[Q] Locked bootloader on T-mobile?

Search This thread

Edbert

Sep 18, 2013
I've been thinking about dumping AT&T since they started limiting their unlimited plans. But I just got a Note-III and discovered the locked bootloader problem (from AT&T not Samsung) and that is the last straw.

I know T-Mobile is offering to buy out my contract but being able to root/flash my devices is the whole reason for running an Android and figured this was the best place to ask...

Are there any issues with unlocking/flashing/rooting T-Mobile Note-3s without tripping knox? I really REALLY want to tell the deathstar folks where they can shove their limited-unlimited plan and locked bootloaders!

re: bootloaders

I've been thinking about dumping AT&T since they started limiting their unlimited plans. But I just got a Note-III and discovered the locked bootloader problem (from AT&T not Samsung) and that is the last straw.

I know T-Mobile is offering to buy out my contract but being able to root/flash my devices is the whole reason for running an Android and figured this was the best place to ask...

Are there any issues with unlocking/flashing/rooting T-Mobile Note-3s without tripping knox? I really REALLY want to tell the deathstar folks where they can shove their limited-unlimited plan and locked bootloaders!

The bootloader is not locked on Note 3 Tmobile, however the knox is an issue.
You will trip knox with both Tmobile and AT&T if you flash custom roms and
or flash custom recoveries (cwm/twrp).

If you don't care about possibly voiding your warranty then knox is not an issue.

Good luck!

Reactions: Justinchi
re: de la vega

Thanks for the (amazingly) swift response.

So none of the current methods of avoiding knox (de la vega?) work with T-Mobile on the Note3?

De la vega works with 4.3 Tmobile Note 3 but it only allows you to ROOT the stock original firmware without
tripping KNOX, it does not help at all with flashing custom roms or custom recoveries like twrp or cwm.

Good luck!

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Here's something though most tmobile employees aren't going to check if the knox counter has changed so I wouldn't worry about it in the 1st place.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
The Warranty issue is if you have to send it to Samsung for warranty. If you have the Assuron warranty (the one you pay for monthly through Tmo) then voiding warranty doesn't matter as Assuron doesn't care if you have a tripped knox counter. Also some have posted on the VZW S4 forums about sending in an S4 to sammy with tripped knox and still having the repairs done. So as the guy above this post states, it really doesn't matter.

Prod1702

May 31, 2007
The Warranty issue is if you have to send it to Samsung for warranty. If you have the Assuron warranty (the one you pay for monthly through Tmo) then voiding warranty doesn't matter as Assuron doesn't care if you have a tripped knox counter. Also some have posted on the VZW S4 forums about sending in an S4 to sammy with tripped knox and still having the repairs done. So as the guy above this post states, it really doesn't matter.

there's ppl under general that talk about sending their note 3 into Sammy with tripped Knox and getting it back with 0x0 no extra cost. So i am sure no one really cares.

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
so can we assume that if you trip Knox, and down the road you want to use your Jump and change phones, that wont matter either?

moving from Sprint to t-mo this week, so I dont know how they are

thanks!

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
so can we assume that if you trip Knox, and down the road you want to use your Jump and change phones, that wont matter either?

thanks!

Yeah I wouldn't think it matters either. Tmo wouldn't sell a phone with an unlocked bootloader if they cared if you rooted and installed custom ROMS.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    re: bootloaders

The bootloader is not locked on Note 3 Tmobile, however the knox is an issue.
    You will trip knox with both Tmobile and AT&T if you flash custom roms and
    or flash custom recoveries (cwm/twrp).

If you don't care about possibly voiding your warranty then knox is not an issue.

Good luck!

thanks!

Nope it doesn't matter

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app