Adventures in trying to get Phone calls

Search This thread

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
I meant out of the box. People keep saying there are rumours that this provider will allow it, etc. They are just that, rumours!
I don't underestimate anybody. That's why I'm here, to learn and help in any way I can.
So spare me your childish remarks and read the whole thread before posting stupid things like this.

1. When reading several of your posts (which I did, you can see I answered you in several threads), you make no sense and you are definitely not talking "out of the box"
2. Your answer is disrespectful, mine was factual. Try to control yourself before calling people stupid or childish
3. I don't see where you've been helpful, while I clearly see you've been speaking while not knowing what you were talking about, making definitive assertions where we're still doing research

gehzumteufel

Jul 27, 2006
SoCal
If anyone can grab the modem.bin from the stock T-Mobile US Galaxy Tab, then we can drop it on top of the JK1 ROM and hopefully get 3G back.

Post it here if you have it.

If its like the Vibrant, then I can create an Odin tar file to flash.

cjsblues
Everyone that is still stuck on Edge, needs to do this. cjsblues has the EXACT reason you guys are having issues (with TMO) tabs not getting on 3g. You have the WRONG modem.

Someone with a stock tab, needs to copy/dump the modem binary and then you need to load this to enable the proper radio operation.

dalethefarmer

Jul 27, 2010
New York
Everyone that is still stuck on Edge, needs to do this. cjsblues has the EXACT reason you guys are having issues (with TMO) tabs not getting on 3g. You have the WRONG modem.

Someone with a stock tab, needs to copy/dump the modem binary and then you need to load this to enable the proper radio operation.

Sounds like that might work. Please link on how to do this, I'm thinking of getting one by the end of this week.

maxtcee

Jan 25, 2009
South Jerz

I tried to do this as well as dumping the stock Rom but with no success as I dont really have alot of knowledge with Android or hacking but if someone would post a simple how to step by step hopefully we can get this done

Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, I'm an idiot... where is the modem file? ("modem.bin" I assume?) Looked all over my Tab and couldn't find it.

And on a similar tangent, is there a way to browse the root filesystem via PC when the Tab is connect to the PC?

dalethefarmer

Jul 27, 2010
New York
I tried to do this as well as dumping the stock Rom but with no success as I dont really have alot of knowledge with Android or hacking but if someone would post a simple how to step by step hopefully we can get this done

Yeah, I'm an idiot... where is the modem file? ("modem.bin" I assume?) Looked all over my Tab and couldn't find it.

And on a similar tangent, is there a way to browse the root filesystem via PC when the Tab is connect to the PC?

Use adb shell:

Code:
adb shell

Now you're executing commands on the phone:

Code:
su
dd if=/dev/block/bml1 of=/sdcard/bml1.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml2 of=/sdcard/bml2.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/bml3.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/bml4.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml5 of=/sdcard/bml5.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml6 of=/sdcard/bml6.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml7 of=/sdcard/bml7.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml8 of=/sdcard/bml8.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml9 of=/sdcard/bml9.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml10 of=/sdcard/bml10.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml11 of=/sdcard/bml11.dump bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/bml12 of=/sdcard/bml12.dump bs=4096

tar -zcvf  /sdcard/firmware.tar.gz /sdcard/bml*.dump
exit

Now you're back on your computer, time to pull the firmware over:
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/firmware.tar.gz .

calin75

Mar 6, 2008
Miami

That's been done already. If you have the euro firmware installed in a T-Mobile tab, and then you load the T-Mobile modem, your tab will regain 3G but won't make phone calls anymore.

I know, it sucks!

shollywood

Aug 5, 2008
1. When reading several of your posts (which I did, you can see I answered you in several threads), you make no sense and you are definitely not talking "out of the box"
2. Your answer is disrespectful, mine was factual. Try to control yourself before calling people stupid or childish
3. I don't see where you've been helpful, while I clearly see you've been speaking while not knowing what you were talking about, making definitive assertions where we're still doing research

That's your interpretation. If you don't think I was referring to out of the box, that's YOUR interpretation. I'm telling you, I WAS talking out of the box. Get it? I know you do because you responded to one of my posts as me referring to out of the box.
I also think I've been helpful to others in several posts. AGAIN, if you don't interpret it that way, that's YOUR problem!
Show me where you have contributed ANYTHING meaningful? You are simply riding on the coattails of others. In fact, in one of your posts, you say you don't even have a TAB, but you're going to be getting one from AT&T, as that's the network you're on.
So let's call a spade a spade huh.....

