FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,561 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,282

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th July 2020, 08:46 PM |#12231  
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

China has a certain amount of financial control of most of Asia, of course they wouldn't be banned in Asia, of course they would be highly promoted in Asia, it serves their interest. But, the point is, there is a very good reason why they were banned, because China has Huawei build things into the hardware and software that definitely are a major risk to the privacy and security of any users or corporations that use them. They wouldn't be banned and considered a security risk for no reason at all. This also somewhat applies to Xiaomi devices as well. This really applies to all hardware/software coming out of China on some level, some more, some less.

Dig deeper than just reading articles on tech websites, you'll see.

You ve been more familiar with these android devices. Software can be rewritten, but can those hardware modifications that prove to be a major risk be changed?
17th July 2020, 02:02 AM |#12232  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Looking for a new gaming phone only
Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a gaming phone or at least a good phone with great gaming specs. This phone purpose will only be for gaming and nothing else, I don't care about the camera or anything like that. Majority of the time it will be on WiFI and if I need to it will be on a Canada network. This phone will not server as my main phone. My budget is $800 CAD. I was originally going to get a Red Magic 5G but from the looks of it, it seem to be a lot of problem on the system side.

Any recommends would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
17th July 2020, 06:33 AM |#12233  

More
Vanilla open-source android phone
Hello,

I want to buy a genuine vanilla phone so I can have everything there opensourced including the drivers. Well I understand I can't have gsm/wifi modules firmware but at least I need drivers so I can edit them if I want.

I dont wanna have samsung or xiaomi or anything else with proprietary drivers and semi (or barely) working custom firmwares that are released lately. There should be some reference phone on which android devs test all their code. The phone that is progenitor to all the following vendor craps that come next after each android release.

Can you give me the name of that phone please? I thought its google nexus, but looks like I am mistaken
17th July 2020, 08:03 AM |#12234  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHibachi

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a gaming phone or at least a good phone with great gaming specs. This phone purpose will only be for gaming and nothing else, I don't care about the camera or anything like that. Majority of the time it will be on WiFI and if I need to it will be on a Canada network. This phone will not server as my main phone. My budget is $800 CAD. I was originally going to get a Red Magic 5G but from the looks of it, it seem to be a lot of problem on the system side.

Any recommends would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Xiaomi Black Shark 3

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by POMATu

Hello,

I want to buy a genuine vanilla phone so I can have everything there opensourced including the drivers. Well I understand I can't have gsm/wifi modules firmware but at least I need drivers so I can edit them if I want.

I dont wanna have samsung or xiaomi or anything else with proprietary drivers and semi (or barely) working custom firmwares that are released lately. There should be some reference phone on which android devs test all their code. The phone that is progenitor to all the following vendor craps that come next after each android release.

Can you give me the name of that phone please? I thought its google nexus, but looks like I am mistaken

Get an essential ph1 or a pixel. These come with vanilla android. There isn't a progenitor phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
17th July 2020, 04:03 PM |#12235  
Quote:

Hello,

Get an unlocked non carrier branded Pixel device, they come factory installed with Vanilla AOSP and have plenty of well built, well supported custom ROMs. All of the Pixel variants are decently priced, just do not get a US carrier branded model. These are pretty much the most supported Vanilla android devices and will continue to be well supported for years to come.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
19th July 2020, 12:56 AM |#12236  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I am looking for a new phone in the $400-$500 CAD range. It would need to have two sim card slots and at least 64gb of internal space. I would like a really good camera on it
19th July 2020, 07:19 AM |#12237  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin1

I am looking for a new phone in the $400-$500 CAD range. It would need to have two sim card slots and at least 64gb of internal space. I would like a really good camera on it

Mate, there are like hundreds or thousands of smartphones with those specs. Input those specs into GSMarena and pick your favorite.
19th July 2020, 08:07 AM |#12238  

More
Quote:

Get an unlocked non carrier branded Pixel device, they come factory installed with Vanilla AOSP and have plenty of well built, well supported custom ROMs. All of the Pixel variants are decently priced, just do not get a US carrier branded model. These are pretty much the most supported Vanilla android devices and will continue to be well supported for years to come.

Thanks, but do essential or pixel have driver sources opensourced? Or can I get any phone with driver sources so I can edit them.
19th July 2020, 03:19 PM |#12239  
Quote:

Thanks, but do essential or pixel have driver sources opensourced? Or can I get any phone with driver sources so I can edit them.

Lol, if you know enough about android to modify android source code, you would not be asking that question because you would know that Pixel devices come factory installed with AOSP which is Google's Android Open Source Project, which is open sourced and that, yes, you can modify the AOSP source code.

But, since you asked this question, it is an indicator that you don't know as much as you should about android and should probably not attempt modifying android source code until you understand/know more about android.

19th July 2020, 03:33 PM |#12240  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 3,608

More
Quote:

Quote:

Lol, if you know enough about android to modify android source code, you would not be asking that question because you would know that Pixel devices come factory installed with AOSP which is Google's Android Open Source Project, which is open sourced and that, yes, you can modify the AOSP source code.

But, since you asked this question, it is an indicator that you don't know as much as you should about android and should probably not attempt modifying android source code until you understand/know more about android.

I think he is talking about the source code for things like the boot loader, modem, and each individual component, which normally comes as pre-compiled blobs (or flashed separate to the ROM for bootloader and modem). ie the proprietary stuff. Android is OS, but the devices for the components drivers are normally not.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
19th July 2020, 03:38 PM |#12241  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

I think he is talking about the source code for things like the boot loader, modem, and each individual component, which normally comes as pre-compiled blobs (or flashed separate to the ROM for bootloader and modem). ie the proprietary stuff. Android is OS, but the devices for the components drivers are normally not.

I had a suspicion that is what they meant but didn't want to assume.

In this case, they probably won't find what they are looking for.

And, again, if they know about modifying android source code, they would know that what they are asking about pertains to proprietary/closed-source software code.

Quote:

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)