Official Samsung Gingerbread Leak In the Pipeline

Search This thread

joshriccio

Oct 27, 2010
Phoenix
I just sold a spare Fascinate that I had to one of the guys that runs http://www.mydroidworld.com/ He has a leaked copy of the official samsung gingerbread build for the fascinate. He needed a fascinate to test it on. He told me that he will test it tonight and post all his info on his site tomorrow. Keep an eye for it. If I get any more info I will post.

Skrazz

Jan 28, 2011
Tampa
I believe this with every fiber of my being. I'm banking it all on this being real. Going for broke! (vegas odds)

Sent from my SCH-I500

Last edited:

jobu3434

Sep 25, 2010
Virginia Beach

joshriccio

Oct 27, 2010
Phoenix
It was my girlfriends phone. She likes her iphone better so I tried to get what I could for this. He ended up paying 175, I wanted 200 originally.

bratliff

Aug 12, 2010
Sounds like he was trying to get a better deal.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

is that p3droid? He said he was looking for a fascinate.. He was hoping to only pay 100. I volunteered to test but I guess he decided to buy a phone. I used his stuff on my droid x. Very smart dev. I hope this works out in our favor. TBH would be good to have supporting the fascinate.

kidserious

Feb 11, 2011
I just sold a spare Fascinate that I had to one of the guys that runs http://www.mydroidworld.com/ He has a leaked copy of the official samsung gingerbread build for the fascinate. He needed a fascinate to test it on. He told me that he will test it tonight and post all his info on his site tomorrow. Keep an eye for it. If I get any more info I will post.

I don't mean to sound negative with this statement. But even if this does actually happen, I just have this strange inclination that this leak will have absolutely no benefit or bearing on the development of CM7 or GB MIUI or anything else that our devs are cooking up. Official froyo brought nothing as far as added functionality to the roms of that time and I just don't see a GB leak doing it either. Samsung's proprietary code SUCKS so bad that we can't hardly do anything with it. Even if it's a fully functioning GB leak, it will be TouchWiz. I mean at best we are looking at some custom TouchWiz GB roms. I would rather have AOSP froyo than GB TouchWiz. I just don't want us to set ourselves up for disappointment. Anything we get out of this leak will probably be a couple steps behind where we already are.

Last edited:

joshriccio

Oct 27, 2010
Phoenix
I don't mean to sound negative with this statement. But even if this does actually happen, I just have this strange inclination that this leak will have absolutely no benefit or bearing on the development of CM7 or GB MIUI or anything else that our devs are cooking up. Official froyo brought nothing as far as added functionality to the roms of that time and I just don't see a GB leak doing it either. Samsung's proprietary code SUCKS so bad that we can't hardly do anything with it. Even if it's a fully functioning GB leak, it will be TouchWiz. I mean at best we are looking at some custom TouchWiz GB roms. I would rather have AOSP froyo than GB TouchWiz. I just don't want us to set ourselves up for disappointment. Anything we get out of this leak will probably be a couple steps behind where we already are.

I don't dev, so I really have no clue, but wouldnt a gingerbread leak at least help get mms, sensors, and gps? and possibly lead to a more stable build?

Falcyn

Jan 18, 2010
Even if it's a fully functioning GB leak, it will be TouchWiz. I mean at best we are looking at some custom TouchWiz GB roms.

How is that a bad thing? For people like me who need everything to work (MMS, etc), our ROM choices are already all TouchWiz-based. So I'd much rather have fully-functional, debloated TouchWiz GB ROMs (a la KB/EF) than no fully-functional GB at all.

It seems to me you're basically saying that because any official GB leak would be TouchWiz, it's worthless, which simply isn't true. A lot of us would be very happy with a Gingerbread KB or EF.

Last edited:

kidserious

Feb 11, 2011
How is that a bad thing? For people like me who need everything to work (MMS, etc), our ROM choices are already all TouchWiz-based. So I'd much rather have fully-functional, debloated TouchWiz GB ROMs (a la KB/EF) than no fully-functional GB at all.

It seems to me you're basically saying because this is TouchWiz-based, it's worthless to everyone, which simply isn't true. A lot of people would be very happy if KB or EF were based on GB.

Just my opinion. I hate touchwiz and after tasting CM7/MIUI and other AOSP goodness, it is pure suffering to go back to touchwiz. All I am saying is this doesn't excite me. We are trying to cut the cord of dependance from samsung/verizon for support by getting official support from Teamhacksung and Cyanogenmod and this leak probably won't help in the advancement of that. That is why I am not excited, but maybe and happily, I'll be proven wrong. :)

Last edited:

zas311

Jan 14, 2007

It seems to me you're basically saying that because any official GB leak would be TouchWiz, it's worthless, which simply isn't true. A lot of us would be very happy with a Gingerbread KB or EF.

