[APP][UPDATE 10/21/2010]DashBoard V6 (formerly CarMode)

Search This thread

xr4v3nx

Mar 17, 2010
CarMode is now DashBoard! And is now available in the Market! Search "DashBoard" (without the quotes) by Nidus Network.

I'm not getting any info from you guys regarding the Action, Package and Class names for each of your phones/ROMs. I can do this myself but it will take me weeks for there are LOTS of phones/ROMs/versions out there. So to fix the force close issues, I've decided to make the users input the apps themselves by typing in their package and class names. Until I get those info I need, there isn't really any other easier way.

Visit the huge link just below this paragraph for the different packages/classes.

So, how do I make this app work?

Easy Method
1) Install LauncherPro from the Market
2) Go to your phone's home (desktop), press and hold a blank space
3) Navigate to Shortcuts > Activities
4) Look for the app you want to add in DashBoard
5) It will only show you the package class. Most of the time, the package name will be what you mostly see that's familiar with all the package class of that certain app. Write down possible package names/class names (package name is e.g. com.android.settings and class name goes something like com.android.settings.Settings)
6) Fill the info you got in the fields under the Settings in the DashBoard app
7) If you can't find the icon for your app, please request it here and I will make one :D

You can find some of these by visiting http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8654315&postcount=35. Also, share what works and what doesn't for you.

Hard Method - More chances of success
1) Install Log Collector from the Market (FREE)
2) Run the app or behavior you want to add
3) Open Log Collector and send the log to your e-mail, or post it here if you need help finding the thing you want to run
4) Look for terms such as com.android.contacts/com.android.contacts/DialtactsActivity
5) That's your clue. Package name is com.android.contacts while class is com.android.contacts.DialtactsActivity
6) Input that to the fields in DashBoard
7) If you can't find the icon for your app, please request it here and I will make one :D

If I have more time, I will post a thorough step-by-step guide on how to add app shortcuts. Thanks!

App Description

AT THE MOMENT, THIS IS FOR POWER-USERS ONLY OR THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO LEARN

Introducing DashBoard, formerly CarMode, an alternative to Car Home. Basically what it does is it shows you huge buttons to important apps that you might use when driving a vehicle with less distraction than manually waking your phone, opening the app drawer, etc. Unlike Car Home, this app will give you more flexibility and more settings to poke around with (even better in future updates).

*NEW* Driving Mode with Handsfree Auto-respond and Text-To-Speech! When activated, DashBoard sends a text message to any person that texts you while Driving Mode is ON and reads the message afterwards, completely handsfree! Like all TTS apps, you need to download TTS Service Extended from the Market and set the speech speed to your liking.

*SOON* Car Locator

Looks best with MDPI devices (320x480 resolution, e.g. Droid Eris).

As of now, this app is currently in Beta phase. What you see right now does not reflect how it will look like and work in the future. I'm working hard to make changes and add more features. Currently NOT in the Market but available on GetJar.com (updates appear within 24 hours in GetJar.com)

snap20101021_012046.png
snap20101021_012110.png
snap20101021_012130.png

snap20101021_012210.png
snap20101021_012254.png

You can fully customize what buttons and icons appear and do. With basic knowledge on package name and package class, you can launch any app/behavior you want from your phone!

To-Do-List:
00% - Built-in texting and calling components
10% - Add more tools, options
30% - Where-did-I-park? feature
05% - Fix layout for HDPI devices
05% - Fix layout for landscape mode

Changelog:

V6 October 21
Driving Mode with Handsfree Auto-respond and Text-To-Speech now implemented (Requires TTS Service Extended from the Market)
Speed improvements
Cleaned up codes
Added 2 new text fields in the Settings for Action and Data URI
Button to delete saved app values

V5 October 15
Removed Hide/Show Button feature
Ability to add and launch own apps
Upgraded Note-taker tool
Cleaned up codes
Removed default actions/intents/package name/package class

V4 October 13:
-Pulled-

V3 October 10:
Changed theme
Removed button sets (temporary)
Added more buttons
Reworked layout
Added a persistent option to hide/show buttons

V2 October 5:
Changed app icon.
Added two button sets
Added several settings options
7 total buttons

V1 October 1:
First release

Current Version:

New versions do not update the old version, so uninstall the old then install the new or vice versa.

Version 6 (MD5: 930f84237624a6544d2abcb1c650ba4e)

Download directly to phone:

img.php

Mirror #1: DashBoard V6
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5867241/DashBoard_V6_release.apk

Mirror #2: DashBoard V6
http://www.getjar.com/mobile/44949/CarMode Please make sure to look at the version number, it takes a while for GetJar to post new uploads.

