31st May 2020, 01:56 PM |#14911  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

This post sums it up nicely.
xdaPost 14860 - Link

Cheers.

Thank you very much. English isn't my main language but I think I got the point: there's a problem with the former AdAway developer and the new one in order to publish updated versions to XDA Labs.

Well, I will downloaded versions from this thread. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to pepit0grillo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pepit0grillo Ad-Free
31st May 2020, 05:09 PM |#14912  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I'm looking for all the best adblocking sources
Here's what I have currently and I want to know if I've missed any good ones.
I'm trying to replace minminguard

Sent from my OnePlus7Pro using XDA Labs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200531-110828.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	5030601  
31st May 2020, 05:19 PM |#14913  
Flag Ao Nang, Krabi
Thanks Meter: 451

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spart0n

Minmin guard works very different.
It disables the ad activities in apps. You can do this manually for each app with 'my Android tools'.

As a reminder adding too many lists makes you hosts file very big we l which in turn will have an event on your device performance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JudgeDread11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JudgeDread11 Ad-Free
31st May 2020, 06:24 PM |#14914  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 1,368

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Pretty excessive and unnecessary. I just use Steven Black and it's ok. Many hosts can cause performance issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to marciozomb13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marciozomb13 Ad-Free
31st May 2020, 07:50 PM |#14915  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfg

Sorry to bother you but I think most of the serious issues with v5 are related to (or start with) parsing and updating the hosts sources

Agreed. I'm late to test but in a clean install of the beta I experienced somewhat similar symptoms to one of your previous posts. Adaway starts with all hosts checked but any attempt to uncheck any of them seems to work for a moment (main page shows less sources) but no matter the order of user actions all become enabled again. Sometimes this can be seen as the empty check boxes get re-checked over the course of several seconds. Pie, LOS16, (possibly also Oreo LOS15) Magisk. I can retest, log, and provide more details if needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
31st May 2020, 08:11 PM |#14916  
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,655

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

I think there is several issues here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfg

Sorry to bother you but I think most of the serious issues with v5 are related to (or start with) parsing and updating the hosts sources...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

Agreed. I'm late to test but in a clean install of the beta I experienced somewhat similar symptoms to one of your previous posts. Adaway starts with all hosts checked but any attempt to uncheck any of them seems to work for a moment (main page shows less sources) but no matter the order of user actions all become enabled again. Sometimes this can be seen as the empty check boxes get re-checked over the course of several seconds. Pie, LOS16, (possibly also Oreo LOS15) Magisk. I can retest, log, and provide more details if needed.

Ah. So that's why my hosts file, which is only supposed to be the result of merging two URLs into a 1.5 MB file has turned into an almost-5-MB monster. I was thinking Black was starting to block the internet, as in : all of it.

I was so not kidding asking for a version that would fetch and merge two files, and did nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing else.

Edit : Indeed. A much older version gets the merge right only using the 2 URLs I specified, and the hosts file is as it should be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
31st May 2020, 08:38 PM |#14917  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

Ah. So that's why my hosts file, which is only supposed to be the result of merging two URLs into a 1.5 MB file has turned into an almost-5-MB monster. I was thinking Black was starting to block the internet, as in : all of it.

I was so not kidding asking for a version that would fetch and merge two files, and did nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing else.

Edit : Indeed. A much older version gets the merge right only using the 2 URLs I specified, and the hosts file is as it should be.

Another factor with host file size, not related to the Adaway beta, is that the adaway host list has grown from about 3,000 entries to about 12,000 entries some time in the past few months. I think it happened all at once but don't recall when. Not sure about the others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
31st May 2020, 11:25 PM |#14918  
Thanks Meter: 1,056

More
Quote:

Read PerfectSlayer's fourth response in post - 14881
Oh... Thanks for bringing to my attention. I fix it.

I also mentioned a few work-arounds in post - 14869

5.x is beta and not just a simple update.
So yes, there will be problems. Sometime a fix will reveal another problem or break something else.
5.x is a big revamp to the code and function of AdAway.

Cheers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ipdev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ipdev Ad-Free
31st May 2020, 11:57 PM |#14919  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 3,258

More
Quote:

In addition to what others have said, I think you also have at least one dead source
https://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt
And possibly a few that are in the wrong format. I didn't check, but I think I saw at least one in your list that ended to imply it was simply a host list, and not a redirect, And "FanBoy" is for adblockplus. I have not checked every one of your lists, but you should go through them.

---------- Post added at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 ----------

Quote:

Sorry for the OT to everyone, but which two sources are you so focused on?
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
1st June 2020, 04:57 AM |#14920  
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,655

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

Sorry for the OT to everyone, but which two sources are you so focused on?

For years I only used Pollock's, and now that one and others are all included in Black's, which more than covers my needs ( and I would argue most people's... ), except I need to merge to that a specific hosts file for Japan.

For anyone looking for country specific hosts files for web browsing only, I'd just recommend using uBlock Origin and going through its list of country options.

Edit : And I say for web browsing, because for "apps", the solution is not AdAway, hosts, or any other application to block or manage their "advertising", the solution is to never install such things. Data miners at best and malware at worst. Pay for clean and safe commercial software or support clean and safe open source software. Malvertising should never be an option.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
1st June 2020, 03:03 PM |#14921  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6,349

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacke

@PerfectSlayer

I'm only curious. Did you archive some progress regarding encrypted dns together with vpn mode of AdAway in the last time? The feature isn't critical for me because i'm using root but nevertheless it interests me.
btw thx for your newest update 5.0.4

Nope, I'm drowing in bux fixing. I don't even talk about UI adjustment request ^^'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepit0grillo

But I mean stable version, not beta. On XDA Labs I can only see beta version:

AdAway is no more released on XDA lab. Don't have the account to nor the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

It's fixed. Wait for the next beta to get the patch or use a GitHub CI build.

Quote:

Which version are you using? Can you share sources you use?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)