[ROM]Darky's v6 XXJPX Froyo on Captivate

Search This thread

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23
are we good to put 5.6 on the captivate? Currently running Axura.

Sure you can, i ran it for a few hours but later switched to the newer jpx build from doc. Darky is working on v6 which uses jpx if you want to wait, his gingy theme is pretty cool.
Just make sure to flash a reoriented kernel after you install either of these, either xcal's or setiron's. You'll also need hardcore's sdcard fix and jk4 modem.

Last edited:
Reactions: lrs421

alphadog00

Jun 29, 2010
I am running 5.5 "stock" - just as it downloads with no add-ins or other kernels - so I assume it has Xcaliburhands 2.2.1 kernel - all seems great, but i do find signal strength is not as good - i lose reception in areas where i used to have it.

I do love HSUPA - but i think having slightly better coverage means more to me.

Keep up the good work though!

Reactions: simarr

simarr

Dec 16, 2007
I am running 5.5 "stock" - just as it downloads with no add-ins or other kernels - so I assume it has Xcaliburhands 2.2.1 kernel - all seems great, but i do find signal strength is not as good - i lose reception in areas where i used to have it.

I do love HSUPA - but i think having slightly better coverage means more to me.

Keep up the good work though!

Flashing the jk4 moderm might help.

korgmotif

Nov 25, 2010
noob question here: is there an easy way to upgrade from v6 from the v5.5 that was posted in the OP. Or should i follow all the instructions and start clean?

dambrosioj

Aug 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
noob question here: is there an easy way to upgrade from v6 from the v5.5 that was posted in the OP. Or should i follow all the instructions and start clean?

All I do is flash back to stock with odin, then load update.zip onto my sd, along with v6.0. I then flash Clockwork recovery from the update.zip. then choose install v6.0 from sd card.

I then dont let it reboot because it will install voodo, I instead when its done just reboot to download mode and flash JK4 modem and sentiron kernel with odin then reboot and do my lagfix and all is good

Hope that helps

Reactions: korgmotif

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
All I do is flash back to stock with odin, then load update.zip onto my sd, along with v6.0. I then flash Clockwork recovery from the update.zip. then choose install v6.0 from sd card.

I then dont let it reboot because it will install voodo, I instead when its done just reboot to download mode and flash JK4 modem and sentiron kernel with odin then reboot and do my lagfix and all is good

Hope that helps

So flashing the 6.0 from the i9000 thread is enough as long as we flash the setiron kernel to get the auto rotation thing fixed? I thought there were more things to correct besides that....if not then COOL! :D

PS you do not disable voodoo before flashing?

Last edited:

dambrosioj

Aug 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
So flashing the 6.0 from the i9000 thread is enough as long as we flash the setiron kernel to get the auto rotation thing fixed? I thought there were more things to correct besides that....if not then COOL! :D

PS you do not disable voodoo before flashing?

Yupp you can just use the one from the i9000 thread.

And no, once you flash v6.0 rom dont let the phone reboot, if you do it will install voodoo. When it says install complete just put your phone into download mode and flash sentirons kernel with your choice of modem and then install the lagfix

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com

And no, once you flash v6.0 rom dont let the phone reboot, if you do it will install voodoo. When it says install complete just put your phone into download mode and flash sentirons kernel with your choice of modem and then install the lagfix

is there some reason you cant inject the kernel + modem in before you flash it? that method always seems cleaner

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah

Sweet...doing so right now...thanks a lot mang...Im addicted to flashing roms...then of course, I am sure you know the feeling! :D
The only thing I havent tried is Axura because I dont care for non i9000 based roms and Perception after v4

dambrosioj

Aug 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sweet...doing so right now...thanks a lot mang...Im addicted to flashing roms...then of course, I am sure you know the feeling! :D
The only thing I havent tried is Axura because I dont care for non i9000 based roms and Perception after v4

np enjoy the rom I have been loving it, once your done make sure to check out the JPX themes in the i9000 thread theres some good ones

dambrosioj

Aug 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
What is wrong with voodoo getting installed?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Because the kernel that is included is from the i9000 and everything wont work with our captivate. So then when you go to flash our kernel voodoo will be installed and you will have to disable it before you install another kernel, its just more work than you need to do.

If you want voodoo just install it from one of our kernels

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New instructions, easy and clean:
    Quoted instructions are for documentation purposes ONLY
    First of all, as usual, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS WITH YOUR PHONE DURING OR AFTER THIS PROCESS!

- return to stock
    - download Darky's latest ROM
    - download xcaliburinhand's latest reoriented kernel (odin version) with voodoo
    - reboot into CWM recovery and wipe data/cache
    - flash darky's ROM from CWM
    - let it boot into welcome screen and wait 10 minutes
    - reboot in download mode and flash reoriented kernel with ODIN

DONE.

Use kitchen for battery, icon and animation (boot and UI) moods.
    If you get stuck somewhere you can find some detailed instructions below.

