[APP] Windows: Create Your Own Data.img Maker Application, +/- From Existing data.img

Search This thread

Viper Matrix Wireless

Dec 17, 2008
Bellevue, WA (Headquarters)
You NO larger need GParted or a Linux/Unix distro in order to make your own data.img! You NO longer need a command prompt either. However, you can use the command prompt still as an alternative option since this supports the commands in Windows. But this is an application.

With this Application you can create a brand NEW data.img or Add/Subtract space from an existing data.img. Example: You can take a 256MB data.img & make it convert to a 1GB data.img or take a 1GB data.img & make it 256MB data.img. Maximum space possible shown is based on the HDD or SD space left. So you could create a 150GB data.img if the drive had 150GB free space. It is completely safe & wont do anything to damage an existing data.img.

You will need WinRar or 7zip to extract the .RAR for this download.

WARNING!: DO NOT MAKE YOUR DATA.IMG Larger than 2GB because Android will not recognize the SD Card after. I will test this later.

1024 = 1GB
2048 = 2GB
4096 = 4GB
8192 = 8GB
Just double the #!

Screenshot:

2euk6e1.png

How to make a NEW(Fresh) Data.img:

NOTE: In order to start NEW you must have wiped your SD card or removed every file or folder such as: .REC, Cache, Android, OLD Data.img & any apps that took a folder on the card.

1. Open TopoResize
2. Select "Create New"
3. Select Save destination such as the SD Card & name it data
4. Select "Create File"
5. Select ext2 or ext3
6. Hit Ok & it will autorun.
DONE!

How to add space to an existing Data.img:

1. Open TopoResize
2. Select "Find File"
3. Locate file & select it
4. Use the size slider to select the extra space
5. Select "Resize File"
6. It will autorun
DONE!

How to subtract space to an existing Data.img:

Same instructions apply to add space just use the slider to go down & select resize file.

How to read the system.ext2 & transfer it over to the desktop:

1. Open Ext2explore
2. Select File & Open Image
3. Goto the system.ext2 & select it
4. Select Save
5. Select a destination to save it to. (Save it to a folder is preferred, so make one.)

INSTRUCTIONS TO CREATE A NEW or MODIFY EXISTING DATA.IMG via Command Prompt:

1. Open Command Prompt
2. Goto the directory of Data.img Maker
3. Enter dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=XXX >> data.img (XXX = Amount of Space for NEW such as 256MB is 256. Also if file is 256 already add 256 to make modified data.img = 512MB)
Alternative method! Instead of dd. You can use the following (only for new data.img):
Enter tfile data.img XXX (XXX = Size of MB ex. 1024 = 1GB. For new data.img only)
Alternative method! Instead of dd. You can use the following (only for modify data.img):
Enter Resize2fs -p data.img XXXXXX (1024*512MB=524288, always use 1024 times amount of space like 1024MB=1GB, so 1024*1024MB=1048576 for modify data.img only, can skip dd & just run this command for modify!)
4. Enter Mke2fs data.img (This will actually partition it so it doesnt come out as a bad read, MODIFY DATA IMAGE DOES NOT APPLY TO THIS STEP!)
5. Enter Resize2fs -f data.img (This will resize it for MODIFY ONLY! NOTE: can skip if you did the alternative method for existing!)
6. Enter E2fsck -f data.img (This checks to make everything is correct)
DONE!

Creating NEW Example:

d:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=512 >> dat
a.img
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.6beta3.
Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>
This program is covered by terms of the GPL Version 2.

512+0 records in
512+0 records out

d:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>mke2fs data.img
mke2fs 1.40.6 (09-Feb-2008)
data.img is not a block special device.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
131072 inodes, 524288 blocks
26214 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Maximum filesystem blocks=67633152
64 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2048 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185, 401409

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 25 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

d:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>e2fsck -f data.img
e2fsck 1.40.6 (09-Feb-2008)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
data.img: 11/131072 files (9.1% non-contiguous), 18858/524288 blocks

Alternative examples:

Using tfile to create fresh data.img instead:
D:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>tfile data.img 512
data.img
sizeMB= 512

Using resize2fs only to resize w/o anything else:

D:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>resize2fs -p data.img 524288
resize2fs 1.40.6 (09-Feb-2008)
Resizing the filesystem on data.img to 524288 (1k) blocks.
Begin pass 1 (max = 30)
Extending the inode table XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
The filesystem on data.img is now 524288 blocks long.

