[WORKING] UPDATED:11/10/10 WiFi Calling App for Nexus One - TMobile ONLY!

Is WiFi Calling working for you?

• Yes

Votes: 95 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
Wifi Calling now working! This is a T-Mobile US only feature as your phone carrier must have the architecture on their end for this to work.

Wifi Calling still uses your minutes as if you were connected to a tower.

Wifi Calling turns off your cellular radio when it's connected. This saves power and will also show -113dB signal.

Wifi Calling also sends SMS and MMS over wifi.

[11/10/10 v1.0]
-fixed kineto_ko kernel module. its now included and loads on bootup, compiled from cyanogenmod-exp kernel
-should make it easier for everyone past and present to get wifi calling up and running.
-temporarily disabled bundled kineto app, it was causing problems so until I figure it out I'm not including it with the update.zip

Thanks to Rsotbiemrptson for getting the Libraries and everything into an update.zip.
Thanks to intersectRaven for the kernel mod's regarding kineto and applying the WiFi PM FAST patch.
Thanks to Myshkinbob for the research and creating PM FAST patch.

To Install
1)If you don't have the 5.08 or 5.12 radio installed you MUST install that first!
2)Download and flash the Wildmonks or intersectraven kernel(before flashing kineto!)from the links below
3)Download and flash kineto-n1-bundle attached below.
4)Download and install MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
5)If you install any kernel, 720p hacks or mods it can break wifi calling.. any time you flash an update.zip re-flash the kineto bundle. There are important libraries linked in build.prop that must be in or there will be problems. You can attempt to make a custom build.prop or post in the forum for help.
5)Enjoy!

Known Issues
-Bluetooth - Calls are not being connected to a bluetooth at this time.
-Bootloops on enabling wifi - Update your radio! 5.12 or 5.08 is required.
-After flashing if you still experience call problems it will be necessary to change your setcpu screen off profile to 245min 384max.
-Volume is low
-Sporadic MMS sending problems(APN related)

intersectRaven Kernels
CM Based Kernel 20101108_1328 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4obtdv52efkvece
NON-CM Based Kernel 20101108_1328 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?urv9wl2ek0fae9c

wildmonks Kernels
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=693375

Attachments

• kineto-n1-bundle-v1.0-signed.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 3,759
  • MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
    3.3 MB · Views: 3,483
Last edited:

xghostyxjokerx

Sep 26, 2009
Credit to the G2 OTA Update thread and Stryf3 for the APK extraction. I've installed this but I keep getting "Please wait while connecting to T-Mobile". I figured I'd upload it here for fellow N1's while I played with it. :confused:

*Update with logcat:
I/Kineto::main( 312): Kineto: SendAlarmEvent Enter
E/KINETO ( 312): KLOG0A2- ERROR: IBS Msg Q Post: size is too large
E/KINETO ( 312): KLOG0A2- ERROR: Failed to post to Queue
I/Kineto::Receiver( 312): onReceive Exit
D/KIPCapp ( 312): KIPC_SendMessage: len = 1, socket = 0
D/KIPCapp ( 312): Connecting... socket = 53, state = 0
D/KIPCapp ( 312): Address is 127.0.0.1, Port is 45211
E/KIPCapp ( 312): Connect failed 111
E/KINETO ( 312): KLOG103- ganswitch_init - error sending message!
I/Kineto::Receiver( 312): onReceive Enter
E/KINETO ( 312): KLOG0A2- ERROR: IBS Msg Q Post: size is too large
E/KINETO ( 312): KLOG0A2- ERROR: Failed to post to Queue
I/Kineto::Receiver( 312): onReceive Exit
D/KIPCapp ( 312): Connect failed 111
E/KINETO ( 312): KLOG0C3- xmk_QueryOSQueue SDL Queue empty : WAIT_FOREVER
E/KINETO ( 312): KLOG0A3- ibs_os_GetMsg: Timeout forever for UKCC qHnd 0x814310a4
I/Kineto::Receiver( 312): onReceive Enter

same here stuck on enabling.....please someone fix...keep us posted please

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
From the looks of things, there is an underlying app that the Wifi Calling app connects to. Any thoughts?

