Slick UI - An Android Homescreen-replacement interface - New video: 'Dock Preview'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ok11

Jun 29, 2010
Tease! lol. When will this be released? any timeframe for its beta release at least?

Every aspect of it, is quite appealing. I think this will be the UI of choice for most people. Others better step their game up if they want to compete with Slick UI :)

Caemgen

Aug 20, 2009
Looks great. Of course useability is going to be visible when touching it really. :)

The only thing I am afraid is that it will not run very smooth on less powerful devices like my HTC Hero. What is your experience so far?

Thanks,

aron

Testing on a Samsung Galaxy S myself, so no worries about speed here.
But the goal is to make it as smooth as possible on every phone. But we won't offer up too much of the eye-candy either... just have to find a good mix of performance and visuals.

My girlfriend uses my old HTC Hero now by the way.
I'll be sure to give it a go on that phone as well and report back.

xerxesz

Sep 11, 2007
Testing on a Samsung Galaxy S myself, so no worries about speed here.
But the goal is to make it as smooth as possible on every phone. But we won't offer up too much of the eye-candy either... just have to find a good mix of performance and visuals.

My girlfriend uses my old HTC Hero now by the way.
I'll be sure to give it a go on that phone as well and report back.

That's great news ;)

Thanks,

aron

chowlala

Jul 24, 2009
I've got a Nexus One to test on if you would like. Pretty sure there won't be any problems.

I'd like to see a new feature in Slick UI.

How about the ability to run off ONE home screen (Of course we could run off with more). Now I know there'll be lots of fire on this one, but let's keep an open mind.

The idea is this: let us run "screens" from the the spinner at the top.

So, say I can add an app to the spinner like the Gmail one, it'll show me stuff underneath it like the screenshot.

But then, I can spin over to a "folder" which contains all my games, then it'll show me kinda like a folder category with all the games I tagged in it > all beneath the spinner (kinda like the gmail screenshot, but think halfscreen app drawer).

Then I can move on over to Productivity, and it'll show me a tagged categorized list of those apps.

Or, I could have a screen with a spinner on top for only games, but I categorize them into the types, RTS, Casual, Cards, etc etc. And it'll show me the list according to how I've categorized the games. Of couse on the user end, it'll be lotsa work, tagging all the apps, etc, but heck that the point of being uber customizable! Making the device truly yours with such a personal touch! =)

Thought I'd throw something into the fray for thoughts.

Hit me up on PM if you'd like me to help beta test or brainstorm for more ideas. Liking the different feel. =) Keep up the awesome work. Looking forward to the release.

Last edited:

SirBrass

Sep 12, 2010
Phoenix
Here's an idea: allowing "pop-up" widgets, that is widget space that can be collapsed or expanded based on gesture or tap. Like a calendar widget that we look at occasionally but could use the space for something else the rest of the time.

Kind of like how fede enabled pop-up bookmarks in LPP.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Caemgen

Aug 20, 2009
Here's an idea: allowing "pop-up" widgets, that is widget space that can be collapsed or expanded based on gesture or tap. Like a calendar widget that we look at occasionally but could use the space for something else the rest of the time.

Kind of like how fede enabled pop-up bookmarks in LPP.

Excellent suggestion and wonderful idea.

bdc_884

Aug 10, 2010
Caracas
Beta tester

jHey! Im @bryanteixeira! Im formally asking to be a beta ta tester just like you told me to on twitter (@wondredroid)! I offer you a moto milestone running 2.1-2.2 im really looking forward to it!

SirBrass

Sep 12, 2010
Phoenix
The idea is to provide a blank canvas that the user can then choose the widget or other homescreen items that would fit in that space, except it would be brought to visual foreground in a kind of semi-transparant window.

A better example is the extended controls app's notification icon. Whatever control toggle layouts are loaded, they are brought up when the notification icon is tapped.

See attached screenshot. :) now imagine this ability for any of your widgets and bindable to the dock or a homescreen icon or what have you :)
44038f5e-d943-811b.jpg

binglut9

Nov 24, 2010
man 37 pages of everyone saying they want to be a beta tester I am sure they don't need all of you filling this forum up with garbage like that we all know you have android phones just be patient and it will be out god diggity damn 38 pages of BS

Caemgen

Aug 20, 2009
man 37 pages of everyone saying they want to be a beta tester I am sure they don't need all of you filling this forum up with garbage like that we all know you have android phones just be patient and it will be out god diggity damn 38 pages of BS

Well they do keep the thread alive. ;)

bsbabcock

Nov 11, 2010
Need more screens?
Note the enhanced and redesigned app-drawer:

Thoughts?

One thought about the visual of the slick wheel.. Just a suggestion up the flag pole... If you visualize the front side of a pie that's cut for serving, maybe make the wheel look like that.. It's just really in changing angles of the lines dividing the wheel sections I guess. Would make it more 3D-ish or realistic looking maybe, with the icon sitting on the section maybe much like sitting on-top of the "pie slice".

Reason I suggest is the current one here is like an attempt at a wheel but is more like a rounded over bar that scrolls.. The angles are off I guess. I like the space saving idea of it though.

OR.. Here's another idea. If the wheel has to leave the upper middle of the home page due to space, how about making it an event pop-up rather than stay-resident on the screen.. So you tap something to pull up the wheel, scroll to show it's "widget" then it fades away. Kind of like the stock screen selector-slider on the droid X in concept.

