FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Recovery] [07-Jan-2011] RA-passion-v2.2.1

1,295 posts
Thanks Meter: 403
 
By Amon_RA, Retired Senior Recognized Developer on 5th January 2010, 12:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th December 2010, 10:39 PM |#1491  
aha27's Avatar
Member
Flag W├╝rzburg
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_RA

As of HBOOT- 0.35.x the size of the recovery partition is reduced and the size of the boot partition is increased (they probably did this as a preparation for Gingerbread). So depending on the amount of bad blocks in your recovery partition it could be the case that my recovery doesn't fit anymore. In that case you'll get the error you are seeing.

I'll post a smaller version soon which fits on N1's flashed with a 0.35.x HBOOT.

Will you tweet this, post it somewhere in this thread or announce it by changing the post #1? just so i know where to look while my n1 is waiting for it ;)
 
 
17th December 2010, 12:53 PM |#1492  
Suatae's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag California - Next to the BORG
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_RA

As of HBOOT- 0.35.x the size of the recovery partition is reduced and the size of the boot partition is increased (they probably did this as a preparation for Gingerbread). So depending on the amount of bad blocks in your recovery partition it could be the case that my recovery doesn't fit anymore. In that case you'll get the error you are seeing.

I'll post a smaller version soon which fits on N1's flashed with a 0.35.x HBOOT.

+1 I have 0.33.0012. Thank you so much, I can't wait for the new smaller version.
17th December 2010, 08:42 PM |#1493  
wastegate13's Avatar
Member
Flag SoFla
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I am currently running 1.7 recovery version. Is there any reason I should upgrade to 2.0? I don't flash a new rom every day, and am more or less an average user.
19th December 2010, 01:56 AM |#1494  
ronnyzilker's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
can someone tell me what am i doing wrong... every time I try to download the recovery image on my mac it says "fail to mount".. what kind I do.. i lost my recovery image when I flashed gingerbread......
19th December 2010, 02:39 AM |#1495  
Frankenstooge's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_RA

As of HBOOT- 0.35.x the size of the recovery partition is reduced and the size of the boot partition is increased (they probably did this as a preparation for Gingerbread). So depending on the amount of bad blocks in your recovery partition it could be the case that my recovery doesn't fit anymore. In that case you'll get the error you are seeing.

I'll post a smaller version soon which fits on N1's flashed with a 0.35.x HBOOT.

This is very interesting.

FWIW, I've been using (and loving) the 2.0 recovery for quite a while. But yesterday I upgraded my HBOOT from 0.35.0012 to 0.35.0017 so I could try on the first gingerbeard AOSP port. When I did, the recovery started behaving badly and would not complete backups, restores, and a couple of other things I can't remember. I tried reflashing it, but got the 'not writing bad block' error. I ended up having to flash clockworkmod over it, then problem solved and I got to play with GB.

Now I've restored things back to my old CM6.1.1, and am trying to bring back 2.0 recovery, but no dice - same old error.

I'm thinking that HBOOT 0.35.0017 just doesn't allow room for your sweet recovery.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go back to 1.7 or 1.9 until you calmly work another miracle.
19th December 2010, 05:45 PM |#1496  
GldRush98's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Taylorville, IL.
Thanks Meter: 324
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstooge


I'm thinking that HBOOT 0.35.0017 just doesn't allow room for your sweet recovery.

No. As Amon_RA said, it depends on how many bad blocks your phone's flash memory came with from the factory. If you have too many bad blocks, you have a slightly reduced memory space. Reduced enough to where you no longer have room for Amon's recovery.
There are plenty of people on the .35 hboot running Amon 2.0 just fine, including myself.
19th December 2010, 08:57 PM |#1497  
crachel's Avatar
Senior Moderator
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 3,121
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastegate13

I am currently running 1.7 recovery version. Is there any reason I should upgrade to 2.0? I don't flash a new rom every day, and am more or less an average user.

The big difference between the two is that, in 2.0, the flashable ZIPs do not have to reside on the root of the SD card, but instead can be anywhere on the SD. The recovery allows you to navigate through folders.

Also, some people with SLCD displays couldn't see the recovery, that has been addressed in 2.0.

So, as a user that doesn't flash ROMs often, doesn't have an SLCD display, I would say the most practical thing is to just stick with 1.7
20th December 2010, 08:32 AM |#1498  
Junior Member
Internet
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Thank you!
Thank you sooo much Amon_RA! I first used 1.8 and more recently 2.0! Thank you for all your hard work. Your recovery is much nicer than Clockwork!
20th December 2010, 08:40 AM |#1499  
Frankenstooge's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldRush98

No. As Amon_RA said, it depends on how many bad blocks your phone's flash memory came with from the factory. If you have too many bad blocks, you have a slightly reduced memory space. Reduced enough to where you no longer have room for Amon's recovery.
There are plenty of people on the .35 hboot running Amon 2.0 just fine, including myself.

You know what? You're right. Criminy.

No way to resurrect that bad block by formatting or anything is there?
20th December 2010, 08:46 AM |#1500  
Amon_RA's Avatar
OP Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 403
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstooge

You know what? You're right. Criminy.

No way to resurrect that bad block by formatting or anything is there?

I'm working a new version (will try to release it this weekend) which is +- 800kB smaller. That means it will flash with any hboot, even when you have a few badblocks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amon_RA For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Samurai Drac
20th December 2010, 10:26 AM |#1501  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Is there any reason to upgrade HBOOT? Specifically, while there are no changelogs for hboot, besides allowing Gingerbread to be flashed (which is of no consequence to me until CM releases a stable for it), are there any other known improvements/advantages to hboot 35.whatever.17 over my current 33.something.something hboot?

I also heard that flashing some of the newer hboots on an unlocked nexus one may end up disabling some adb flash commands. Anyone know for sure?

Also, will flashing an HBOOT .img via recovery erase the recovery/ROM I currently have installed, or is it kind of like updating the radio (which only modifies the radio and not /system or /recovery etc) ?

Thanks in advance for replies.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes