counterparts. on the other hand is way cheaper and delivers the same performance), hadn't had any problem with resource hungry apps, like games or Adobe. The phone feels good in hand, corning gorilla glass, the camera is good. Let's say 8.5/10. The video recording is amazing. I do recommend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
20th May 2020, 03:58 PM |#12168  
Flag cd. del carmen Mexico
Thanks Meter: 72

More
nice forum, here you can have a big idea on what divice we can get out there... We have to have a clear idea of what we want from our new divice, what can we do with it. And the compatibility with you know (root, unlock etc. Sorry 4 my inglish.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
20th May 2020, 06:14 PM |#12169  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modinstaller

Thanks

Something that will last you at least 5 years would be a one plus device. Xiaomi might have the specs and performance but my brother that has a Mi 9 just swapped you another phone due to network problems in the U.S. With the imported Mi. It's factory unlocked so why he is having so many issues is a mystery.

Motorola just released the Power and Stylus within that price bracket. Also the Pixel 3A XL and Pixel 4A is soon to be released.

Shoot for the Samsung A51 or A71 if you can. A50 and A70 I've heard are good choices as well.

Older generation flagship LG V series phones are always appearing online at deep discounted prices.

As always before buy make sure that the phone company you are using have all the compatible bands so you don't run into any reception issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to legend221 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift legend221 Ad-Free
21st May 2020, 05:06 PM |#12170  
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 1

More
HI!

I searched the forum high and low and am a bit lost in my own thoughts...

I had a Xiaomi Mi A3 which had Bluetooth problems that couldn't get solved, so I sent it back to Amazon after just five Months. Before that I had a Mi A2 and before that a Mi Mix 2 and those have only been the last one and a half years. So I had bad experiences with Xiaomi and I need a new phone. At the moment, I'm using my Nexus 4 with Lineage 17.1. Terrible battery life but the fact that it works at all is just beautifull.

I need a phone with good bluetooth connectivity for home office and the car. I also would like to have a phone that I can care for myself on the software side. It would also be nice if the 200€ refund from amazon would be enough to buy a new phone. My thoughts at the moment are Moto Z, Moto Z2 Play, Moto X4, Axon 7, Nexus 5x, Sony X Performance or....

Any suggestions? If the phone has a physical Fingerprint sensor and a classical DIsplay without notch, that would be a bonus. What has to be there is a USB-C port.

Cheers,

MoWe
21st May 2020, 06:39 PM |#12171  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowe1983

HI!

I searched the forum high and low and am a bit lost in my own thoughts...

I had a Xiaomi Mi A3 which had Bluetooth problems that couldn't get solved, so I sent it back to Amazon after just five Months. Before that I had a Mi A2 and before that a Mi Mix 2 and those have only been the last one and a half years. So I had bad experiences with Xiaomi and I need a new phone. At the moment, I'm using my Nexus 4 with Lineage 17.1. Terrible battery life but the fact that it works at all is just beautifull.

I need a phone with good bluetooth connectivity for home office and the car. I also would like to have a phone that I can care for myself on the software side. It would also be nice if the 200€ refund from amazon would be enough to buy a new phone. My thoughts at the moment are Moto Z, Moto Z2 Play, Moto X4, Axon 7, Nexus 5x, Sony X Performance or....

Any suggestions? If the phone has a physical Fingerprint sensor and a classical DIsplay without notch, that would be a bonus. What has to be there is a USB-C port.

Cheers,

MoWe

Well, allow me to give you my opinion on a Xiaomi smartphone, who knows, maybe you just had bad luck so far.

I am using a Xiaomi Note 8 pro. Good battery life, you can even get 4 days on a single charge. Very good performance, the phone runs Android 9. The upcoming Miui 12 promises a lot of eye candy in graphics department plus privacy and security. The UI works smoothly, hadn't had a stutter in settings or any other app. Granted, I use launchers with every phone I had. Nova or Lawnchair work good. Everyone nowadays is interested in your data, from Apple, Google to Xiaomi or Realme. So I would suggest you buy this one, Xiaomi really improves the device. The moment I had a bug, it was fixed d the following day. The European version contains less to none ads. Like if you follow a 5 min tutorial on YouTube, you are getting rid of every ad available. Custom ROM problem aside (Mediatek isn't dev friendly, therefore there are less custom roms available than on some snapdragon counterparts. on the other hand is way cheaper and delivers the same performance), hadn't had any problem with resource hungry apps, like games or Adobe. The phone feels good in hand, corning gorilla glass, the camera is good. Let's say 8.5/10. The video recording is amazing. I do recommend.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)