Both ideas may be useless but thought I'd throw it in. :) Looks great so far though.

bsbabcock

Nov 11, 2010
And someone mentioned keeping it free.. Honestly if there's enough serious value in it, I'm never opposed to spending a few bucks on a seriously useful app that's solid.. So if it turns out that good, blowing away the ADW's and LauncherPro's, I can see a reasonable return on such efforts and skills.

And yeah I still wanna be a beta-guinnea. :D Droid X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    header_xda.png

Follow @SlickUI on Twitter for the latest updates!
    Visit http://www.slickui.com for the official website.

--------------------------------------

Dockbar Preview-video is up!

Note: The dock and assets in this video are outdated already. Take a look at the new screenshots below to see what we have improved.

Update 2: Official website now online!
    Update: Added feature-descriptions.

Introduction

So, what is 'Slick UI'?
    Like other apps, such as LauncherPro or ADW, Slick UI is a Homescreen-replacement Launcher. It will replace your stock homescreen and add in some great new, more functional and aesthetically pleasing features to make the everyday use of your Android-phone more... well, fun!

The goal of this project is to make the Launcher silky smooth, functional and highly customizable.

Sounds great, but how does it look?

UPDATE: Deleted old screenshots and added new below. Notice the enhanced/space-saving 'WonderWheel' and the redesigned app-drawer.
    No more 'pull'. The app-drawer will be full screen. We needed this space to include the full featureset. A full screen app-drawer also opens up a lot of possibilities for eye-candy/animation.

Let us know what you think!

preview_slick_ui.jpg

How far along is the project?

As you can see in the video about our dockbar, we have made some decent progress on the development. Things are going very well. But remember; we're a small team, so we can only do so much in our spare time.

In the future, we might require some testers to report back on bugs etc, but for now I'd like you to just tell us how you think it looks and let us know what features you would like to see implemented. Please stop asking for the Beta through PM's.

Currently announced features

Feature: Innovative app-drawer - videodemo demo coming later
    We're aiming to make the app-drawer the most powerful ever seen in an Android Launcher. Some of the features will be:
    • Support for tags. Tag your apps, choose a tag-color and quickly access all apps assigned to that tag just by tapping on a shortcut.
    • Side-swiping withing the drawer. By default, the app-drawer will show all apps on your phone (there will be an option to hide certain apps). Swipe right to browse through your tags, swipe left to access the 'Recent apps', 'Most popular apps' and 'Memory info' (Number of apps installed, available memory etc). A great example of this can be found in Tweetdeck.
    • Re-arrange your apps within these tag-'columns' by holding an icon and move it over the grid. Other apps will 'automagically' move out of the way.

Feature: Customizable dock
    Like in Launcher Pro, there will be a custom dock at the bottom of your screen in which you can drag-and-drop your shortcuts. You can either directly drag-and-drop them from the homescreen, as well as from your app-drawer. This will not be limited to applications. Any kind of shortcut can be dropped into the dock, such as contacts, bookmarks and even 'tags'. Clicking on a tag will automatically open the app-drawer and swipe to the appropiate tag-'column'.

Feature: Customizable content-wheel (WonderWheel)
    Coming soon. Currently working on this.

Also, you can have up to seven homescreens, and we're aiming to add in the popular 'birds eye view' feature as well, making it easy to quickly navigate to the desired homescreen and organize the order in which they are displayed.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: "Please do folders in Slick UI!"
    A: There will be folders in Slick UI. Both our own interpretation and Android native folders will be supported.

Q: "Can I be a Beta tester?"
    A: Yes, but right now, we're far from providing you with a working code. When we feel confident in sending out Betacodes, there will be a seperate Beta sign-up page which you will be informed about through XDA and the official Twitter-account for Slick UI.

Q: "Do you have a releasedate?"
    A: Currently, we dot not have a releasedate. The project is still in it's very early stages.

If you want to help us out, because you have mad coding skills and experience with Android, be sure to send me a PM.
    I'll be doing most of the graphics, but if you feel like helping out with things like icons or other stuff, just let me know!

Note: I cannot respond to all private messages at XDA, as there are too many coming in right now. I appreciate all the feedback and Beta help offerings, but I have over 100 requests already.
    Don't worry, if your PM is important, I will get back at you ASAP.
    Hi Guys,

As this is my first post I figured a quick introduction was in order. My name is Jim. I'm a professional Software Engineer, husband, father of 3, basketball coach and volunteer with the cub scouts. In the special interest of this thread I'm also the principle developer behind Slick UI. In other words I wear many hats. As you have likely noticed not much as been happening on the Slick UI front as of late. Slick UI development is done in my spare time and I enjoy every moment of it. Unfortunately the past 6 weeks have been exceptionally busy (holidays, school activities, 80+ hour work weeks, purchasing a home etc) and I simply have not had adequate spare time to dedicate to developing Slick UI. Things are starting to get back to normal however and development of Slick UI is starting to ramp back up. Stay tuned for future updates as work on the drawer organizational tags has begun.
    Thread closed until some sort of product is available. No "coming soon" threads. This has been allowed open much too long without any real offerings of progress.
    I hear ya' - it does look awesome. I just wish whomever is heading up the project would at least inform us how testing is going or not going etc. I'm still hopeful.

Quick update: We're currently still very busy with developing Slick UI, but as we also have our social lives and day jobs, things aren't going as fast as we would like them to go.

Don't worry, a new video and even a pre-alpha build is right around the corner.
    I didn't know there might be the unprofessional SE type. ;) But I guess there are...

Then you don't work in the industry ;)