FORUMS

[APP][2.0+] MiXplorer v6.x Released (fully-featured file manager)

5,736 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,558

By HootanParsa, Recognized Developer on 17th May 2011, 03:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th July 2020, 05:20 AM |#33241  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
@HootanParsa would you consider adding pinch-to-zoom to text editor as HTML Viewer?
5th July 2020, 06:44 AM |#33242  
Flag Los Angeles area
Thanks Meter: 61

More
A few other FMs I've tried have a solution to the 'no-confirmation delete' issue that, while not being what I [and other power users] want, I could live with it in MiX. What they've done is let you delete without an über-annoying 'are you sure?!' prompt--but you must be using its recycle bin for this to work, and have its prompting turned off.

I can work around that if it's implemented in MiX; I'll simply automate a daily sweep of its recycle bin directories. So I'd get my silent deletions and, once my sweep occurs, the files would be permanently gone, without having to manually mess with a recycle bin.

This whole thing has struck me as incredible...really unbelievable. It's a feature, an option, not the end of the world.

The first thing I learned 35 years ago on UNIX was that delete means delete. So if you're about to issue an 'rm -rf' command on a directory, be well and truly sure you're in the right place and you really want those files gone--because there's no going back. I'd never heard of, or wanted, a silly 'recycle bin' until having to administer a few windows boxes at work. It struck me as an insult to the user's intelligence. Clearly, not everyone shares that feeling.

If this is such a big deal, maybe Hootan can put out two versions: one for extreme power users who neither want nor need any handholding, and one for everyone else. At first running [only] of the power-user version, display a disclaimer, like the attached screenshot, which the user must acknowledge. Problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SynchronizeUltimate_delete_disclaimer.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	5054065  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StElsewhere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StElsewhere Ad-Free
5th July 2020, 01:39 PM |#33243  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StElsewhere

A few other FMs I've tried have a solution to the 'no-confirmation delete' issue that, while not being what I [and other power users] want, I could live with it in MiX. What they've done is let you delete without an über-annoying 'are you sure?!' prompt--but you must be using its recycle bin for this to work, and have its prompting turned off.

I can work around that if it's implemented in MiX; I'll simply automate a daily sweep of its recycle bin directories. So I'd get my silent deletions and, once my sweep occurs, the files would be permanently gone, without having to manually mess with a recycle bin.

This whole thing has struck me as incredible...really unbelievable. It's a feature, an option, not the end of the world.

The first thing I learned 35 years ago on UNIX was that delete means delete. So if you're about to issue an 'rm -rf' command on a directory, be well and truly sure you're in the right place and you really want those files gone--because there's no going back. I'd never heard of, or wanted, a silly 'recycle bin' until having to administer a few windows boxes at work. It struck me as an insult to the user's intelligence. Clearly, not everyone shares that feeling.

If this is such a big deal, maybe Hootan can put out two versions: one for extreme power users who neither want nor need any handholding, and one for everyone else. At first running [only] of the power-user version, display a disclaimer, like the attached screenshot, which the user must acknowledge. Problem solved.

This is a very important topic, and I think the developer is aware about that. I learned, that the developer always made the wisest decision, especially referring to important topics like this one. I appreciate anyway your feature request even if I am among those users that prefer to be careful when deleting files, and I have also some suggestions about handling deleting warnings, but better avoiding to create additional debates...
Finally I suggest you to ignore such comments or posts I find totally unfair... this happens often in this thread, sadly I would say
The Following User Says Thank You to robertSchum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift robertSchum Ad-Free
5th July 2020, 07:28 PM |#33244  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,458

More
FAQ Update
Mod Edit: OT portion removed

-------
Getting back to business. Over the past several weeks there's finally been some worthwhile movement in the FAQ. In short: new material, reorganization, function-specific nuggets created or found and referenced from the OPs, while the OPs remain focus more on things new users would experience first such as the general UI and managing bookmarks. Still a work-in-progress. More details here:
FAQ Update: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1191
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
5th July 2020, 11:27 PM |#33245  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,458

