[How to] Gmail and the Android Market

Search This thread

dtkav

Dec 10, 2010
Thanks a bunch for the tutorial!

I tried to do this from a fresh re-flash (+root) and youtube always seems to crash upon opening. I installed it with adb. any ideas why this might be?

edit: tried again from root.explorer -- worked great :)

Last edited:

cookme

Dec 10, 2010
When I do this it tells me:

You cannot paste here because the file system is read only

install "Superuser" app and reboot. The next time Root Explorer starts you will get a prompt for superuser access. Search for "NookColor Installing su and the Superuser app" for more instructions.

msid

Dec 1, 2010
Working for me now. I had to set permissions on the apps in the /system/app folder once I moved them. Rebooted, youtube crashed, uninstalled/reinstalled youtube and logged in. After another reboot Gmail and Market are working.

moovius

Sep 21, 2007
Root Explorer

So to install Root Explorer, I have to install App2SD and Busybox too?

pstein2

Apr 6, 2008
Houston
Okay I have it where system will r/w but when I copy and paste the files it says the files are copying but then they don't copy over.

moovius

Sep 21, 2007
Install Youtube App. Menu->My Channel. Log in with gmail account.

Now type these 3 commands:

After this point you are connecting the nook to your computer and typing these in from the terminal, correct?

I think the guide could use some clarification such as "Now from your computer enter this command into terminal". Just to noob-proof things.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS METHOD IS NOW OUTDATED.
    For everyone that is starting from scratch with a wiped NookColor, I have made a linux script available that will do everything for you. This includes enabling apk installs on the device, live wallpapers, multitouch, etc. It will also download and install YouTube, Gmail, and the Market. It also changes the Market fingerprint to that of a Droid Eris on Verizon so you can see protected apps. It does not require use of the Android Emulator to generate an AndroidId as this is done automatically thanks to clockworx. All it does require is that you be nootered and have working Superuser.

Thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=871210

DISCLAIMER:
    These steps are what worked for me and some may not even be required. If this guide needs any clarification, post a reply and I will do my best to update it. I'm 99% certain all the steps are here. :D

If you have already tried to get the Market or other Gapps working, etc then it is very likely you will have to do a full factory reset before this will work for you. I have no idea why, but if these steps don't work I would try that first.
    In my experience the factory reset is two steps:

8 failed boots restores the /system partition. You can easily trigger this reset without 8 failed boots by running this command from a Linux or Mac OSX command line:
    echo -n -e "\008\000\000\000" > /tmp/foo; adb push /tmp/foo /rom/devconf/BootCnt; adb reboot
    Afterwards:

Booting while holding power+volumeup+nook button restores /data

I had to do both of these steps in this order to get a full reset on the device.

Required:
    nc_gapps.zip
    system.img for AVD
    Youtube for Eclaire

Optional:
    Root Explorer really speeds this up. If you have it, I recommend using it as this tutorial is written with it in mind.

* Copy nc_gapps.zip onto the 4gb internal partition of the NC, /media/
    * Unmount both the internal partition and the SD card (if applicable) from within your OS but leave the USB cable connected.
    * Using a command prompt on your OS, navigate to android-sdk/tools (or platform-tools in newer SDK) and type the following:
    adb shell
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system <-----This can be also done by going to /system/ in Root Explorer and clicking "Mount R/W" at the top
    cd /media
    miniunz -x nc_gapps.zip -d /system/ <-----Overwrite [A]ll if prompted!
    echo "ro.config.nocheckin=no" >> /system/build.prop
    exit
    * Leave this command prompt open, we will need it in a minute!

* Install Youtube App. If you have a previous version installed it's best to use Titanium Backup to wipe it's data then uninstall.
    * Run Youtube. Press Menu->My Channel. Log in with Gmail account. If you get the authentication error here you can try rebooting and wiping Youtube data again with Titanium Backup.
    * Reboot NC

After reboot:
    * Using the command prompt on your OS from before, type:
    adb pull /data/system/packages.xml

*In this file find the string "uid.system". You should find a line that looks like:

<shared-user name="android.uid.system" userId="1000">

Remove the 3 lines beneath this one. They should look similar to:
    <sigs count="n">
    <cert index="n" />
    </sigs>

n is an integer that may be different for everyone. After removing these lines, the line immediately after "<shared-user...>" should be "<perms>"

Save.

* Using the command prompt on your OS:
    adb push packages.xml /data/system/

Reboot NC and disconnect USB.

Gmail should work but running the Market should load the TOS after which you will get a server error. This is caused by our device not having a valid androidId. Let's generate a valid androidId using the AVD emulator.

Create a new AVD for Android 2.1-API Level 7 using these settings:

SD Card Size: 100M
    Skin: Built-in: Default (HVGA)
    Hardware Properties:
    Abstracted LCD Density: 160
    Touch-screen support: yes
    Device RAM size: 1024

Once the AVD is in your list, click on it and then click Details on the right hand side. Note the path and move the system.img you downloaded in that directory.

Start the AVD. When prompted, sign in with your existing Gmail credentials. Use CTRL+F11 to slide the keyboard in and out when prompted.

Run this command to get the androidId from the emulator:

adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/accounts.db "select * from meta";

It's the long number after androidId|, SAVE IT!

Now, connect your NC back to USB.

On the third command below, be sure to replace ANDROID_ID_FROM_EMULATOR with the number I just told you to save.
    adb pull /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db
    sqlite3 gls.db
    update meta set intvalue='ANDROID_ID_FROM_EMULATOR' where name='androidId';
    .q
    adb push gls.db /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/

Reboot NC
    Well, that was easy :p

Here's a link to my Non-ugly market hack for the WPDN, ported over to the Nook. It will allow you to get an Android ID on your own, no need for an emulator. Tested and working.

To install, just drop this framework.jar into the /framework folder that you copy over with the Google Apps. (or manually push over to /system/framework/ if you wish.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1wb78ollpb1bd78
    Before doing the androidID stuff, Gmail is supposed to work? It doesn't. Just flashed for a sec and goes back to home screen

Also, there is no Market icon available. Am I supposed to install Vending.apk after putting it in /system/app?

EDIT: Youtube now doesn't work either...

EDIT2: Youtube works after an uninstall/reinstall, and I can sign in. Gmail still doesn't work and no market icon
    Same here...
    When I do this it tells me:

You cannot paste here because the file system is read only

You have to select mount button at the top of the page in root explorer. This makes the folder data writable.
    I have tried several times using the nookdev instruction set as well as the one posted on this forum on page 1 and I have had similar problems to ones described. One problem is that after logging into Youtube, I get a half a page of videos and 401 error. Gmail shows an account but fails to show email saying that it needs to be synced but this fails. Later in the process, when starting Market, it gives me the "Server error...". Tonight I decided to try to login into Youtube via my computer (something that I have never done despite have a Google account) and I am unable to log into Youtube as it brings up a screen saying that I have no such account (gmail, googledocs all works fine). Is this possibly contributing to these errors? Anyone else confirm this?
    The Nook devs instructions are pretty sound as I was pretty much following line by line last night and got gmail and the market to work.. Are you making sure to edit the XML in a program other than notepad? That tripped me up initially on the first MM post. Once you log into Youtube there will be a bunch of garbled code and the server message should appear. This should be a good sign to proceed to the next step. Also, make sure to select (all) during the CMD code sections of the steps.. I selected yes on the first go around and just re-pasted the code a second time. Good luck!