Download HERE! (Alternate)

NEED HELP? Comment here.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmhome1

Jun 27, 2010
Rochester
Yeah, really appreciated! Downloaded and will try out and report back (expanding standard 256MB data .img months old to 512MB or 1GB).

outerdepth

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 13, 2008
Memphis
Nice App

I tried this out a few days ago to see how easy it was to use and how well. It was surprisingly simple. Good app. Worked like a charm.

Bieka

OK. First of all a big thanks Viper.

But -yes it IS a stupid question but i don't get it ;)- what does this application do beside from making a data.img with various sizes. I use android now for -i think it is- a long(er) time and just want to know what i can do to explore the System ;).

Cheers Bieka

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
But -yes it IS a stupid question but i don't get it ;)- what does this application do beside from making a data.img with various sizes. I use android now for -i think it is- a long(er) time and just want to know what i can do to explore the System ;).

That's all it does... Other questions? :p

Jandyman

Aug 5, 2010

Uhm am i kickin' myself out if i ask what this (making various sizes of a data.img file) means?! ;) Is this the storage size android get?

You kno the way if you had an android device you would have sd storage and phone storage? and phone storage would be used for apps? well this data.img is lik a virtual phone memory, When you install apps they are stored on the data.img. And for alot of of ppl 256mb isnt enough, but unlike physical harware phone memory the data.img can be made bigger. understand?

Also a big tanks viper matrix, i was looking for a way to do this a couple weeks ago, i got it sorted by using someones modified rootfs to create a new data.img but this application will probly still come in handy :)

Reactions: gonka95

bmhome1

Jun 27, 2010
Rochester
Worked GREAT expanding trusty months-old data.img from nearly filled up 256MB to glorious 1GB. Now Android reports memory is over 990MB!

Dead simple: run the .bat, point to data.img on SD, move slider to expand size and go. Recognized errors, corrected them, then set to it's task which took a few minutes. Done.

Superb tool, waaay too unknown to group.

Reactions: guacanagaric509

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
@Viper

Excellent work on these apps! I was easily able to resize my data.img. I also tried ext2explore, which works well extract items from a system.ext2. A few questions:

- Would it be possible to have the data.img resizer use standard sizes, like 524288 for 512MB, 786432 for 768MB, 1048576 for 1GB (I think you get the idea). It seems like the resizing sizes are a bit arbitrary - or is there some sort of correlation between the standard sizes and the ones selectable in the app? Or, is there a way to put these values in manually?

- In the ext2explore app, will the possibly to Copy/Cut/Paste ever be added (or drag & drop from Explorer)?

I would love to see these apps developed further :).

Again, great work!

P.S. I was hoping to be able to use ext2explore to add the BLAZN theme to the FRX03 build (see this thread) - that's when I realized I couldn't copy/paste.

d0nate110

Oct 17, 2010
Freies Königreich Bayern
You NO larger need GParted or a Linux/Unix distro in order to make your own data.img! You NO longer need a command prompt either. However, you can use the command prompt still as an alternative option since this supports the commands in Windows. But this is an application.

With this Application you can create a brand NEW data.img or Add/Subtract space from an existing data.img. Example: You can take a 256MB data.img & make it convert to a 1GB data.img or take a 1GB data.img & make it 256MB data.img. Maximum space possible shown is based on the HDD or SD space left. So you could create a 150GB data.img if the drive had 150GB free space. It is completely safe & wont do anything to damage an existing data.img.

WARNING!: THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED, DO NOT MAKE YOUR DATA.IMG Larger than 2GB because Android may not recognize the SD Card after. I will test this later.

1024 = 1GB
2048 = 2GB
4096 = 4GB
8192 = 8GB
Just double the #!

Screenshot:

2euk6e1.png

NOTE: In order to start NEW you must have wiped your SD card or removed every file or folder such as: .REC, Cache, Android, OLD Data.img & any apps that took a folder on the card.

1. Open TopoResize
2. Select "Create New"
4. Select "Create File"
5. Select ext2 or ext3
DONE!

1. Open TopoResize
2. Select "Find File"
5. Select "Resize File"
6. It will autorun
DONE!

Same instructions apply to add space just use the slider to go down & select resize file.

1. Open Ext2explore
4. Select Save
5. Select a destination to save it to. (Save it to a folder is preferred, so make one.)

Download HERE!

NEED HELP? Comment here.

Or you just install linux and make that all with one or two mouse clicks by your self :)

mulletcutter

Jun 6, 2010
GA
OnePlus 9 Pro
You kno the way if you had an android device you would have sd storage and phone storage? and phone storage would be used for apps? well this data.img is lik a virtual phone memory, When you install apps they are stored on the data.img. And for alot of of ppl 256mb isnt enough, but unlike physical harware phone memory the data.img can be made bigger. understand?

