How to unbrick the soft bricked Captivate

Search This thread

Belaflek

Jul 21, 2010
Man. I gotta stop doing this., First phone brick before I knew of the recovery...2 phones with shutdown issues and now. On Odin one click...I guess my USB decided to flake. Stopped right at the start of 'factory' and now none of the' remove battery and stand on one leg while humming kumbaya' is working. No battery icon on connect, nothing. I may be done messing around with teh phone.

mrschwarz

Nov 27, 2005
Flower Mound, TX
By following the above procedure, I can get my phone into DL mode, but Odin doesn't recognize it when plugged in. I have restarted the PC multiple times and reinstalled the drivers on the PC. Odin never sees the phone when it's in DL mode.

Before I tried to install Froyo, it worked each time I connected it.

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
By following the above procedure, I can get my phone into DL mode, but Odin doesn't recognize it when plugged in. I have restarted the PC multiple times and reinstalled the drivers on the PC. Odin never sees the phone when it's in DL mode.

Before I tried to install Froyo, it worked each time I connected it.

only way I can get Odin to recognize my phone is with the SIM card pulled out.

mrschwarz

Nov 27, 2005
Flower Mound, TX
I tried the same process on a laptop running Win 7 32 bit and it worked. Turns out that the version of the Froyo I downloaded was a bad file. I reinstalled the original Odin image and it worked. I then successfully installed Cognition 2.2. I can then dependably kill the phone by installing the original Froyo file I downloaded.

spdwaver1

Oct 19, 2010
During several attempts to perform the Odin procedure, I thought I had completely bricked the phone (i.e., no power, no USB indicator; nothing whatsoever).

Setup:

- Samsung Captivate SGH-I897 JF6 (ECLAIR 2.1)

- Ubuntu 10.10, running Windows XP on a Virtual Box (must run as 'root' or you will have no USB pass-through. OSE version does not permit USB pass-through, FYI).

- Odin3 app. on Windows appliance

Procedure (per the OP, omitted item #7, added Virtual Box instructions):

1. Remove the battery, external SD card and SIM card.
2. Wait 10 seconds.
3. Open odin3
4. Connect usb cable.
5. Hold volume up + volume down (did not press Power).
6. Insert battery.
7. **OMITTED**
8. The yellow "Downloading" image appears...release the up/down volume button.
9. Open up the 'Devices' list in Virtual Box, while in Windows, with Odin3 running.
10. Select (check) the device (listed by a different name, since it is not recognized the way it would be if it were not bricked) from the 'Devices' list.
11. Odin3 will recognize the device, as noted in the designated field. When the device has been recognized, press "Start", which will begin the download process.
12. If the application hangs or times out, you must remove the USB cable and battery, and begin the whole process over again.
13. Wait for the device to completely boot up. Once booted up, remove the USB cable and power down the device, then power back up. You should now be either in 2.2 or 2.1 (I retained 2.1 during this and subsequent attempts).

I had followed the process as originally outlined above, in addition to my added instructions for Virtual Box appliances, and got it working (I only needed to depress the volume up/down button, not the power button) several times.

I was on my way to get it replaced...not necessary now.

So, it would appear as though I have a bit more reading to do *if* I want to attempt this again, but at least I know that there is a procedure (the only one that has worked so far) to fall back on.

Thank you!

MaxRabbit

Oct 21, 2010
Austin
Thank you so much! This helped me when Odin flaked on me and my phone wouldn't do anything. Thanks again!!!

droid330

Sep 30, 2010
north east ohio
unbricked,thanx!!!

thanx so much-i was bricked trying to install the 2e kernel (i wasn't patient -stopped the odin from doing its job:eek:) will be more patient this time!

marcosleonefilho

Jan 6, 2009
Download mode finally!

Mine was totally bricked. Nothing on this thread solved the issue. Even the 3rd method in following article did not work out [1]:

samsungcaptivate.wikia.com/wiki/Putting_the_Phone_into_Download_Mode

However, this post [2] lead me to the final solution:

worked...took a few tries but some trick with this captivate to get it into download mode.. i was totally bricked too, diag screen with PC/Phone icons and exclamation mark. for me 1.) plug usb, 2.) hold power and vol up/down and connect battery (it fell out) and i was in download mode

The solution is almost in [2], however, when you combine it with [1], you get following:

- open odin;
- remove battery and usb cable;
- wait 10s;
- plug usb cable;
- hold (vol up)+(vol down)+(power): do not release them until the end of this procedure;
- place the battery in a way that it only touches the contacts (take care so that it does not slip away);
- soon you will see the icon "phone-exclamation mark-computer";
- then, after a while the screen will go blank;
- the "phone-exclamation mark-computer" will appear again;
- by the time you see that the screen goes blank again (2nd blank cycle), release the battery;
- when you see the phone in download mode, it is time to release the 3 buttons;
- do not put the back in the phone (leave the phone without battery)
- use the odin to flash some firmware.