Last edited:

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
That's your interpretation. If you don't think I was referring to out of the box, that's YOUR interpretation. I'm telling you, I WAS talking out of the box. Get it? I know you do because you responded to one of my posts as me referring to out of the box.
I also think I've been helpful to others in several posts. AGAIN, if you don't interpret it that way, that's YOUR problem!
Show me where you have contributed ANYTHING meaningful? You are simply riding on the coattails of others. In fact, in one of your posts, you say you don't even have a TAB, but you're going to be getting one from AT&T, as that's the network you're on.
So let's call a spade a spade huh.....

If you need to look for my contributions go to the TP2 forum. I think several people there can testify. The Hermes forum as well, although post there are older
So far you kept on adding useless pessimistic comments with absolutely no ground or facts to back your sayings. Your aggressiveness is actually a good sign of your ignorance. Stop posting for nothing and post when you have something real
I don't have a tab yet. I am on business trip and will get one from AT&T when I get back to the US... Nevertheless I am eagerly reading the post of people who have something to say and trying to learn as much as I can about the tab and android before I get it (No shame to say I am a complete noob as far as android is concerned. That is however not true for WM 6.x)
I wont answer your provocations anymore, I think you and I polluted enough this thread with useless comments. Let's leave the floor to people who are actually on the way to get the voice work on this tab

bulldebeerman

Oct 12, 2010
Brooklyn
Can we use the bluetooth from galaxy s and the phone.apk think about that haha my brother has a galaxy s but hes away for the week hum. Can someone try this and let us know.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using XDA App

timmytoyz

Nov 18, 2010
Did i miss it or was there a solution to enable both the voice and 3G services? A great many thanks. I like the device however there are so many dissapointments. No forward facing video support for skype. Many others.

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010
Did i miss it or was there a solution to enable both the voice and 3G services? A great many thanks. I like the device however there are so many dissapointments. No forward facing video support for skype. Many others.

If you want video support for Skype then ask Skype. That has nothing to do with Samsung. Tho, there is an app called clearsea if u wanna do video chat. Works well. And no, data + phone isn't solved yet. Soon though.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just flash the EURO firmware version. But now I am only getting EDGE. Of course I also need a new SIM with voice and data. The hardware is there guys!! Now I only need to unlock this puppy.
    Well, most of the info came from;
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=827853&page=3
    post 23.

I just started from a different version as I wasn't able to dial the keypad to find out what I currently had installed.

I'm still not sure if the phone.apk's would have worked, think I was doing it wrong, but many thanks to people who posted theirs. If that does work, it'd be far easier and less 'omg I think I've just trashed it' moments.

So..
    After a few moments of the Android restore shell, the download screen, and the 'phone-!-computer' screen (which as it turns out isn't anything to worry about, you can still connect up using odin to flash).

Download Odin3 v1.70
    do some googling for;
    P1000XXJHA
    for the base rom.
    Used;
    P1_20100909.pit
    for formating. Selected 'Repartition' 'AutoReboot' 'fResetTime'. That rebooted with nothing.
    Then, unchecked the 'repartion' part (as the structure is setup, don't want to screw it up, the next flashing needs to 'drop in' where the structure is.

Then, loading into the JHA.rar, flashed that and rebooted.
    After some power off/on/off/on again, it's back to being usuable (previous to this, all my other attempts were locking it up at various screens).
    The Phone icon WAS visible, but unable to make phone calls.

Now... I was a bit rash here, I also flashed P1000OXAJK1.tar (Repartion set to OFF!) to upgrade, AND I swapped sims to my known working Sim card.

At this point, it rebooted, showed 'Emergency Calls only'
    Went into the wireless/Mobile Settings/NetworkOperators and made sure it was connected to TMobile. That that point, I made my first call and it worked.
    Received a call too, also working.

Everything else 'appears' to be working apart from the browsing which looks like some APN setting. Every page I'm trying to access takes me to the Tmobile site. I need to set something/have something set I guess. The settings /look/ right, but can't get to non-tmobile if I'm not using wireless.

Though it also looks like I'm not getting much signal too. 1 bar tops (sure I was getting 3 before flashing) so guess there's some issues with the radio. Don't know what todo about that. Not showing the '3', just 'e' when I'm connecting up too. (-107dBm, 3asu, network type : edge)

The settings/about shows 'phone' information, not 'tablet' information as it did before too.

Overall though, it's working ok. Once I get the 3g browsing sorted, it'll be perfect.
    Has anyone started working on the CDMA version?
    I am very sorry!

I would like to make my Tmobile Tab to make call. But as I read through the instructions, I am not really sure how to follow them. Would anybody to help as to rewrite the instructions step by step.

Thank you very much

here is the steps you need to have voice+edge on the t-mobile tab (this is if you already own a Vibrant) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=876178
    Hi,

Is there a way to lower the loudspeaker volume, So that you can use the tab as a phone and the loudspeaker as an Ear Piece ? I've seen some people use it like this.

When I put mine as low as possible, I still can not use it for private calls as its too loud.

Thanks for your help.

Ash.