FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy 3 GT-i5800: root, gps fix, lagfix, upgrading (JPM/JPD fw)

153 posts
Thanks Meter: 52

By slumpolo, Senior Member on 9th September 2010, 03:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th October 2010, 11:55 AM |#521  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex4u

Edit :
My phone is not detecting USB connection. It does not ask me on USB connection and phone is not detected on Windows (but in Linux 'lsusb' shows it), only battery starts charging
What to do ?

I have this happen on quite regular basis with stock JG7 at least. It's not problem with drivers, because even without drivers, the phone should indicate USB connection once you connect it to PC. However, it just behaves as if you connected regular charger. And dmesg show is as modem something.

Anyway, after searching all over the internet, I found the way to get USB connection working again without hard reset. Try this:

1. Dial *#7284#. This should open app called PhoneUtil (there are other ways to get to it)

2. In USB section, swith it to Modem, then switch it back to PDA

3. Exit, and USB should work.

I think for some reason it stars working as USB Modem, because dmesg are same as when I manually switch it to Modem and leave it there. However, on PhoneUtil it doesn't show as Modem, it just behaves like one. Still, it can be forced back to normal PDA mode. Go figure.
17th October 2010, 12:18 PM |#522  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hey does anyone know if android 2.2 is available for gt i5800 and if it is how do i update my device??
17th October 2010, 01:03 PM |#523  

More
possible fix for battery draining fast
Hi everyone,

I have a i5801 branded from Optimus (Portuguese carrier) and with the stock firmware it was impossible to root.
I then updated to the Fixed I5800XXJI2 Firmware in the #2 post, and all went good, including the rooting.
After some days of using and tweaking the phone, everything was doing fine.
But all of a sudden, the battery started draining fast.
I thought what I did before this happened, and I realized. I disabled the visual effects of the UI, and everything came back to normal.
So I guess that the visual effects of the TouchWiz are buggy in this version.
So right now, everything is perfect with this firmware (root, livewallpapers, battery, etc.).
See if this works with you also.
17th October 2010, 01:46 PM |#524  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:

@amon59
Good explanation and will be helpful to many. Please put details about ' how to prepare ODIN'. Remember this is for beginners. Good one.

Even I am waiting for some good efficient custom ROM.

Sent from my GT-I5801 using XDA App

Well, everything about Odin is perfectly described in the first post of the topic, which I gave a link to. I only added details about things that were not fully described.

I forgot something ; sometimes, the phone puts itself in USB Modem mode and I'm not able to revert it. You can do an hard reset to revert it (but you lose your data) or you can reboot the phone in recovery mode (same thing that when you root your phone ; press Home + Menu + Volume + Power to start the phone (probably Volume down + Volume up, not sure, try different combinations)) and decide to reboot the phone, one of the options that you can select in recovery mode (don't forget that this applies only with flashed firmware, if you keep Orange's one, you can only do a factory reset). This fixes the USB problem (even if it can occur again). A normal reboot fixes nothing, you have to use Recovery mode to fix it, even if you simply use it to reboot the phone.

However, a few posts ago...
Quote:

1. Dial *#7284#. This should open app called PhoneUtil (there are other ways to get to it)

2. In USB section, swith it to Modem, then switch it back to PDA

3. Exit, and USB should work.

I'll try this if the problem occurs again, it'd be faster than a reboot. I'm also using AdbWireless and it works well without any USB connection.

Oh, and I tried the GPS outdoors. It is incredibly slow when you rebooted the phone, I got a fix only after several minutes, but once locked to a GPS signal, you can disable GPS/Wifi/3G/Anything or shut down the screen (not the phone), when you enable everything back, you get located very quickly. I wonder if there's a way to improve first fix delay though.

I've been told that task killers were completely useless and not productive, this was said in this topic too. So I removed my task killer and installed Watchdog.

I installed Swapper 2 to use a linux-swap on my SD card (I formated it with Gparted), it works (even if no one can tell if swapping is useful on Android devices).

I'd be interested in overclocking too. I know you can do it only with a custom ROM because it's a very low level change...I'm using SetCPU to underclock my device when needed and it works fine (I strongly advise you to buy this app, so you can slow down your CPU while screen is off and/or battery is low), it'd be better with some overclock when needed, though.

