1st June 2020, 03:03 PM |#14921  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6,349

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacke

@PerfectSlayer

I'm only curious. Did you archive some progress regarding encrypted dns together with vpn mode of AdAway in the last time? The feature isn't critical for me because i'm using root but nevertheless it interests me.
btw thx for your newest update 5.0.4

Nope, I'm drowing in bux fixing. I don't even talk about UI adjustment request ^^'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepit0grillo

But I mean stable version, not beta. On XDA Labs I can only see beta version:

AdAway is no more released on XDA lab. Don't have the account to nor the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

Agreed. I'm late to test but in a clean install of the beta I experienced somewhat similar symptoms to one of your previous posts. Adaway starts with all hosts checked but any attempt to uncheck any of them seems to work for a moment (main page shows less sources) but no matter the order of user actions all become enabled again. Sometimes this can be seen as the empty check boxes get re-checked over the course of several seconds. Pie, LOS16, (possibly also Oreo LOS15) Magisk. I can retest, log, and provide more details if needed.

It's fixed. Wait for the next beta to get the patch or use a GitHub CI build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

Ah. So that's why my hosts file, which is only supposed to be the result of merging two URLs into a 1.5 MB file has turned into an almost-5-MB monster. I was thinking Black was starting to block the internet, as in : all of it.

I was so not kidding asking for a version that would fetch and merge two files, and did nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing else.

Edit : Indeed. A much older version gets the merge right only using the 2 URLs I specified, and the hosts file is as it should be.

Which version are you using? Can you share sources you use?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
1st June 2020, 03:59 PM |#14922  
Thanks Meter: 1,620

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

please help everyone by taking part in the bug report discussion.

Ok, reported my issues from here also to Github:

https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/issues/2070
Regarding to post #14884 here

https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/issues/2069
Regarding to post #14886 here

https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/issues/2068
Regarding to post #14890 here

FYI, @JudgeDread11 and @Wolfcity, you had confirmed the first and second issue respectively in the posts #14885 and #14887 here
The Following User Says Thank You to zgfg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zgfg Ad-Free
1st June 2020, 05:17 PM |#14923  
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,655

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

Which version are you using? Can you share sources you use?

I just test betas, but I stopped using AdAway around version 3.3 two years ago, I think. It's more and more work with each version to simply fetch and merge two files, and features upon features that keep getting in the way. I already commented on this before. ( I know, I should just leave the thread, but I still believe my feedback is valid and represents other users who won't say anything and just put up with the changes. )

The problem is not the sources I define ( Black's from GitHub and another Japanese specific hosts also from GitHub, direct links both... ), which are parsed just fine, the problem as reported by others is that the latest beta does not follow the preferences and adds its own sources even if removed -- you say it's fixed anyway.

Edit : On second thought, I will just unsubscribe, you've got enough issues as it is. One has to learn when to let go. Good luck and thank you for picking up development when Mr. Robinson retired.

^_^

The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
1st June 2020, 06:52 PM |#14924  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

Agreed. I'm late to test but in a clean install of the beta I experienced somewhat similar symptoms to one of your previous posts. Adaway starts with all hosts checked but any attempt to uncheck any of them seems to work for a moment (main page shows less sources) but no matter the order of user actions all become enabled again. Sometimes this can be seen as the empty check boxes get re-checked over the course of several seconds. Pie, LOS16, (possibly also Oreo LOS15) Magisk. I can retest, log, and provide more details if needed.

There is a workaround described by @ipdev in the second part:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...ostcount=14869

It was also reported to GitHub and closed/fixed for the upcoming new beta:
https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/issues/2067
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zgfg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zgfg Ad-Free
2nd June 2020, 05:48 AM |#14925  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
How do I block ads that are in the apps?
2nd June 2020, 10:05 AM |#14926  
Flag Oulu
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKing00

How do I block ads that are in the apps?

You would need root i.e. Magisk for that & I would have sticked with AdAway v4.3.4 for now!

Additionally, you should consider using a second ad blocking program on your smartphone.
2nd June 2020, 10:25 AM |#14927  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pycxe-01

You would need root i.e. Magisk for that & I would have sticked with AdAway v4.3.4 for now!

Additionally, you should consider using a second ad blocking program on your smartphone.

Rooted but no EdXposed. AdAway installed and working.
Which other ad blocking program?
3rd June 2020, 03:14 AM |#14928  
Thanks Meter: 1,150

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

Edit : On second thought, I will just unsubscribe, you've got enough issues as it is. One has to learn when to let go.

^_^

Your feedback and opinion about the beta (it is a beta as you know) may be valid but that's a confusing way to respond, not sure why you need to unsubscribe. You did mention the stable version worked fine for you though right, and it seems minimal and functional enough. How do you block ads now then, if you don't use Adaway?
3rd June 2020, 06:28 AM |#14929  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knpk13

How do you block ads now then, if you don't use Adaway?

Since he unsubscribed, he will not answer. Btw, if you searched back, you will find the answer in his posts

He manualy downloads (just two) hosts sources to his PC, runs a script to merge them and copy the content to hosts file. You can do it with some root explorer on the rooted Android or even from TWRP, then you don't need Magisk/root (not just that on the read-only SAR where you need systemless hosts)

That's it, this is the essence of how AdAway works, no magic here. He was actually asking for the bare, most simple but bug free, with no whistles and bells (e.g., no fancy UI) version of AdAway that will do it (it doesn't need to run in the background to update hosts sources periodically, user just runs the app once a week or month, that is usually enough)

You can copy such a content also to hosts.txt file on the Windows PC, or to hosts file on any Linux device (Android is derived from Linux) and you have the same blocking on your PC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zgfg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zgfg Ad-Free
3rd June 2020, 06:34 AM |#14930  
Thanks Meter: 1,150

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfg

Instead of relying on AdAway, he downloads just two) hosts sources to his PC, runs a script to merge them and copy the content to hosts file. That's it, this is the essence of how AdAway does, no magic.
You can copy such a content also to hosts.txt file on the Windows PC, or to hosts file on any Linux device (Android is derived from Linux) and you have the same blocking on your PC

I know, but he does it manually? Geez updates must be a pain. Isn't that what adaway stable does basically though? I don't see any extra features that he wouldn't like that are enabled by default on the stable channel.
3rd June 2020, 06:51 AM |#14931  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knpk13

I know, but he does it manually? Geez updates must be a pain[

Put the path
https://block.energized.pro/blu/formats/hosts.txt
(you don't need to merge, they merge for you from other hosts sources)
to Advanced Download Manager app (rock-solid app for downloading huge files), download and add few (standard hosts file) lines on top:
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
127.0.0.0 localdomain
rename the file to hosts and copy over your /system/etc/hosts

You can do it all in a minute, directly on the rooted phone.
If you want to whitelist, then you need a good editor that can handle tens of thousands of lines (like Notepad++ on the PC) to find and comment out/delete the lines with URLs you wanted to whitelist - or a script (shell, Python) can do it for you

Btw, read my previous post, I've edited with more info about SAR devices and even hosts.txt file on the PC

Also, search back in the thread for his posts and you will find more info on such a simplistic approach
The Following User Says Thank You to zgfg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zgfg Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)