By SteelH, Senior Member on 11th September 2010, 03:31 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
28th October 2010, 08:41 PM |#101  
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsChiSurf

I think it's a moot point. While you can already remove the carrier text on either CM or Sense ROMs w/ options out there, you can't (shouldn't) remove the 'clear' button, which takes up the same amount of vertical space, regardless of the presence of the carrier text or not.

Personally, I'd give up the 'Clear' button for more space for notifications (you can dismiss notifications individually). On that same note, I wouldn't remove my clock or battery, but mods exist for those so that people have options. And options are good!

I was just suggesting that this might be an easy mod to figure out by those with the know-how, and some people might find it useful.

28th October 2010, 08:44 PM |#102  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Hacksville
Thanks Meter: 1,403

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xak944

I was just suggesting that this might be an easy mod to figure out by those with the know-how, and some people might find it useful.

Wasn't trying to dismiss your idea, just wanted to be sure you thought about the fact that you would likely be removing the clear button as well, since, when there is nothing to clear, it's not an issue, since it's not present.

It is an easy mod to make happen, and I'm just one person, but I'm thinking demand would be pretty low...
29th October 2010, 03:41 PM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 449

More
Very useful thread. Thank you for sharing, SteelH, xak944, ydnandy, and others.

Going to give this a try this weekend.

It would be great if someone can find a way to get the data connection to properly display 3G/EVDO vs. 1xRTT. (I know it is not the scope of this thread).

Cheers.
29th October 2010, 03:46 PM |#104  
Flag North Carolina

More
Quote:

Wasn't trying to dismiss your idea, just wanted to be sure you thought about the fact that you would likely be removing the clear button as well, since, when there is nothing to clear, it's not an issue, since it's not present.

Indeed, I hadn't considered losing the 'Clear' button as thoroughly as I should have prior to reading your post. However, after thinking about it, I believe I could live without it.
29th October 2010, 11:27 PM |#105  
Hacksville

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xak944

Indeed, I hadn't considered losing the 'Clear' button as thoroughly as I should have prior to reading your post. However, after thinking about it, I believe I could live without it.

Here's a proof of concept. I played with moving the 'clear' button to the bottom, in order to keep it present, but the space is always going to be there for the button (at least if doing simple XML edits, as opposed to smali hacking), even when the button is not displayed, which I think defeats the purpose you were looking for, i.e. to obtain more space for notifications, etc.

So, the screen capture below is an example of removing the 'clear' button all together, meaning to dismiss 'Notifications' you'd have to actually visit the specific notification to clear out the ultimate reason for its presence, i.e. delete / read the text message, email, etc.

Bottom line, there's a bunch of stuff you could do, based on personal preference. And, such edits are going to be ROM specific, especially Sense vs. CM.

30th October 2010, 09:17 PM |#106  

More
Feeling a bit dumb, and asking for help:

The services.jar file I pulled from the phone is 345 bytes. I confirmed the file size using Root Explorer on my phone.

When I open it with WinRAR (or the native Windows .zip extractor), all I see is a directory named META-INF. Under it it, a single file MANIFEST.MF, 71 bytes. Nothing else.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
30th October 2010, 09:26 PM |#107  
Hacksville

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman

Feeling a bit dumb, and asking for help:

The services.jar file I pulled from the phone is 345 bytes. I confirmed the file size using Root Explorer on my phone.

When I open it with WinRAR (or the native Windows .zip extractor), all I see is a directory named META-INF. Under it it, a single file MANIFEST.MF, 71 bytes. Nothing else.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Sounds like you're running a stock, non-deodexed ROM, which means you are unable to utilize these mods.
30th October 2010, 10:20 PM |#108  

More
Quote:

Sounds like you're running a stock, non-deodexed ROM, which means you are unable to utilize these mods.

Oh..., and duh. Indeed I'm running the stock non-deodexed ROM. I just went and read about deodexing. Thanks you.
3rd November 2010, 12:54 AM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Has anyone else lost the sync icon after removing the GPS in the lastest services.jar from 3.30.651.2?
3rd November 2010, 04:24 PM |#110  
Flag North Carolina

More
Quote:

Here's a proof of concept. I played with moving the 'clear' button to the bottom, in order to keep it present, but the space is always going to be there for the button (at least if doing simple XML edits, as opposed to smali hacking), even when the button is not displayed, which I think defeats the purpose you were looking for, i.e. to obtain more space for notifications, etc.

Great, I'd love to give it a shot. Would you mind sharing the XML edits you did to accomplish this? Thanks!
4th November 2010, 06:35 PM |#111  
Flag Tulsa, OK
Thanks Meter: 762

Donate to Me
More
knock, knock...

Hi guys, hope you don't mind an N1 user popping in for a question.

I don't know if you could offer any help or not for what I'm trying to do. This thread consistently came up in my various searches and you're definitely making edits in the same area I'm trying to. I just checked, and it looks like miui has landed here, too so maybe you're familiar. I'm trying to hide % textView overlay for the battery. Just the text output, not the battery icon.

I'm not learned in smali (or java for that matter) so I'm starting off severely handicapped as it is...but I've been reading/searching, and I *think* this is the area where I need to edit. I'm not entirely sure, though, as their battery implementation is quite different. My thinking is to make the text transparent, that way I keep the slot it occupies as it. Do you think that's a valid approach?

As expected, the edit in the op works fine for hiding the battery, but as you know, I lose the slot. One thing I did notice was while the setIconVisibility edit hid the battery entirely, if you go into settings and switch battery types, it no longer has any effect and all battery versions return.

If you have some hints or other help, it's much appreciated. If not, that's OK and I understand. Don't know if it helps, but I've attached the StatusBarPolicy, and IconData files.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip smali.zip - [Click for QR Code] (24.2 KB, 7 views)
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, hide, icon, remove icons, reticle, status, status bar
Previous Thread Next Thread