The WP7 TIPS and TRICK'S' Thread

Search This thread

Milky1

Oct 29, 2010
I wish there was a way of making the MS apps on the market place the same colour as your theme, I'm really anal so I wont pin anything to my home screen if it doesn't fit with the theme.

stlewis58

Dec 22, 2008
various tips

1. If you like an alternative search engine to Bing, create a favourite and prefix the name with say ... - then it will appear at the top.
  2. Syncing tasks and notes with a standalone Outlook is not currently possible. Remember The Milk has an Outlook-cloud sync option, and there is a free WP7 app, but RTM caution against using both.
  3. Syncing web favourites with your desktop is not currently possible.
  4. OneNote does a good job of syncing to Windows Live and back to the phone. You may prefer to keep task, notes and even favourites in it!

HTC Mozart

pikacz

Jun 12, 2009

stlewis58

Dec 22, 2008
that's quite normal to me, i've never seen an O2 branded phone :) only vodafone, orange, t-mobile...

can you explain more please cause i don't understand

The standard search button - on the far right of the phone - uses Bing in the appropriate places. If you want to have easy access to say, Google, in the browser, add it as a favourite, editing the name to be "...Google"

Last edited:

markgamber

Apr 1, 2005
I bought a Samsung Focus today. I'm not sure if it'll replace the iPhone 4 or not but I have 30 days to figure it out. Meanwhile, nice thread, thanks!

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
1. Buy a Windows Phone 7 device on launch day

2. Discover you can't connect to either your work or home WiFi networks because they are hidden.

3. Discover you can't install Zune x64 software on your work Vista machine without the installer crashing.

4. Discover that the colours on the Surround are waaaay off, red looks like orange, orange looks like yellow.

5. Discover that you can't read more than 4 email headers without scrolling.

6. Discover there is no way to reduce the text size in the email applications.

7. Discover that you can't use the device as portable storage.

8. Discover that when you do get Zune installed at home, your LiveID from the US won't work while you're in Canada.

9. Discover that the market is driven from the X360 points system, and that your confused country status won't even let you purchase points with a credit card.

10. Discover that the points thing is not really an issue, since there's nothing in the market worth paying for anyway.

11. Discover that your fancy speaker-slider phone with kickstand has no landscape menu system when in the Zune media player.

12. Discover that while the front panel of the HTC Surround is aluminium, it does not survive being hurled at a brick wall in frustration.

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
1. Buy a Windows Phone 7 device on launch day

2. Discover you can't connect to either your work or home WiFi networks because they are hidden.

3. Discover you can't install Zune x64 software on your work Vista machine without the installer crashing.

4. Discover that the colours on the Surround are waaaay off, red looks like orange, orange looks like yellow.

5. Discover that you can't read more than 4 email headers without scrolling.

6. Discover there is no way to reduce the text size in the email applications.

8. Discover that when you do get Zune installed at home, your LiveID from the US won't work while you're in Canada.

9. Discover that the market is driven from the X360 points system, and that your confused country status won't even let you purchase points with a credit card.

10. Discover that the points thing is not really an issue, since there's nothing in the market worth paying for anyway.

11. Discover that your fancy speaker-slider phone with kickstand has no landscape menu system when in the Zune media player.

12. Discover that while the front panel of the HTC Surround is aluminium, it does not survive being hurled at a brick wall in frustration.

this is a tips and tricks thread , Not a "I hate my phone" thread.

Reactions: jessiethe3rd

Silent Shark

Jul 13, 2008

This has been known for quite some time, and if using your phone as a storage device was important to you, something you should have been aware of before you bought it.

It does surprise me how many people buy smartphones with no prior research. I can understand if they have never bought a smartphone before, but if they are moving smartphone platforms, you really need to do your homework to find out if all the things you want to do will be possible on your new device. If you've never bought a smartphone before, then you can't really complain when your phone doesn't do something you probably weren't expecting it to do in the first place.

panflute

Dec 19, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
GREAT phone & OS

If you see all of the reviews on YouTube you will find a variety of opinions. Some of the reviewers have limited imaginations. I like the OS and the phone and it is only going to improve in short order.

Reactions: trimark

Tone_

Dec 23, 2008
Dial ##634# and select "Call"

There should now be a "Diagnosis" option in your app list

Go into Diagnosis and a keypad comes up and enter *#1234#

Shows versions\MAC addresses

link

Not sure if this is just for samsung..

saitir

Jun 23, 2008
Another probably Samsung only tip: Tethering!