Mirror #3: DashBoard V6
See attachment below

Past Versions:

DashBoard V5 (MD5: b3c7e64f3cf7038e35860fe928f0174c)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5867241/DashBoard_V5_release.apk

Virus Scan: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=42acc0a5864ca8d181602a2362c8fed7c91c2b08e37355fce256f63e34e72705-1287204854

CarMode V3 (MD5: a6412089ba3f024fabdc7826317d3e14)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5867241/signedCarMode_v3.apk

Virus Scan: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=deccef5187a628ae95933e330814b66a8702808248d908f7192bddd0ae0ccf8a-1286737645

CarMode V2 (MD5: 8aa632dc7487007ad6297f46e49497b3)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5867241/signedCarMode.apk

Virus Scan: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=67a177566d310c4521637e6947bb61cf7d76d56ee17612669b7d6bca3577e566-1286266452

Attachments

• DashBoard_V6_release.apk
    2.7 MB · Views: 444
Last edited:

freco

May 17, 2007
Athens
Briliant idea. Since it's rainy these days here in Athens and I use my car insted of my motorbike, I can give it a try.

Fisrt impresions.
Display button gives me a Force Close. Which app do you call?
Shazam, Navigation, FC too, but once you get "settings" to work will be fine.
You need also to add a "delete note" button.
You should also try higher resolution if it's possible in AppInventor.

Tested (short of..) on X10i with Android 1.6 (ya ya I know... still waiting SE...).

Thanks.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJay

Aug 20, 2010
Get FC on Dialer :( which would be 1 of my main uses.
In landscape mode, I still have 2x3 icons and have to scroll down to find the other icons.

SpaceK33z

Sep 24, 2010
Eindhoven
Nice idea, The CarHome app from Google won't let me choose to use other Navigation Software. It would be great if CarMode lets users chose which navigation software they want to use.

andymnc

Apr 17, 2007
bugs

i'm trying it on SE x10 mini (e10i), android 1.6 last SE official italian rom.

the app starts, but taping on the DIALER, MESSAGES, CALL LOG, CONTACTS or DISPLAY buttons, the app crashes and i've to tap on "terminate" (app disappear and i'm back on android desktop).

i've also tried SHAZAM, NAVIGATION, VOICE SEARCH and other app buttons... works fine.

I think that SE'd modified a lot the platform and calls to DIALER and so on are not the same of the "regular" android.

hope b usefull

RAZOR1985

Feb 28, 2008
Ghent
What else should I add? The less the better 'cause I don't want people to be distracted too much when driving! Please do suggest! If you're familiar with App Inventor and is good at it, may I ask some advice from you? Send me a PM. Thank you!

If I may, something that I think Car Home from google is lacking, and would be a great feature for your program:
When I enter my car, I have to put my phone on the charger, enable bluetooth, enable GPS and start my navigation software. I think this is quite a hassle, and should be shortened.
Car home has a nice feature: when the paired carkit is found, it starts up. This could be so much more though. What I'm proposing is the following:
1) I put the phone on the carkit.
2) Carmode detects a charger, and activates bluetooth for 30 seconds.
3a) Carmode doesn't find the paired carkit, and deactivates bluetooth again OR
3b) Carmode finds the carkit, fires up the GPS, and launches it's GUI with the big buttons.
4) I remove the phone from the carkit, Carmode detects this, and shuts down bluetooth and GPS connections, and programs launched from it's GUI and the GUI itself.

I have no idea how much of this is actually possible, and how much is already there, but this would be awesome, and I would pay for an app that does this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

Munk0

Jun 24, 2010
Sacramento
Awesome work! This is a great app and seems to be getting better every day.

I haven't installed it yet but the one thing that I can see as a possibility is to add a "voice note" instead of typing. The typing thing is a no no while driving but if you could speak a note and play it back later it could be a big time saver.

Keep up the good work. :D

xr4v3nx

Mar 17, 2010
Briliant idea. Since it's rainy these days here in Athens and I use my car insted of my motorbike, I can give it a try.

Fisrt impresions.
Display button gives me a Force Close. Which app do you call?
Shazam, Navigation, FC too, but once you get "settings" to work will be fine.
You need also to add a "delete note" button.
You should also try higher resolution if it's possible in AppInventor.

Tested (short of..) on X10i with Android 1.6 (ya ya I know... still waiting SE...).

Thanks.

Oh my, force closes are bad :mad: I never thought about the differences in actions/classes/packages in every ROM/version/phone.

I based it on a Froyo ROM:

Display: com.android.settings.display
Dialer: com.android.contacts.DialtactsActivity
Navigation: com.google.android.maps.driveabout.app.DestinationActivity
Shazam: com.shazam.android.Tagging (straight to the Tagging, not the splash screen, saves a couple of seconds)

For the high resolution, I'm currently working on it :)

Get FC on Dialer :( which would be 1 of my main uses.
In landscape mode, I still have 2x3 icons and have to scroll down to find the other icons.

