Post Reply Email Thread
26th October 2010, 07:49 PM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobit

Some other things I found -

CTRL-ALT-DELETE & CTRL-ALT-BKSPC both reboot the device

Yes, I saw this in the kernel source, but it is not enabled in the Sony.

drivers/char/cad.c:

Code:
/*
 * Ctrl-Alt-Del input handler
 * Copyright (C) 2010 Google, Inc.
 * Author: Eugene Surovegin <[email protected]>
 * based on keyboard.c
 * This software is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public
 * License version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation, and
 * may be copied, distributed, and modified under those terms.
 */

config CAD_HANDLER
       bool "Ctrl-Alt-Del input handler"
       depends !VT
       default y
       ---help---
         Say Y here if you want Ctrl-Alt-Del to work without full
         "Virtual Terminal" support.
config CAD_HANDLER_BACKSPACE
       bool "Allow the use of Backspace key instead of Delete"
       depends CAD_HANDLER
       ---help---
         Say Y if you want to use Backspace key instead of Delete.
         This is required for keyboards lacking Delete key.
I'm investigating the serial console angle on the UART1 header, but so far no luck.
26th October 2010, 09:54 PM |#72  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 6

More
watching this thread, i have the Logitech Revue and am willing to lend a hand!
26th October 2010, 10:32 PM |#73  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzmanic

watching this thread, i have the Logitech Revue and am willing to lend a hand!

There's lots of stuff you can try without too much risk. I've noticed based on the CTRL-ALT-DEL using both a USB and the wireless keyboard, that the keyboard becomes "active" and can reboot the system while the Logitech screen from the bootloader is still active. I guess that means that the kernel has booted.

Anyway, been trying holding down keys during boot to see if I can get into recovery that way. No luck yet, tried all the phone tricks like holding Vol-Up and DPAD-UP, but nothing seems to work yet.

I also tried holding down F-keys, ESC, DEL, etc. to see if I can get into the bootloader but no success on that either.
The Following User Says Thank You to hharte For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hharte Ad-Free
27th October 2010, 01:55 AM |#74  
Flag Rhode Island
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharte

Yes, I saw this in the kernel source, but it is not enabled in the Sony.

I have the Sony blu-ray Google TV unit and just tried the Ctrl, Alt, backspace and it rebooted my device!

Anyone with a Sony know how to power on/off the cable box? I can control all
other cable/DVR functions and can power on/off my TV, AMP, and Google TV. Just not my cable box. Please tell me Sony didn't over look this and I still need to use my cable remote...
27th October 2010, 03:17 AM |#75  
OP Member
Flag Cambridge MA
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soner607

I have the Sony blu-ray Google TV unit and just tried the Ctrl, Alt, backspace and it rebooted my device!

Anyone with a Sony know how to power on/off the cable box? I can control all
other cable/DVR functions and can power on/off my TV, AMP, and Google TV. Just not my cable box. Please tell me Sony didn't over look this and I still need to use my cable remote...

Yep, CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE also reboots my Sony...and I have been having the same issue with FiOS and turning off my cable box.

I am saving up some money to buy another Sony GTV box to capture the update.zip
27th October 2010, 05:49 AM |#76  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Wow...
Does nobody follow XDA anymore??? This thread is moving mighty slow! I know the Android/XDA community is HUGE! What is the problem? LOL. Get to it!!!

If anyone has any bright ideas or even GUESSES, let me know and I will look into it!!!
27th October 2010, 06:54 AM |#77  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyfan

Does nobody follow XDA anymore??? This thread is moving mighty slow! I know the Android/XDA community is HUGE! What is the problem? LOL. Get to it!!!

If anyone has any bright ideas or even GUESSES, let me know and I will look into it!!!

patience man...

If someone figured out how to get ADB working, I have already re-compiled rageagainstthecage for the atom. However, as hharte said already, it seems like there is no adbd running and possibly entirely missing from the system. I have a feeling this was done on purpose because it becomes that much more difficult to install stuff on the device. If adb was enabled, even without root, we could possibly start working toward app installs, etc on the device, and obviously Google does not think that app install is ready for prime time even through a backdoor mechanism.
27th October 2010, 07:51 AM |#78  

More
Sony GTV getting another OTA
I plugged my Sony box back in tonight, and it says another OTA has been downloaded and is ready to install (206MB). I hit "later" on the install dialog, but since the OTA is already saved on the unit, I'll do a factory reset from Recovery and hopefully it will download again. Unfortunately, I dont have my laptop with me tonight, so will try the Wireshark sniffer capture tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.
27th October 2010, 08:44 AM |#79  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 5,194

More
[edit]Based on the 206MB number noted by hharte, the NSZ-GT1 (Bluray box) and the NSX-46GT1 get different updates.[/edit]

2nd Sony OTA for NSX-46GT1 (Sony Google TV 46"):

http://android.clients.google.com/pa...01ON_asura.zip
Settings > System Updates says
  • The quality of operations on Google Chrome has been improved
  • The quality of operation on Sony Recommends and Qriocity has been improved

223MB hopefully has something more interesting in there.

Also it seems the Bluray box doesn't have one of the ports that the TV has (or at least the 46" has)

Ports:

Closeup of interesting port (You have to pop off a plastic cover)

27th October 2010, 09:00 AM |#80  
Thanks Meter: 1,049

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharte

Looking at the boot.img and recovery.img in the update.zip, they don't seem to follow the same pattern as the Android .img files.

FYI

I dl'ed the (Revue) .zip from the URL twobit posted - the "boot.img" file is in (little-endian) "squashfs" format and unpacks just fine using "unsquashfs" from the (Ubuntu 8.0.04 LTS) squashfs-tools package.

No adbd in sbin/ even though the service is defined - but disabled - in init.rc

Not sure if you folks already knew this - I couldn't intuit that from reading between the lines.

cheers

bftb0

[ Edit ] It appears that the system/boot/recovery.img is packed with the second half also being "squashfs".

You can search for the occurence of the beginning of the squashfs archive with the command

hexdump -C system/boot/recovery.img | grep hsqs

and then do a little math to figure out how to dump that portion of the recovery image, e.g.:

dd if=system/boot/recovery.img bs=128 skip=15531 > recovery-squashfs.img

and then unpack that file using unsquashfs.

Sort of a mystery why "boot.img" would be in a different format from "recovery.img", though.
27th October 2010, 09:10 AM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobit

patience man...

If someone figured out how to get ADB working, I have already re-compiled rageagainstthecage for the atom.

Why do you think that hack would work? Google TV was released *after* it was made public...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)