windows 95 on HD2 (for real)

612 posts
Thanks Meter: 294

By ozkaya, Senior Member on 24th February 2010, 09:42 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th December 2010, 07:06 AM |#371  
Thanks Meter: 138

More
I had trouble again with mouse behaviour on qemu folder I tried to include. Another few hours without sleep but it is finished and I try to upload on mega. I already tried to upload on the xda-developers.ch account but it allows only 60 mb and I have about 202 mb. I hope mega upload will work.

It is a complete Windows 98 setup(only web tv is not installed) with some important updates, drivers installed for qemu devices, some settings optimized for touch input, a virtual keyboard, a virtual mouse helper, some bling settings, some little programs to play with and "Radix" demo to show some fast 3D-Frames on a very old game(trigger escape to exit).
Try screensavers and solitaire ;)

Directx is not installed because early versions are not downwards compatible and could not be removed easy so you could install the directx version you will need. I would suggest directx 9.0c.

You could use additional hdd, cdrom or floppy images to install software. You could also boot this on qemu desktop to get online if you need updates or something like that.

It includes a qemu version optimized for this image, very fast with a nice UI and usefull toolbars, I hope it is easy to install and will work for all.

Just follow the steps 1-5 in the folders.

Memory is set to 192 mb, if it does not start try to reboot phone first or set mb to 128. For me it works nice with up to 220 mb and I copy my sd card full only about 50 mb free so qemu could not create big swap file and is running faster in ram. Sometimes it does not start with "could not allocate memory" message but after rebooting HD2 it works nice again.

Some software is not running on this because a qemu bug. I noticed this on calmira xp and 3D Studio Max 3.1. If you have trouble running software that should run on Win98 use the image with trukkys qemu version. It runs everything I tested. But it is slower and without menu and issues on toolbar keycodes so only use it if you hve problems.

I will send links as soon image is up, hope it will be up soon before I fall into sleep.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aSiD1712 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aSiD1712 Ad-Free
13th December 2010, 07:19 AM |#372  

More
Multitouch zoom is working. Very helpfull for input or clicking issues but slowing down framerate.

Tap short to move mouse pointer to finger.
Tap long for left click. Double click is set to slowest speed and is possible, also you can double click on mouse button on toolbar or press enter on toolbar.
Hold and drag for "drag and drop".
Use toolbar for right click.

Use AE-Buttons to set up some hardware buttons for use in qemu. Bluetooth input works also fine.

Upload is nearly finished but not verified and I have no account, hope this will work
13th December 2010, 07:42 AM |#373  

More
Upload is finished and links are send.

Pm me or ask here for link. Sorry if I forgot. I hope other thread members will send links or re-upload too if I am not there.
This is without any licens and I am not the owner.

Hope it will work for all, cheers!
13th December 2010, 02:37 PM |#374  
Thanks Meter: 346

Donate to Me
More
Is anyone able to get aSiD1712 Win98 Version to run? Had to copy the image under the following folder structure /QEMU/Emul/Win98/C98.img and adjust cmdline.txt to

-tb-size
-emul
\Storage Card\QEMU\Emul\Win98

This way it found the image in the Luncher but I was not able to get past that yet. Anyone else with more luck?

Edit: Two seconds later the solution was clear. Copy emul_cmdline.txt also into the Win98 folder. Then it works.
13th December 2010, 02:44 PM |#375  

More
it should work without that only following the steps.

if there is just -emul the emul folder is in same dir as qemu and there is no need to change storage card entrys to other language also.

But is it running for you?
13th December 2010, 02:54 PM |#376  
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Great! It works just fine. But how can i reach the files in my storage card from windows? I am trying to run games.
13th December 2010, 03:27 PM |#377  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSiD1712

it should work without that only following the steps.

if there is just -emul the emul folder is in same dir as qemu and there is no need to change storage card entrys to other language also.

But is it running for you?

Its running but if I follow the instructions the image will not show up. All I have to do then copy it to the folder as described above and it will show up right away and I can Launch it. But it works none the less for me also. Thank you very much for the leg work. I guess I have to do my own now. Will make a Video in a minute but first, one more try your way. Since you and baybenbey is reporting it to work just fine in the root of QEMU.
13th December 2010, 04:03 PM |#378  
Thanks Meter: 145

More
whens someone gonna run xp on it then
13th December 2010, 06:25 PM |#379  

More
swiss420 what do you mean with "show up", is it shown in launcher?

I dont userd launcher, just click on qemu.exe
I had issues on mouse behaviour in Win98 if I did it otherways.
The issue is the mouse is hard to move without dragging.
This issue was even if I startet qemu.exe form a link instead starting direct the qemu.exe. Very strange and I could not find the reason but the way installing the cab and copy/replace the files into qemu dir mouse behaviour is fine in windows. Short tap to move long tap to click. If you have other problems with this try again my way.
13th December 2010, 07:15 PM |#380  

More
baybenbey you can not access your storage card from emulation host.

Open the virtual hdd image "c98.img" with winimage on desktop pc and insert files you need.

If you need more storage you can clone the image, rename the clone to d.img by example and add the line
-hdb d.img
to emul_cmdline.txt in qemu folder. Also you can create new, bigger images with bochs image creation tool or add cdrom image files to machine with -cdrom xy.img.
13th December 2010, 07:58 PM |#381  

Donate to Me
More
It starts fine with qemu.exe. For qemu_launcher.exe it has to be in the previous mentioned directory. If I would have followed your instructions it would have worked right away. Sorry for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 9.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	463417  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)