Call ##634#
From the new debugging menu, enter: *#7284#

You see three options come up: Zune, Modem Tethered Call, Modem Diagnostic.

Select the 2nd option. A restart is prompted. After this, when you connect via USB to a PC it configures a samsung modem. You'll need your mobile operators network login details, but there you go.

A number of people are having problems with the drivers, more on that as it develops I guess.

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
Another probably Samsung only tip: Tethering!

Call ##634#
From the new debugging menu, enter: *#7284#

You see three options come up: Zune, Modem Tethered Call, Modem Diagnostic.

Select the 2nd option. A restart is prompted. After this, when you connect via USB to a PC it configures a samsung modem. You'll need your mobile operators network login details, but there you go.

A number of people are having problems with the drivers, more on that as it develops I guess.

confirmed NOT working on a hd7 , the "##634#" thing isn't working.

Milky1

Oct 29, 2010
I was thinking about the home screen earlier, and how I would improve it, and came up with this:

I reckon they should have done the app bar in a similar way to how the Zune HD has its main menu, whereby the main part is big and the smaller pins and history section is small and in the background, then you swipe to the left to make the pins zoom in and the main menu zooms out into the background. Same principle here but with the app list and the main menu, smaller app list on the right and you swipe to the right it then zooms in and the main menu zooms out to the background and visa versa.

Amazing concept to help you visualize it:

3JBMkPE

6gULEXg

DaJanni

Jul 21, 2009
Silent ringing phone

to come back to serious hints and tricks here is what I found out:

When you get a phone call while in meeting or somewhere else where you want your phone to shut up there are 2 possibilities:

1. to just silent the ringer and maybe accept the call 10 seconds later press one of the volume buttons on the side of the device

2. to make the device silent, refuse the call and turning the display off while somebody's calling you just press the power button on top of the device.

pretty smart when you keep it in mind and use it in such situations...

edit: of course with HTC devices you still have the ability to turn it face-down to mute.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the next view day's I will get a hd7 to , and I think there is a need for a good tips and tricks thread.
    I will be harvesting tips and tricks on xda for this new operating system .

I need you all to make this an useful thread , if you have some tips or tricks please post them here and I will update the first view posts .

1) general

2) we need tips on using ZUNE

3) Syncing Outlook , (email,contacts)

4) Multimedia

5) Mod's

oh and please don't start a flame war here , this is only for tips and tricks.

this first post will be used for general tips and tricks

72 Windows Phone 7 tips and tricks here:
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36413/72-windows-phone-7-tips

Top 10 are:

1. Using the Windows Phone 7 voice controls
    Press and hold the Windows key at the bottom of your screen and you can start talking to your phone. Try saying "Open Calendar", to see what we mean.

2. Adding apps to the Start screen
    When you are in the long applications list on your phone pressing on an icon and holding brings up a contextual menu that gives you a series of options, one of which is "pin to start". Press on this option and the app will be shown on the Start screen.

3. Add people to the start page
    No it's not just about adding apps to the start page, but people too. Find them in your contacts book, click on the "pin" icon, and they'll be added to your Start page so you can speed dial them whenever you need.

4. Moving your tiles around
    Adding a new app or tile to the Start screen will place it right at the bottom. If you want it to be elsewhere, press and hold on the tile in question and then you are free to move it up and down and rearrange your tiles to best suit your needs.

5. Removing apps from the Start screen
    You like the app, but you don't really want it on your Start screen anymore. No worries. Hold your finger on the tile in question for a couple of seconds and when it highlights press the no pin icon in the top right-hand corner.

6. Uninstalling apps
    You've tried it and you don't like it. No problem. Head over to the menu list and press down on the app in question until you get the contextual menu. Select uninstall and you're done.

7. Rating and reviewing apps
    You really love the new app you've downloaded, so much so that you want to rate and review it so anyone else interested knows whether it's any good or not. With Windows Phone 7 you don't have to wait until you delete it to rate it, you can rate and review it at any time. Press and hold down on the app in question until that contextual menu appears and then choose "Rate and review". It will bring up another page allowing you to have your say and give it a rating out of five. Easy peasy.

8. How to change the theme
    If you've got your Windows Phone 7 phone from Vodafone the theme is going to be all red, O2 is dishing out blue themes and Orange, orange ones. An all red themed phone might be a bit much (we hear you), but fret not as you can change the colour of the tiles and other features in the Setting area. Zip on over to the menu list, select Settings, and then Theme. Here you can choose the colour of the background and the accent colour. Background options are "Black" or "White" while you'll get nine accent colours to pick from. Lime, anyone?