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
Kineto apk has a oss.html which calls out files used for IPSec VPN connections. I suspect some VPN magic at work.

It's possible there is a tunnel which it is trying to establish, I'd like to think that it would only do that when the wifi calling is enabled. I'm getting a crazy flow from logcat of it trying to connect even when wifi calling is off and wifi is off.

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
There is a local daemon or missing piece of software it can't connect to. Is this application in the radio or is it another apk?

Viralblack

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2010
Akron, OH
Ive stripped it down and am in the process of reading, but it needs to be set to try to connect to something or somewhere, without the datafile that tells it where to connect to it just cycles a connect to localhost

the package just loops trying to connect to 127.0.0.1

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
Ive stripped it down and am in the process of reading, but it needs to be set to try to connect to something or somewhere, without the datafile that tells it where to connect to it just cycles a connect to localhost

the package just loops trying to connect to 127.0.0.1

I'm in the process of getting a full update.zip.. no luck tonight so I'm calling it and goin to bed :(

theomajigga

Sep 26, 2009
Hudson, WI
I want to guess that it *could* possibly be in a host file.... It seems like it is doing a port loopback, to the radio... I assume...

do we have an IRC to talk to the guy that pulled this out of his phone?

iria

Oct 4, 2009
It could be in the hosts file. I hope we get this soon, because I have like zero service in my apartment and this will be amazing

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
Here's a quote that might clarify some things:

So here’s the update on yesterday’s reported OTA update to the G2, which brought Wi-Fi calling and mobile hotspot creation to a very small set of users. T-Mobile released this official statement to clarify its position:
“Wi-Fi Calling and tethering Wi-Fi sharing are not currently supported on the T-Mobile G2. T-Mobile knows these features are important to consumers and we’re working to deliver them to G2 users in the future. We have nothing further to announce at this time.”
It’s pretty much what they’ve said before on the subject, and it doesn’t tell us much. It could mean that the update we saw yesterday was just a test and won’t be rolled out to the rest of G2 owners. Or it might be a test sample to see how these features affect data traffic, in order to help T-Mo with pricing. Or maybe they really are rolling it out to everyone and just haven’t put the support feautres, etc. in place yet.
via PhoneScoop by way of TmoNews

Mar 22, 2008
Bellevue, WA
Just installing the apk won't be enough. There are a few libraries that will be needed as well. The kineto libraries and module(s) will be needed as well. The path to the RIL will have to be redirected also. This is likely changed via the build prop. A full system dump from a WiFi calling equipped G2 would be needed.

Last edited:

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
I still have not been able to source the original G2 OTA update.zip nor have I any luck finding someone with an updated G2 to pull specifics on the Kineto app configuration. If anyone has any luck with any of the above please post.

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
I still have not been able to source the original G2 OTA update.zip nor have I any luck finding someone with an updated G2 to pull specifics on the Kineto app configuration. If anyone has any luck with any of the above please post.

A co-worker recently obtained a G2. I will see if he has gotten the update, and if so, if he will help us :)

djstaid

Aug 11, 2010
SE Mich
Weird thing is that I installed this and it actually worked, or at least looked like it worked for a minute. I got a new icon on the taskbar when calling with it enabled, and the call went through fine.

I turned the wifi calling off and then back on and now it is acting like everyone else's now... stuck on enabling. :(

Not sure if it actually was working for that one call, but it sure seemed like it. Wish I would have thought to grab a screenshot.

bwinger79

Sep 23, 2009
Denver
Same here. When I originally installed the app, I had WiFi turned on and was at home near my UMA router. Worked fine until I disabled the application and attempted to re-enable it. Now stuck on enabling like everyone else.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wifi Calling now working! This is a T-Mobile US only feature as your phone carrier must have the architecture on their end for this to work.

Wifi Calling still uses your minutes as if you were connected to a tower.

Wifi Calling turns off your cellular radio when it's connected. This saves power and will also show -113dB signal.

Wifi Calling also sends SMS and MMS over wifi.

