Beta testers wanted: NES, tool to manage data partition

Search This thread

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Update 03/08/11

NotEnoughSpace has finally graduated to the Android Marketplace!
Beta testers can currently get it at its "thank you" price of $0.99.
I will set the regular price in a week so hurry :)

Note #1: your phone needs to be ROOTED to use this application.
Note #2: so far, only tested on Droid Incredible and HTC Desire.

From the built-in help:

About this application

This application's goal is to help you understand and possibly work around a common vexation of using Android; i.e. these messages:

"not enough space"
"Low on space. Application data space is low."

What is happening?

You've checked your phone's vitals and it appears that it has plenty of space left, both internal storage and SD Card storage. So, what's happening?
Android allows your applications to store their data, primarily, in a dedicated partition whose size happens to be much smaller than even the phone's internal storage space. Generally south of 150 MBs.
This is the partition that fills up so quickly and that Android has been complaining about.

And the help goes on and on so I'll stop here.

The short version

Using this application, you can see which applications use up most of your phone's data space and decide what to do with them.
You can also move the biggest directories to the phone's SD Card.

Additionally, you can use the app to cleanup the Dalvik cache but it's not the app's primary function.

Please, help test it!

I will gladly welcome any constructive criticism; I expect most of it to be along the lines of "The tool is not quite accurate" and that's what I wish to address first.

To create a debug report (these are very important):
Simply select the "Debug" menu and follow the on-screen instructions.
The whole email business is so that you can copy/paste from a desktop client.

The .apk can be downloaded from nexus.zteo.com/projects/beta/

Update 12/04/10

The application should now display correct stats for phones/ROMs that use Busybox. If you have already tested it and it said "NaN" please try it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Using this application, you can see which applications use up most of your phone's data space and decide what to do with them.

Curious, does this mean you can move and symlink data, or are you talking about Froyo Apps2SD?

This should be interesting, maybe kinda Android GpartED? :D

Obviously not, he's managing what's there, he's not partitioning anything.. Did you read?

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento
Obviously not, he's managing what's there, he's not partitioning anything.. Did you read?

Come on, what's the matter dude? I did read, and from what I read I thought whole partition handling was the only thing this app would be missing. Single files is a good start, but making that "kinda GpartED" would be killer. Though I fear you should be in bootloader/recovery to work on those, don't know how Android deals with them (i.e. in Windows you have programs you can change partitions size "on the fly" with). Now that I elaborated more, are you still angry? :p

omgi0wn

Jun 18, 2010
This application would be genius. I'm wondering however, will the phone still be able to access that data once it is moved off of the system memory and onto the SD Card? And is it possible to actually partition the /data/data section so that it will use more than the allowed 150mb that it has, like open it up so that instead of it being partitioned to a small amount, it just roams free with the rest of the 748mb or whatever that is in the system memory.

mizch

Nov 11, 2010
A promising app, thanks.

Navigon, however, doesn't like its data to be moved to SD card. Even after moving it back with the app, it FCs (Android 2.1). I think I have to reinstall. So be careful if you're trying to do the same.

Edit: After reinstalling the .apk (without doing anything with the maps), Navigon works again. The packet installer didn't ask me if I wanted to replace the existing installation (as is otherwise usual in such a case).

Edit2: There seems to be a general problem. The next app I tried was mediaU. It has a large database which I moved (using NES) to the SD card. It also FCed after having moved its database, and restoring to the old location (again using NES) also didn't succeed. No error message during restore, but app still won't run.

Phone: Galaxy 3, Android 2.1 (original ROM).

Last edited:

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento
A promising app, thanks.

Navigon, however, doesn't like its data to be moved to SD card. Even after moving it back with the app, it FCs (Android 2.1). I think I have to reinstall. So be careful if you're trying to do the same.

Edit: After reinstalling the .apk (without doing anything with the maps), Navigon works again. The packet installer didn't ask me if I wanted to replace the existing installation (as is otherwise usual in such a case).

Edit2: There seems to be a general problem. The next app I tried was mediaU. It has a large database which I moved (using NES) to the SD card. It also FCed after having moved its database, and restoring to the old location (again using NES) also didn't succeed. No error message during restore, but app still won't run.

Phone: Galaxy 3, Android 2.1 (original ROM).

Tonight I'm gonna try for sure and report back, this does look promising! Did you succeed with some apps? :)

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Thanks for doing this testing, guys.
I will install these apps and test them myself.

teorouge: you moved the database/ directory, is that it?

mizch: so, you re-installed K9 after reflashing, right?

Everybody: what about the "free space" numbers reported by the app? Do they seem correct to you? I had to use a dedicated algo to compute them, taking block size in account, and I've had reports of fairly surprising discrepancies.

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento
Free space doesn't seem to update after moving, though I see the difference in the Titanium Backup count: tried for a couple of apps (G Earth and well... don't remember!) and it did move everything, free up space on /data and I can still use those apps. Still afraid to move many apps, just moving one at the time and test. ;)

bdt1995

May 13, 2010
I just tested it out on my Droid 1, which is running CM6.1RC5 (Not sure if thats relevant or not), and it doesnt seem to work very well on my phone. All apps came back as 4KB, at the top it showed this... Total:261.8MB Used:NaNKB Free: 259.1MB Database NaNKB Files: NaNKB Preferences:NaNKB Cache:NaNKB.

Heres the debug report: 1:/dev/block/mtdblock6 268032 224572 43460 84% /data
2:62855 /data/data
3:4096/0/265352

lhinsz

Oct 6, 2010
Northern California
Sorry - never mind; found the info in FAQ.txt after downloading

From the built-in help:

About this application

This application's goal is to help you understand and possibly work around a common vexation of using Android; i.e. these messages:

"not enough space"

What is happening?

