FORUMS

[APP][2.0+] MiXplorer v6.x Released (fully-featured file manager)

5,659 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,172

By HootanParsa, Recognized Developer on 17th May 2011, 03:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd May 2020, 06:57 PM |#32741  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebear j koss

Sorry I read things wrong. I believe the check for update will only show there is 1 when hootan uploads it to his server. If he just shares it here, you won't get any update notification. I never used that function as there are too many available versions of MiX. I just check on this thread and update silver from play store.

Thebear's 1+7T

That is correct and if you go to https://mixplorer.com/latest?l=en, you can see the latest version in the JSON response which is 6.44.1 so something is wrong at my end.
The Following User Says Thank You to norexda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift norexda Ad-Free
23rd May 2020, 08:44 PM |#32742  
Flag Los Angeles area
Thanks Meter: 30

More
When renaming files, if MiX thinks another file with the same name* already exists there, it silently names your file "filename (1)"

For example, "ThisFile_052320_1" already exists; I'm unaware of that, and attempt to rename a different file the same thing; it silently gives that file "ThisFile_052320_1 (1)" as its name.

Is there a setting for this? I want to be prompted that another file already has that name*, and asked what to do. In my example, I'd name it "ThisFile_052320_2"

*See my earlier posts for full details, but briefly: MiX sees these as identical, even though they're most definitely not!

Filename_I_Made_Up
filename_i_made_up
FILENAME_I_MADE_UP

and so on. That's a whole other problem! A big one, for Linux users.
23rd May 2020, 08:52 PM |#32743  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 20,660

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StElsewhere

When renaming files, if MiX thinks another file with the same name* already exists there, it silently names your file "filename (1)"

For example, "ThisFile_052320_1" already exists; I'm unaware of that, and attempt to rename a different file the same thing; it silently gives that file "ThisFile_052320_1 (1)" as its name.

Is there a setting for this? I want to be prompted that another file already has that name*, and asked what to do. In my example, I'd name it "ThisFile_052320_2"

*See my earlier posts for full details, but briefly: MiX sees these as identical, even though they're most definitely not!

Filename_I_Made_Up
filename_i_made_up
FILENAME_I_MADE_UP

and so on. That's a whole other problem! A big one, for Linux users.

Android isn't Linux. This is how Android renames files by default. Can't complain that things don't work cross platform... My iTunes library over 150gb of music is completely useless on all my other devices...

Sent from my OnePlus 7T using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
23rd May 2020, 10:15 PM |#32744  
Flag Los Angeles area

More
Quote:

Android isn't Linux.

It is a form of Linux.

Quote:

This is how Android renames files by default.

We're not talking about Android. If you read my earlier posts, you'll see that we're talking about Linux: Linux desktops, Linux laptops, Linux drives, everything is Linux.

Quote:

Can't complain that things don't work cross platform...

Sorry you're interpreting this as complaining about something not working cross-platform. Linux is the platform involved; Hootan's programming is what makes MiX silently add " (1)" to the file's name, not Android. None of my other file managers does this, because their developers programmed in features that Hootan did not.

Quote:

My iTunes library over 150gb of music is completely useless on all my other devices...

That's truly a shame--but has nothing to do with the issue I posted about.
The Following User Says Thank You to StElsewhere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StElsewhere Ad-Free
23rd May 2020, 11:20 PM |#32745  
Flag NYC

More
Quote:

It is a form of Linux.

We're not talking about Android. If you read my earlier posts, you'll see that we're talking about Linux: Linux desktops, Linux laptops, Linux drives, everything is Linux.

Sorry you're interpreting this as complaining about something not working cross-platform. Linux is the platform involved; Hootan's programming is what makes MiX silently add " (1)" to the file's name, not Android. None of my other file managers does this, because their developers programmed in features that Hootan did not.

Completely untrue Android and Linux are 2 completely different operating systems. If they were 1 and the same, then there wouldn't be any Android. The only thing correct in your statement is that other devs have changed or written code to alter the default way Android renames files with the same name. I also get a toast message whenever I have files with the same name that asks if I want to replace, rename, keep both, or skip.... When you keep both it adds a (#) to the end of the file name. All of my file explorers and galleries rename the same exact way.

Thebear's 1+7T
23rd May 2020, 11:22 PM |#32746  
Flag NYC

More
Quote:

It is a form of Linux.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200523-182130.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5025073

Thebear's 1+7T
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thebear j koss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thebear j koss Ad-Free
24th May 2020, 12:46 AM |#32747  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,971

More
Quote:

This is how Android renames files by default. .

Actually no. I think you are missing the root of the point of @StElsewhere. He is copying two files with the same textural characters, but with different casing. Not the exact same case. Android will not need to rename the two files if copied to the same path as the file system is case sensitive and therefore both can exist. You are showing the screen shot from a file manager which is not android, but an app.Try it in a shell (which will be how root operations are completed)

Quote:

Completely untrue Android and Linux are 2 completely different operating systems.

