FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Permanent root on Desire Z 'the clean way', using rage

252 posts
Thanks Meter: 74

By Mr_Q, Senior Member on 17th November 2010, 04:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread is copied and modified from the G2 thread by trigeek for the Desire Z:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=834228

Apart from the changed hboot and wpthis-Z kernel module for the Desire Z instead of the G2, I have also updated the su-binary and SuperUser.apk to the latest version by ChainsDD

In no way I can be held responsible for any bricks to your phone. You are using this guide at your own risk!! I did test this guide on my own, and also on a friend's Desire Z.

As there was no manual rooting guide for the Desire Z, I posted it myself in order to help others that do not like visionary and like to do it 'the clean way'.

[GUIDE] Temp to permanent root on Desire Z, using rage instead of visionary
=================================================
There's already a guide here for obtaining permanent root using VISIONary, but some folks in #G2ROOT are having issues with the way that VISIONary modifies parititons. Using rage directly is a bit cleaner, since you know exactly what it's going to touch at each step of the way. I did NOT come up with any of this on my own, I'm building completely off of work that others have done. Speaking of which-

None of this would be possible without the tireless work that scotty2 put in. He stayed with the project for well over a month, through lots of smashed hopes and dead ends, until the solution was finally found. Were it not for his work, as well as the help of a few other key folks- we wouldn't be here. He deserves our thanks and some donations! We're talking hundreds of hours of work here, a couple bucks is not too much for that. His paypal is:

walker.scott@gmail.com
Send him some love! I'm not asking for anything myself, because I spent a half hour putting this together, and that doesn't deserve any donations!

DESIRE Z ROOT INSTRUCTIONS
These are modified instructions based on the ones posted at http://bit.ly/g2root that use Visionary. A number of people have run into issues with the way that Visionary juggles around temporary partitions, and using the original root exploit is a much easier, and cleaner method for achieving permanent root. This tutorial will walk you through the rooting process by first achieving temporary root, and moving on to permanent root.

REQUIREMENTS
•Visionary disabled at boot or uninstalled completely
•Android Terminal Emulator app
•ADB
•desirez-combined-root.zip (Attached to this post)

In the commands to run below, $ or # represent the prompt and should NOT be entered as part of the commands.

VERY IMPORTANT!
Visionary has caused filesystem corruption for some users during the rooting process. Before attempting the instructions below, make sure that you have "auto run on boot" turned OFF, and reboot your system. Since you will not need visionary anyway after this, you might as well just uninstall visionary and reboot NOW before doing anything.

TEMP ROOT
ON YOUR PC:
Unzip the z-temp-root files to a folder. From a cmd window or terminal, navigate to that folder and execute these commands:

Code:
$ adb push su /sdcard/su
$ adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
$ adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
$ adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
$ adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
$ adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*
ON YOUR PHONE:

1.Launch Terminal Emulator
Code:
/data/local/tmp/rage
3.Wait for the message: "Forked #### childs."
4.Menu > Reset Term - Terminal Emulator will exit.
5.Launch Terminal Emulator, it Force Closes. Launch a second time, and you'll have a root shell
6.**NOTE**: in the original directions from the XDA thread, you are instructed to run the /data/local/tmp/root script here. DON'T do this just yet. Leave the terminal window open.

PERM ROOT
ON YOUR PC:
unzip z-perm-root and navigate to that folder. There will be four files. You will need to push two of these to your phone: hboot_7230_0.84.2000_100908.nb0 and wpthis-Z.ko. The other two files are optional for checksum verification.

Code:
$ adb push hboot_7230_0.84.2000_100908.nb0 /data/local
$ adb push wpthis-Z.ko /data/local
Optional but might came in handy:
Code:
$ adb push md5checksum /sdcard/md5checksum

ON YOUR PHONE:
You should still have terminal emulator up, at a root prompt. Now run:

Optional but recommended:
Code:
# /data/local/tmp/busybox md5sum /data/local/*
You should see:
hboot_7230_0.84.2000_100908.nb0 2ce1bdd5e4c1119ccfcecb938710d742
wpthis-Z.ko c73c5e77c91d306c418983c002b60b93

In case your hboot or wpthis-Z.ko file do not have the same md5hash as shown above, DO NOT CONTINUE. This means your file is corrupt or you are using a different file, for example the one for the G2 instead of Desire Z.