More
Breaking out the Bluetooth question

Bluetooth Bookmark question:
Here is a question about Bluetooth bookmarks which came up while I was recently reviewing the FAQ. A few years ago I had configured a Bluetooth bookmark which allowed the management of files across the Bluetooth connection in the full MiX interface but have since forgotten how to configure it (how resolve the username and password). Does anyone know how to create a Bluetooth bookmark to access material on another device in the Mix file list (as opposed to selecting a file and sending via Bluetooth)? Thanks.
6th July 2020, 12:03 AM |#33246  
Flag Here and there
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

Also IIRC, we still have no example of another file manager on touch screen devices with the same capabilities as MiXplorer having a no-prompt-permanent-delete. For comparison, do you know of any?

Unfortunately, no. I would have to live with this app behavior about file deletion no matter what I think about it. But I said it and other users did.

Move on. Other than that, I’m happy with MiX.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fred_gaou For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fred_gaou Ad-Free
6th July 2020, 05:24 AM |#33247  
Flag Gyeonggi-do
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Rename of regex for add number does't work
also try to remove in rename "a" all "a" is gone
ex) regex name %N to remove "%A." then
removed full name of each of "%, A, ."

if file name is >> %A.appleapple.doc
remove to >> ppleppledoc
6th July 2020, 06:54 AM |#33248  
Forum Moderator
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 3,555

More
MOD ACTION:

Thread cleaned.
Guys, while discussions are good and are welcome, I see that they start to deteriorate after some time unless atleast one of the parties moves on. There is really no point in each one simply repeating his position in different words in answer to another's post endlessly.
Please move on.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TNSMANI For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TNSMANI Ad-Free
6th July 2020, 11:00 AM |#33249  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 1,447

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSMANI

MOD ACTION:

Thread cleaned.
Guys, while discussions are good and are welcome, I see that they start to deteriorate after some time unless atleast one of the parties moves on. There is really no point in each one simply repeating his position in different words in answer to another's post endlessly.
Please move on.

God bless you for the intervention.
The Following User Says Thank You to marciozomb13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marciozomb13 Ad-Free
6th July 2020, 07:03 PM |#33250  
Senior Moderator / Semper Salty
Flag Forever 2 Wheels - USMC on my arm, .45 on my hip, O-H my license
Thanks Meter: 15,819

More
* * * Thread Cleaned, Again * * *

It's been less than a day since the very respectful and courteous warning from TNSMANI was posted here, and it has already been disregarded by a few.

If this back and forth continues, if any off-topic gets out of hand again; the associated accounts will be reviewed for further action in light of ignoring multiple warnings.

Please follow Forum Rules when posting. If your comment is not HELPFUL, RESPECTFUL, and ON-TOPIC, please don't post it.

The comment was made about understanding why some have fled Xda. Don't be part of the reason people want to leave this forum, be part of the reason people want to come here.

We all have choices to make, please make yours respectfully, and in line with the rules.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Az Biker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Az Biker Ad-Free
7th July 2020, 09:16 AM |#33251  
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,796

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jututt

@HootanParsa would you consider adding pinch-to-zoom to text editor as HTML Viewer?

Maybe the idea mentioned a while ago to add a rich text editor and let the text editor be, should be considered, because requests like yours keep adding up. The most recent one was to add working links. And neither will be the last for sure. I'm surprised adding embedded images has not been requested yet, seriously -- some are using the view mode ( already an extra in a text only editor ) as an e-reader of sorts.

A "text editor" really should be a text editor, no formatting, media / visual features, hypertext, etc. Or maybe add all these features and future ones to the heavier "code editor" already present ? Or at least stop calling it text editor ! ^_^ ( Don't kill me. )

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chm, cloud, encfs, epub, mix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)