[11/10/10 v1.0]
    -fixed kineto_ko kernel module. its now included and loads on bootup, compiled from cyanogenmod-exp kernel
    -should make it easier for everyone past and present to get wifi calling up and running.
    -temporarily disabled bundled kineto app, it was causing problems so until I figure it out I'm not including it with the update.zip

Thanks to Rsotbiemrptson for getting the Libraries and everything into an update.zip.
    Thanks to intersectRaven for the kernel mod's regarding kineto and applying the WiFi PM FAST patch.
    Thanks to Myshkinbob for the research and creating PM FAST patch.

To Install
    1)If you don't have the 5.08 or 5.12 radio installed you MUST install that first!
    2)Download and flash the Wildmonks or intersectraven kernel(before flashing kineto!)from the links below
    3)Download and flash kineto-n1-bundle attached below.
    4)Download and install MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
    5)If you install any kernel, 720p hacks or mods it can break wifi calling.. any time you flash an update.zip re-flash the kineto bundle. There are important libraries linked in build.prop that must be in or there will be problems. You can attempt to make a custom build.prop or post in the forum for help.
    5)Enjoy!

Known Issues
    -Bluetooth - Calls are not being connected to a bluetooth at this time.
    -Bootloops on enabling wifi - Update your radio! 5.12 or 5.08 is required.
    -After flashing if you still experience call problems it will be necessary to change your setcpu screen off profile to 245min 384max.
    -Volume is low
    -Sporadic MMS sending problems(APN related)

intersectRaven Kernels
    CM Based Kernel 20101108_1328 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4obtdv52efkvece
    NON-CM Based Kernel 20101108_1328 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?urv9wl2ek0fae9c

wildmonks Kernels
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=693375
    Possible solution found

I have gotten WiFi calling working on a CyanogenMod 6.1.0 RC1 rom. I have attached the files that I used to get it working and instructions. I am hoping someone else can try it out to see if it works for them.This could also work over an existing install of CyanogenMod 6.1.0. I also think it would work on an Evil rom with a modded non-CM IntersectRaven kernel.

First off thanks:
    Cyanogen for his rom
    IntersectRaven for his kernel
    Evil for his libs and module
    Dekips for the WiFi Calling app
    Halfwaytothepole for his build.prop mods
    This thread for the other information

What I am running:
    CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Slightly altered; have removed a few apps, added some others, Gapps included, and have added Darktremor's Apps2SD 2.7.5.2) but should work on stock
    T-Mobile US
    Radio 5.12.00.08

Instructions:
    1. Download CyanogenMod 6.1.0 rom and copy to SD-Card (Not included)
    2. Download the app from the first post or this one and copy to SD-Card
    3. Download WiFi_Calling.zip and extract the contents to you SD-Card
    4. Flash CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Gapps is optional, It is included in my mod)
    5. Go through the initial setup and sign in, then reboot to recovery
    6. Flash WiFi Calling Kernel.zip, reboot, then reboot to recovery (It's IntersectRaven's kernel but can't remember which date, fairly new though, that I have added kineto_gan.ko to)
    7. Flash WiFi Calling Libs.zip, reboot (Includes libs from Evil's Mytouch4G v.0.6 Rom, and a modded build.prop from a stock 2.2.1 rom)
    8. Install MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
    9. Connect to WiFi
    10. Open App and enable
    11. Enjoy

Rsotbiemrptson
    With Gingerbread ROM's being worked on by several mod's here on XDA, any timetable on getting this work for Gingerbread? I'm now swapping back and forth between CM Nightly #295 & MicroMOD's Gingerbread AOSP depending on needs but would prefer to stick to one (GB obviously).

Thanks again to all that have worked on this as its saved me a ton of headaches with crappy signal at my house.
    In the meantime it looks like the folks over at Cyanogen are looking to get Wifi Calling on Gingerbread according to the latest status:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#q,status:merged,n,z

UPDATE: Looks like its official. Just got the word from Cyanogen that its working.... Need to pull a nightly to see if its working or now. According to him, the nightlies will be starting up next week!
    For those looking to use WiFi Calling on CyanogenMod 7, please see my thread here!

Thanks everyone!