Now, let's turn off security for permanent flashing:

Code:
# insmod /data/local/wpthis-Z.ko
init_module 'wpthis-Z.ko' failed (Function not implemented)
That means it worked. This next step is CRUCIAL. You must make sure that you are writing to the proper partition here or you could brick your phone. To be absolutely clear- the partition is mmcblk(zero)p(one)(eight)

Quote:

# dd if=/data/local/hboot_7230_0.84.2000_100908.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

You should see some messages indicating that it was written.

Code:
# /data/local/tmp/root
This will lock in root, and give you 'su' access in the future. Next, run:

Code:
# sync
Now wait at least a minute, just to be safe. After waiting, reboot your phone using the power button. After it finishes starting up, launch the terminal emulator, and type 'su'. You should get the prompt asking you to grant permissions. If you got the prompt, congratulations! You have permanent root!
Attached Files
File Type: zip z-combined-root.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.42 MB, 7085 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Q For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr_Q Ad-Free

17th November 2010, 04:47 PM |#2  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 620

More
Nice guide, thanks
18th November 2010, 12:33 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Thank you Mr Q. works like a charm!
21st November 2010, 02:08 PM |#4  
Flag Hoofddorp
Thanks Meter: 1

More
first of all.. thanks for this great guide. Everything went perfect until I came to the step to lock in root. After the command "/data/local/tmp/root" I get this error:
mkdir failed for /system/xbin, File exists

when I just ignore it and type sync after that I have no root acces after a reboot.

Does anybody have a solution for it? I have already done a hardreset with the same results.
thanks in advance...
22nd November 2010, 07:25 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 243

Donate to Me
More
So this only roots your phone? Or does it s-off as well? From what I understand this s-offs as well because you're pushing the hboot as well.

EDIT: Nevermind. I read the thread again and it does indeed s-off as well.
22nd November 2010, 10:34 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarDor

first of all.. thanks for this great guide. Everything went perfect until I came to the step to lock in root. After the command "/data/local/tmp/root" I get this error:

when I just ignore it and type sync after that I have no root acces after a reboot.

Does anybody have a solution for it? I have already done a hardreset with the same results.
thanks in advance...

Everything was fine up until this point. So i restarted the phone and phone is stuck on the "quietly brilliant" screen
22nd November 2010, 11:15 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyed

Everything was fine up until this point. So i restarted the phone and phone is stuck on the "quietly brilliant" screen

having the same issue here
22nd November 2010, 11:49 PM |#8  

More
So I'm looking into these S-OFF and rooting threads and here is two bricks too. Does anyone have an answer for these two or should I skip this? Did the hboot do this or was it due to some problem in inserted kernel module? (I.E. the reboot of the emmc controller resulted in a ****ed up file system?)
22nd November 2010, 11:56 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDone

So I'm looking into these S-OFF and rooting threads and here is two bricks too. Does anyone have an answer for these two or should I skip this? Did the hboot do this or was it due to some problem in inserted kernel module? (I.E. the reboot of the emmc controller resulted in a ****ed up file system?)

Ok, so I have figured out how to get out of this "quietly brilliant" loop.

First of all, this isn't a brick and all that is needed to fix this is a quick factory reset from the bootloader.
23rd November 2010, 12:49 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

First of all, this isn't a brick and all that is needed to fix this is a quick factory reset from the bootloader.

Ok, so does any one have an explanation why this happened?

1. It wasn't wrong or screwed hboot, otherwise we would be facing a real brick?

Was it the root method? Was it the wpthis-Z.ko?

It might have been the kernel module, but I can't be sure about that with so little knowledge I have. (sure not the module itself but the kick to the emmc?) Just that it seems to be more likely option than a rooting attempt on a cached r-o file system?

I'm not complaining about the guide, it is specific and easy to follow but I would really love to have these semi bricks etc inspected more closely. It is not really helping to encourage ppl to root and try safe-off when we have unexplained bricks and semi-bricks around
23rd November 2010, 03:31 PM |#11  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 620

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarDor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelti

Did you guys run Visionary before trying this "rage" method of rooting ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)