Post Reply Email Thread
20th December 2010, 11:06 PM |#151  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchosGamer

My understanding of kenyu73's files is that you can install the newer versions over the older versions (as long as they are his older versions, and not the gApps4Archos2 version - that's not his creation - that is floating out there). You'll still have to reboot your system with v5, but any versions after this will apparently work without the reboot after update.

You'll have to RESET your device for V5, but you shouldn't have to going forward. All future updates should be go over the previous without a reset. Basically, V5 should be the LAST reset we'll need...
20th December 2010, 11:20 PM |#152  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutley

can we install v5 installer over v4?

Nope. You MUST reset Android if you want to install the new version of the Market, i tried to install it without reset, i uninstalled the previous version, i installed the new version on it and i've got FCs. I reseted Android and i re-installed it, no more FCs.
20th December 2010, 11:27 PM |#153  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate NY

More
I posted this in the OP, but wanted all you who've subscribed to understand why we've had to RESET.

Why must we RESET
Vending.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk use SHARED security preferences in "/data/system/Permissions.xml". The requirements for "shared permissions" are:
1) Same Android UserID (generated when an APK is installed OR specifically by a developer in AndroidManifest.xml)
2) Same APK signature/key

When users try to manually push a new Vending.apk file into the Archos, the com.android.vending crashes (Force Close) because is cannot access permissions SHARED with GoogleServicesFramework because the apk signatures are different between the two files. (hence in the logcat.log you'll see GWRITE permission ERROR).

So we sly techy's take all these gApp files and re-sign them using the SignAPK program with test-keys so they all get the same certificate/signature/key andin turn play nice together. However, the result of using a NON-GOOGLE certificate, the Market will not auto-update (except maybe small updates).

{edit}: The question some may ask is WHY wont this work if we ERASE and REINSTALL gApps... well, I dont have the exact details, but I know that the ORIGINAL certificate/signature/key or whatever is stored somewhere in the CORE android system where it can only be reset or erased with ROOT access. So basically, once you install a Market, the certificate sticks until a reset is done. Don't forget, the Market files aren't designed to be manually installed, they're supposed to be installed by the vendor(Archos, Samsung, HTC, etc).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenyu73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenyu73 Ad-Free
21st December 2010, 12:13 AM |#154  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Kenyu, this is great but are you planning to correct Wifi location services in a future update? I'd love to use the new market but would miss location services for things like Beautiful Home Weather or NHL Gamecenter Live. Thanks for your great work!
21st December 2010, 12:39 AM |#155  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate NY

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexidecimal

Kenyu, this is great but are you planning to correct Wifi location services in a future update? I'd love to use the new market but would miss location services for things like Beautiful Home Weather or NHL Gamecenter Live. Thanks for your great work!

I'm really unsure why it breaks honestly. It doesn't throw any errors, just doesn't "lock on" to the wifi location...

I'm still playing, but wanted to get the new Market stuff out for those who want it. I'm hoping it can be fixed without a RESET this next time around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenyu73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenyu73 Ad-Free
21st December 2010, 12:33 PM |#156  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
kenyu, thanks for all your work on this!

if we have v4 working well, why move to v5? location will cease working and we'll have 15 minute trial instead of 24 hour. what are the benefits? maybe i'm missing something.
21st December 2010, 04:03 PM |#157  
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz3

I have to ask a question about my mkt. A few weeks ago I ran kenyu v4, well at least i thought I was. I never had issues with mkt and apps not being there until today when my angry birds Was gone. So after getting it back by sideloading I started to sniff around my system. (running 2.2 With most recent firm update). also followed kenyu directions when i installed gappinstl v4 picked core apps rebooted etc

Soo under mg apps I look under all apps and market says ver 1.82 and gapsinst i open says ver 1 however when i installed v4 ; v1 was not there. i even see versin 4 in the file mgr

What steps need to be done to fix this?

Any idea on how to fix this- Why still ver 1.82 of mkt with reset etc with kenyuu ver 4 , would like to upgrade to ver 5......
21st December 2010, 04:19 PM |#158  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank35

kenyu, thanks for all your work on this!

if we have v4 working well, why move to v5? location will cease working and we'll have 15 minute trial instead of 24 hour. what are the benefits? maybe i'm missing something.

Going by Kenyu's version notes quoted below (posted in the second post in the thread) version 5 includes the page layout of the new Google/Android market, and the signature key(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyu73

*** NEWS ***

12/20/2010:
v5 release with 2.2.7 Market included. This breaks WiFi location thought. However, I may have found a way to do post v5 updates without doing a reset by using the same apk signature keys. I've done some testing and it appears to work.

12/17/2010:
2.0.71 firmware appears stable

12/13/2010:
Might have a v5 version out soon that can install as well as clear any previous market installer from the device (no more resets)

12/12/2010:
The new Market 2.2.6 cannot be "side-loaded" as far as my preliminary tests go. When it comes over-the-air, it should be fine though. If I manage to get a stable version, I'll post it in this thread.

Edit: Kenyu has now revised version 5 (now final) with a wifi location.apk, and now there is no longer any reason not to use version 5.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArchosGamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ArchosGamer Ad-Free
21st December 2010, 04:28 PM |#159  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Exclamation
OK the install went without a hitch on a fresh Archos 70 2.0.71 update. The market comes up and everything shows. The problem is that NOTHING downloads. It just goes to starting download and stays there. Doesn't pull anything down at all. I have left it going now for 30 minutes and still no change. Any ideas?
21st December 2010, 05:26 PM |#160  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Market not downloading files
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseider

OK the install went without a hitch on a fresh Archos 70 2.0.71 update. The market comes up and everything shows. The problem is that NOTHING downloads. It just goes to starting download and stays there. Doesn't pull anything down at all. I have left it going now for 30 minutes and still no change. Any ideas?

People who have reported similar problems have found it to be firewall related. Check your router firewall settings and port permissions.
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopi...ading+does+not
21st December 2010, 08:55 PM |#161  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I just received my archos 70 in the mail today and performed the installation for market. Do I need to perform the reset though? I am under the impression the reset is for previous versions of the market installer. and can I uninstall the installer apk? all help is appreciated.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)