the ics update is "almost here"

Search This thread

Panos_dm

Jan 26, 2011
I think the expectation of a new OS version (3.2 to 4.0) is a little bit of sense of entitlement that seems to be rampant among Android device users. Like they owe you ICS or Sense 4.0 or whatever it is. I think they should be expected to release some OTA's that patch up bugs or increase performance on the devices OS as it was originally designed. Nothing more. A whole OS upgrade is just icing on the cake.

Just my opinion though, flame on!

You are not entirely wrong. I agree with you to some extend but a new release "supposedly" improves the overall experience. Yes, the old bugs may be gone and yes new ones arive so a patch is better sometimes. I like major updates better though. The biggest problem is that Google allows the manufacturers to set their standards and to decide with devices to update. That's why the best choice we have if we want on-time updates is the nexus line. Or hope that Google will release solid hardware requirements for each update. I bought the tab waiting for ics and I am well aware of the fact that Samsung won't update it past that. The rest I leave it to the marvellous xda community!

Sent from my amazing 10.1 galaxy tab :)

Joe T

Nov 18, 2010
Fingerlakes, NY
I think the expectation of a new OS version (3.2 to 4.0) is a little bit of sense of entitlement that seems to be rampant among Android device users. Like they owe you ICS or Sense 4.0 or whatever it is. I think they should be expected to release some OTA's that patch up bugs or increase performance on the devices OS as it was originally designed. Nothing more. A whole OS upgrade is just icing on the cake.

No disrespect or a flame... BUT...I don't think Android would be where it is today if manufacturers didn't support their devices through OS upgrades. Especially not for the price they are asking for these phones and tablets.

Last edited:

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
I wouldn't say it obssessing, more so fighting for the better of the community. Every little bit counts. Do I need this update? No. Do I need a tablet? No.... but if i do get one, I'd like it to be supported through its life cycle. Every tablet before the tab as gotten ics, even ones that came months after. If you think this is OK because a small amount of people won't sway their opinion, then maybe it's OK not to vote? Or litter if the garbage is small enough? Its the principles, not the obssession to have an update.

I understand your point. However, maybe I'm not the one to ask. I have a Galaxy Nexus phone which does have ICS and I don't see enough difference between HC and ICS to get very excited about.

t1mman

Oct 8, 2008
I understand your point. However, maybe I'm not the one to ask. I have a Galaxy Nexus phone which does have ICS and I don't see enough difference between HC and ICS to get very excited about.

Many things stated here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Ice_Cream_Sandwich_4.0.x

To name the most intersting one:
-Enhanced speed and performance
-Hardware acceleration in the UI

the other features are "nice to have" none the less, but speed, performance and HW acceleration is surely something worth the switch!

ezio84

Oct 18, 2009
Giovinazzo (Bari)
I've a Nexus S and a Tab 7510: the first one (with ICS 4.0.4) has better perfomance, you can see differences in daily use... And there's no lag.

giltwist

Feb 10, 2011
@baddogg

I think part of that sense of entitlement comes from the fact that samsung agreed to update all of their android devices for the first 18 months of life. I got my 10.1 as soon as a store had it in stock, and that was less than a year ago.

kta

Software upgrades also enhance the user experience of the product. It is in the manufacturer's interest to release updates if the hardware supports it. Most high end devices get at least one major software update in its life cycle because the hardware usually supports it, being it Android, iOs or any other platform.

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
Software upgrades also enhance the user experience of the product. It is in the manufacturer's interest to release updates if the hardware supports it.

This presumes the consumer knows this. Most of the people that I know that own tablets have no clue about upgrades. They don't expect one. They don't really care if one is coming. They're just happy with the tablet as it is.

In fact, if anything, they're afraid of an upgrade. Often, to the average user, it means that a product that is functioning perfectly good has a chance to be broken with an upgrade.

Years and years of conditioning by their workplace when a computer tech comes in to "upgrade" their computer only to leave it functioning worse than when they arrived has conditioned them to "fear the upgrade."

And, I gotta tell you, when the upgrade does come, I'll wait a minimum of 14 days until I press the upgrade button. I'll let those here be the guinea pigs so I don't have to suffer. My Tab is a tool, an important tool, that I use every day and I can't afford down time. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Last edited:

GorillaPimp

Jul 18, 2008

If we were only talking about low-end devices I would agree with your entitlement remark. OS upgrades on high end Android devices is standard marketplace practice. Releases for Android come frequently and many of the bug fixes and enhancements you speak of are contained within these.
Should I feel entitled to receive what I paid top dollar to obtain? Absolutely.
But as a wise old gunslinger once said "deserves got nothing to do with it."