Also a big tanks viper matrix, i was looking for a way to do this a couple weeks ago, i got it sorted by using someones modified rootfs to create a new data.img but this application will probly still come in handy :)

making sure I understand, under sd card in settings....phone free space, this is what it does...makes that free space bigger? more storage.?

agentfazexx

Aug 10, 2010
Maryland, USA
Resized the img file from 512MB to 2 gigs, but I'm using the HD2 Nexus ROM, and it doesn't report the correct disk space usage. It still shows like 65MB free as it did before resizing. The file resized properly, but the phone doesn't report that.

Normal? If not, did I do something wrong? I followed the directions...

Reactions: dj01sipa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WARNING!: DO NOT MAKE YOUR DATA.IMG Larger than 2GB because Android will not recognize the SD Card after. I will test this later.

1024 = 1GB
    2048 = 2GB
    4096 = 4GB
    8192 = 8GB
    Just double the #!

Screenshot:

2euk6e1.png

1. Open TopoResize
    2. Select "Create New"
    4. Select "Create File"
    5. Select ext2 or ext3
    DONE!

1. Open TopoResize
    2. Select "Find File"
    5. Select "Resize File"
    6. It will autorun
    DONE!

1. Open Ext2explore
    4. Select Save

INSTRUCTIONS TO CREATE A NEW or MODIFY EXISTING DATA.IMG via Command Prompt:

1. Open Command Prompt
    2. Goto the directory of Data.img Maker
    3. Enter dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=XXX >> data.img (XXX = Amount of Space for NEW such as 256MB is 256. Also if file is 256 already add 256 to make modified data.img = 512MB)
    Alternative method! Instead of dd. You can use the following (only for new data.img):
    Enter tfile data.img XXX (XXX = Size of MB ex. 1024 = 1GB. For new data.img only)
    Alternative method! Instead of dd. You can use the following (only for modify data.img):
    Enter Resize2fs -p data.img XXXXXX (1024*512MB=524288, always use 1024 times amount of space like 1024MB=1GB, so 1024*1024MB=1048576 for modify data.img only, can skip dd & just run this command for modify!)
    4. Enter Mke2fs data.img (This will actually partition it so it doesnt come out as a bad read, MODIFY DATA IMAGE DOES NOT APPLY TO THIS STEP!)
    5. Enter Resize2fs -f data.img (This will resize it for MODIFY ONLY! NOTE: can skip if you did the alternative method for existing!)
    6. Enter E2fsck -f data.img (This checks to make everything is correct)
    DONE!

Creating NEW Example:

d:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=512 >> dat
    a.img
    rawwrite dd for windows version 0.6beta3.
    Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>
    This program is covered by terms of the GPL Version 2.

512+0 records in
    512+0 records out

d:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>mke2fs data.img
    mke2fs 1.40.6 (09-Feb-2008)
    data.img is not a block special device.
    Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=1024 (log=0)
    Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
    131072 inodes, 524288 blocks
    26214 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=1
    Maximum filesystem blocks=67633152
    64 block groups
    8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
    2048 inodes per group
    Superblock backups stored on blocks:
    8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185, 401409

Writing inode tables: done
    Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 25 mounts or
    180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

d:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>e2fsck -f data.img
    e2fsck 1.40.6 (09-Feb-2008)
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information
    data.img: 11/131072 files (9.1% non-contiguous), 18858/524288 blocks

Alternative examples:

Using tfile to create fresh data.img instead:
    D:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>tfile data.img 512
    data.img
    sizeMB= 512

Using resize2fs only to resize w/o anything else:

D:\Software\DATA.IMG Maker\DATA.IMG Maker>resize2fs -p data.img 524288
    resize2fs 1.40.6 (09-Feb-2008)
    Resizing the filesystem on data.img to 524288 (1k) blocks.
    Begin pass 1 (max = 30)
    Extending the inode table XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    The filesystem on data.img is now 524288 blocks long.

Download HERE! (Alternate)

NEED HELP? Comment here.
    The data.img resize app

For those looking for the app, and finding lots of broken links. Here it is, enclosed.

Uhm am i kickin' myself out if i ask what this (making various sizes of a data.img file) means?! ;) Is this the storage size android get?

Worked GREAT expanding trusty months-old data.img from nearly filled up 256MB to glorious 1GB. Now Android reports memory is over 990MB!

Dead simple: run the .bat, point to data.img on SD, move slider to expand size and go. Recognized errors, corrected them, then set to it's task which took a few minutes. Done.

Superb tool, waaay too unknown to group.
    Open ext2explore & goto your system.ext2 & open it & then youll be able to save it to your desktop.