9. Swipe to the left
    Windows Phone 7 is built around the idea of panoramic tiles that you swipe to reveal more content off screen. It's always worth seeing if you can swipe to the left as there might be more stuff waiting to be revealed.

10. What are the dots?
    Whenever you see three dots at the bottom of the screen, that's a menu for more options. In photo playback for example, it will give you the options to delete the image or perform a quick upload.

I have some few questions:

- How to quickly switch the phone to Silent mode/Vibrate, etc?
    Press the volume button on the side and change from Ring to Vibrate and vicer versa
    - How to quickly stop the audioplayer playing when you are somewhere else in the menu ?
    Press volume button and audioplayer should show in a bar at the top and you can pause the song
    - Why some album cover arts are wrong, or black in Zune?
    Don't know, haven't noticed that yet
    - Is there a way to change the music/audio settings (equalizer, bass, treble ?)
    Download HTC App Sound Enhancer, allows some changes to be made.
    thanks

A couple of tips from me.

Firstly - More for O2 members here regarding call waiting, call divert etc. All from the O2 website as their help desk aren't up to speed on the device yet:-

If you're not reachable, you can:
    • Activate diverts by pressing * * 62 * 901 # [send]
    • Cancel diverts by pressing # # 62 # [send]
    • Check the status of your divert by pressing * # 62 # [send]
    To divert calls when your phone is busy:

• Press * * 67 * 901 # [send] to activate
    • Press # # 67 # [send] to cancel
    • Check status by pressing * # 67 # [send]
    To divert calls when there's no reply:

• Press * *61 * 901 * 11 * number of seconds # [send]
    • Cancel by Pressing # # 61 # [send]
    • Check status by pressing * # 61 # [send]
    Note: You only need to press * 11 * if you want to change the length of time your phone rings before it goes to Voicemail. It's normally set to 30 seconds, but if you prefer, you can amend this to 5 - 25 seconds in increments of five seconds.
    To divert all calls:

• Key * * 21 * 901 # [send]
    • Cancel by keying # # 21 # [send]
    • Check status by keying * # 21 # [send]
    To cancel all your diverts:

• Key # # 002 # [send]

Call waiting
    Call waiting lets you take another call when you're already on the phone. Just dial *43# [send] and you'll be able to see if someone's trying to get through when you're already on a call. It's free to all O2 customers.

Have set but not fully tested any of this yet. The device confirms the settings when you send so I'm assuming it has worked.

Next set of tips is for those of you wanting to use Exchange (whether business or personal) rather than Live for your contacts and calendar.

1. Outlook in Office 2010 will enable you to have 2 Exchange accounts on the same profile!! This means that if you have a business and personal exchange account you can have them both open on one Outlook at the same time and it means ..... you can do the same drag and drop as if you had used the Outlook connector to link to Live!
    2. When setting up the Exchange accounts on the phone, remember - the Server is the OWA address not the actual server address.
    More later

How to have multi-language dictionaries [WP7 autocorrects my English words]

Select multiple keyboard languages in the settings. When done so, your virtual keyboard will show a regional button right of the spacebar. Changing keyboard layout will change the dictionary.
    Marketplace Search

I don't know if this has been covered or not, but if you suffix your search in marketplace with the content type it filters everything else out

Example:

Google app - Apps only
    Google Song - Songs Only
    Google Album - Albums/Songs Only

This is useful for searches that have common names in them.
    Thought I'd post a link to a list I made of some tips: http://www.creepinjesus.net/10-of-my-favourite-windows-phone-7-tips. I consider these the "not-so-obvious" tips - ones you wouldn't know about unless someone told you.

Hope they're helpful :)
    Pinning Webpage Tip

When pinning a page to your start screen in Internet Explorer:

Make sure you are zoomed in on a recognisable part of the page. The current zoom level of the page becomes the Tile snapshot image.

Tip is then: Zoom in on the page logo etc!

e.g. XDA:
    KMDtD.jpg
    Winter gloves

If you live in one of the colder climates, and wear regulation winter gloves, you will have to take off your gloves to answer the phone (or do anything else).

For things like answering the phone, or reading emails & sms, here is a tip: Use your nose. Do not use your tongue - that's gross.