[MOD - HOW TO] FFC for the Vibrant - How to do it

Search This thread

siirial

Jul 7, 2009
San Marcos
Disclaimer: XDA-Developers has zero affiliation and liability with this, and the sale of these parts is being allowed only for the sake of helping the modding community

My original thread was getting cluttered, and XDA asked me to make some changes, so here is the new thread on HOW TO DO THE MOD.

Breaking news available via my twitter feed, or #vibrantFFC

The US/T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S had it's FFC borked prior to manufacturing. This has left us an easy way to add it back in and open up the ability to explore video calling. From my experience thus far, their is poor support for software for FFC's in general, but this seems to be changing. As more of these cameras make it out to devs, expect to see more video calling and chatting apps to start appearing in the near future.

To accomplish this you need a few things:

1. Open your phone - Remove the battery cover, sd card, sim card, battery. remove the 7 screws around the back plate, then use the iPod opener tool to snap the rear plate off.
  2. Unsnap the various buckles to release the motherboard.
  3. remove the speaker and original camera
  4. turn the main board clockwise for about an inch to allow some space to work
  5. locate the FFC molding. It is above where the original camera was located. You can dry fit the new camera in place to see where the FFC goes. This is the area that the paint needs to be removed from
  6. Use your remover of choice and some qtips to get that paint off of there
  7. Let things completely dry before putting back together. 10 - 30 minutes should be fine
  8. snap new camera in place, check your work.
  9. If it looks good, installation is reverse of removal.

Some ROMs (2.2 base) do not include the font camera driver. If you cannot get it to work, try copying the attached file (unzip first - should have .yuv extension) to /system/camera on your phone. (requres root)

Attachments

• datapattern_front_420sp.zip
    3 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_20100927_223700-1.jpeg
    IMG_20100927_223700-1.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 3,601
  • vibrant.i9kcamera.front.blurry.jpg
    vibrant.i9kcamera.front.blurry.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,885
  • vibrant.i9kcamera.rear-picsay.jpg
    vibrant.i9kcamera.rear-picsay.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,811
  • vibrant.i9kcamera.rear.inside-picsay.jpeg
    vibrant.i9kcamera.rear.inside-picsay.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,815
Last edited:
Reactions: chikin and buru898

orells

May 31, 2009
Feel free to use min posted 10/3

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

NikolaiT

Aug 20, 2010
Apologies for the noob question but what do you mean in step 2? Do we actually have to take the motherboard out of the phone like in these videos: http://www.careace.net/2010/06/09/disassembly-of-the-samsung-galaxy-s/ and also is it really necessary to remove the speaker?

EDIT: Sorry for not being descriptive, What I mean is, does the speaker block this "socket"in which the FFC goes? If not then why is it necessary to remove it?

Last edited:

memorito

Some ROMs (2.2 base) do not include the font camera driver. If you cannot get it to work, try copying the attached file (unzip first - should have .yuv extension) to /system/camera on your phone. (requres root)

Do the files go in /system/camera or in /system/cameradata ?
I am trying to work it on the Bionix 1.7 rom and I keep getting errors.

Here are my mod pics just to show off. hehehehe.

memorito

Apologies for the noob question but what do you mean in step 2? Do we actually have to take the motherboard out of the phone like in these videos: http://www.careace.net/2010/06/09/disassembly-of-the-samsung-galaxy-s/ and also is it really necessary to remove the speaker?

EDIT: Sorry for not being descriptive, What I mean is, does the speaker block this "socket"in which the FFC goes? If not then why is it necessary to remove it?

That video is a general disassembly. It isn't specific to this mod. You can make the modification without removing the audio socket/speaker.

NikolaiT

Aug 20, 2010
comment removed (voluntarily, in interest of the company)

Last edited:

ZeroIsJdm

Apr 1, 2009
Florida
Dude thank you for this, im going to order the camera from you now and get this front facing camera business going....im tired of my evo buddies talkin ****!

:D

Side note.....im getting < 1000 quadrant scores and I saw somewhere that people were getting over 2000 scores with vibrants....any suggestions?

tank65

Jan 6, 2009
Dude thank you for this, im going to order the camera from you now and get this front facing camera business going....im tired of my evo buddies talkin ****!

