FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

GTab recovery firmware (homebrew and official Viewsonic 1.0.1 & 1.1-based versions)

3,487 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,409

By roebeet, Senior Member on 16th November 2010, 07:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd December 2010, 06:49 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Can someone post recovery command file
The recovery command file is 1 line, so can someone please post what the file should contain. I don't have this file but can create if someone will post what is needed. I know it is named command and starts with somehting like --install, but what else is there?

2nd December 2010, 07:23 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justauser

The recovery command file is 1 line, so can someone please post what the file should contain. I don't have this file but can create if someone will post what is needed. I know it is named command and starts with somehting like --install, but what else is there?

--update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip
2nd December 2010, 08:06 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
thanks
thanks for this. adding this to the first entry of the thread will help users.
3rd December 2010, 03:32 AM |#24  
Flag Palo Alto
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
Need to get rid of Clockwork. Where can I find the nvflash stuff?
4th December 2010, 02:44 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 101

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderdroid

Need to get rid of Clockwork. Where can I find the nvflash stuff?

I first went back to the stock ROM by using Clockwork. Then, to get rid of it, I did the following (on a Windows 7 x64 VM inside VMWare Fusion. I expect it'll work on any version of Windows):
  1. Install Tegra SDK from http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/teg...-developer-sdk
  2. Shutdown the gtablet. Plug in the mini-USB into it and into your computer. Enter APX mode by holding Vol - with Power. (vs. Vol + with Power which goes to recovery). The screen just goes black, so it's kind of hard to tell that is in APX mode.
  3. Install the APX Driver by telling it that the drivers are where you installed the Tegra SDK
  4. Download gtab.apx.tnt.lightnin.102.rar from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=855690 . Unrar it.
  5. Download update-smb_a1002-2967-user.zip
    TnT 1.0.1 from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=842000 . Unzip it.
  6. Copy recovery.img from the TnT 1.0.1 zip file to the tegra SDK install location (i.e. same directory as nvflash.exe and bootloader.bin)
  7. Run the following to copy the stock recovery image over clockwork: nvflash.exe --bl bootloader.bin --download 9 recovery.img

This is what worked for me. My gtablet is going back tomorrow, so unfortunately I probably won't be able to help if this doesn't work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to muness For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift muness Ad-Free
4th December 2010, 03:24 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thumbs up Thank you Roebeet.
Thank you Roebeet.

I didn't know how to do command file and stuff so, I just went to referenced home brew link you mentioned in 1st post, download file from there and reflashed back to TnT and factory reset to erase my info.

Returned tab to Sears, they asked for 15% re-stocking fee, told them g-tab is not full android because it's using g-market which is lack of lot of things compared to regular android market, and they waived re-stocking fee.

Again Thank you Roebeet. You are awesome every way on this g-tab matters and I've enjoyed reading many of your post.

G-tab is nice but I returned it because It's little too big, screen has small viewing angles (I like to share with my wife playing g-tab, youtubes or whatever) and g-market is limited.

I had a lot of fun past 4days of evaluating the g-tab. Have fun guys.
4th December 2010, 04:33 PM |#27  
Flag Birmingham, Alabama

More
So, how do you then delete all your user data?
So, once I recover with this 1.0.1 image, and the OS is back to 'stock' how do I ensure that I haven't left anything on the device, such as anything I downloaded from the market, or any of the gmail account information that I had entered? Also, what about cache for the email client, etc? What do I need to do to make sure all that stuff is gone?

Thanks.

J
4th December 2010, 04:37 PM |#28  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 1,409

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jta

So, once I recover with this 1.0.1 image, and the OS is back to 'stock' how do I ensure that I haven't left anything on the device, such as anything I downloaded from the market, or any of the gmail account information that I had entered? Also, what about cache for the email client, etc? What do I need to do to make sure all that stuff is gone?

Thanks.

J

For all user data, just do a Factory Restore. That's in Settings -- Firmware (EDIT: Settings -- Security). You definitely want to do that before you return / exchange the device.
4th December 2010, 04:48 PM |#29  
Flag Birmingham, Alabama

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roebeet

For all user data, just do a Factory Restore. That's in Settings -- Firmware. You definitely want to do that before you return / exchange the device.

Thanks, that seems to have worked. This thing is going back, I couldn't get comfortable with the size (too big).

I think I will make a post about it, and see what you guys think about this device, compared to others.
4th December 2010, 04:55 PM |#30  
Flag Birmingham, Alabama

More
What folders should exist?
I have updated back to 1.0.1 and have performed a factory restore.

When I look at the SDCARD, I still see remnants of some installed apps (TitaniumBackup, Facebook, etc.)

Also, I see there is a DCIM folder. I don't remember that folder existing when I initially turned on the device.

Can someone give me a quick list of the folders that should exist when this thing is stock?

I would like to delete the following:
data/
DCIM/
download/
.estrongs/
media/

folders. Do they need to exist on the stock device?

Thanks.
J
4th December 2010, 05:23 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jta

I have updated back to 1.0.1 and have performed a factory restore.

When I look at the SDCARD, I still see remnants of some installed apps (TitaniumBackup, Facebook, etc.)

Also, I see there is a DCIM folder. I don't remember that folder existing when I initially turned on the device.

Can someone give me a quick list of the folders that should exist when this thing is stock?

I would like to delete the following:
data/
DCIM/
download/
.estrongs/
media/

folders. Do they need to exist on the stock device?

Thanks.
J

These remnants on /sdcard you can delete safely as long as you're not using the apps they relate to anymore... Factory restore only cleans /data not /sdcard....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)