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

evegas316

Dec 11, 2010
So Cal
still waiting

All this talk of an official ICS update for my Gtab got me excited too. I just restored my nandroid of the stock image on my 10.1, and ran through like 3 software updates from samsung but no 4.0 goodness.

I think I'll just enjoy good o'l laggy honeycomb till it comes out.

I'll keep you all posted.

GorillaPimp

Jul 18, 2008
All this talk of an official ICS update for my Gtab got me excited too. I just restored my nandroid of the stock image on my 10.1, and ran through like 3 software updates from samsung but no 4.0 goodness.

I think I'll just enjoy good o'l laggy honeycomb till it comes out.

I'll keep you all posted.
I would do the same but stock makes my P7510 too irritating to use. Memory management is horrible.

GorillaPimp

Jul 18, 2008
Agreed.

I do like having my camera back though.

I never bothered with roms that had gps and cam problems. I'm using Overcome. Much better memory management. Way more stable in general. I was pretty pissed off when I had to reboot multiples times during the day on stock. Thought about getting an iPad at that point. My only complaint now is battery life. I haven't bothered testing out any new kernels since ICS was around the corner. Just for kicks I'm trying to write this with stock Skype and it is a fudging nightmare. I like my Samsung hardware but I doubt I'd ever give them money again.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

kta

This presumes the consumer knows this. Most of the people that I know that own tablets have no clue about upgrades. They don't expect one. They don't really care if one is coming. They're just happy with the tablet as it is.

In fact, if anything, they're afraid of an upgrade. Often, to the average user, it means that a product that is functioning perfectly good has a chance to be broken with an upgrade.

Years and years of conditioning by their workplace when a computer tech comes in to "upgrade" their computer only to leave it functioning worse than when they arrived has conditioned them to "fear the upgrade."

And, I gotta tell you, when the upgrade does come, I'll wait a minimum of 14 days until I press the upgrade button. I'll let those here be the guinea pigs so I don't have to suffer. My Tab is a tool, an important tool, that I use every day and I can't afford down time. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Most customers would not know when and if an upgrade is coming, but when it comes, it gets trickled to them via auto-updates, notifications and other various means.

It's good practice not to update immediately when an update is available, but personally i would want to hit the upgrade button 14 days BEFORE the upgrade comes and not after :)

t1mman

Oct 8, 2008
Most customers would not know when and if an upgrade is coming, but when it comes, it gets trickled to them via auto-updates, notifications and other various means.

It's good practice not to update immediately when an update is available, but personally i would want to hit the upgrade button 14 days BEFORE the upgrade comes and not after :)

I think most of us (XDA Dev users) would. Galaxy devices are reknown to be almost unbrickable, that's the main reason I got a Galaxy Tab, to fool around.

I know most of the users don't know what "root" or "download mode" means, but we are amoung savvy users here, it's the whole point of this site, test and try stuff out to get the most out of our devices

samwest39

Jan 31, 2011
i was told some people are getting the update today if you are on stock where can i flash the stock virsion is it on samfirmware?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys seems like the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be updated to ICS this month. Click the link and scroll to where the comments are posted. Perhaps this is it ^_^ mind the Galaxy Tab 2... just scroll to the first comment posted where the customer is talking to a tech

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/1...aunches-in-the-united-states-starting-may-13/

- Google
    This thread is way to whiny. If you think Samsung sucks, then stop using their products. If you think Apple is better, then go to some Apple forum. This thread has run it's course - a moderator should lock garbage like this.
    I don't have a problem with debates. We all have our douchebag moments. Does that mean we only want to interact with one another as douchebags?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

=] no because moments like that are only saved for the bigger douchebags of the world. This place is nothing but knowledge and I've gained a good amount of it from ppl who actually think there is no such thing as a stupid question. Its from them that you become confident and take in knowledge to help others who were just like u when lost. Those who are jerks on here because of a question I asked I ignore or I can respond in my own way =P.

- Google
    You're the reason why we live in a world that's heading to its death. Nothing matters, we are just individuals who make no difference in anything. Why is it so wrong to expect the future of a product you purchase? Actually many people base their reason to buy purely on the life of their device. Why is apple so popular? Support, they have one of the best support of any company I know. You can think what you want, I will change for the better by not buying another product from Samsung.

jojo,

Relax. This is just a technology gadget, it's not a cause. There is life outside of a gadget. It's just a tool to get work done, not a lifestyle. Obsessing doesn't change anything.

If the world is heading to its death it's because too many worry about objects instead of other people.
    I just love how the internet completely turned people into impatient kids with no sense of time what so ever.

I know what you mean. I'm only a new tab owner. But have been using Android for awhile.

I can't believe how impatient some people here have been. Stating things as ridiculous as "I'm going to sell my unit". Some people here just really need to relax & just enjoy their tab.

Anyway that's my two cents for the day :)