[DISCUSSION][SOLVED] G2 Rooting #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
Guys, by itself the command that sets S-OFF doesn't work. We know this; multiple people have tried it. There is more work to be done here. Stay tuned.

Did not know that. some how some were everything got lost in the forum :p but yea i thought that he found the commands but didnt run them in fear or bricking. but
thanks now i know

bsnelson

Apr 10, 2009
Guys, by itself the command that sets S-OFF doesn't work. We know this; multiple people have tried it. There is more work to be done here. Stay tuned.
If the developers were smart (and I hope they weren't :) ), they would have coded a "challenge-response" mechanism that controlled access to unlocking the NAND. It could be a simple, breakable challenge (much like some hard drives used to use), or it could be a who-knows-how-many-bits RSA based challenge that is computationally impossible to break. This would allow authorized software to unlock and update (i.e. a legit signed update) the device, but keep us out.

That's what I would have done, and while I have been a software engineer for 21 years, I'm not an expert in this area.

Brad

MacDegger

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 20, 2008
If it's a key ... shouldn't the official ruu's and the two OTA updates not also be carrying that key?

If I had way too much time, the soldering skills and a couple of spare DHD's, I think that reading the memory of a DHD as it's updating (and comparing that to the second update) would be quite enlightening.

I wonder if that could even be done, or if the combination of lag, error and voltage difference introduced in the system would screw things up ...

adwinp

Jun 22, 2008
urandom
Did no one else notice in the youtube video the guy swapped out the SD card as well? I believe he is lying about the SIM rooting bit, and the truth is he has the code to do so (on the SD card). I could be wrong. Additionally the video isn't really proof of anything it could have been rooted before hand, and everything he does in the video is just for show / misdirection. Either way it will be rooted fellas, just be patient, look at how long some other handsets took to root. This is exactly why I've not purchased my G2 yet... the G1 is still running, and I like having my phone customized the way I want it.

He's loading DIAG.zip from that sdcard.

Novek

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 19, 2008
Tønsberg
Wonderful!! Now we just need some ROMs, and I'll guess cyan will be first... :D

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

Status
Not open for further replies.