The ultimate "get back to stock" thread.

Search This thread

Berzerker7

Jan 17, 2010
I've seen a few threads out there that have instructions on how to get back to stock. Well, they're either incomplete, or not very easy/quick. So I'm going to make this thread with the different "stocks" you can go to.

Part 1: rooted/s-off -> 2.1 stock for OTA upgrade
Part 2: rooted/s-off -> 2.2 stock using the OTA RUU

Part 0:

1. Make sure you have ADB working, there are many tutorials around XDA/the internet on how to get it working on your computer.

2. After you've setup ADB, download the fastboot binary and put it in the tools folder with the adb binary, so that you can run the "fastboot" command.

Part 1: 2.1 stock for OTA upgrade

1. Make sure you're rooted with clockworkmod recovery.

1A. If you're s-off, download http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/unrevoked-forever-son.zip

(NOTE: the unrevoked s-on tool does *not* support the 2.15.00.09.01 radio. If you're running that radio, download this, and flash that PB31IMG.zip in HBOOT before continuing.)

1B. Push that to your SDCard and flash it via clockworkmod recovery.

2. Download these two zip files: http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/revert.zip and http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/PB31IMG-77-1.00-2.1.zip

2A. Push PB31IMG-77-1.00-2.1.zip to your SDCard, renaming it to "PB31IMG.zip" (no quotes)(delete any other PB31IMG.zip you might have on there before pushing).

3. Unzip revert.zip to your desktop, reboot into recovery and execute the following commands from your cmd prompt/terminal:

Code:
adb shell
~ # mount data
~ # exit
adb push flash_image /data
adb push mtd0.img /data
adb shell
~ # cd /data
~ # chmod 755 flash_image
~ # flash_image misc mtd0.img
~ # exit
adb reboot oem-78
[b]MAKE SURE YOU TYPE [i]78[/i] and not any other number![/b]

You should see a black screen with a silver HTC logo. Now type:
Code:
fastboot devices
You should see something like HT056HJ01462 pop up. If that does, you're good.

4. Pull the battery, leave the phone off for about 10 seconds, then put the battery back in. Hold the volume *down* button as you put the battery back in, then press the power button (while still holding the volume down button). You should boot into HBOOT, and it should recognize the PB31IMG.zip. Start the update and go get a drink (it might reboot once or twice, don't worry about it).

(4B: If it keeps booting back into HBOOT, you'll need to apply it a second time, but you will not need to reflash misc, so just apply it again, it should take.)

5. When that's done, reboot, and you're done! You are now at 2.1 stock!

6. If you want to go through the OTA upgrade to 2.2, download this, rename it to update.zip and push it to your sdcard. Then, upgrade manually through recovery using the "apply sdcard:update.zip" option. After you reboot back into Android after that's done, you should be able to upgrade normally to 2.2 using the OTA.

Part 2: 2.2 stock using OTA RUU

1A. If you're s-off, download http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/unrevoked-forever-son.zip

(NOTE: the unrevoked s-on tool does *not* support the 2.15.00.09.01 radio. If you're running that radio, download this, and flash that PB31IMG.zip in HBOOT before continuing.)

2. Download this zip file: http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/PB31IMG_3.26.605.1_RUU.zip

3. Push PB31IMG-3.21.605.1_RUU.zip to your SDCard, renaming it to "PB31IMG.zip" (no quotes)(delete any other PB31IMG.zip you might have on there before pushing).

4. Boot into HBOOT, and it should recognize the PB31IMG.zip. Start the update and go get a drink (it might reboot once or twice, don't worry about it).

5. When that's done, reboot and you're at 2.2 stock!

That's it! These steps should bring you back to either 2.1 stock or 2.2 stock for a send-in!

I suggest a sticky as well.

Last edited:

Beeko

Feb 5, 2010
Eureka
Download links are down

EDIT: NVM, and thanks for the guide will become helpful in the future.

spjoneser

Jun 5, 2010
I would suggest sticky also. Things have changed a bit over the last few months and these instructions are current. In fact I just followed the exact steps in part 2 a week ago before sending in for a warranty. Did a nandroid before those steps and when I got my replacement all I had to do was run unrevoked 3.2 and restore my nandroid, right back where I left off!
Almost don't even see the need for part 1 though as 2.2 has become stock?

anyways, Thanks!

Berzerker7

Jan 17, 2010
The link for the RUU has a dash instead of an underscore. Here is a corrected link:http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/PB31IMG_3.21.605.1_RUU.zip
Fixed in OP.

