FORUMS

[APP][2.2+][05 Oct. - V2.4] BetterBatteryStats

4,968 posts
Thanks Meter: 19,251
 
By chamonix, Recognized Contributor on 21st July 2011, 10:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd July 2020, 05:09 PM |#37241  
Senior Member
Flag RMK
Thanks Meter: 227
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukyO

Anyone?

Do backup. Restore your phone with MSMdownloadtool.
Because your OP6T have something draining your phone battery. I Didn't found reason why, because phone sleep fine
The Following User Says Thank You to pjadec For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pjadec Ad-Free
3rd July 2020, 05:25 PM |#37242  
jukyO's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ogulin
Thanks Meter: 611
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjadec

Do backup. Restore your phone with MSMdownloadtool.
Because your OP6T have something draining your phone battery. I Didn't found reason why, because phone sleep fine

Can you provide me the link to it, appreciate it.
3rd July 2020, 05:50 PM |#37243  
NoGoodUserNamesLeft's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by githyanki

When on WiFi, why would you want to use your mobile data?

It says right there: "for fast network switching"
And I don't want it.

Quote:

The normal behavior is that the LTE icon hours away when on WiFi since your not using mobile data anymore.

You are wrong. The LTE icon does not go away from the mobile data tile. It's always there to show the type of the existing mobile connection (LTE, 3G, E, ...).
It does go away from the status bar, but it's always there in the tile when you pull down on the drawer which I was talking about.

Maybe it is different on your phone or you lack reading comprehension, so I took some screenshots on Android 10 (LineageOS 17.1) - see the attached picture.
  • Left side: internet via WiFi.
  • Right side: internet via mobile radio - WiFi is enabled but has no internet connection.
On both sides the "mobile data always on" developer setting is deactivated, yet "LTE" is shown on the mobile data tile in the drawer.

Quote:

Playing with that setting in developer options will change normal functions and could easily be the cause for more wakelocks.
If you have some reason for having to do that, you will probably have to live with the extra drain.
Best answer is to stop doing that.

By "playing with that setting" a have reduced the number of wakelocks and significantly improved the battery drain.
The default value (Mobile data always active - ON) is causing many wakelocks and high battery drain.

For your phone the default value might be OFF so I assume that's the reason for why you are saying that and not that you are ignorant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WiFi with and without internet.png
Views:	510
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	5053127  
3rd July 2020, 06:44 PM |#37244  
IronTechmonkey's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,274
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoodUserNamesLeft

It says right there: "for fast network switching"
And I don't want it..

Speaking to this particular setting and no other part of the discussion.

In the conception and design of our mobile devices it is assumed that we will have Wi-Fi and mobile data enabled and active all the time thereby allowing the device to switch from one to the other without our interaction as we move around. The setting to which you refer will keep the mobile data hardware in a more active state even when you are connected to Wi-Fi so that when you move away from Wi-Fi it will more quickly switch to mobile data.

Even if you follow that usage case, of keeping all the radios active and enabled it would be safe to disable that setting and see if it impacts you. The result may be a few moments of no connection as the device tries to automatically switch between Wi-Fi and mobile.

On the other side: Many people myself included choose to manually enable and connect to WiFi and mobile data connections as needed in order to save battery life. In that usage case I have that particular setting disabled all the time and never experienced any consequent limitation with my usage method.
The Following User Says Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
3rd July 2020, 07:16 PM |#37245  
Senior Member
Flag RMK
Thanks Meter: 227
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukyO

Can you provide me the link to it, appreciate it.

OnePlus 6T
10.3.0 msmdlt

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...9-0-5-t3867448
The Following User Says Thank You to pjadec For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pjadec Ad-Free
3rd July 2020, 07:40 PM |#37246  
NoGoodUserNamesLeft's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

The setting to which you refer will keep the mobile data hardware in a more active state even when you are connected to Wi-Fi so that when you move away from Wi-Fi it will more quickly switch to mobile data.

It's comprehensible to have a somewhat higher battery drain when the mobile data hardware is kept in a more active state but in this case the difference is sixfold.

And why does it come with a highly increased number of wakelocks? Shouldn't all the data connection business be done by the firmware without waking/involving the operating system?

It is not entirely clear what needs to be blamed for the high battery drain:
  • The wakelocks, which are not letting the system go to deep sleep?
  • The higher power requirement to keep the mobile data connection alive even when not in use?
  • A mix of both?

