FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Knox/Kernel/Bootloader Development SM-900A

3,317 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,560
 
By Da_G, Inactive Senior Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus on 27th January 2014, 10:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys!

I've been a bit busy in life for my first two months or so of owning the Galaxy Note 3 SM-900A. But finally I've run into a bit of a block of time, so I'm hoping to get some bootloader work done. I've already been studying it for a day or two, and am ready to begin some modifications in attempt to disable Knox/Signature verification/etc. But unfortunately I was broken into a few months back, and all my specialty hardware related to brick recovery is stolen (JTAG, etc.) - so I need some help from anyone who has a nice cozy return policy/warranty/replacement system available to them, who can risk rendering the device into a total brick (perhaps not bootable by any known method other than JTAG)

If you can help me out, please PM, I will get back to you soon regarding contact methods etc. - I am used to using an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net where #xda-devs lives, but perhaps we could use a more up-to-date collaboration method also.

Again, we will make every effort to do incremental testing that runs as much a minimal risk of brick as possible, but with such things there are no guarantees. Be ready and absolutely willing for a brick if you want to help. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Da_G Ad-Free
27th January 2014, 12:18 PM |#2  
TheDriller's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Meter: 6,698
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G

Hi guys!

I've been a bit busy in life for my first two months or so of owning the Galaxy Note 3 SM-900A. But finally I've run into a bit of a block of time, so I'm hoping to get some bootloader work done. I've already been studying it for a day or two, and am ready to begin some modifications in attempt to disable Knox/Signature verification/etc. But unfortunately I was broken into a few months back, and all my specialty hardware related to brick recovery is stolen (JTAG, etc.) - so I need some help from anyone who has a nice cozy return policy/warranty/replacement system available to them, who can risk rendering the device into a total brick (perhaps not bootable by any known method other than JTAG)

If you can help me out, please PM, I will get back to you soon regarding contact methods etc. - I am used to using an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net where #xda-devs lives, but perhaps we could use a more up-to-date collaboration method also.

Again, we will make every effort to do incremental testing that runs as much a minimal risk of brick as possible, but with such things there are no guarantees. Be ready and absolutely willing for a brick if you want to help. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Done and done. I'm ready to crack this thing :thumbup: let's do this.

Sent from my SM-N900A
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheDriller For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheDriller Ad-Free
27th January 2014, 12:59 PM |#3  
Da_G's Avatar
OP Inactive Senior Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Flag Riverside, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,560
 
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Has anyone attempted patching of the SBL? Simple one-byte patches of code there or to the Kernel? Does the signature verification catch these, obviously full image verification is only done at flash-time on the various open partitions as they are modifiable freely without tripping Knox/etc. Hard to find any public-facing info on if anyone has done work on it yet, trying to get a feel before I start so I don't duplicate work.

Also, in poking around, Carrier IQ seems active on the AT&T Build. Surprised more people aren't up in arms over this given it's previous reception
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Da_G Ad-Free
27th January 2014, 01:21 PM |#4  
Walter.White's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,062
 
Donate to Me
More
I think you should talk to @ryanbg and @Surge1223 They have done lots of research regarding this Knox/BL and have made some pretty good progress.

I personally think that doing that will make sig check fail and the Knox flag would trip 0x0 and it won't boot.

P.S. No matter what you do don't flash over RPM because that will definitely hard brick your device. (No SD Odin mode either).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2476353

Also please keep this thread clean because most of this kinda threads get closed down before because of flame wars.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Walter.White For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Walter.White Ad-Free
27th January 2014, 02:52 PM |#5  
gordec's Avatar
Senior Member
San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 253
 
More
DA_G is pretty reliable with good reputation. He can play dirty and get away with it just a little more.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to gordec For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gordec Ad-Free
27th January 2014, 06:31 PM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,750
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G

Has anyone attempted patching of the SBL? Simple one-byte patches of code there or to the Kernel? Does the signature verification catch these, obviously full image verification is only done at flash-time on the various open partitions as they are modifiable freely without tripping Knox/etc. Hard to find any public-facing info on if anyone has done work on it yet, trying to get a feel before I start so I don't duplicate work.

Also, in poking around, Carrier IQ seems active on the AT&T Build. Surprised more people aren't up in arms over this given it's previous reception

Message me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ryanbg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ryanbg Ad-Free
27th January 2014, 07:57 PM |#7  
Da_G's Avatar
OP Inactive Senior Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Flag Riverside, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,560
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbg

Message me, I'm taking a look at the SBL right now. I also found the source for it...

Hi Ryan, I surely am interested in looking at the SBL source also. Is it a generic platform source or specific to the AT&T variant?

PM sent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Da_G Ad-Free
28th January 2014, 04:13 PM |#8  
tazman171's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane Valley
Thanks Meter: 270
 
Donate to Me
More
Hey Da_G! Just got the AT&T Note III myself, dropped my G-Note and broke it, but don't have any of the hardware needed to do what you are doing. Will be following this thread though and great hearing from you again.
30th January 2014, 09:31 AM |#9  
Da_G's Avatar
OP Inactive Senior Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Flag Riverside, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,560
 
Donate to Me
More
I don't have any of the hardare needed anymore either. Flying blind

And I just missed a byte flashing to aboot, bam, hard brick. Lets see if i can recover
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Da_G Ad-Free
30th January 2014, 10:00 AM |#10  
Da_G's Avatar
OP Inactive Senior Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Flag Riverside, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,560
 
Donate to Me
More
SD Card restore worked wonderfully. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2476353

Had made a 500mb image beforehand, wrote it to SD, booted from it, then flashed previously-dumped aboot back, fixed right up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Da_G Ad-Free
30th January 2014, 10:41 AM |#11  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,524
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G

SD Card restore worked wonderfully. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2476353

Had made a 500mb image beforehand, wrote it to SD, booted from it, then flashed previously-dumped aboot back, fixed right up.

Nice, I managed to hard brick testing N900w8 bootloader on my N9005, Reason I was playing around is the N900w8 has the capability of downgrading from 4.4.2 NA2 to 4.3 and rooting via CF-Autoroot without tripping KNOX and upgrading/downgrading again with zero issues. - I flatlined straight out
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift radicalisto Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes