FORUMS

[GUIDE] How to extract, create or edit android adb backups

1,851 posts
Thanks Meter: 964
 
By scandiun, Senior Member on 24th November 2012, 09:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th May 2020, 08:05 PM |#231  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonb

Thanks for the response. I tried deleting a file inside a backup. As a result dhe backup didn't work anymore, so for a moment i thought the numbers/letters were encrypted content of the backup which needed to be changed in order for the modification to work.

Depends what file it is, files inside the backup need to be in same order, trailing slash, and so on. It's better done with Linux.
15th May 2020, 12:05 PM |#232  
Member
Flag Tirana
Thanks Meter: 87
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash_h

Depends what file it is, files inside the backup need to be in same order, trailing slash, and so on. It's better done with Linux.

Yeah, i tried with a hex editor and it worked! PeaZip messed the file order. Thnx!
The Following User Says Thank You to eltonb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eltonb Ad-Free
15th May 2020, 07:31 PM |#233  
scandiun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 964
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonb

Yeah, i tried with a hex editor and it worked! PeaZip messed the file order. Thnx!

With hex editor? How?
15th May 2020, 09:26 PM |#234  
Member
Flag Tirana
Thanks Meter: 87
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

With hex editor? How?

I was trying to delete the file in the first pic using PeaZip, but in doing so the backup wouldn't restore. So i deleted the whole block related to that file in hex and suprisingly it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	5019613   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	5019615   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	5019617  
The Following User Says Thank You to eltonb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eltonb Ad-Free
16th May 2020, 12:02 AM |#235  
scandiun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 964
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonb

I was trying to delete the file in the first pic using PeaZip, but in doing so the backup wouldn't restore. So i deleted the whole block related to that file in hex and suprisingly it worked.

I see, you removed from the tar archive the entire block which represents the file to be removed. You did well
The Following User Says Thank You to scandiun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scandiun Ad-Free
29th June 2020, 02:34 PM |#236  
.::Alien::.'s Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Can I have the exact adb command needed to backup app data of a single app.
29th June 2020, 07:26 PM |#237  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 275
 
More
you need pkgname for app. if you share app from google play it is the part of url play.google.com...details?id=<pkgname>
Code:
adb backup -apk -f angrybirds.ab com.rovio.angrybirds
leave password empty and just confirm backup
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aIecxs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aIecxs Ad-Free
30th June 2020, 11:28 AM |#238  
.::Alien::.'s Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aIecxs

you need pkgname for app. if you share app from google play it is the part of url play.google.com...details?id=<pkgname>

Code:
adb backup -apk -f angrybirds.ab com.rovio.angrybirds
leave password empty and just confirm backup

What about app data only without backing up the apk file.
30th June 2020, 01:52 PM |#239  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 275
 
More
just run without flag (or with -noapk)
Code:
adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-obb|-noobb] [-shared|-noshared] [-all] [-system|nosystem] [-keyvalue|-nokeyvalue] [<packages...>]
adb restore <file>
Note: works only for app with android:allowBackup="true" in AndroidManifest.xml
The Following User Says Thank You to aIecxs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aIecxs Ad-Free
2nd July 2020, 11:29 PM |#240  
scandiun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 964
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by .::Alien::.

What about app data only without backing up the apk file.

Don't use "-apk" or use "-noapk". By default does not backup apk. But I would advise you to back it up, because your app may be removed from Play Store. Most apps are removed over time. You can backup the apk separately using "apk saver" or "apk extractor", or do it with adb backup. Take into account that nowadays there are more than one "apk", depending on android version, manufacturer and architecture, so there's no warranty you apk saved today will work in a smartphone you buy in 5 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to scandiun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scandiun Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes