[How to] Gmail and the Android Market

Search This thread
Jun 9, 2010
I have tried several times using the nookdev instruction set as well as the one posted on this forum on page 1 and I have had similar problems to ones described. One problem is that after logging into Youtube, I get a half a page of videos and 401 error. Gmail shows an account but fails to show email saying that it needs to be synced but this fails. Later in the process, when starting Market, it gives me the "Server error...". Tonight I decided to try to login into Youtube via my computer (something that I have never done despite have a Google account) and I am unable to log into Youtube as it brings up a screen saying that I have no such account (gmail, googledocs all works fine). Is this possibly contributing to these errors? Anyone else confirm this?
**Update: After going through the instructions again, marketplace and gmail working. I think that I may have been deleting the wrong line in packages.xml (I simply search for "uid" and deleting the lines below it but now in retrospect, there are several instances in program.xml of "android.uid...." which look similar but obviously are not the same. Thanks for the help as well as the hard work of developing the nook into a respectable tablet.

Last edited:

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area
I have tried several times using the nookdev instruction set as well as the one posted on this forum on page 1 and I have had similar problems to ones described. One problem is that after logging into Youtube, I get a half a page of videos and 401 error. Gmail shows an account but fails to show email saying that it needs to be synced but this fails. Later in the process, when starting Market, it gives me the "Server error...". Tonight I decided to try to login into Youtube via my computer (something that I have never done despite have a Google account) and I am unable to log into Youtube as it brings up a screen saying that I have no such account (gmail, googledocs all works fine). Is this possibly contributing to these errors? Anyone else confirm this?
The Nook devs instructions are pretty sound as I was pretty much following line by line last night and got gmail and the market to work.. Are you making sure to edit the XML in a program other than notepad? That tripped me up initially on the first MM post. Once you log into Youtube there will be a bunch of garbled code and the server message should appear. This should be a good sign to proceed to the next step. Also, make sure to select (all) during the CMD code sections of the steps.. I selected yes on the first go around and just re-pasted the code a second time. Good luck!

Reactions: YertletheTurtle

greenmky

Aug 4, 2010
Midland, MI
I used Mistar Muffin's script from a fresh-wiped/nootered/z4rooted starting point and I'm up and running with GMail, Market, Google Voice and YouTube. Works like a charm.

I have no idea what the issue was before but, it's a moot point now.

Thanks for your help anyway!

I haven't used z4root yet. This is about the only thing I haven't tried. But Philosophy757 did it and he's having the exact same issue as I am.

Last edited:

thetoady

Mar 7, 2008
I have it working, but youtube only works for a single boot, once I reboot, youtube stops working and needs to be reinstalled. very annoying.

greenmky

Aug 4, 2010
Midland, MI
I give up for now. I see someone else with the same exact error about "server unavailable" in the autoscript thread.

I'll stick with APKs for now until this method gets all of the bugs worked out. Good luck devs!

webvan

May 20, 2008
Up and running here thanks to the automated script, but I have one problem, hitting "Account Settings" in Gmail (trying to remove one of the accounts) crashes my Nook, anyone else have that problem?

greenmky

Aug 4, 2010
Midland, MI
I tried autonooter 0.1 and it gave me the exact same results (server unavailable).

I'm serious that there is something about this process that isn't working for some of us. Maybe how it is obtaining our google account info or something?

Is there a log I can pull that would be helpful to the devs?

skunkiechris

Nov 19, 2007
Unable to access some protected apps

Edit: The apps in question have shown up. Now I recall someone posting it may take a while... :)

I've modified my build.prop as noted, and double checked that it took by re-pulling after the update. The line in question does show:

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ESE81/29593:user/release-keys

However - I cannot see some apps, such as SlingPlayer, NY Times, and Fandango. Any thoughts? I enabled the market using the auto-nooter-01 method, and everything else is working perfectly.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ddenson

Mar 21, 2010
New York
I've modified my build.prop as noted, and double checked that it took by re-pulling after the update. The line in question does show:

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ESE81/29593:user/release-keys

However - I cannot see some apps, such as SlingPlayer, NY Times, and Fandango. Any thoughts? I enabled the market using the auto-nooter-01 method, and everything else is working perfectly.

Thanks!

I had the same problem yesterday, and was told that it may take overnight as the market cache updates on its own every 24 hours or so. This morning, I still couldn't see SlingPlayer, etc., but when I updated to the new version of the market, all was well. What I actually did was backup and delete Vending.apk from /system/app using root explorer and then copied the new Vending.apk into /system/app, fixed the permissions and closed root explorer. When I ran the market, the apps that previously weren't showing up were there...

bruceleroyjr

Feb 23, 2010
Is the Android Market install worth it?

Is installing this Market hack worth it? I've been monitoring this thread and I see some people not successful. I've been sideloading all my apps, but I'm curious to see if it's worth the time to get the Android Market installed? I don't want to start and mess up and then have to re-flash my Nook Color back to stock.

BTW, are there any side effects of having the market installed on your Nook? I read earlier that someone could not access the B&N Store after they installed the market and changed their build.prop. Is this true? Just checking before I take the leap forward and apply this market modification to my Nook Color. Thank you =)

greenmky

Aug 4, 2010
Midland, MI
An update to my posts in this older thread, I got the market working with autonooter 0.1 (which failed to get the market going) and then the Autonook_0.8.

Parf2700

Dec 11, 2010
Denver
I got the server unavailable error the first time through too. The next time using nooter.2 and autonook 0.7, I made it through successfully by touching the robot, skipping 2 or 3 times until the market app closes, and then logging in to Youtube. Then when you go back to market it just works.

It is worth it to those of us who don't have an android phone. Not having access to ANY market just sucks. Now I got LogMeIn Ignition installed, and everything else I wanted!