I would suggest sticky also. Things have changed a bit over the last few months and these instructions are current. In fact I just followed the exact steps in part 2 a week ago before sending in for a warranty. Did a nandroid before those steps and when I got my replacement all I had to do was run unrevoked 3.2 and restore my nandroid, right back where I left off!
Almost don't even see the need for part 1 though as 2.2 has become stock?

anyways, Thanks!
Some people might want 2.1 for some odd reason, so I thought I'd include instructions (maybe they don't trust the 2.2 RUU or something, or want faster battery charging).

dg32

Aug 11, 2010

FYI you tried to link something in the word "this" and it didn't work.

Anyway, I put the PB31IMG-3.21.605.1_RUU.zip on my SD card as PB31IMG.zip and it wasn't recognized in HBOOT. I tried flashing the 2.15.00.07.28 radio as PB31IMG.zip and it wasn't recognized either.

Running Skyraider Sense 2.5.2, 2.05.00.06.11 radio. I ran unrevoked forever yesterday but then flashed the s-on file from your step 1A of part 2.

Berzerker7

Jan 17, 2010
FYI you tried to link something in the word "this" and it didn't work.

Anyway, I put the PB31IMG-3.21.605.1_RUU.zip on my SD card as PB31IMG.zip and it wasn't recognized in HBOOT. I tried flashing the 2.15.00.07.28 radio as PB31IMG.zip and it wasn't recognized either.

Running Skyraider Sense 2.5.2, 2.05.00.06.11 radio. I ran unrevoked forever yesterday but then flashed the s-on file from your step 1A of part 2.
Fixed link in OP.

If you're S-ON, you'll have to flash signed RUU's. Since your radio seems to be older than the 2.2 RUU, you can just flash the 2.2 RUU and it should recognize it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a few threads out there that have instructions on how to get back to stock. Well, they're either incomplete, or not very easy/quick. So I'm going to make this thread with the different "stocks" you can go to.

Part 1: rooted/s-off -> 2.1 stock for OTA upgrade
    Part 2: rooted/s-off -> 2.2 stock using the OTA RUU

Part 0:

1. Make sure you have ADB working, there are many tutorials around XDA/the internet on how to get it working on your computer.

2. After you've setup ADB, download the fastboot binary and put it in the tools folder with the adb binary, so that you can run the "fastboot" command.

Part 1: 2.1 stock for OTA upgrade

2. Download these two zip files: http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/revert.zip and http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/PB31IMG-77-1.00-2.1.zip

2A. Push PB31IMG-77-1.00-2.1.zip to your SDCard, renaming it to "PB31IMG.zip" (no quotes)(delete any other PB31IMG.zip you might have on there before pushing).

3. Unzip revert.zip to your desktop, reboot into recovery and execute the following commands from your cmd prompt/terminal:

Code:
    adb shell
    ~ # mount data
    ~ # exit
    adb push flash_image /data
    adb push mtd0.img /data
    adb shell
    ~ # cd /data
    ~ # chmod 755 flash_image
    ~ # flash_image misc mtd0.img
    ~ # exit
    adb reboot oem-78
    [b]MAKE SURE YOU TYPE [i]78[/i] and not any other number![/b]

You should see a black screen with a silver HTC logo. Now type:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    You should see something like HT056HJ01462 pop up. If that does, you're good.

4. Pull the battery, leave the phone off for about 10 seconds, then put the battery back in. Hold the volume *down* button as you put the battery back in, then press the power button (while still holding the volume down button). You should boot into HBOOT, and it should recognize the PB31IMG.zip. Start the update and go get a drink (it might reboot once or twice, don't worry about it).

(4B: If it keeps booting back into HBOOT, you'll need to apply it a second time, but you will not need to reflash misc, so just apply it again, it should take.)

5. When that's done, reboot, and you're done! You are now at 2.1 stock!

6. If you want to go through the OTA upgrade to 2.2, download this, rename it to update.zip and push it to your sdcard. Then, upgrade manually through recovery using the "apply sdcard:update.zip" option. After you reboot back into Android after that's done, you should be able to upgrade normally to 2.2 using the OTA.

Part 2: 2.2 stock using OTA RUU

2. Download this zip file: http://www.fourty.net/~berzerker/stockstuff/PB31IMG_3.26.605.1_RUU.zip

3. Push PB31IMG-3.21.605.1_RUU.zip to your SDCard, renaming it to "PB31IMG.zip" (no quotes)(delete any other PB31IMG.zip you might have on there before pushing).

4. Boot into HBOOT, and it should recognize the PB31IMG.zip. Start the update and go get a drink (it might reboot once or twice, don't worry about it).

5. When that's done, reboot and you're at 2.2 stock!

That's it! These steps should bring you back to either 2.1 stock or 2.2 stock for a send-in!

I suggest a sticky as well.
    Will part 2 work if I'm rooted/s-off using the 100% stock 2.2 ROM found in this forum?

Yes. /10char
    This just helped me out for my refurb coming tmw, thanks mang.
    Uploading now, will update the OP when it's done.
    OP is updated with current RUU.