626 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,169

Post Reply Email Thread
23rd May 2020, 05:18 AM |#14851  
Thanks Meter: 415

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

When users starts to discuss about UI, it could be 2 things: 1) you really failed it (and I hope not), 2) the core features are working well enough so the users now focus on UI improvements ^^'

(...)

You are not the only one, I got similar bug report in GitHub.

The V5 is still a beta and I think there will improvements before the final release.
I try to do the best by myself, a friend as graphic designer help me with the new design but she's not related to Android so I try to merge her ideas with the latest Android design components.
Another big improvement possible could come from an Google Design Expert that won a Material Design award in the past. I had the opportunity to present the app to him and he proposes to help me when he finds time.
I don't want to push him but it could be really helpful if he participates. In the meantime, if you or your friend want to discuss and improve things, you're more than welcome

Well, option 2 applies to this case.
Everything is working well for me, except for the youtube history problem, which is easily solved by whitelisting s.youtube.com.
Plus I don't like complaining from behind a keyborard. So, since I don't know how to code apps, the only thing felt I could help with was making some UI suggestions.

I don't have a lot of free time either, but I'd be glad to help with whatever you need!
The Following User Says Thank You to TomiLynch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TomiLynch Ad-Free
23rd May 2020, 09:24 AM |#14852  
Thanks Meter: 1,513

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

As for DNS logging..
When you notice the error, did you start it from inside the adaway app or did you just long press the adaway icon and select it from the menu?

I have had it happen were DNS Logging returns no results a few times but, it was random and I can not reproduce it at will. When it happened, restarting adaway fixed it.
Android/Google glitch or some random app that caused the issue?

If you notice it again, or think back, what did you do prior to running the DNS logging?
For me it was starting and closing the app in question. Start DNS Logging and try the app again. Go to DNS requests and swipe(pull) down to refresh the screen.
Normally this works proper but, a few times it came back empty.
Once I figure out how to reproduce it at will, I'll log it and make a bug report if necessary.

Cheers.

Ok, thanks it helped. I always restart the app before logging and try to test with a new url to be sure that the resolved ip address is not cached

But to refresh log in AdAway one must swipe up and down and still wait a second or two and log will be refreshed

So I have two phones, both running AdAway 5.0.3, latest versions of Chrome and Brave, both browsers configured not to use their built-in AdBlocks

On the rooted phone (AdAway using hosts file), both browsers obey the blocked/blacklisted (and whitelisted) rules from AdAway and AdAway can log their allowed and blocked DNS requests

On the not-rooted phone (AdAway using VPN), blaclisting, whitelisting and logging is also ok for Chrome but not for Brave - it opens all sites (no matter if they are blocked) and I see no DNS requests log from Brave in AdAway

Again, I did disable Brave's internal AdBlock (Settings, Privacy)

I'm not using Brave a lot but being curious what is different for Brave if AdAway is using hosts or VPN method
The Following User Says Thank You to zgfg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zgfg Ad-Free
23rd May 2020, 12:36 PM |#14853  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 723

Donate to Me
More
Using 5.0.3 and noticed that in Your Lists section there's a bunch of greyed out URLs that I didn't add and that I can't get rid of. If I tap the top right square looking icon it shows my list which I can modify. I'm guessing it's a bug? See screenshot for what I'm seeing. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200523-133227.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	5024799  
23rd May 2020, 08:01 PM |#14854  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
deleted!
23rd May 2020, 11:40 PM |#14855  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 723

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingsaller

@visceralpsyche
These "greyed out"URLs are set by and depends from your installed hosts files - it's not a bug.
Read the help file, it's explained there....

Don't see it mentioned in Help? But the host files blacklist isn't MY custom additions, so why is it showing in that section is my question. Anyway, thanks for replying 😊👍
23rd May 2020, 11:57 PM |#14856  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
deleted!
24th May 2020, 12:56 AM |#14857  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by visceralpsyche

Don't see it mentioned in Help? But the host files blacklist isn't MY custom additions, so why is it showing in that section is my question. Anyway, thanks for replying 😊👍

Open your Host sources list. Copy one of the URLs to the browser, e.g
https://adaway.org/hosts.txt
and open it in the browser

Give some time to the browser to load the file. Scroll down and you will find eg a line there:
127.0.0.1 analytics.163.com

So, analytics.163.com is exactly one of your "greyed out" domains in your Blacklist.
It is there in your Blacklist because AdAway loaded it from the corresponding hosts source file

If you really want to remove that eg analytics.163.com from your "Blacklist" then use a root explorer like MiXPlorer, navigate to /system/etc/hosts file, open it as a text file, find the line with that domain and remove that line or comment the line out.
Reboot and you will no more find that domain in AdAway, Blacklist.
Note: This applies if you have a rooted phone and if you use hosts (not VPN) method in AdAway

But this does not make sense anyway, because the next time when AdAway will (auto) update hosts sources, it will again blacklist that same domain because it will find that domain again in the hosts source file

Hence instead, put that domain you don't want to be blacklisted to the Whitelist. Although that domain will still remain in the Blacklist, Whitelist will override it in a way that url will be no more blocked for DNS resolving.
Note: Whitelist applies both to hosts and VPN method