Looking at the output of the BBS logs I see a difference in the Deep Sleep percentage. When disabled, I see the phone is being kept awake for an overall significantly longer time so I assume this is caused by the wakelocks. This might add up to the power consumption.

Mobile data always on - enabled (default)
Code:
Since 7 h 40 m 50 s 
Level lost [%]: Bat.: -19%(98% to 79%) [2,5%/h]

Deep Sleep         (): 6 h 46 m 50 s 88,3%
Awake (Screen Off) ():     53 m 39 s 11,6%
Screen On          ():          20 s  0,1%
Mobile data always on - disabled
Code:
Since 9 h 55 m 12 s 
Level lost [%]: Bat.: -4%(94% to 90%) [0,4%/h]

Deep Sleep         (): 9 h 40 m 17 s 97,5%
Awake (Screen Off) ():     14 m 46 s  2,5%
Screen On          ():           7 s  0,0%
Quote:

In that usage case I have that particular setting disabled all the time and never experienced any consequent limitation with my usage method.

I have it disabled for several months now and have not experienced any noticeable drawbacks. I am never in a place where the phone needs to be constantly switching between WiFi and mobile data.

I am also not using WiFi calling or MMS - this will cause issues, if you disable "Mobile data always on" so I have read..
3rd July 2020, 09:07 PM |#37247  
IronTechmonkey's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,274
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoodUserNamesLeft

It's comprehensible to have a somewhat higher battery drain when the mobile data hardware is kept in a more active state but in this case the difference is sixfold....

And why does it come with a highly increased number of wakelocks? .

As mentioned, I was only speaking to that setting (which is unlikely to be the sole cause of any issues you are having). Beyond that I would suggest following the guidance in the OPs of this thread and seeing what the knowledgeable users here have to say.
4th July 2020, 04:43 AM |#37248  
DB126's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9,977
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoodUserNamesLeft

You are wrong. The LTE icon does not go away from the mobile data tile. It's always there to show the type of the existing mobile connection (LTE, 3G, E, ...).
It does go away from the status bar, but it's always there in the tile when you pull down on the drawer which I was talking about.

Maybe it is different on your phone or you lack reading comprehension, so I took some screenshots on Android 10 (LineageOS 17.1) - see the attached picture.

Knock it off. If you can't be respectful take your commentary elsewhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
4th July 2020, 05:08 AM |#37249  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Can someone please help me figure out whaat the issue is?

According to what I understand, sns_smd has kept my phone awake for around 1 hr overnight.

Attaching a log with this post.

Really appreciate the help.

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

drive.google.com/file/d/1PHcDlNbXNUT7bFdB1CTOIGU5R5RHbMne/view?usp=drivesdk

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

drive.google.com/file/d/1PHcDlNbXNUT7bFdB1CTOIGU5R5RHbMne/view?usp=drivesdk

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Can someone please help me understand what the issue is?

From what I understand sns_smd wakeup has been keeping my decice awake for 1 hour overnight.
Really appreciate the help.

Here's the dump file: drive.google.com/file/d/1PHcDlNbXNUT7bFdB1CTOIGU5R5RHbMne/view?usp=drivesdk
4th July 2020, 05:12 AM |#37250  
Senior Member
Flag RMK
Thanks Meter: 227
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhanshugrover

Can someone please help me figure out whaat the issue is?

According to what I understand, sns_smd has kept my phone awake for around 1 hr overnight.

Attaching a log with this post.

Really appreciate the help.

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

drive.google.com/file/d/1PHcDlNbXNUT7bFdB1CTOIGU5R5RHbMne/view?usp=drivesdk

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

drive.google.com/file/d/1PHcDlNbXNUT7bFdB1CTOIGU5R5RHbMne/view?usp=drivesdk

Sorry, but this dump can not be analysed. Too much sot=screen on time. Do dump like OP instructed.
The Following User Says Thank You to pjadec For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pjadec Ad-Free
5th July 2020, 12:05 PM |#37251  
jukyO's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ogulin
Thanks Meter: 611
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjadec

OnePlus 6T
10.3.0 msmdlt

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...9-0-5-t3867448

It helps! 1st charge, 9% overnight, much better compared to 26%.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
alarms, android, battery drain, battery monitor, battery stats, bbs, betterbatterystats, failed, wakelock, wakeup

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes