OEM/Verizon Kickstand Case! (With matching pouch suggestion)

Search This thread

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
No separate thread on this case so I figured i'd make one, as IMHO it's the best out there for our device, and also the best solution to the slippery battery door issue. Here's my mini review:

The Kickstand case, I got from eBay, for $11 shipped w/ tax (just search for "fascinate kickstand"), which is half off the in store price you'll find. The case has a slight rubberized / soft touch finish, and has a grip pattern in it, which makes it much easier to hold onto. It's quite thin, except for a bump caused by the kickstand, which is leveled so the phone lays flat, by some "feet" on the back. That slight bump I actually like, because I can easily tell which way the phone is oriented in my hand without looking at it. It provides nice protection to the sides and corners and back, so I think it will provide added drop protection. It fits very tight, I wouldn't expect it to come off ever. What I really like, is that it barely protrudes above the front of the phone at all, it adds a very slight lip at the sides, and that's it. This keeps the phone quite flat/thin still and doesn't change how you'd interact with the screen at all. The slight lip should help protect the screen too. All the cutouts are excellent in positioning, and provide nice "cover" for the side buttons against accidental actuation.

Probably the nicest thing of all which I didn't expect, is that the Kickstand works in both Portrait with the phone vertical, and horizontal in landscape, due to the way they positioned the kickstand on the back. It works great - this takes care of one of the things I missed from my Touch Pro2 (the tilting screen). It also has a tensioner, which allows you to tweak the angle in horizontal/landscape a bit because it's "stiff". For the $11 I paid for it, it's worth every penny and seems quite solid/well engineered for the price.

Only downside I see is that it's a bit tougher to take the battery out of course.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
Also, I missed the idea of using this with a holster, but found a decent universal horizontal belt pouch case that fits nice with even this kickstand case on. This auction is just one seller, there are many instances of this exact same case on ebay listed under multiple names:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270648647873
Just look for "carbon droid x pouch" or "carbon galaxy pouch" etc etc, to find one. The brand name is "Luxmo" on the package, the model is "LPHTCHD2CF1HBK". It says it's a "Leather Pouch for Google Nexus 1 / HTC HD2".

They're all the same case/pouch. What I like about this is you can use it with the belt hook for easy removal, OR use the belt loops for a more permanent one - it has magnetic closure, fits the kickstand case well, sits nicely on my belt, has good cushioning. It's easy to remove the phone using the hole in the bottom, just push up on it and the phone pops out. I also like the "carbon fiber look" it has, looks just like my holster belt I wear this on. There are plain leather versions just like this as well, that I'm sure are made the same way / fit the same.

ben1284

Sep 27, 2010
I use this case as well. Being an employee ive tried every case we sell and this is by far the best looking one and adds very minimal bulk to the phone. I love it!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Florynce

Aug 29, 2010
I also have this case and it is by far the best one I've tried on. The kickstand is really nice.

Yossarian09

Oct 3, 2010
The OEM kickstand case seems to have a bad design IMO. The reason I say this is when you watch a movie the volume rocker is at the bottom and not easily accessible. Watching video is the point of the kickstand so why hide the volume controls at the bottom? This was the first thing I noticed when I saw the case at Verizon.

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
The OEM kickstand case seems to have a bad design IMO. The reason I say this is when you watch a movie the volume rocker is at the bottom and not easily accessible. Watching video is the point of the kickstand so why hide the volume controls at the bottom? This was the first thing I noticed when I saw the case at Verizon.

Um, that's more a fault of the design of the phone itself. I sorta agree, except Samsung shoulda put the volume should on the right side of the phone, and the power at the top. The normal rotation for landscape is counter clockwise, so the speaker is at the left, and the soft buttons on the right. This is because most are right handed so they're likely to want to use the soft buttons with their right thumb.

So it's no fault of the case that when the phone is rotated normally, the volume rocker is at the bottom. Not like that's a big deal ... just pick it up and change the volume lol.

Also this kickstand works when the phone is vertical/portrait, so it's one of the best kickstand designs I've seen for any phone, as many phone's built in kickstands or kickstand cases, only work in landscape/horizontal.

theraptscallion

Feb 7, 2009
I third the rec for this case. Its much better than the hard silicone version I tried first, and it allows me to use the phone as a much more useful media screen when on my nighstand or plugged in on my desk at work.

suppliesidejesus

Apr 1, 2010
Just ordered the Verizon one yesterday (thank you, 35% accessory discount) and should have it tomorrow or Wednesday. By the looks of it, I'm going to like it.

mebizzle

Sep 10, 2010
I've had this case since day 1, yeah it sucks about the volume being covered in horizontal but it's an awesome case, and I don't want to change it at all (I've changed cases roughly every month with my other phones)

mailaliasgar

Nov 16, 2006
Logan
I can vouch for the kickstand case too. Without the case, my phone felt flimsy and I was afraid I'll drop it any moment. Now it feels much more solid and comfortable.

On an aside note, do NOT get the screen protectors from Verizon. They suck.

aloa64

May 7, 2009
nice

got this case based on your guys' recommendations and it's pretty sweet. It's not that grippy silicone that sticks in your pocket. It's got like a nice matte finish and feels pretty solid. Also, the edges don't rise up too high like other cases do so it doesn't get in the way when you're using the touchscreen.

TheBadBen

Mar 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
Yeah. VZW(or whoever they get it from) really got this one right. Not to big, but it does add some substance. Good grip, but not sticky. Protects the phone, but doesn't hide the lines.

A+

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Buji

Jan 9, 2007
I notice that it has pretty substantial cut outs at the top of the phone, any idea if this case is car or desk dock friendly by chance?

Merman1983

Jul 23, 2007
Electric Ladyland
I picked one of these up based on this thread and I am happy I did. Very nice fit. Feels good and grippy in the hand - kickstand is a bonus. Great on my desk and nightstand.

Wouldn't change a thing.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Dizfunky

Nov 30, 2010
I'm asking for this for the holidays. I've heard nothing but great things about it. I currently have the OEM silicone case, and it's nothing special.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It will not work in the OEM Samsung car dock or desk dock. No case made now or ever could do this, both require the phone depth and width to be absolutely unchanged.

The case should not be flush with the phone, the case corners wrap over the face of the phone, and as such if you set the phone face down, the screen will NOT be flat on the table, only the 4 corners of the case would be touching... the screen would be about 1/32" off the table.

I've been using this case for a couple months and love that it does not make the phone big and bulky, yet it offers a great amount of protection and the utility built into the kickstand is something that I could not imagine giving up. To me, this case along with some form of screen cover (Zagg is on mine) is the ultimate normal duty set up.

Sure, if your going to throw your phone face-first into the corner of your desk, drop it 3 stories, or drop it in a swimming pool... you may be the guy that should buy an Otter Box. For me, I hate the Otter Box,way too big. I like a thin and sleek phone, and with this case, you can have decent armor in a very attractive package.

Pictures:
    100_0103.jpg

100_0104.jpg

100_0106.jpg

100_0108.jpg

100_0110.jpg

100_0111.jpg

100_0116.jpg

100_0115.jpg

100_0114.jpg