[STICKY][FAQ] Viewsonic G-Tablet ROMs Frequently Asked Questions (READ THIS FIRST)

Search This thread

ehunyadi

Jun 17, 2010
Houston, TX
Here are some frequently asked questions about the G-Tablet. Where there are specific answers based on ROM, the ROM is listed prior to the answer.

How do I install Clockworkmod?
See Step 1 of THIS POST
OR watch THIS VIDEO

How do I boot into Clockworkmod?
With the device completely off (and not asleep/suspended), press the + volume button and the power button until the device turns on. If it is successfully booting into Clockworkmod, you will see a message at the top left of the screen saying booting recovery image.

How do I perform a wipe data/factory reset?
With Clockworkmod, select the third option in the menu "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Home key (second button down on the right side of the gTablet in landscape view). Then, confirm wipe by selecting "Yes - wipe data/factory reset" and press the Home key again.

How do I clear the cache?
With Clockworkmod, select the fourth option in the menu "wipe cache partition" and press the Home key (second button down on the right side of the gTablet in landscape view). Then, confirm wipe by selecting "Yes - Wipe Cache" and press the Home key again.

How do I install VEGAn-TAB/TnT Lite/Cyanogenmod?
See the very first post of THIS THREAD

Where can I find the different ROMs for the G-Tablet?
1) Stock by Viewsonic
2) Stock + Performance Pack by rothnic
3) Tnt Lite 4.1 by Roebeet
4) VEGAn-TAB beta 5.1 by gojimi, Roebeet and Rothic
5) Zpad Clean 3.0 by rothnic
6) CyanogenMod 6.1 Beta4 by bekriebel
7) CyanogenMod 7.0 RC0 beta3 by bittrix
8) Tnt G-Harmony-Gingerbread Elements by tjohnsonjr
9) Plus the great kernel enhancement by clemsyn.

Keyboard and Mouse Support
VEGAn-TAB: Yes; supports an external keyboard and mouse, but it is picky. I have tested three keyboards; only one worked (MS Natural Keyboard). The MS Arc and an old Compaq keyboard did not. All mouses tested worked fine (both wireless and wired).
TnT-Lite: In testing; will update when testing complete.
Cyanogenmod 6.1b4: Yes; According to iammuze, keyboard and mouse both work.

Wallpaper blurry
Some have pointed to applications that can possibly fix this (Wallpaper Set & Save, MultiPicture Live Wallpaper) but I have had limited success with both of these. A bit of experimenting with different wallpapers will yield a satisfactory wallpaper image until this is cleared up at a later time.

Screen resolution in landscape (horizontal) mode
1024 x 600. Remember that if you're making wallpaper, when using the G-Tab in portrait mode (vertically) will make the wallpaper shrink and there will be black bars on top and below the image. Best image size: 1024 x 1024.

How do I get a fully working Marketplace?
See Step 3 of THIS POST

Is there a difference between the marketplace that comes with most G-Tablet ROM builds or the new "improved" market?
The only difference is the appearance. In functionality, it is the same. The market hack is still required for the new improved marketplace (and reports are that it often takes more tries to make work than the standard market).

Problems with acore FC's
The problem is a corrupt contacts sqlite database. As the referenced post says, you'll be able to tell if thats the problem when there is a .db-journal file in the folder. The folder is /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/ *Note* this is not the data folder in sdcard, but the data folder in root (/).

Just delete the databases folder in /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts and restart. The contacts database will be rebuilt and re-synced.

Also, see THIS THREAD/FAQ

Why do I keep seeing repartitioning as a solution to install problems?
Because Viewsonic didn't partition the G-Tablets in a way that Android likes to live on. By repartitioning, Android feels happier and many issues/problems are resolved.

What is the recommended repartition ratio?
2GB/0MB is STRONGLY recommended for TnT Lite 3.00+
2GB/256MB is considered the default setup
4GB/256MB is used by many people, but see the aforementioned caveat regarding TnT Lite.