I am one of them. I would prefer the TW GB over AOSP roms.

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
Yea, sorry, I'm with kidserious. If I had a choice between AOSP now and TouchWiz, I would never go back to TouchWiz unless MMS never became functional on AOSP. I'm just loving my phone's performance... knowing how Sammy did TW Froyo just makes me leery of any GB they have going on.

I have more faith in the devs here than I do in Samsung.

Falcyn

Jan 18, 2010
Yea, sorry, I'm with kidserious. If I had a choice between AOSP now and TouchWiz, I would never go back to TouchWiz unless MMS never became functional on AOSP.

But that's my point -- some of us need MMS to work now, not just potentially in the future, so we don't have a choice yet. If we're stuck with TouchWiz, it would at least be nice to have the latest version of the OS, whether or not it helps AOSP developement.

kidserious

Feb 11, 2011
Yea, sorry, I'm with kidserious. If I had a choice between AOSP now and TouchWiz, I would never go back to TouchWiz unless MMS never became functional on AOSP. I'm just loving my phone's performance... knowing how Sammy did TW Froyo just makes me leery of any GB they have going on.

I have more faith in the devs here than I do in Samsung.

well said and a very good point. TW is an atrocity. I understand the functionality argument and the need for it in the workplace but IMO TouchWiz itself, even fully functional, isn't functional because it's trash. I think anyone who has spent a halfway decent amount of time on AOSP and can stand a few things that don't work would agree with me. But again this is just my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm not trying to get the next generation updated touchwiz, I'm hoping to do away with TW altogether with official Cyanogenmod/Teamhacksung support. I mean, with fully functioning AOSP, who would want/need TW?

TtWEAK

Oct 14, 2010
The question I have is whether or not it is TW4. I'd give it a chance if it was. Still I'd ditch it for MIUI or CM7 once they are functional.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

gkirby11

Feb 27, 2011
The question I have is whether or not it is TW4. I'd give it a chance if it was. Still I'd ditch it for MIUI or CM7 once they are functional.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

A majority of us would jump ship for an AOSP 2.2 over TW 2.3. Plus in the end as soon as it drops there will be countless threads about Ice Cream Sandwich and when it is coming.

Most casual users are just concerned with what is shiny and new, evidence is in every UKB release.

I agree with Kid, in the end it is still going to be TW and the hype machine should not take this with to much hope.

Falcyn

Jan 18, 2010
I totally agree about cutting down on unrealistic hype, so let me ask this:

What, specifically, are the end-user (not developer) differences between running the latest Voodoo'd version of UKB and the latest version of jt's CM7 that lead you to say that a TouchWiz-based rom like UKB is a nonfunctional piece of trash?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Folks can make all the excuses they want, but I question everything. If someone appears to be hiding something, it causes me to question more. I asked for a simple video showing baseband.

I am sorry but stand by p3droid all you like. His response was an immature temper tantrum because someone wanted to see more. His attacks on me were unwarranted, and to give you an idea of who stupid the situation was, I was constantly shat on until R1Lover showed we were friends. All of a sudden--back-pedalling. They actually had the gall after his namecalling and fist pounding to say I should apologize!

In my world, you know, the real one, his behaviour was unacceptable. The only people who would condone such things are in it because they want a leak.
    He is probably just protecting where he got the leak from. I met the guy yesterday, hes a cool guy, and definitely did not seem like someone who would fake that.

Im not saying he's faking it or anything...in fact im convinced he has a gb build...I just don't like the surrounding hype with it...our other leaks were handled in a much better mannerand where tested out by smart folks to ensure everything was in order before it went out to the masses
    P3 doesn't have gb. Just another froyo build (apparently some folks don't know how to read a build.prop lol).

A gb leak would help to fix sensors on aosp roms at the very least, so it would be nice to get ahold of one.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App
    p3 not a problem - he just broke the fascinate dev comm model

he is doing thing his way not working with the old boy network

+1 p3

step 1 - remove p3nis from mouth
    step 2 - remove p3nis from sphincter
    step 3 - remove head from sphincter
    step 4 - actually think for yourself instead of being a sheep
    step 5 - PROFIT!
    He's like 30 or 40 I think based on the fact he has 3 kids and is a teacher.
    Did he over react? A little. Did u guys jump all over him? A little. Do u owe him an apology? YES.
    You guys should know people have to protect their sources when they get a leak. You should have looked at his past work and just givin him some credit.
    As a guy that came from motorola phone all i can say is Sucks to be you guys

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

Nope, no apology required. It was a reasonable request. If he was protecting his sources, all he had to do was say so. If he's a teacher, that's pretty disturbing. Can you imagine how he reacts when his students have questions? "Mr. P3, I think there's a mistake on question 5 ..." "Why you little piece of crap! How dare you question my perfection?"

Seriously, dude needs a psych exam.