Last edited:

Pinesal

Jan 28, 2009
I am getting tired of not finding app in the market that I can find on my DROID. Will it work to spoof the DROID instead of the Droid Eris?

Has anyone done it? If so can you tell me how?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS METHOD IS NOW OUTDATED.
    For everyone that is starting from scratch with a wiped NookColor, I have made a linux script available that will do everything for you. This includes enabling apk installs on the device, live wallpapers, multitouch, etc. It will also download and install YouTube, Gmail, and the Market. It also changes the Market fingerprint to that of a Droid Eris on Verizon so you can see protected apps. It does not require use of the Android Emulator to generate an AndroidId as this is done automatically thanks to clockworx. All it does require is that you be nootered and have working Superuser.

Thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=871210

DISCLAIMER:
    These steps are what worked for me and some may not even be required. If this guide needs any clarification, post a reply and I will do my best to update it. I'm 99% certain all the steps are here. :D

If you have already tried to get the Market or other Gapps working, etc then it is very likely you will have to do a full factory reset before this will work for you. I have no idea why, but if these steps don't work I would try that first.
    In my experience the factory reset is two steps:

8 failed boots restores the /system partition. You can easily trigger this reset without 8 failed boots by running this command from a Linux or Mac OSX command line:
    echo -n -e "\008\000\000\000" > /tmp/foo; adb push /tmp/foo /rom/devconf/BootCnt; adb reboot
    Afterwards:

Booting while holding power+volumeup+nook button restores /data

I had to do both of these steps in this order to get a full reset on the device.

Required:
    nc_gapps.zip
    system.img for AVD
    Youtube for Eclaire

Optional:
    Root Explorer really speeds this up. If you have it, I recommend using it as this tutorial is written with it in mind.

* Copy nc_gapps.zip onto the 4gb internal partition of the NC, /media/
    * Unmount both the internal partition and the SD card (if applicable) from within your OS but leave the USB cable connected.
    * Using a command prompt on your OS, navigate to android-sdk/tools (or platform-tools in newer SDK) and type the following:
    adb shell
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system <-----This can be also done by going to /system/ in Root Explorer and clicking "Mount R/W" at the top
    cd /media
    miniunz -x nc_gapps.zip -d /system/ <-----Overwrite [A]ll if prompted!
    echo "ro.config.nocheckin=no" >> /system/build.prop
    exit
    * Leave this command prompt open, we will need it in a minute!

* Install Youtube App. If you have a previous version installed it's best to use Titanium Backup to wipe it's data then uninstall.
    * Run Youtube. Press Menu->My Channel. Log in with Gmail account. If you get the authentication error here you can try rebooting and wiping Youtube data again with Titanium Backup.
    * Reboot NC

After reboot:
    * Using the command prompt on your OS from before, type:
    adb pull /data/system/packages.xml

*In this file find the string "uid.system". You should find a line that looks like:

<shared-user name="android.uid.system" userId="1000">

Remove the 3 lines beneath this one. They should look similar to:
    <sigs count="n">
    <cert index="n" />
    </sigs>

n is an integer that may be different for everyone. After removing these lines, the line immediately after "<shared-user...>" should be "<perms>"

Save.

* Using the command prompt on your OS:
    adb push packages.xml /data/system/

Reboot NC and disconnect USB.

Gmail should work but running the Market should load the TOS after which you will get a server error. This is caused by our device not having a valid androidId. Let's generate a valid androidId using the AVD emulator.

Create a new AVD for Android 2.1-API Level 7 using these settings:

SD Card Size: 100M
    Skin: Built-in: Default (HVGA)
    Hardware Properties:
    Abstracted LCD Density: 160
    Touch-screen support: yes
    Device RAM size: 1024

Once the AVD is in your list, click on it and then click Details on the right hand side. Note the path and move the system.img you downloaded in that directory.

Start the AVD. When prompted, sign in with your existing Gmail credentials. Use CTRL+F11 to slide the keyboard in and out when prompted.

Run this command to get the androidId from the emulator:

adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/accounts.db "select * from meta";

It's the long number after androidId|, SAVE IT!

Now, connect your NC back to USB.

On the third command below, be sure to replace ANDROID_ID_FROM_EMULATOR with the number I just told you to save.
    adb pull /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db
    sqlite3 gls.db
    update meta set intvalue='ANDROID_ID_FROM_EMULATOR' where name='androidId';
    .q
    adb push gls.db /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/

Reboot NC
    Well, that was easy :p

Here's a link to my Non-ugly market hack for the WPDN, ported over to the Nook. It will allow you to get an Android ID on your own, no need for an emulator. Tested and working.

To install, just drop this framework.jar into the /framework folder that you copy over with the Google Apps. (or manually push over to /system/framework/ if you wish.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1wb78ollpb1bd78
    Before doing the androidID stuff, Gmail is supposed to work? It doesn't. Just flashed for a sec and goes back to home screen

Also, there is no Market icon available. Am I supposed to install Vending.apk after putting it in /system/app?

EDIT: Youtube now doesn't work either...

EDIT2: Youtube works after an uninstall/reinstall, and I can sign in. Gmail still doesn't work and no market icon
    Same here...
    When I do this it tells me:

You cannot paste here because the file system is read only

You have to select mount button at the top of the page in root explorer. This makes the folder data writable.
    The Nook devs instructions are pretty sound as I was pretty much following line by line last night and got gmail and the market to work.. Are you making sure to edit the XML in a program other than notepad? That tripped me up initially on the first MM post. Once you log into Youtube there will be a bunch of garbled code and the server message should appear. This should be a good sign to proceed to the next step. Also, make sure to select (all) during the CMD code sections of the steps.. I selected yes on the first go around and just re-pasted the code a second time. Good luck!