Why won't one of the devs answer my question/post?
Because they:

1. Have day jobs.
2. Are busy coding and fixing the next release of VEGAn-TAB.
3. Have seen your question 23 times already in this thread: the search function is your friend.
4. Are not being paid to read forums and go through 100's of posts, many of which ask the same question (although they do this out of the kindness of their hearts thankfully!!!).

Who are the devs working on the G-Tablet
VEGAn-TAB: Gojimi, Rothnic, and Roebeet
TnT-Lite: Roebeet
Cyanogenmod 6.1b4: bekriebel

I can't get X to work on my G-Tab. Can you fix it? (where x = desired ROM)
Maybe. Maybe not. Currently, VEGAn-TAB is in Beta which means that it's still in testing. While it may be stable and usable for most people, it doesn't mean that it will be completely stable for you. If you have problems, post them and be happy knowing that you're helping the community at-large. Some problems may not be reproducible, however. In that case, it may be a matter of a corrupt install, conflict with previous install, cache or data issue, etc.

Do the dev's accept donations for their work?
Some do; others don't. If you see a donate button on their profile, feel free. If not, they don't accept them.

How to get the stock VEGAn-TAB wallpaper without the letters?
See attached image in 1024 x 1024.

Attachments

• wouldyou1.jpg
    wouldyou1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3,444
Last edited:

ehunyadi

Jun 17, 2010
Houston, TX
gTablet Recovery Firmware Images (Official Viewsonic Images) Courtesy of Roebeet

TnT 3316 recovery ROM, dated 12/19 and supplied by Viewsonic / TnT. Link: http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/...-3316-user.zip
Alternate link: http://www.mediafire.com/?p9o52540baa5vfg
md5sum: 1333e22b6d802096d3c63757680777f0

TnT 3053 recovery ROM, dated 12/10 and supplied by Viewsonic / TnT. Link: http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/...-3053-user.zip
Alternate link: http://www.mediafire.com/?qy92jzoz8upy8xa
md5sum: 7b800e409b5324f2c69e7ba6f84eab97

TnT 2967 recovery ROM, dated 11/22 and supplied by Viewsonic / TnT. Link: http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/...-2967-user.zip
Alternate Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?99eb11cqhvrkkc7
md5sum: 43eb0358db25b492751b1b0a71568c51

These were grabbed from over-the-air updates. They are full recovery images that wipes everything except the user data.

To use this with a vanilla recovery, you need to rename the file to update.zip, copy it to the root of /sdcard, and also create a recovery folder with a file called "command" (see the 1.00 release for that file). When you run recovery, the command file will direct recovery to run the update.zip to update the system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1.0.0 homebrew link: http://forum.tegratab.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

This was developed by the user community to allow you to flash back to a vanilla setup, in case something goes wrong with a mod or if you want to return the item. This is the ORIGINAL firmware of the device, from early November.

Last edited:

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Great FAQ!

"Why won't one of the devs answer my question/post?" is so true. I scan this forum daily, but there is no way to keep up with all the questions that pop up (especially once it's back more than 2 pages). If you really need me, PM me - at least I'll eventually see the question. But, keep in mind that I get more PM's than you might realize, so it could take me some time to respond.

Last edited:

ehunyadi

Jun 17, 2010
Houston, TX

@ehunyadi as Robeet said Great FAQ. This will definitely help alot of people.

Now I just need to find free time at home to test out the vegan ROM.

Maybe this should be a sticky?

Thanks, guys. :eek:

I tried to change the title of this thread to encompass all flavors of G-Tab ROMs but I think only a mod can do that.

I am going to start including info about all the different ROMs in here as well to help keep things simple in regards to finding the FAQ's in one place. This SHOULD help reduce the questions a bit. At least that's my hope.

Reactions: GeneralSpecific

ssmithri

May 16, 2005
Because Viewsonic didn't partition the G-Tablets in a way that Android likes to live on. By repartitioning, Android feels happier and many issues/problems are resolved.