OK guys, just to make it clear, there is no actual change in this ROM except the kernel which solves the home-back button logic, correct screen auto-rotation, wired headset calling, correct headset-speaker logic. Is perfect for people which don't need to make any changes to the ROM. For the moment xcaliburinhand's does not offer a proper recovery and there is no way to use standalone ClockworkMod with the kernel included in the ROM.
    If you ask why I am using xcaliburinhand's kernel, the answer is that is the only one that allows me to integrate it in Darky's ROM.

1. Return to stock
    2. Download Darky's ROM Captivate Edition 5.5 (you can use download accelerator) and put in on your sdcard.
    3. Reboot in ClockWorkMod recovery
    4. Wipe data/factory reset 2 times (sometimes CWM does not apply changes first time so is safer to do it twice)
    5. Chose install zip from sdcard and browse to the zip you downloaded. Install it and let your phone away for 15 mins.
    6. Install Setiron's kernel with ODIN - optional.

Everything is done. This is as close as possible to Darky's original with no overclocking or under-voltage settings.

A note here. DO NOT TRY TO DO ANY OPERATION WITH ClockWorkMod which you have on the sdcard AFTER you install this ROM. That recovery will not work with this kernel and it will break your system!. The reason why I included it is to have proper home-back button logic. For people which don't want to change anything in the ROM this is enough. It will probably be fixed in the close future.
    If you want a working CWM recovery, flash setiron's kernel after booting to the welcome screen.

Addons are still in post #3 and Troubleshooting is valid mainly for Setiron's kernel. For the one included in the ROM I just posted up (xcaliburinhand's reoriented kernel 2.2.1) there isn't too much to troubleshoot. You will notice that the home button haptic feedback does not work and that's kinda it.

Changelog, Screenshots
    Old instructions:
    Hi guys.
    For those of you fans of i9000 ROMs, I put together a guide on how to install Darky's ROM based on the leaked i9000 Froyo 2.2.1. This thing is fast, stable, has great GPS and is easy customizable, so it has pretty much all features that a good ROM should have.
    Note 1: I could have tried to "rework" the ROM and get rid of all these steps but I wanted Darky's ROM in the way it is, no modifications.
    Note 2: I've been asked why so many steps? Because to go to a i9000 froyo you should go first to a i9000 eclair with repartition. If you have different ways, no one stops you from following them ;)
    Note 3: Addons and Troubleshooting in post #3

First of all, as usual, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS WITH YOUR PHONE DURING OR AFTER THIS PROCESS!

Second, the ODIN steps are valid ONLY for ODIN v1.3. ODIN 1.0 needs to be open while you put your phone in download with the USB connected to the PC. 1.3 detects the phone even after connecting the USB cable to the phone and connects after hitting START.

Now, lets go to the installation steps:

1. First you have to go back to stock firmware
    2. Reboot your phone in download mode (or you can do this step after downloading all files, if you dont have them already) - there are several ways, but if you want to flash this, I assume you already know them, if not... maybe you should wait for an OTA or do some reading first.
    3. Download JM8 firmware from here. Extract the 2 files from GT-I9000_I9000XWJM8_I9000XXJM4_CODE-MODEM.rar using pa$$w0rd samfirmware.com
    4. Download this package - it contains the CSC JM1, ODIN 1.3 and 512 pit file. Extract it somewhere.
    5. Open ODIN and load the s1_odin_20100512.pit in PIT section, CODE_I9000XWJM8.tar.md5 PDA section, MODEM_I9000XXJM4.tar.md5 in PHONE and CSC_I9000OXXJM1.tar.md5 in CSC. I assume the phone is still in download mode, if not, put it in download mode, ODIN will recognize it and make a connection. tick Re-Partition and Hit START
    6. Wait for it to finish, don't breathe, don't touch the computer, don't touch the phone, and, dammit, if possible, do it on a laptop with functional battery or on a PC protected by an UPS. Let it boot in the welcome screen.
    We did this for making sure that partitions are fine and that the usual i9000 eclair to froyo process is followed
    7. Download I9000_reoriented_v1.2.tar from this thread
    8. Reboot in download mode again, open ODIN and load I9000_reoriented_v1.2.tar in the PDA section, no other changes or files needed, just hit start.
    We did this for being able to select in recovery with power button
    9. Install ROM Manager from the Market and flash ClockWorkMod Recovery (if you dont have it already on your sdcard, if you are unsure, then do this step)
    10. Download Darky's ROM from his thread and put it on your internal SD card
    11. Reboot in recovery. Select reinstall packages. The phone will reboot, select reinstall packages again. You should now be in CWM. If not keep on rebooting and on reinstalling packages, but I dont think will be necessary.
    12. Go to Install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard and select Darky's zip. Wait for it to install. Reboot the phone and wait until you get to the welcome screen. You'll hear some voices and then it will take a long time till you'll see the home screen. After that, just to be sure all is good, wait 10 minutes and reboot the phone again until welcome screen.
    13. Go get SetiroN_v1.4.5_1300_JPU.tar.7z from Setiron's main thread
    We did this for having the correct Home-back buttons logic+misc fixes which you can find on Setiron's thread
    14. Extract and flash with ODIN in the same way you flashed I9000_reoriented_v1.2.tar.
    15. That's it...