Hope this could help.

Barsky

Aug 23, 2010
MintMobile
OK, I think this is working. I did something before that left my phone in a state where it would only show a little icon of a phone with dots leadng to a computer with a yellow yield sign between them.
But, I did this to myself....Was using odin to go to factory default. didn't seem to be doing anything on the Download screen for a good while so I pulled the battery.
Bought this through amazon, so when I went to the ATT store they couldn't do anything for me. Got home and found this thread. As always, XDA to the rescue. You Guys Rock. and in the time it took me to type all this, I got back in. Wee

Last edited:

paulo.bartos

Dec 26, 2007
Brasilia
How i did it

Yes do the described volime up and down held in while plugging in the usb cable to the PC with odin open! Phone must be off!

I bricked mine the same way, with ODIN hangin, solved like this post.

1) remove all cards and battery and PC point of USB rebooted my pc.
2)Open odin one click
3) Put battery back
4) hold both volumes
5) Plug USB on PC
6) Got Yellow triangle of happiness :):):):):):):):):):)
7) Pressed start on ODIN.

shiftylock

Jul 18, 2009
Columbus, OH
I unplugged my phone during odin and got a black screen.
I freaked out.
I read this.
I'm better.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jpvinny28

Nov 2, 2010
Guys .. I semi-bricked my phone while installing froyo.... left with the phone-comp screen two days... been trying all the procedures... but nothing works...

how much time shd i press the volume buttons for the download to appear.. TIA

bedwa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
Guys .. I semi-bricked my phone while installing froyo.... left with the phone-comp screen two days... been trying all the procedures... but nothing works...

how much time shd i press the volume buttons for the download to appear.. TIA
I would use the Froyo one click after putting into download mode (hold Vol up and down and plug in usb) re update with Froyo and then let it boot, use the same Froyo oneclick and master clear, followed by reinstalling stock with it's one click. That's what has worked for me......

marcosleonefilho

Jan 6, 2009
Maybe you are stuck at AT&T logo screen. If the volume up+volume down while plugging the usb cable trick does not work for you to put the phone into download mode, try the following:
- remove battery, sim card and usb cable;
- plug the usb cable;
- hold both volume keys and power key;
- touch the battery contacts with the battery for a few noments. When you see the dowload mode logo, remove the battery.

Use odin one-click to recover your phone to a stock rom, but do not put the battery back until the recovery has ended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

paulo.bartos

Dec 26, 2007
Brasilia
If you do it correctly it shiul be fast. Max 5 secs after the computer detects new us hardware.

You should try both methods, vol+power and just volume. For me, i only needed to press both volumes before replug the usb.

And always open odin first.

If odin don't detect, even if windows does, try to unplug usb and plug it back again, if you are at yellow download page.

mhajny

Nov 1, 2010
thanks

it seems that thier can be different button release combos. i opened odin, then removed sim ,sd, batt. wait 10 sec, then install batt, hold 3 buttons while connecting usb. waited for little connecting icon to flash 2nd time, then when it went to black screen after second flash let go of power but keep holding vol.BAM!!! download mode

Nov 7, 2010
Hello. Of course I’m here because I believe I have basically bricked my Captivate. I have followed all the instructions both on this page and from the original Odin3 page here at xda, as well as many other pages and sites on the web. I can get to the download screen on my phone and see some activity within Odin3, but I was wondering what I should be seeing within Odin3 itself please, what type of activity, if any? Its been well over 30 minutes now, and still shows (I tried to get a screenshot to attach, but no go, sorry.):

0:[COM11]

<ID:0/011> Added!!
<ID:0/011>Odin v.3 engine (ID:11)..
<ID:0/00>File analysis..