:D

Side note.....im getting < 1000 quadrant scores and I saw somewhere that people were getting over 2000 scores with vibrants....any suggestions?

pretty sure its the lag fix

it2steve

Jul 21, 2010
DFW, TX
FFC 'mirror app' FC

got an error 'error occired while trying to open the FFC. The camera could not be started....'

Any Ideas? Loaded Bionix 1.9.1 from Stock today, copied datapattern_front_420sp.yuv in \system\cameradata and tried TWO different cameras

Still nothing. Any other way to test it?

Thanks for any insight

orells

May 31, 2009
got an error 'error occired while trying to open the FFC. The camera could not be started....'

Any Ideas? Loaded Bionix 1.9.1 from Stock today, copied datapattern_front_420sp.yuv in \system\cameradata and tried TWO different cameras

Thanks for any insight

you may want to reflash the rom

memorito

Thanks for any insight

It won't run on stock kernel. There are several threads going about the cams. You may want to read them to get a full sense of whats going on. But, it looks promising.

joshthewaster

Jul 17, 2010
SL,UT
Got mine installed a few minutes ago. I'm not on a rom that supports the FFC but the rear camera works, no lines or fuzziness as some reported. On first opening the camera app I tried to tap to focus and got a force close. Can't get it to happen again so I'm not sure why that happened. Other than that it's working perfectly.

I did notice on installing the camera that NOTHING but the camera needs to be unsnapped. There is a ribbon cable that has to be flexed into place to install the new one but it does save you from removing the whole board (not that it's hard but why bother). On installing the new camera I did notice almost a snap when the ffc popped into place.

chadti99

Jun 14, 2010
Did anyone manage to get a perfectly round hole? I tried for a couple hours with a qtip,some goo gone, and a screwdriver. While the results are respectable I'm curious if anyone found a way?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

ZeroIsJdm

Apr 1, 2009
Florida
pretty sure its the lag fix

Yeah....I saw something about how to apply the lag fix...but they gave absolutly not instructions on what it is or how to do it. Would you kindly point me in the right direction:confused:

This is what he said about how to apply the lagfix but honestly...no idea what im doing. :cool:

"How-to Apply Lagfix to My Rom " Do Not Use another Lagfix as it Breaks my PLaylogos1 Script..."

adb shell
su
mv /system/bin/userinit.sh /system/bin/used
reboot

Then

adb shell
su
busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/dataimg bs=1024 count=1048576
busybox mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0
busybox losetup /dev/loop0 /data/dataimg
busybox mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0
mkdir /data/data1
mv /system/bin/used /system/bin/userinit.sh
reboot

Thanks again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: XDA-Developers has zero affiliation and liability with this, and the sale of these parts is being allowed only for the sake of helping the modding community

My original thread was getting cluttered, and XDA asked me to make some changes, so here is the new thread on HOW TO DO THE MOD.

Breaking news available via my twitter feed, or #vibrantFFC

The US/T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S had it's FFC borked prior to manufacturing. This has left us an easy way to add it back in and open up the ability to explore video calling. From my experience thus far, their is poor support for software for FFC's in general, but this seems to be changing. As more of these cameras make it out to devs, expect to see more video calling and chatting apps to start appearing in the near future.

To accomplish this you need a few things:

1. Open your phone - Remove the battery cover, sd card, sim card, battery. remove the 7 screws around the back plate, then use the iPod opener tool to snap the rear plate off.
    2. Unsnap the various buckles to release the motherboard.
    3. remove the speaker and original camera
    4. turn the main board clockwise for about an inch to allow some space to work
    5. locate the FFC molding. It is above where the original camera was located. You can dry fit the new camera in place to see where the FFC goes. This is the area that the paint needs to be removed from
    6. Use your remover of choice and some qtips to get that paint off of there
    7. Let things completely dry before putting back together. 10 - 30 minutes should be fine
    8. snap new camera in place, check your work.
    9. If it looks good, installation is reverse of removal.

I heard the back camera (5.0MP) in the replacement camera was not that great? Or worse than the stock camera?

Wrong! It is definitely 5.0MP and the quality is the same as the stock one.

The problem is it doesn't seem to get enough power which is causing banding lines in the rear.

I would still recommend buying and installing this mod as the ffc works great and hopefully the rear camera issue will be resolved asap.

If anyone has questions regarding this MOD, let me know and il see if I can help. I have installed 8 of these and have 5 more on the way.

_Tim

Eugenes 2.2 [JPM]- FFC Mod
    Sent from my Vibrant using XDA App