Any chance of getting an explanation / step by step of how to partition?

butchconner

Nov 26, 2010
Northwest Louisiana
ehunyadi,

I forgot about this thread, but you may want to see my thread up higher about a site I found which offers a .pdf of the Advent Vega manual and some software for those capable of working with it.

The manual explains operation of much of the ROM interface.

http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/

Oops, I had the link in memory and so I just pasted it in for you to look at.

Rev

Alpha06

Dec 12, 2010
I'd like to know/see in the faq what in the SDCARD folder is safe to delete

or how to do a complete wipe

and: Where do my installed applications go?

Last edited:

hitekredneck

Aug 7, 2009
My Grass Is Blue
How do I install VEGAn-TAB?

OK, I am a n00b to the Gtab scene. I do read the first post 99.9% of the time, but when the first post leads me to an incorrect first post about how to install, I must make mention of that fact. The first post mentioned does not have any instructions for installing. Is there a step by step tutorial for this to be found?

TIA ..... HTR

comhack

Mar 8, 2010
Pale Blue Dot
www.comhack.com
I see you added the link to the default wallpaper without the branding but what is the location of the default Vegan wallpaper or at least a link to it? I changed my wallpaper and now would like to revert but do not know the location. Thanks a lot.

ehunyadi

Jun 17, 2010
Houston, TX
I see you added the link to the default wallpaper without the branding but what is the location of the default Vegan wallpaper or at least a link to it? I changed my wallpaper and now would like to revert but do not know the location. Thanks a lot.

Once you change it from the default, there's no known way to go back right now.

Edited to add: You can always use the image an image that is identical to what VEGAn-TAB comes with stock, but this has to be downloaded and selected from gallery/filesystem vs going back to the default wallpaper.

Last edited:

ehunyadi

Jun 17, 2010
Houston, TX
OK, I am a n00b to the Gtab scene. I do read the first post 99.9% of the time, but when the first post leads me to an incorrect first post about how to install, I must make mention of that fact. The first post mentioned does not have any instructions for installing. Is there a step by step tutorial for this to be found?

TIA ..... HTR

Good point; I'll fix that link.

As for a step-by-step, you can view THIS VIDEO that takes you through the steps of installing with Clockworkmod. Ignore the fact that it already has an OS on the G-Tab; you can do this with a fresh install as well.

Also, see THIS THREAD for step-by-step instructions. I'll fix the first post in the thread to reflect the change.

ehunyadi

Jun 17, 2010
Houston, TX
Updated to encompass ALL ROM flavors. If one is missing, or if you have useful information that you would like to see in the FAQ, please post or PM me directly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are some frequently asked questions about the G-Tablet. Where there are specific answers based on ROM, the ROM is listed prior to the answer.

How do I install Clockworkmod?
    See Step 1 of THIS POST
    OR watch THIS VIDEO

How do I boot into Clockworkmod?
    With the device completely off (and not asleep/suspended), press the + volume button and the power button until the device turns on. If it is successfully booting into Clockworkmod, you will see a message at the top left of the screen saying booting recovery image.

How do I perform a wipe data/factory reset?
    With Clockworkmod, select the third option in the menu "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Home key (second button down on the right side of the gTablet in landscape view). Then, confirm wipe by selecting "Yes - wipe data/factory reset" and press the Home key again.

How do I clear the cache?
    With Clockworkmod, select the fourth option in the menu "wipe cache partition" and press the Home key (second button down on the right side of the gTablet in landscape view). Then, confirm wipe by selecting "Yes - Wipe Cache" and press the Home key again.

How do I install VEGAn-TAB/TnT Lite/Cyanogenmod?