You've checked your phone's vitals and it appears that it has plenty of space left, both internal storage and SD Card storage. So, what's happening?
Android allows your applications to store their data, primarily, in a dedicated partition whose size happens to be much smaller than even the phone's internal storage space. Generally south of 150 MBs.
This is the partition that fills up so quickly and that Android has been complaining about.

The short version

Additionally, you can use the app to cleanup the Dalvik cache but it's not the app's primary function.

Please, help test it!

I will gladly welcome any constructive criticism; I expect most of it to be along the lines of "The tool is not quite accurate" and that's what I wish to address first.

To create a debug report:

Do you have more details about this program anywhere? I went to the download page but see no further info...

Last edited:

rnh16

Aug 13, 2010
Free Memory?

I just tested it out on my Droid 1, which is running CM6.1RC5 (Not sure if thats relevant or not), and it doesnt seem to work very well on my phone. All apps came back as 4KB, at the top it showed this... Total:261.8MB Used:NaNKB Free: 259.1MB Database NaNKB Files: NaNKB Preferences:NaNKB Cache:NaNKB.

I'm having the same problem as bdt1995. Running CM 6.1 RC1.. the only difference is the total memory is 196.2 and the free is:194.3 MB cuz I'm using a Nexus.. CM6 might be the problem?

Attachments

• 20101128204320.jpg
    20101128204320.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 253

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando

Heres the debug report: 1:/dev/block/mtdblock6 268032 224572 43460 84% /data
2:62855 /data/data
3:4096/0/265352
Same here (total 196.2MB, Free 194.3MB, all apps 4KB), system details in my sig. Using apps2sdext, over 200 apps.

Debug info:
Code:
1:/dev/block/mtdblock5    200960    112144     88816  56% /data
2:96070	/data/data
3:4096/0/198951

mmorselli

May 7, 2010
Same problem as above with Cyanogen 6.02, However it looks promising.

I Think that moving data to standard SD can leads to security issue, because SD can be readed and written by any apps. Should be better if the app recognize /EXT partition, if exist, and move data here.

BigNate

Jul 23, 2010
Phoenix
i'd like to try it and i get my lil sis to try it also she gets this problem a lot i have the droid incredible and my sis has the droid eris.

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
bdt1995, rnh16, britoso, mmorselli:

Thanks for the debug info. Indeed Cyanogen is a tad "exotic" for NES at this point.
Please download the latest version of NES -- I just uploaded it. It contains an extra debug line which should allow me to make it work so please paste your debug output here one more time.

JerseyFF:

Oops, thanks.

lhinsz:

Because it is a beta version, it hasn't been released yet and all the information you may need is contained in the Help screen. I tried to make it comprehensive.

BigNate:

Should work with HTC devices, yes. Could you or you sister paste her phone's debug screen here?

Zandog:

I do not think that both apps share the same goal so no lives should be lost (Seriously, not much of a bubble to burst?)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 03/08/11

NotEnoughSpace has finally graduated to the Android Marketplace!
    Beta testers can currently get it at its "thank you" price of $0.99.
    I will set the regular price in a week so hurry :)

From the built-in help:

About this application

"not enough space"

What is happening?

The short version

Please, help test it!

To create a debug report (these are very important):

Update 12/04/10

The application should now display correct stats for phones/ROMs that use Busybox. If you have already tested it and it said "NaN" please try it again.
    v0.5.6
    • Unmount/Remount NES Partition when SD Card is shared on your PC
    • NES Partition can be located either on SD Card or /emmc
    • "Force (Un)Mount" buttons in settings for NES Partition

It would be awesome if you guys could test relocating parts of an app (especially /lib) to a NES Partition on /emmc, reboot your phone and see if your app survived the reboot.

Also great: relocating parts of an app to NES Partition on SD Card and confirm that SD card can still be mounted on PC.
    I can do that. Is there still a point for the container in that case, though?

Probably so: I'm just guessing that a large percentage of Dincredible (and whatever other phones have this /data/data problem), don't even know they've got the /mnt/emmc partition with ~4-6G of free data inside their phones. I actually use it but almost never to look at from a PC view. I just keep nandroid backups of old there.

If that's true, or mostly true, then why not dedicate 250M or whatever size loop partition inside /mnt/emmc, or at least make it a choice.

If I plugged my phone in to get to the /sdcard , I probably want to see that device. If I don't see /mnt/emmc show up, I don't usually care. Between the two, it seems to me a natural, and like someone said, it could be just another choice in the loop creation screen.

Seem like a good idea to me. Having the loop keep the /sdcard from being unmountable (from the droid's perspective) doesn't seem like a good idea.
    1. Yes, do something about version number! I've been leaving it alone because it's not in the marketplace, but it _does_ make it awkward to report what version you are running!
    4.1. Warn you/maybe block you if a file that will lose important privileges is about to be moved to the SD Card or /emmc (which has its own issues)

So, I'm back, and I've implemented these two.
    Actually you will not be able to move a directory that contains an executable (like an executable file or a native library file)
    Same if this directory contains one or more links. This takes _partial_ care of 4.2.

-C.
    Oh, geez. I forgot.
    It's not a trial period or anything like that; simply a hardcoded date after which the application stops working.
    This is because I do not like, while beta-testing a program, the idea of people walking around with a completely outdated version and no automatic update to tell them that something better is available. So, I put an expiration date.

Please re-download it, I pushed the date back.

-C.