[TUT]Heimdall-restoring kernel(video)

Search This thread

TheExpertNoob

Mar 21, 2009
Moon Base Alpha
Im using heimdall in Ubuntu 10.10. I made this video as an example for anyone having trouble and I've seen a few people asking about heimdall. Also made this cause I soft bricked my phone and flashed the unmodded JK6 3e kernel. :p Its really easy to use. Any questions or comments, feel free to leave them. Ill try to answer best I can. I'm known as FlyingPoo on the TeamWhisky forums/IRC.

Video here

Edit: you can flash just the zImage without putting it in a .tar file. As Benjamin Dobell and some associates over at TeamWhiskey say you CAN flash the files directly. With that said If you download a kernel that is "odin flashable" you can flash it still in the .tar file.

Last edited:

Benjamin Dobell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
Nice tutorial. However I thought I should let you know that you shouldn't tar the zImage, or any files flashed via Heimdall. Actually, until seeing this video I assumed using a tar would soft-brick your phone. However I'd still recommend flashing the files directly.

TheExpertNoob

Mar 21, 2009
Moon Base Alpha
first attempt I did flash the pit and the zImage and it spit out an error (invalid image) so i figured it worked like odin and required the zImage to be in a .tar file. So I tried that and it worked without any issues. Later, i tried again with the zImage and it worked too. may have been a misspelling or syntax error on my part. :D But yes you can flash just the zImage. ill add it to the OP.

Benjamin Dobell

Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
first attempt I did flash the pit and the zImage and it spit out an error (invalid image) so i figured it worked like odin and required the zImage to be in a .tar file. So I tried that and it worked without any issues. Later, i tried again with the zImage and it worked too. may have been a misspelling or syntax error on my part. :D But yes you can flash just the zImage. ill add it to the OP.

Oh one more minor note, the version of Heimdall you were using doesn't actually flash the PIT file either. It just compares the PIT file you specify to the PIT file on the device to ensure they match. However, the release I just made a few hours ago, version 1.1.0, includes support for repartitioning (and hence flashing a specified PIT file to the device).

TheExpertNoob

Mar 21, 2009
Moon Base Alpha
I never knew what the pit file was for anyway ;) just through trial and error I knew that the pit file was required to flash the zImage. Thanks for the extra info. I love the program.

jmatic

Oct 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Thanks for this man... i've been waiting for a tutorial for this... havent watched it yet but plan to when I get time... this would help out a lot if it actually works... so that I dont have to fire up VM evertime i need to odin. :)

TheExpertNoob

Mar 21, 2009
Moon Base Alpha
Im on my nasty windows system at the moment and notice you have a front-end now. So I grabbed the binaries for windows and checked it out. FYI, Norton doesn't like it and it won't even tell me why it doesn't like it. Also have ya done away with the 32 bit version binaries for Debian?

Benjamin Dobell

Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
Im on my nasty windows system at the moment and notice you have a front-end now. So I grabbed the binaries for windows and checked it out. FYI, Norton doesn't like it and it won't even tell me why it doesn't like it.
Hmm, I firmly dislike Norton. If you do manage to work out what it's complaining about please let me know.
Also have ya done away with the 32 bit version binaries for Debian?
No, I'll be adding more Linux packages when I get a chance. Unfortunately it takes over 4 hours to compile Qt so it's not the most efficient process.

TheExpertNoob

Mar 21, 2009
Moon Base Alpha
Hmm, I firmly dislike Norton. If you do manage to work out what it's complaining about please let me know.

So I didnt have the C++ Reditro package installed. installed it. re-downloaded heimdall windows binaries and Norton didn't say a thing about it when I ran it again?!? It may have been cause heimdall was looking for libraries that didnt exist on my computer and Norton's SONAR Protection kicked off because of it?!? LAME Norton.

No, I'll be adding more Linux packages when I get a chance. Unfortunately it takes over 4 hours to compile Qt so it's not the most efficient process.

WOW! thats a long time!

Ill be back on my Linux machine Monday and ill try it out then and possible make a video.