Now I will try Live Wallpapers. No reason for them not to work though, as some of you said they were working.
17th October 2010, 03:26 PM |#525  

More
Live wallpapers don't seem to work.

I've put needed files in /system/app and /system/lib without any problem, but there's still no "Live wallpapers" choice when I want to choose a wallpaper after a reboot...
17th October 2010, 04:07 PM |#526  
Flag chennai
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianlucuta

maybe a processor overclock should help... there is such an application.

a problem with texture has nothing to do with processor
17th October 2010, 04:09 PM |#527  
Flag chennai
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibeesh619

Does anyone know if we can use NANDROID BACKUP on i5800 ?

If any one has done, plz upload the installation instructions and other precautions...
Thanks in Advance ! :D

Also any info on OVERCLOCKING n METAMORPH are welcome

I ve tried metamorph had success with replacing framework of elegance theme....

Do not use ninjamorph it made me to flash my mobile.........
17th October 2010, 04:30 PM |#528  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ano59

Oh, and I tried the GPS outdoors. It is incredibly slow when you rebooted the phone, I got a fix only after several minutes, but once locked to a GPS signal, you can disable GPS/Wifi/3G/Anything or shut down the screen (not the phone), when you enable everything back, you get located very quickly. I wonder if there's a way to improve first fix delay though.

I've been told that task killers were completely useless and not productive, this was said in this topic too. So I removed my task killer and installed Watchdog.

Hi,

Tasks killers are absolutely useless, you are right. As someone from the net pointed out (see my post 2/3 pages above), the problem is not with task killers themselves, but with applications which behave badly (frequent 3G connections, whereas some date could be cached, adware applications, applications preventing the device from sleeping [wake locks not released, that was the case this summer with a poorly coded Facebook update]).

So, uninstall / stop using any bad application ; By doing so, you won't ever need any task killer. My Teos-i5800 battery longs 2 to 3 days, compared to just 2 days some weeks ago, when I used to launch many apps, some of them sponsored with ads... I noticed that even when the application was not visible, its ads were fetched from the net (thanks to a background service), resulting from frequent 3G connections, and a device not be able to enter sleep state.

Again, task killers are useless provided all applications on the device have been conceived properly. But with the android market, it's quite easy to download free applications ; many of these applications are poorly programmed, and sometimes their creators don't have a good knowledge of the android platform, so that the apps they create are not respectful to the mobile device context : low memory, slow CPU, battery powered device, network usage, etc.

For the GPS issue, a user named "octy" (search for its posts here) has created an small application which patch the GPS settings so that the fix is done in several seconds. It really works great ! (without using this trick, you would have to dial a secret code to invoke the GpsStatus2 activity and manually enter some settings related to the Assisted GPS). Search "octy gpsopt" on the market, you should find the app.
17th October 2010, 04:31 PM |#529  
Thanks Meter: 310

More
@jup007
Thank you so much for tip. I will try and report back. Thanks.

@amo59
For Live Wallpaper you need to run those commands in terminal emulator.
For GPS use GPSopt from Octy. It works.

Btw, froyo for Galaxy S is launched and is available through kies. Check gsmarena.

Sent from my GT-I5801 using XDA App
17th October 2010, 05:04 PM |#530  

More
Why nobody use the I5800XWJI4 version ? It's the last one. Is it too much bugged ?
There are gps buggs and not wanted restarts with the last version but it seems to be normal.
17th October 2010, 07:23 PM |#531  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp63.1

[...]For the GPS issue, a user named "octy" (search for its posts here) has created an small application which patch the GPS settings so that the fix is done in several seconds. It really works great ! (without using this trick, you would have to dial a secret code to invoke the GpsStatus2 activity and manually enter some settings related to the Assisted GPS). Search "octy gpsopt" on the market, you should find the app.

I already got GPS booster lite from octy. The GPS still takes a while to get a fix the first time.
Quote:

[...]@amo59
For Live Wallpaper you need to run those commands in terminal emulator.[...]

Thanks, Live Wallpapers work fine now.
Quote:

[...]Btw, froyo for Galaxy S is launched and is available through kies. Check gsmarena.[...]

But there's nothing for I5800/I5801 now, right ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
froyo, galaxy, i5800, i5801, live wallpapers, root, samsung

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)