Modding HTC One X Desktop Dock?

Search This thread

tekkneke

Dec 2, 2011
Okay, so I have given up hope that HTC will be making the desktop dock that uses the pogo pins for our model anytime soon. I feel that the customs lockdown by Apple has really stunted the production of accessories for our phones since not many people have them yet.

So basically, I am wondering about the viability of modifying the HTC One X Desktop Dock to work with our phones (specifically this one here):

htc-one-x-desktop-cradle-cr-s650.jpg

I would think that one could dremel spots that are larger, and align the pins with our device. Does anyone who is handy with this kind of thing know if it would be possible?

jphilippon

Apr 15, 2012
Okay, so I have given up hope that HTC will be making the desktop dock that uses the pogo pins for our model anytime soon. I feel that the customs lockdown by Apple has really stunted the production of accessories for our phones since not many people have them yet.

So basically, I am wondering about the viability of modifying the HTC One X Desktop Dock to work with our phones (specifically this one here):

I would think that one could dremel spots that are larger, and align the pins with our device. Does anyone who is handy with this kind of thing know if it would be possible?

Bumping because I honestly didn't know what those 5 connections were for. And that'd be cool. :p

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
Customs lockdown,

A) I thought Americans can buy the HTC One X now.
B) There are more markets than the US.

I think the problem is the Galaxy SIII is the device "got to have it now Android fanboys" are looking for and the sales of the HTC One X was really not that great.

Small market = low sales of Accessories

Yeah I was curious about this too. Not that I'd really want to attempt it, but I am getting tired of the lack of AT&T (ONE XL) accessories and I really want this dock as well. I'd really hate to rough it up since it looks sleek in it's natural form. You could always shave down the bottom/corners to get the plugs to line up but I think the indent for the camera might still give you a slight issue and it wouldn't set right as a result.

I seriously hope they plan to release this for the AT&T version eventually.

iElvis

May 24, 2012
Modville
OnePlus 9 Pro

Without seeing the internals, it's impossible to know. Those pins are the charge/sync connection--note that there is no microUSB connection.

It's possible the assembly holding the pins is separate and moveable; its also possible that it's part of the main circuit board, in which case modding would be next to impossible for average DIY folks.

Even if the pins can be moved, the connections to the main board in things like this are often hair-thin wires that are very easy to break and next to impossible to solder back together.

I've tried mods/repairs like this in the past, and failed more often than I got it to work.

Last edited:

tekkneke

Dec 2, 2011
Customs lockdown,

A) I thought Americans can buy the HTC One X now.
B) There are more markets than the US.

I think the problem is the Galaxy SIII is the device "got to have it now Android fanboys" are looking for and the sales of the HTC One X was really not that great.

Small market = low sales of Accessories

US can buy One X now. The point is, it probably would have taken 2 months for there to have been an OEM One XL desktop dock under normal circumstances. But, since one of the biggest markets for the One XL didn't sell hardly any devices, it unquestionably set the sales way back. Then to make matters worse, when they finally did get going the GS3 was almost out so that hurt things even more.

So yeah, obviously GS3 will have hurt things, but don't think that the One X would not have done much better without Apple's meddling.

tekkneke

Dec 2, 2011
Without seeing the internals, it's impossible to know. Those pins are the charge/sync connection--note that there is no microUSB connection.

Right, that's why I want this in the first place.

It's possible the assembly holding the pins is separate and moveable; its also possible that it's part of the main circuit board, in which case modding would be next to impossible for average DIY folks.

Good call -- I hadn't even considered that it would be directly on the circuit board. I still would expect it is not, but there is still a decent chance.

Even if the pins can be moved, the connections to the main board in things like this are often hair-thin wires that are very easy to break and next to impossible to solder back together.
True enough.

PacoTheWhite

Jun 3, 2012
Lubbock
After all the effort you will put into modding it, and not even knowing if the mod will work. You're better off just waiting a few weeks until they release a HOXL version..

