[HOW-TO] Flash your at&t Tab to make calls + 1900+850 WCDMA - UPDATED

1,915 posts
Thanks Meter: 352

By clubtech, Senior Member on 21st November 2010, 10:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th November 2010, 04:12 PM |#161  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Backing up original rom before taking the plunge? possible newbiew question.
Fantastic I have been looking for something exactly like this. Would be great to have a device with a larger screen that I could use both both data and phone as well as remote support (VNC etc) that I could fit in my jacket pocket. Would most def. be worth the $700 investment.

I noticed on this thread that someone had success with the Bell units and getting Voice and Data to work on the telus networks. I grabbed a Bell unit and was able to unlock and root as well as find the various USB drivers for both the download mode and kies to hook up odin as well as the drivers for the adb usb connection.

Though before taken the plunge of flashing the european roms I really want to get a dump/recovery image of the original bell rom so that if doesn't work I can flash back to the original rom in factory condition and return it. All of the original documentation I have come across in searching for an answer mention clockworks which doesn't work on the galaxy tab that or accessing/installing the nandroid or even getting to that screen.

The closest thing that I found mentions using adb and odin to get the original rom partitions and sucking those up to the SD card. But the guide is specific to the Behold and wonder if its applicable to the case of the Galaxy tab, or whether the partitions/files it saying to backup and compile are the rights ones for this unit?

[Won't let me paste the url see the androidforumsDOTcom -> tinyurlDOTcomSLASH2e9ae4e]

Does anyone have a general guide as to backing up the original stock Galaxy Tab Bell stock roms or know where to download them just in case the phone hack doesn't work so that I can return in original factory condition?? I realise this maybe a newbie question but if I could get a recovery image just in case would make it much easier to test this out just in case it fails.
25th November 2010, 06:46 PM |#162  

More
Bell Recovery Rom
Ok, I think I just bricked it. Was trying out odin to see if I could dump the memory from the device.

Got the phone + exclamation+ computer screen which will only boot to that. Guess I am commited to going thru the steps in the start of this article.

Does anyone have a rom image of the original Bell stock rom that I can grab to flash it back to stock?
25th November 2010, 07:10 PM |#163  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 1,072

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdroid

Ok, I think I just bricked it. Was trying out odin to see if I could dump the memory from the device.

Got the phone + exclamation+ computer screen which will only boot to that. Guess I am commited to going thru the steps in the start of this article.

Does anyone have a rom image of the original Bell stock rom that I can grab to flash it back to stock?

You may want to flash the bell modem.bin only with odin to get the unit "unstuck". It will reboot the Tab when done and get it out of download mode and back to stock.

I hope you didn't Euro-Flash it yet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotohammer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rotohammer Ad-Free
25th November 2010, 07:17 PM |#164  

More
"You may want to flash the bell modem.bin only with odin to get the unit "unstuck". It will reboot the Tab when done and get it out of download mode and back to stock.

I hope you didn't Euro-Flash it yet "

Nope not yet, was just about to, but thanks for the quick response will give that a try. So want this to work and don't want to give up on it just yet.
25th November 2010, 07:27 PM |#165  

More
backing up rom and unbricked !
"You may want to flash the bell modem.bin only with odin to get the unit "unstuck". It will reboot the Tab when done and get it out of download mode and back to stock."
thank you SO MUCH that worked, was worried I bricked it for good

"I hope you didn't Euro-Flash it yet "
which brings me back to my original question, how do I dump the stock bell rom from the device so I could flash it back if the euro flash doesnt work?

I know that might be a newbie question, but would give great peice of mind if I can go back step if this doesnt work. I have been talking to a few of my fellow IT geeks here and they are interested in having this device for conveniance to.
25th November 2010, 09:31 PM |#166  
Flag Markham
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thumbs up euro firmware bell tablet running fido confirmed
Hello, just followed all instructions on the euro flash bell modem + market fix for missing apps works perfect using bell tab running fido. Not gonna lie i actually think im gonna like using this as an EVERYTHING!!!

thank you guys(clubtech,rotohammer) so much for your hard work and a great tutorial. cheers!!!
25th November 2010, 09:42 PM |#167  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak

Sort of, but you'll only get 3G on the 1900 band, there will be no 850 band on the Euro device, which will mean less than stellar (or no) 3G coverage depending on where you are.

If you can wait, you're far better off getting a AT&T/Bell/Rogers version and flashing it according to the OP, for use in the US.

will the att/version be 'phone call' ready like the euro version, or do i have to flash it to use it as a phone & mobile hotspot (like my captivate). i'd like to get a tab to make even more use of the unlimited data.
25th November 2010, 10:00 PM |#168  
OP Senior Member
USA
Thanks Meter: 352

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice10

will the att/version be 'phone call' ready like the euro version, or do i have to flash it to use it as a phone & mobile hotspot (like my captivate). i'd like to get a tab to make even more use of the unlimited data.

Do you know how to read?
Why do you post questions that have been clearly answered dozens of times in this and other threads.
26th November 2010, 12:59 AM |#169  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Hi all -

Just a quick question:

1. After flashing the first rom, it didn't come up in Russian - it was still English on the screen. Is that correct or did I mess something up?

I'm up and running with phone and HSUPA, is everything golden or should I restart?

-Daniel
26th November 2010, 02:20 AM |#170  

More
Success! It works.
Took the plunge and flashed all the necessary roms and the modem bin file and it works, have voice and data on the telus network and it just works. A nerds dream, definately a keeper.

Thank you!
26th November 2010, 04:33 AM |#171  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 1,072

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdroid

thank you SO MUCH that worked, was worried I bricked it for good.

Cool, I hate to see anyone panic and make a bad situation worse, because I've been there done that

My advice to anyone who gets stuck at some point is to stop and ask for help and read the thread once through again. A brick to one person may be a viable device to another.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)