Where can I find the different ROMs for the G-Tablet?
    1) Stock by Viewsonic
    4) VEGAn-TAB beta 5.1 by gojimi, Roebeet and Rothic

Keyboard and Mouse Support
    VEGAn-TAB: Yes; supports an external keyboard and mouse, but it is picky. I have tested three keyboards; only one worked (MS Natural Keyboard). The MS Arc and an old Compaq keyboard did not. All mouses tested worked fine (both wireless and wired).
    TnT-Lite: In testing; will update when testing complete.
    Cyanogenmod 6.1b4: Yes; According to iammuze, keyboard and mouse both work.

Wallpaper blurry
    Some have pointed to applications that can possibly fix this (Wallpaper Set & Save, MultiPicture Live Wallpaper) but I have had limited success with both of these. A bit of experimenting with different wallpapers will yield a satisfactory wallpaper image until this is cleared up at a later time.

Screen resolution in landscape (horizontal) mode
    1024 x 600. Remember that if you're making wallpaper, when using the G-Tab in portrait mode (vertically) will make the wallpaper shrink and there will be black bars on top and below the image. Best image size: 1024 x 1024.

How do I get a fully working Marketplace?
    See Step 3 of THIS POST

Is there a difference between the marketplace that comes with most G-Tablet ROM builds or the new "improved" market?
    The only difference is the appearance. In functionality, it is the same. The market hack is still required for the new improved marketplace (and reports are that it often takes more tries to make work than the standard market).

Problems with acore FC's
    The problem is a corrupt contacts sqlite database. As the referenced post says, you'll be able to tell if thats the problem when there is a .db-journal file in the folder. The folder is /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/ *Note* this is not the data folder in sdcard, but the data folder in root (/).

Just delete the databases folder in /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts and restart. The contacts database will be rebuilt and re-synced.

Also, see THIS THREAD/FAQ

What is the recommended repartition ratio?
    2GB/0MB is STRONGLY recommended for TnT Lite 3.00+
    2GB/256MB is considered the default setup
    4GB/256MB is used by many people, but see the aforementioned caveat regarding TnT Lite.

Why won't one of the devs answer my question/post?
    Because they:

1. Have day jobs.
    2. Are busy coding and fixing the next release of VEGAn-TAB.
    3. Have seen your question 23 times already in this thread: the search function is your friend.
    4. Are not being paid to read forums and go through 100's of posts, many of which ask the same question (although they do this out of the kindness of their hearts thankfully!!!).

Who are the devs working on the G-Tablet
    VEGAn-TAB: Gojimi, Rothnic, and Roebeet
    TnT-Lite: Roebeet
    Cyanogenmod 6.1b4: bekriebel

I can't get X to work on my G-Tab. Can you fix it? (where x = desired ROM)
    Maybe. Maybe not. Currently, VEGAn-TAB is in Beta which means that it's still in testing. While it may be stable and usable for most people, it doesn't mean that it will be completely stable for you. If you have problems, post them and be happy knowing that you're helping the community at-large. Some problems may not be reproducible, however. In that case, it may be a matter of a corrupt install, conflict with previous install, cache or data issue, etc.

Do the dev's accept donations for their work?
    Some do; others don't. If you see a donate button on their profile, feel free. If not, they don't accept them.

How to get the stock VEGAn-TAB wallpaper without the letters?
    See attached image in 1024 x 1024.
    Great FAQ!

"Why won't one of the devs answer my question/post?" is so true. I scan this forum daily, but there is no way to keep up with all the questions that pop up (especially once it's back more than 2 pages). If you really need me, PM me - at least I'll eventually see the question. But, keep in mind that I get more PM's than you might realize, so it could take me some time to respond.
    More Advanced Questions.

Can the startup "Viewsonic Birds" or "gTablet" screens be changed?
    Yes they can. Follow the instructions in THIS POST.
    Can someone update the FAQ of this thread? there are several more new ROMs now..

As far as I know, here are the valid ROMs for gtablet
    1) Stock by Viewsonic
    4) Vegan beta 5.1 by gojimi, Roebeet and Rothic

I am actively following the forum and still have a hard time to keep up all the new ROMs + enhancement. :D
    Reserved for future use #3.