Just my opinion.

PacoTheWhite

Jun 3, 2012
Lubbock
What brand is this dock anyways? May be beneficial to email the manufacturer and see if they can give you any information on this unit, or if they will be releasing an ATT version anytime soon.

vioalas

Apr 3, 2012
Lakeland, Fl
What brand is this dock anyways? May be beneficial to email the manufacturer and see if they can give you any information on this unit, or if they will be releasing an ATT version anytime soon.

By HTC

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

The pins should be in the same spot, does anyone have this dock and can confirm or deny it?

Confirmed back in May that they're not in same spot.

chiraag

Nov 17, 2008
Sydney
this does exist.. i have seen and used one.... it ONLY works on the one X and not the XL. (the xl is the LTE / atnt version)... The pins on the ONE XL and differently located as everyone says and i can confirm.. i have not seen a dock like this for the XL yet... if any one has please reply.. with the model number..

the one is the thread is the S650..
Thanks

maratd

Mar 6, 2011
I gave up on this and just grabbed a dock off of eBay. They sell for 10 bucks a pop and they use the usb port. Certainly not as nice as the pogo pins would have been, but it works.

Marskramer14

Aug 16, 2012
Pictures of the electronics

Hi Folks,

I got me a One X cradle today, works pretty awesome.
Just drop the phone on it and it starts charging and playing music instantly (if music was already on.)
The sound is pretty good, just got no bass, but can't expect that of a dock with no woofer.

That's why I want to try and mod in a Jack plug in the circuit, so I can hook it up to my stereo really easy.
For that I was opening the dock and remembered this thread, may as well make some pictures and share.

In return, can anyone give me some advice on how to place the jack plug?
I was thinking of cutting the wires that go from the main PCB to the speakers and place a jack and a switch between.
So I can switch between jack and speakers with the switch.
But I'm not 100% sure this will work, any advice before I ruin my dock at the first day?
If I use this method, do I use two read wires and one black, or the other way around?
Would like to have a stereo output of cores.

Would it be better to hook it up before the main PCB (before the signal is amplified)?
I can't really figure out what wire is what, except for the wires that go to the speakers.

here's the album: http://imageshack.us/g/339/imag0092ms.jpg/

About the the small PCB with the 5 pogo pins.
If the spacing between the pins is the same on XL as on X, you could move this PCB and maybe make things fit for the XL. But doesn't seam easy. If the spacing is different, than it would be very very hard. The pins a re pressed through a small metal beam and than soldered individually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tekkneke

charliewynn

Sep 7, 2007
Hi Folks,
I was thinking of cutting the wires that go from the main PCB to the speakers and place a jack and a switch between.
But I'm not 100% sure this will work, any advice before I ruin my dock at the first day?
If I use this method, do I use two read wires and one black, or the other way around?

I /believe/ than your idea of putting a switch before the speakers would be fine (having the signal amplified before your plug to your own jack) But getting the signal before would be better...

There's a good chance that the pins are digital and you won't be able to get audio before the board.. You could have your phone in the dock.. with the dock opened up. Then take some old headphones and cut the jack off, take the wires from one earpiece and try the pins one by one (without undocking your phone) You definitely won't be able to hurt your phone by moving them around (I just wouldn't hold them down a long time if you're on ground and vcc) but for a moment should be fine

so I would try moving the earpiece wires onto the different pins (you really probably have to have it in the dock, I doubt that audio signal goes out unless the phone thinks it's in a dock..

But seriously I'm pretty confident that getting the signal just before the speakers would be fine

icingdeath88

Dec 11, 2008
Tampa
I have ordered a UK One X dock, and modded it to fit the US ATT phone, as suggested in this thread. I cut out a small rectangle where the pins are, and moved it over, and glued it into place with some loctite epoxy. It was extremely difficult to get the pins to be in just the right spot, and I didn't get them quite perfect (but really close), so it wouldn't work with the little tray part that goes between the phone and the dock (I guess it's an adapter to fit a bigger and smaller version of the phone or something??). But I was able to put some little foam spacers in between the phone and the dock to get it to line up just right. Not as pretty as the dock started, but it works great, so I am very happy with it.