Yes, but I think @StElsewhere was simply taking the general concept that it is more Linux than windows; which is normally configured as case insensitive.

Quote:

If they were 1 and the same, then there wouldn't be any Android.

Thats maybe a little too far. Even in linux, there are hundreds of "flavours". Some of them stray very far from center. You may also note that your kernel will be named with some reference to linux. But just to be clear, I also dont think android IS linux, and I am sure @StElsewhere feels the same. its also a little off topic.Sorry to all Android would be a very specific very light version of linux, like puppy linux, which still exists.

Quote:

The only thing correct in your statement is that other devs have changed or written code to alter the default way Android renames files with the same name. I also get a toast message whenever I have files with the same name that asks if I want to replace, rename, keep both, or skip.... When you keep both it adds a (#) to the end of the file name. All of my file explorers and galleries rename the same exact way.

You have the EXACT same filename with no casing difference. I think you have missed his point; or are my eyes blurry...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
24th May 2020, 01:53 AM |#32748  
Flag NYC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

Actually no. I think you are missing the root of the point of @StElsewhere. He is copying two files with the same textural characters, but with different casing. Not the exact same case. Android will not need to rename the two files if copied to the same path as the file system is case sensitive and therefore both can exist. You are showing the screen shot from a file manager which is not android, but an app.Try it in a shell (which will be how root operations are completed)

Yes, but I think @StElsewhere was simply taking the general concept that it is more Linux than windows; which is normally configured as case insensitive.

Thats maybe a little too far. Even in linux, there are hundreds of "flavours". Some of them stray very far from center. You may also note that your kernel will be named with some reference to linux. But just to be clear, I also dont think android IS linux, and I am sure @StElsewhere feels the same. its also a little off topic.Sorry to all Android would be a very specific very light version of linux, like puppy linux, which still exists.

You have the EXACT same filename with no casing difference. I think you have missed his point; or are my eyes blurry...

Not on Android. Can't have GALLERY.apk and gallery.apk in the same location. 1 needs to be renamed. And my screen is from copying a file with the same name to the same directory using MiXplorer. Which is what this thread is about. It is exactly how android handles files with the same name in the same directory. Whether doing it from pc using Linux to your device, or using a Mac copying to android with MiXplorer, or any file manager on Android, default settings is to add a (#) to the end of the filename.

Thebear's 1+7T
24th May 2020, 02:01 AM |#32749  
Flag Los Angeles area

More
Thank you very much, @DiamondJohn! You've done a fantastic job of explaining things.

Along with the things you mentioned, @Thebear j koss is also missing a very important point: I'm talking about renaming a file, while he's [apparently] talking about moving/copying a file. When I do the latter, I, too, get the toast message and the options he posted a screenshot of. I do NOT get those when renaming.

I also made it a point to distinguish that the case issue was separate from the renaming issue I was posting about. As I said:
Quote:

No reference to case whatsoever!
The Following User Says Thank You to StElsewhere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StElsewhere Ad-Free
24th May 2020, 02:45 AM |#32750  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,971

More
Quote:

Not on Android. Can't have GALLERY.apk and gallery.apk in the same location. 1 needs to be renamed.

Actually, NO, if you keep it out of the executable paths, and on Linux style partitions (ie not SDCard which is a fat32 emulation) , then YES you can have GALLERY.apk and gallery.apk.

Name:	Screenshot_20200524-113123.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	5025203

Actually, maybe thats where the confusion lies. You are thinking of fat partitions and not linux style partitions.

Quote:

Which is what this thread is about. It is exactly how android handles files with the same name in the same directory.

Files with different casing are NOT files with the same name.

Quote:

Whether doing it from pc using Linux to your device, or using a Mac copying to android with MiXplorer, or any file manager on Android, default settings is to add a (#) to the end of the filename.

That is an APP common default, NOT an Android OS default. Copy a file with the same name (including casing) into the same path, and the system will overwrite the file. That is the OS default action, thats what happens from Java coded, and again, try it from a terminal, not from an app, and also see the above screen shot. Which was actually done using MiX.

Now that I think of it, @StElsewhere talks of renaming. but in my above example, I created two files with only different casing; just interesting my test case worked. Actually, just tested adding a file ("New File.txt"), and renaming it to "Gallery.apk" and that worked no problem I now have 3 galery.apk files with different casing. Are you not getting this? @StElsewhere have i missed your point?

And this thread is about MUCH more than file copying.

PS:I'm out
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
24th May 2020, 03:05 AM |#32751  
Flag Los Angeles area

More
@DiamondJohn, I'm about to be out, too! No point banging my head against a wall, you know?

But before bowing out, I thought I'd post this screenshot, taken just now on my Android phone...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200523-185242.png
Views:	454
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	5025221  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chm, cloud, encfs, epub, mix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)