Post Reply Email Thread
5th November 2010, 04:48 PM |#61  
Flag Metuchen, NJ
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict

What you are describing is a dhcp static lease reservation, some ppl do not run dhcp server in their environment

Sent from my bionix powered Vibrant

but a lot of people have your typical cisco/linksys wireless routers, which are set up for DHCP automatically, and can be configured easily for static ip.
5th November 2010, 05:47 PM |#62  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 71

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Ra

but a lot of people have your typical cisco/linksys wireless routers, which are set up for DHCP automatically, and can be configured easily for static ip.

I understand that, and it is good for home use since you can control that, some people have strict IT policies at work and have hidden SSID's (oops did I just hit another WP7 obstacle, sorry) and statically assigned IP's (weird, but true) for their wireless clients, and when you bring your phone with you to work and try connecting to such networks you will be hard pressed with WP7.
I am not saying Android is without issues in the Wi-Fi front - the one and only Wi-Fi proxy support (even though Samsung kinda lift it in their Galaxy S series, but it is so damn awkward); but come on MS, at least implement connectivity to hidden SSID's.
5th November 2010, 05:55 PM |#63  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Question Which of these features are missing in WP7?
Hi all

I am currently using a HTC Touch Pro 2 which I am generally still happy with. I am on the brink of upgrading to a WP7 device and have decided to wait until the HTC 7 Pro comes to the UK market (supposedly before Christmas 2010!).

For me, it's not just about buying a smart phone which has certain capabilities or apps for things you want. I am taking a very broad view of communication and other information technology. As far as I can see, there are two competing options that look good from my point of view.

I have a Windows Live email account which I now use for my primary calendar and contacts store as well as email. I use a Windows 7 PC with MS Outlook and sync this and my HTC Touch Pro 2 to my Windows Live account. I use MS Office for producing/editing other documents and this whole package seems to work very well together. So, option one is simply to replace my HTC Touch Pro 2 with a WP7 device (hopefully the HTC 7 Pro).

The second option for a unified communication & IT solution is to migrate over to Open Source software. Ubuntu 10.10 runs very well on my PC, the HTC Desire Z looks like a good replacement for my HTC Touch Pro 2, Gmail offers almost all the same features as a Windows Live account, Thunderbird runs in Ubuntu and can be set up to sync Gmail email, calendar & contacts and of course there is Google Docs and Open Office for producing documents, etc.

So, my questions about WP7 are aimed at helping me make that decision.

In WM 6.5 when using Windows Live via EAS the following features become disabled:

You can not flag an email for follow up as you can when using a regular Exchange Server email account.

You can only receive email messages as plain text and not formatted in HTML.

Are either of these features addressed in WP7?

Thanks

andrew-in-woking
5th November 2010, 06:32 PM |#64  
Flag Metuchen, NJ
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict

I understand that, and it is good for home use since you can control that, some people have strict IT policies at work and have hidden SSID's (oops did I just hit another WP7 obstacle, sorry) and statically assigned IP's (weird, but true) for their wireless clients, and when you bring your phone with you to work and try connecting to such networks you will be hard pressed with WP7.
I am not saying Android is without issues in the Wi-Fi front - the one and only Wi-Fi proxy support (even though Samsung kinda lift it in their Galaxy S series, but it is so damn awkward); but come on MS, at least implement connectivity to hidden SSID's.

I agree that not being able to connect to hidden SSID's is problematic. But it was stated that in the initial release of WP7 they were concentrating on the consumer market before the enterprise/work market. I am sure that things like this will be remedied in future updates, but right now they are trying to get something that appeals more to the masses before bringing in features like that.
5th November 2010, 06:44 PM |#65  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubnut

I received the following answer on another forum which may go a way to explain some of the issues here.

Gash answer me thinks but an answe none the less

Ahh, I see where the confusion is and why I didn't understand the last response. I use a hosted Exchange solution (www.mail2web.com) so when I was talking about syncing to Outlook, I meant Exchange. I understand why there are issues syncing to Outlook and why that would mean no Tasks as they can't be synced to Hotmail. But from Exchange they *should* be there.

Now I've had a few days to play with the phone I really like the OS and I'm prepared to forgive MS the various missing parts so long as they are committed to regular updates and get these things added eventually.
5th November 2010, 07:46 PM |#66  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Ra

I agree that not being able to connect to hidden SSID's is problematic. But it was stated that in the initial release of WP7 they were concentrating on the consumer market before the enterprise/work market. I am sure that things like this will be remedied in future updates, but right now they are trying to get something that appeals more to the masses before bringing in features like that.

Can't connect to hidden SSIDs? WtF!!! What year is this?
5th November 2010, 08:18 PM |#67  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetvito

Can't connect to hidden SSIDs? WtF!!! What year is this?

Umm.... 2010? The problem's not exactly unique to WP7:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...cast-ssid.html

http://www.htcdesireforum.com/htc-de...-is-broadcast/

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...5cadce1e&hl=en

Unless you were joking, and I missed it?
5th November 2010, 08:56 PM |#68  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 71

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelJharig

Umm.... 2010? The problem's not exactly unique to WP7:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...cast-ssid.html

http://www.htcdesireforum.com/htc-de...-is-broadcast/

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...5cadce1e&hl=en

Unless you were joking, and I missed it?

Besides Wi-Fi proxy connectivity there are no known bugs filed with google regarding Wi-Fi connectivity using different settings, if you look at the posts there if the feature is missing because the provider failed to package it, there are "workarounds" (I know we are all idealist, and workarounds not cutting it).
I connect to my company's hidden WPA2 Enterpise with PEAP wireless network just fine on my phone without the use of any workarounds.
Another notorious Android 2.2 issue is the BT and rSAP protocol missing - a total bummer when you cannot integrated with your car's BT.
5th November 2010, 09:20 PM |#69  
Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetvito

Its BS to consider this a initial offering from MS. If Ford or Chevrolet made a new vehicle, and it lacked cup holders there would be an uproar.

That is a very bad analogy if you were trying to refute his point. Your analogy better suits a situation where WinMo 6 has SMS notifications and WinMo 6.5 didn't.

I still see your point, though I'm not as unimpressed with the new product they've created as you are. I'll wait to see how many new features are in the January update.
5th November 2010, 09:25 PM |#70  
Tampa, FL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrockliffe

Tasks.

Where are they?

Now, I know that Microsoft never really did a good job of Tasks in WM6.5, but they're not there at all in 7! I've tried three third party Apps for this, but non sync to my Exchange Account, where all my Tasks are.

What have MS got against Tasks and how can I manage my life in their absence?

I believe they expect you to use OneNote for your list of Tasks. If it's something with a date, perhaps you'd be better served by entering it into the Calendar (not that I don't think a robust Task solution is a good idea... but this seems to be one of the things they believe third party apps can handle just fine, and I would agree).
5th November 2010, 09:28 PM |#71  
Tampa, FL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by feygor

a *real* GPS program (no bing maps does not count)

Well Bing Maps is a real GPS program.. If you meant voice-guided navigation program, then it will become one in January (like it is on WinMo6) and in the meantime there are plenty of apps from carriers and 3rd parties for this.

You won't see task-switching in January though, they didn't promise that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)