Also, because it's the UK version, the wall plug is the UK type of plug with the 3 big prongs, so you will need an adapter to plug it into a US socket. Also, the end that plugs into the dock is kind of different from a regular micro usb plug. A regular micro usb plug will fit, though, so I tried one, with the charger that came with the phone, and it didn't work/charge. Dunno why.

The dock does block the headphone plug, and I also found that it makes the lock button difficult to press, but that might be because I couldn't fit the spacer tray thingy. The dock speaker does work, and is pretty loud. Not sure if I'd trust it for an alarm clock though.

I wouldn't really recommend attempting it unless you really want to have a dock. This is the first phone I've gotten that has pogo pads, and I really wanted a dock that would use them, and I've done enough mods like this that I know I'll be able to at least have a working dock at the end, even if it's really ugly. Even then, it took a lot longer than I was expecting.

I'm at work, but I'll take/post some pics when I get back home, sorry, but I forgot to this morning.

Also, thank you Marskramer14, I wouldn't have attempted this if you hadn't posted the pics of what it looks like inside.

Last edited:

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have ordered a UK One X dock, and modded it to fit the US ATT phone, as suggested in this thread. I cut out a small rectangle where the pins are, and moved it over, and glued it into place with some loctite epoxy. It was extremely difficult to get the pins to be in just the right spot, and I didn't get them quite perfect (but really close), so it wouldn't work with the little tray part that goes between the phone and the dock (I guess it's an adapter to fit a bigger and smaller version of the phone or something??). But I was able to put some little foam spacers in between the phone and the dock to get it to line up just right. Not as pretty as the dock started, but it works great, so I am very happy with it.

Also, because it's the UK version, the wall plug is the UK type of plug with the 3 big prongs, so you will need an adapter to plug it into a US socket. Also, the end that plugs into the dock is kind of different from a regular micro usb plug. A regular micro usb plug will fit, though, so I tried one, with the charger that came with the phone, and it didn't work/charge. Dunno why.

The dock does block the headphone plug, and I also found that it makes the lock button difficult to press, but that might be becausei I couldn't fit the spacer tray thingy. The dock speaker does work, and is pretty loud. Not sure if I'd trust it for an alarm clock though.

I wouldn't really recommend attempting it unless you really want to have a dock. This is the first phone I've gotten that has pogo pads, and I really wanted a dock that would use them, and I've done enough mods like this that I know I'll be able to at least have a working dock at the end, even if it's really ugly. Even then, it took a lot longer than I was expecting.

I'm at work, but I'll take/post some pics when I get back home, sorry, but I forgot to this morning.

Also, thank you Marskramer14, I wouldn't have attempted this if you hadn't posted the pics of what it looks like inside.

Wait...so the ATT version of the HTC One X is called the One XL? I guess I'm farrrrr behind on my model number knowledge, because I thought the Telstra/another Canadian carrier version was the XL.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

The dock does block the headphone plug, and I also found that it makes the lock button difficult to press, but that might be because I couldn't fit the spacer tray thingy. The dock speaker does work, and is pretty loud. Not sure if I'd trust it for an alarm clock though.

I know this thread is really old....but this whole mod was just for the pogo pins? For devices that don't rely on them, the international One X and the ATT version will be cross-compatible, right? At least as far as accessories go, the only different is the pogo pin placement? So cases, and devices that use the Microusb port, or other dimensions should be exactly the same, right? I had a ATT HOX, but I ended up tossing it for the Note. It was always known to me, and spoken about in discussions as the "ATT HTC One X" or ATT HOX.