You must understand:
- how DNS resolving works (through the hosts file or via VPN, depending on which method you use)
- what are the hosts source files
If you are not familiar with, please read the Wiki and search and learn by googling

Once you get familiar with, you will see that editing th greyed-out blacklisted domains makes no sence (as for the reasons about updating the hosts source files) and that you better get the same result (that will survive your updating of the host source files) by using the Whitelust

Of course, if you are not happy with the content of a certain hosts source file (why it blacklists certain domains) then contact the maintainer of that host source file, or disable/remove that hosts source file from your list in AdAway and google to find another hosts source file you would be more happy with its choice of the blocked domains

But be aware that certain domains might be (black)listed in various host source files. You remove or disable one host source file but if AdAway finds the same domain (you didn't like it to be blacklisted) in another host source file from your lust, that domain will be still greyed-out in your Blacklist

If you are not happy with the available hosts sources, you can start maintaining youur own one. Or just manually fill like ten thousand of domains to your AdAway Blacklist
The Following User Says Thank You to zgfg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zgfg Ad-Free
24th May 2020, 06:39 AM |#14858  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtiff1

It seems occasionally 5.0.3 doesn't allow data to go through. I have to force close. I'm using non root. I can't click on to allow to send bug report. Any ideas

I noticed this too!
24th May 2020, 10:42 AM |#14859  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6,169

Donate to Me
More
Hi all,

I hope all of us are well. It's two weeks ago from the last beta and it's time to ship a lot of bug fixes (again!).
I finally wrote database unit tests and fixed a lot of related bugs. I had to rewrite some internal tables but it should be way better now.
Moreover I finally fix how to disable the automatic source update from settings.
But this beta in not only a bunch of bug fixis, VPN ad blocking also received improvement: it knows support redirection (IPv4 and IPv6). It's still a preview but I hope it will do the trick.
And I removed the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission required for backup export by using the latest Android Storage Access Framework (SAF).

Another good news is Intel finally makes a price cut in its latest CPU (Comet Lake). It will be time for me to invest in a new computer
Mine is 7 years old and I start to see its limits. I just bought a new PSU (Power Supply Unit) to replace my 10y old PSU because I'm scared it breaks and takes all my hardware away with it...
Having more cores and ram and moving to SSD / M2 drives will definitely ease the app development! Thanks to all donations, it will lighten the bill. Thanks a lot to all of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfg

1) It is practically not possible to open and edit White list while updating the hosts sources. It takes ages and the list is irresponsive during that time.
To make it worse, it asks for re-Applying upon adding each new domain, and then again you must wait until it updates through the whole hosts sources list to be able to continue with editing the list

2) Black list (at any time, not just while updating the hosts sources) is also terribly irresponsive.
I want to manually add a domain to my Black list, I click the black icon top-right and it takes ages until it switches from the complete/long list of all domains blocked per hosts sources to my personal Black list with just few manually added blocked domains

To make things worse, there is no turning wheel or sand watch or anyting, hence user could have no idea what is going on and e.g. for (2) he may press the icon several times, which would just additionally block AdAway while it would try to reload the complete/long list of all Blocked domains

It's strange. It should be using a paging library to be fast and responsive. Could you check the last beta? I made some improvements but not sure it fixes your case.
Can you also share a backup so I can test your configuration and benchmark it?

Changelog:
  • Improve overall host list computation
  • Add host redirected feature in VPN ad blocking
  • Remove WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission (use Storage Access Framework instead)
  • Fix duplicate entries in generated hosts file
  • Fix allowed hosts settings in VPN ad blocking
  • Fix backup not exported as sdcard not writable
  • Fix source update period task preference
  • Fix host list paging

Special thanks to holysnipz, ipdev99, QingKongBaiYu, and zgfg for their bug reports.

Download:

AdAway 5.0.4
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
24th May 2020, 02:31 PM |#14860  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

...It's strange. It should be using a paging library to be fast and responsive. Could you check the last beta? I made some improvements but not sure it fixes your case.
Can you also share a backup so I can test your configuration and benchmark it?

Thank you for your updates and hope you are also doing well in your life

Updated to 5.0.4 directly by the update notification - thanks

Updated my hosts sources and restarted the phone (Xiaomi, Mi 9T, rooted).
Then I forced update of my all twelve hosts sources and started the screen-recording.
Opened Whitelist (it never came to the point to show me my four white listed domains), it started to ask me repeatedly to Apply the new configuration.
I opened Blacklist and waited, but the tab remained empty

I can reproduce similar situations with Blacklist or whitelist but not every time.
E.g, I just had a similar case with my second phone (Huawei Mate 9, not rooted) and after repeated accepting to Apply the changed configuration, even the main AdAway screen halted while displaying that it was still parsing one of the hosts source files but the wheel stopped rotating and I had to kill AdAway

I will enable Verbose logging and tty to reproduce and catch the log

My backup and screen recording zipped and attached. You can contact me by PM if I could help you

Thank you for your support
Attached Files
File Type: zip AdAway-Backup&ScreenRecorder.zip - [Click for QR Code] (13.42 MB, 4 views)
24th May 2020, 02:40 PM |#14861  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Hi i am update to beta version 5.0.4 and little problem the navbar disappears to light theme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200524-093403_AdAway.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	5025539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200524-093350_AdAway.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	5025541  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags