FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] How to S-OFF your HTC Desire

2,896 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,643

By AndroidGX, Recognized Contributor on 11th October 2010, 09:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi there !

Many people here want to be S-OFF on their HTC Desire but don't know how to be, this thread is for you !

Credits goes to all AlphaRev developpers.

What is S-OFF ?
(Quotes from original AlphaRev website)
Quote:

HTC implemented security on their newer generation phones. This flag, called @secuflag, controls whether your phone has
it's NAND or flash unlocked. Most noticeably, S-ON (security on) will read-lock your /system and /recovery partition, to name a few. Also, secuflag controls whether zip files being flashed through recovery or fastboot, are signed by HTC.

The now notorious S-OFF (security off) will disable this NAND security.
Since we are unable to access the Radio NVRAM itself (where secuflag is stored), we turned our attention to HBOOT.

For more informations about AlphaRev S-OFF, read the OFFICIAL Thread HERE.

There is many solutions to install S-OFF, this tutorial will show you few methods.
TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK ! I'am not responsible of bricked phone, for more help try the OFFICIAL Thread.

PREREQUISITES :
  • a ROOTed HTC Desire ROM with debugging option enabled on it.
  • a computer running Windows XP/Vista/Seven (32 or 64 bits), Linux, or Emulation via WMware etc.
  • a computer which can boot USB devices (for USB method only)
  • a branded USB Key 32Mb or more (for USB method) or a CD to burn (for CD method).

EASIEST method so far seems to be now by "Revolutionary" method.
Please check this out before trying solutions below (they are manual and maybe outdated, because I don't have the time keep updated this topic, moreover I don't own anymore a HTC Desire).

STEP-BY-STEP GUIDES :

.: USB METHOD :.
  1. Be sure to Nandroid backup your device from recovery (just in case).
  2. Download the latest Universal USB Installer or UnetBootin.
  3. Download ISO Reflash Utility from AlphaRev website.
  4. Install the software of your choice.
  5. Open it, and select your USB device and your AlphaRev ISO freshly downloaded.
  6. Create your bootable USB key.
  7. Reboot your computer and boot on the USB key you freshly created.
  8. Press any key to accept the disclamer.
  9. Once you are in your ROM, plug your Desire with the USB cable on your computer.
  10. /!\ DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING TILL YOU GET THE FINISH MESSAGE AT STEP 3 /!\
(Some users reports it can take over 1 hour. Passed this time, pull out the battery and reboot your phone).

The USB key method worked 100% for me, I personally installed my S-OFF exactly like that on my Desire.

.: CD METHOD :. (by jshields)

Clic HERE

.: VirtualBox METHOD :. (by Stewge)

Clic HERE

.: VMWare METHOD :. (by -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-)

Clic HERE

Congratulations ! you are done !

Note : If for some unknown reasons you cannot access your Recovery anymore, it's normal, you must flash your Recovery using "fastboot" (SDK Android Kit must be installed on your running computer).
You have the choice between flashing a custom recovery like ClockWork one or put the original one but I sugger you the custom one which gives you much many more features

How to flash your recovery using ClockWork's image :
  1. Download Clockworkmod 2.5.0.7 recovery image from official AlphaRev thread for bravo.
  2. Move the file into "C:\android-sdk-windows\tools" (default sdk android folder's installation).
  3. Verify MD5 checksum of the image with a freeware like HashCalc or something (IMPORTANT !).
  4. Go to the main menu of your AlphaRev HBOOT (turn on your device with return button pressed).
  5. Go to "FASTBOOT" mode.
  6. Go to your computer and open a new terminal (Administrator privileges required if Windows Vista or 7).
  7. Enter exactly this (without ") : "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.7-bravo.img".

Now you will have a ClockWork Recovery image installed and working

Note 2 : If your device freeze on boot logo, apply your Nandroid backup that your did before S-OFF.. that should do the trick.

If one day you want to S-ON your phone again, just reflash an original RUU rom !

Need supports ? all kind of questions must be posted on this thread directly. Be sure to read the whole thread (or at least 5 latest pages) before asking any question.
If you enjoy this guide, don't forget to rate it stars, and clicking the button (right below) is always appreciated to keep this thread maintained

LIKE MY WORK ?
OFFER ME A

!
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to AndroidGX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroidGX Ad-Free

11th October 2010, 09:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thank you so much, been waiting for this, will try it out later
The Following User Says Thank You to DreamWiva For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DreamWiva Ad-Free
11th October 2010, 10:04 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
nice tut but you can avoid installing anything, You can just use UnetBootin
The Following User Says Thank You to Beaverman20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Beaverman20 Ad-Free
11th October 2010, 10:07 PM |#4  
Flag Chester
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Or CD version
1.download Alpha Rev.iso
2.burn .iso image to CD using a iso burning software eg. Power ISO
3.boot from CD eg. Hold F12 at boot
4.press the Legendary enter

TIPS connect USB when the CD has booted

Any problems just pm me

Sent from my HTC Desire s-off
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jshields For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jshields Ad-Free
11th October 2010, 10:11 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverman20

nice tut but you can avoid installing anything, You can just use UnetBootin

It's nearly the same, you don't have to install universal usb installer, however, it is Windows-only.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to aaargh777 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aaargh777 Ad-Free
12th October 2010, 12:23 AM |#6  
Flag Larino [east coast Italy]
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Really good work... a simple and clear guide
The Following User Says Thank You to Beppemi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Beppemi Ad-Free
12th October 2010, 12:48 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 616

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshields

Or CD version
1.download Alpha Rev.iso
2.burn .iso image to CD using a iso burning software eg. Power ISO
3.boot from CD eg. Hold F12 at boot
4.press the Legendary enter

TIPS connect USB when the CD has booted

Any problems just pm me

Sent from my HTC Desire s-off

Yeah, I found it much easier to just burn to a rewrittable CD. F8 on bootup to load up my boot menu, then I selected my CD Rom.
12th October 2010, 02:40 AM |#8  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 17

More
nice tut, simple and very clearly...
oh don't forget to put in the first post for ppl who gets stuck at stage 3 (it happen to me) just to wait for about 30 minutes or more (don't know exactly how long, just for safety), and then pull out the battery and reboot the phone...
many ppl report it work....

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zen15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zen15 Ad-Free
12th October 2010, 03:10 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
Unhappy
I think I'm done with the flashing of the hboot from alpharev
But now my phone keeps rebooting to the fastboot screen.
I've tried removing the battery and rebooting again, reboot from fastboot, reboot from clockwork recovery... but i still cant boot up my rom.......
Anyone can shed me a light on what went wrong?
The Following User Says Thank You to niaoRen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift niaoRen Ad-Free
12th October 2010, 07:55 AM |#10  
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 35

More
All options to apply S-off should be included, this is a 'how to', and this is not THE only way to do it, personally I found virtual box the easiest method for me. I just think that some other options should be made clear to people, maybe people that have used a different method could add their own ' how to' to this thread?

Great idea though to help people.

sent from my HTC Desire, powered by a SuperVillain using XDA App.
12th October 2010, 08:03 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Sorry to noob it up here but what are the benefits of S-OFF. im guessing it means security. does this enable us to hack the kernal? as a user who doesnt do programming but likes to mod my phone alot what could i gain out of this?

thankyou in advance
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)