For a non-OC version, install xcaliburinhand's kernel. You can find the latest version here - it seems more stable

EDIT: Alternative installation steps -basically what I said previously but without flashing the JM8 fw (posted by cropythy) - I still recommend the ones above
    1. Flash back to stock
    2. Flash Darky's rom with clockwork mod and let it boot up
    3. Enter download mode and flash xcaliburinhand's latest kernel or setiron's JPU kernel and optionally the JK4 modem with odin

This the mount output:
    Code:
    rootfs / rootfs ro,noatime 0 0
    proc /proc proc rw,noatime 0 0
    sys /sys sysfs rw,noatime 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,noatime 0 0
    /dev/block/stl9 [B]/system ext4[/B] ro,noatime,barrier=1,data=writeback 0 0
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 [B]/data ext4[/B] rw,noatime,commit=20,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/block/stl10 [B]/dbdata ext4[/B] rw,noatime,commit=20,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/block/stl11 [B]/cache ext4[/B] rw,noatime,commit=20,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=ordered 0 0
    tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,noatime,mode=755 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noatime,mode=600 0 0
    none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
    /dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw,noatime 0 0
    tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,noatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
    none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
    /dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    /dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime
    =0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Optionally you can install the JK4 modem from the addons section - CWM and ODIN versions - for the best HSDPA/HSUPA speeds and WCDMA 850MHz frequency enabled by default. As well, you can make more tweaks from recovery but I let that to you to find out :)

Before flashing the modem, this is friendly warning from DocRambone:
    A friendly warning: dont use other modems than standard on XXJPU: seems to gives big errors.
    Doc's a pro so I would listen to him if I would want an issue free phone. I like to test, so I have JK4

Thanks go to:
    Darky for his great rom
    Setiron for his work in putting together all optimizations for the Galaxy S kernel and making them available to Captivate users.
    xcaliburinhand for the original reoriented kernel
    supercurio for his voodoo project
    neldar for the backlight notifications
    Koushik Dutta for ClockWorkMod recovery
    and last, but not least, samfirmware for the great Samsung leaks that we all love.

I encourage you to donate to these guys (buy premium account in samfirmware's case). Without them our phones would be useless.

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button. :D
    Addons And Troubleshooting

Addons:

For this you need a kernel with integrated CWM. You should use setiron's as is the only one compiled for 2.2.1 with integrated CWM. I asked xcaliburinhand if he can integrate CWM recovery in his kernel

return_to_stock_5_4.zip : in case you apply themes and you would like to go back to stock (contains only framework-res.apk and twframework-res.apk) - flash with the CWM integrated in setiron's kernel - only Darky's 5.4

Fabolous_GBKB_Fix.zip Gingerbread Keyboard CWM flashable - as well you can find it on your sdcard as an installable apk source - flash with the CWM integrated in setiron's kernel

NewSwype.zip - Swype Beta v2.15.56 - flash with the CWM integrated in setiron's kernel

modemJK4_ODIN.zip ODIN JK4 modem
    update.i9000ugjk4.modem.zip JK4 Modem CWM flashable - flash with the CWM integrated in setiron's kernel

update.I9000XXJPU.modem.zip Stock JPU modem in case you flashed JK4 and you have problems - flash with the CWM integrated in setiron's kernel

All Samsung applications available here - source - Thanks to DocRambone for deodexing and packing - flash with the CWM integrated in setiron's kernel

Troubleshooting
    Key combos:
    Recovery: Vol up + Vol Down + Power
    Download: both volume buttons pressed while inserting USB from power off mode.

Known issues:
    1. USB storage with any of these kernels is not safe!! I lost a lot of data because of it
    You can disable USB debugging, go to USB settings and enable there Media Player mode. As well make sure TouchWiz launcher is your home launcher while doing that. After you finish copying files you can switch back to your favorite launcher.
    As a second alternative, you can use QtADB for file transfers and much more. Is one of the best Android managers around.
    2. Some color issues here and there but hopefully will be fixed in next release or some fix will be sent out.

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button. :D
    Man than was quick. I loved darky's 4.0 and almost regret flashing over it. Ill be giving this a shot.

Dont forget to "Thank" me :D I love this new Thank you thing
    Another piece of work posted with no Donate to Me button or link; that's the spirit! Thank you for these instructions. I am debating on trying this ROM; right now I am really happy with Ultimate v3.0 - everything works!
    hi there nice right up , I am not sure why all those steps are required ...

I get it some of these steps are 'precautions' .. but woudl you care to explain why we need to flash 2 different kernels at 2 different steps and why we need to start from original i9000 rom is DARky's not a complete rom to begin with ?

I am not trying to be annoying here , but I suppose if I dont understnd why we need liek 15 steps to flash this rom I am probably nto the only on ..

thx in advance '