Many people here want to be S-OFF on their HTC Desire but don't know how to be, this thread is for you !
Credits goes to all AlphaRev developpers.
What is S-OFF ?
(Quotes from original AlphaRev website)
HTC implemented security on their newer generation phones. This flag, called @secuflag, controls whether your phone has
it's NAND or flash unlocked. Most noticeably, S-ON (security on) will read-lock your /system and /recovery partition, to name a few. Also, secuflag controls whether zip files being flashed through recovery or fastboot, are signed by HTC.
The now notorious S-OFF (security off) will disable this NAND security.
Since we are unable to access the Radio NVRAM itself (where secuflag is stored), we turned our attention to HBOOT.
For more informations about AlphaRev S-OFF, read the OFFICIAL Thread HERE.
There is many solutions to install S-OFF, this tutorial will show you few methods.
TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK ! I'am not responsible of bricked phone, for more help try the OFFICIAL Thread.
- a ROOTed HTC Desire ROM with debugging option enabled on it.
- a computer running Windows XP/Vista/Seven (32 or 64 bits), Linux, or Emulation via WMware etc.
- a computer which can boot USB devices (for USB method only)
- a branded USB Key 32Mb or more (for USB method) or a CD to burn (for CD method).
EASIEST method so far seems to be now by "Revolutionary" method.
Please check this out before trying solutions below (they are manual and maybe outdated, because I don't have the time keep updated this topic, moreover I don't own anymore a HTC Desire).
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDES :
.: USB METHOD :.
- Be sure to Nandroid backup your device from recovery (just in case).
- Download the latest Universal USB Installer or UnetBootin.
- Download ISO Reflash Utility from AlphaRev website.
- Install the software of your choice.
- Open it, and select your USB device and your AlphaRev ISO freshly downloaded.
- Create your bootable USB key.
- Reboot your computer and boot on the USB key you freshly created.
- Press any key to accept the disclamer.
- Once you are in your ROM, plug your Desire with the USB cable on your computer.
- /!\ DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING TILL YOU GET THE FINISH MESSAGE AT STEP 3 /!\
The USB key method worked 100% for me, I personally installed my S-OFF exactly like that on my Desire.
.: CD METHOD :. (by jshields)
.: VirtualBox METHOD :. (by Stewge)
.: VMWare METHOD :. (by -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-)
Congratulations ! you are done !
Note : If for some unknown reasons you cannot access your Recovery anymore, it's normal, you must flash your Recovery using "fastboot" (SDK Android Kit must be installed on your running computer).
You have the choice between flashing a custom recovery like ClockWork one or put the original one but I sugger you the custom one which gives you much many more features
How to flash your recovery using ClockWork's image :
- Download Clockworkmod 220.127.116.11 recovery image from official AlphaRev thread for bravo.
- Move the file into "C:\android-sdk-windows\tools" (default sdk android folder's installation).
- Verify MD5 checksum of the image with a freeware like HashCalc or something (IMPORTANT !).
- Go to the main menu of your AlphaRev HBOOT (turn on your device with return button pressed).
- Go to "FASTBOOT" mode.
- Go to your computer and open a new terminal (Administrator privileges required if Windows Vista or 7).
- Enter exactly this (without ") : "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-18.104.22.168-bravo.img".
Now you will have a ClockWork Recovery image installed and working
Note 2 : If your device freeze on boot logo, apply your Nandroid backup that your did before S-OFF.. that should do the trick.
If one day you want to S-ON your phone again, just reflash an original RUU rom !
If you enjoy this guide, don't forget to rate it stars, and clicking the button (right below) is always appreciated to keep this thread maintained