May I know what phone, version and ROM you are using? And yeah, I'm also working on the landscape mode :)

Nice idea, The CarHome app from Google won't let me choose to use other Navigation Software. It would be great if CarMode lets users chose which navigation software they want to use.

Right now, I'm working on a way to include apps that users may want to add. No worries, we'll get there :D

i'm trying it on SE x10 mini (e10i), android 1.6 last SE official italian rom.

the app starts, but taping on the DIALER, MESSAGES, CALL LOG, CONTACTS or DISPLAY buttons, the app crashes and i've to tap on "terminate" (app disappear and i'm back on android desktop).

i've also tried SHAZAM, NAVIGATION, VOICE SEARCH and other app buttons... works fine.

I think that SE'd modified a lot the platform and calls to DIALER and so on are not the same of the "regular" android.

hope b usefull

Thanks for the info!

If I may, something that I think Car Home from google is lacking, and would be a great feature for your program:
When I enter my car, I have to put my phone on the charger, enable bluetooth, enable GPS and start my navigation software. I think this is quite a hassle, and should be shortened.
Car home has a nice feature: when the paired carkit is found, it starts up. This could be so much more though. What I'm proposing is the following:
1) I put the phone on the carkit.
2) Carmode detects a charger, and activates bluetooth for 30 seconds.
3a) Carmode doesn't find the paired carkit, and deactivates bluetooth again OR
3b) Carmode finds the carkit, fires up the GPS, and launches it's GUI with the big buttons.
4) I remove the phone from the carkit, Carmode detects this, and shuts down bluetooth and GPS connections, and programs launched from it's GUI and the GUI itself.

I have no idea how much of this is actually possible, and how much is already there, but this would be awesome, and I would pay for an app that does this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Brilliant idea! But I think , right now, AI has a lot of limitations. It still can't detect phone's charging state and could not toggle GPS on/off :( I'll find a way though so just tune in :) I like that idea :p

Awesome work! This is a great app and seems to be getting better every day.

I haven't installed it yet but the one thing that I can see as a possibility is to add a "voice note" instead of typing. The typing thing is a no no while driving but if you could speak a note and play it back later it could be a big time saver.

Keep up the good work. :D

Oh, I'll add that feature in the Notes page too :)

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions! I'm so happy :) If you guys have LauncherPro as a home replacement app, could you guys check the Activites (long press the desktop > Shortcuts > Activities), and check what calls (e.g. com.android.settings, etc) the:

Navigation
Dialer
Settings
Display
Maps
Contacts
Shazam

.. and whatever you seem is good to add (you could also take a screenshot, much easier, whatever suits you)

Again, thank you so much! I'll be working hard to fix the problems.

Summary of things to fix/add:
Force close issues (need help from you guys, check my message above :D)
Fix landscape layout
Voice input for note-taking
Choose own apps to launch
HDPI layout fixes

And one more thing, can you guys take a screenshot of how CarMode appears in your phone, especially for high resolution devices (greater than 320x480 screens) so I'll know what parts to fix? 'Cause I only have the Eris (MDPI) to try on. Gracias!

Last edited:

Drewbladez

Jun 29, 2010
Works great

Works great on the samsung moment. looking forward to future update when you can change the order of what and maybe some more quick launch options

THANKS

Last edited:

freco

May 17, 2007
Athens
LOL... There is a Car Mode (found on market) and CarModeV3 (this very app we are talking about).

@xr4v3nx, maybe you should change your app name since there is already one on the market. Think about changing the app icon too (that's my opinion). It looks awful on X10. Maybe because of the higher resolution.

Good work. Keep on. :)

xr4v3nx

Mar 17, 2010
Whoa whoa there's a CarMode in the Market? :confused:

It appears that it's not visible in my Market.

Yeah, I should change it and the icon too :p

movieaddict

Jul 24, 2010
crashes on my samsung vibrant!

Great app, loved the idea i would use it if it didnt keep FC on me eveytime i click on something on it like dialer or anything else? Any ideas why its FC on me?

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
Great app, loved the idea i would use it if it didnt keep FC on me eveytime i click on something on it like dialer or anything else? Any ideas why its FC on me?

Give him more info! What phone are you using? What firmware? Maybe an error log would help.

Anyways, great looking app. I'll download it tonight and fool around with it and let you know what I think.

xr4v3nx

Mar 17, 2010

Oh, like what miztaken1312 said, please provide more info. The probable cause is that the intent/action/package/class I placed was different for your phone. ROM and phone model? :cool:

Give him more info! What phone are you using? What firmware? Maybe an error log would help.

Anyways, great looking app. I'll download it tonight and fool around with it and let you know what I think.

Yes! Please do :) I'm currently waiting for someone to send some package name and class for their phone/ROM so I can start fixing force closes.

*sigh*.... someone needs to make something like this for Winmo......

Yeah :( Ask the devs out there for WinMo's?