I wound up buying one again at a later date for my sister....and now I'm looking to get her a dock so she'll be able to use it on a nightstand/end table as a sort of digital clock/ alarm clock, after I install some fancy app.

What do I need to buy? And I need to get one specifically for the ATT HTC One X? And it's called the One XL? Sorry....I had mine the first week it came out....quite a while ago. The customs issues are ironed out now, but the HTC website, when clicking accessories on the device page shows 0 accessories....ridiculous.

Any recommendations for a affordable dock? Any other killer accessories I might consider for her? Christmas is nipping me in the butt here, and I'm hurting for time. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Eltahur

Nov 16, 2010
Boston

Hi. I just ran into this old thread. I just got my att htc one x plus and i really want to make this dock work for it. This morning i received the uk dock so im ready for some modding. Do you still have it? do you have any pics of your result? thank you and much appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi. I just ran into this old thread. I just got my att htc one x plus and i really want to make this dock work for it. This morning i received the uk dock so im ready for some modding. Do you still have it? do you have any pics of your result? thank you and much appreciated.

Sorry for the late response, forgot I ever even posted this. I still use the modded dock to charge my phone most of the time.

Some info which might be useful:
    There are 8 screws holding the dock together. 2 in each front corner and 4 along the back side, basically. Peel up the rubber on the bottom to get to them.
    I was planning to switch to nicer little foam pieces for the phone to sit against on the bottom, but I got lazy and left them there. Those are the bits of red tape in the pics below. I also never removed the tape, because it's clear and doesn't bother me.
    There is a magnet in the dock to help get the phone positioned right when you set it down.
    @ Jamesyboy The difference between the UK (or intl or w/e) version and the US version should be limited to just the pogo pins.

Here are some pics.

IMAG0438.JPG

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg
    It's on the AT&T store, but apparently it hasn't shipped out to anyone yet. Also they won't apply my discount to it either. Very weird.
    Pictures of the electronics

Hi Folks,

I got me a One X cradle today, works pretty awesome.
    Just drop the phone on it and it starts charging and playing music instantly (if music was already on.)
    The sound is pretty good, just got no bass, but can't expect that of a dock with no woofer.

That's why I want to try and mod in a Jack plug in the circuit, so I can hook it up to my stereo really easy.
    For that I was opening the dock and remembered this thread, may as well make some pictures and share.

Would it be better to hook it up before the main PCB (before the signal is amplified)?
    I can't really figure out what wire is what, except for the wires that go to the speakers.

here's the album: http://imageshack.us/g/339/imag0092ms.jpg/

About the the small PCB with the 5 pogo pins.
    If the spacing between the pins is the same on XL as on X, you could move this PCB and maybe make things fit for the XL. But doesn't seam easy. If the spacing is different, than it would be very very hard. The pins a re pressed through a small metal beam and than soldered individually.
    Another CR-S650 Mod for AT&T HOX/HOX+

After see icingdeath88's attempt at modding the CR-S650 dock to fit the AT&T HOX, I was inspired to order the dock and make the same mods for my AT&T HOX+. It was actually a lot easier than I had anticipated because the HOXL+ POGO pins are only shifted over 1 slot. All that was needed was to drill a new hole and move the POGO board over one slot. I didn't have to cut out the entire piece like he did.

Pics and details posted on the HOX+ thread here.

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" to icingdeath88's photos. Now I also have a working POGO dock for the AT&T HOX+! :D
    Neat. It looked to me like the pads were moved both down and to the side, and I couldn't get them to line up when I tried it. But if it's just moved down by one pad, then it's a lot easier to mod it the way you did.

Also, I find it funny that you had to insert two pads on the bottom of the dock to raise your phone whereas I had to shave off the two plastic tabs where you have your pads to lower my phone to get a better contact. But looks like neither one of us needs the plastic tray nor will we be able to use a case w/ our phones.

Just wished HTC had made a stupid dock for the HOXL/HOXL+ from the get-go...