I know the developer said to have patience, but I really am new to this and need to know something is happening to hopefully restore my phone. How long does one wait and have patience before knowing the ball game is over please?
Is this what I am supposed to be seeing please? Or is my PC and/or phone stuck in some kind of perpetual loop/freeze? I’m pretty good working with Windows, both in Explorer and installing components and love to tweak things and even play with the registry from time to time. This Unix/Linux/Android has me stumped though. I could hack my Moto Razor and Krzr pretty much at will, but this is a new beast entirely. I only mention that to let you know I’m not a complete newbie at tinkering with computers, but I’m truly a novice compared with the great minds here.

One other odd thing please. When I connect the Captivate to my PC (Windows 7 64bit), I lose my internet connection. My only means of high speed internet (and thus only) is an ATT air card. The Captivate or Odin3, or both combined, must freak out my air card drivers for some reason, so I cannot utilize any links or suggestions I may run across to solve this until I restart my PC.

Thank you to any and all of you who take your valuable time and expertise to reply to this, toad

askpcguy

Aug 8, 2010
Hello. Of course I’m here because I believe I have basically bricked my Captivate. I have followed all the instructions both on this page and from the original Odin3 page here at xda, as well as many other pages and sites on the web. I can get to the download screen on my phone and see some activity within Odin3, but I was wondering what I should be seeing within Odin3 itself please, what type of activity, if any? Its been well over 30 minutes now, and still shows (I tried to get a screenshot to attach, but no go, sorry.):

0:[COM11]

<ID:0/011> Added!!
<ID:0/011>Odin v.3 engine (ID:11)..
<ID:0/00>File analysis..

I know the developer said to have patience, but I really am new to this and need to know something is happening to hopefully restore my phone. How long does one wait and have patience before knowing the ball game is over please?
Is this what I am supposed to be seeing please? Or is my PC and/or phone stuck in some kind of perpetual loop/freeze? I’m pretty good working with Windows, both in Explorer and installing components and love to tweak things and even play with the registry from time to time. This Unix/Linux/Android has me stumped though. I could hack my Moto Razor and Krzr pretty much at will, but this is a new beast entirely. I only mention that to let you know I’m not a complete newbie at tinkering with computers, but I’m truly a novice compared with the great minds here.

One other odd thing please. When I connect the Captivate to my PC (Windows 7 64bit), I lose my internet connection. My only means of high speed internet (and thus only) is an ATT air card. The Captivate or Odin3, or both combined, must freak out my air card drivers for some reason, so I cannot utilize any links or suggestions I may run across to solve this until I restart my PC.

Thank you to any and all of you who take your valuable time and expertise to reply to this, toad

I would try using another USB port but follow the steps outlined.

Pull the battery.
Remove the SIM and micro SD card.
Open odin on the computer.
Plug in the USB cable to the phone ONLY.
Insert the battery.
Hold volume up and down.
Plug in the USB cable to the computer.
Odin will show the COM port it's using and the phone will show the downloading graphic.

When you use the odin-one click JF6 to the STOCK captivate rom, clicking start will download the firmware. You will see progress indicators on the phone and odin.

Wait for everything to finish.

Nov 7, 2010
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Sir, you certainly live up to your name!!! And as the young folks say, OMG!!!! :D You have certainly saved the day for me askpcguy, as the steps you outlined did the trick in less than 5 minutes!!!! Holy cow!!! Thank you once again for sharing your valuable time and expertise with me, your reply was the answer to many prayers by both myself and my minister Mom (yep, I called in the higher power too!! :cool: ).

For others going through this as well, if you have the white phone/PC image, there is definitely hope, especially if you follow askpcguy's connection steps here exactly. They were either just a bit more detailed than earlier in the thread or I missed it, but I did notice askpcguy has been kind enough to offer assistance throughout this thread. Folks like he, designgears and C3P0LOL certainly deserve donations, so if you have a PayPal account or a donation button I missed pcguy, send me your PayPal email address if you want and this Friday (payday) I'll send you enough for a 6 pack or something. Got to get some love to designgears and C3P0 as well!!

BTW, for folks following these guides, if all you see is "File analysis.." within Odin and no blue progress bar on the screen directly above the Samsung logo, try askpcguy's steps again or you will be wasting your time. I was so excited, I completely forgot what Odin was indicating during the fix, sorry. But it will be fast, and a blue bar will be on the Captivate screen. And you will be elated!!!!!

By the way, I used C3P0's thread in which he had a different version of Odin with different drivers (I believe), so if you want to try that route, copy and paste " {Stock Rom} Odin JF6 with 3 button fix " into search here at xda and it will take you to the thread I got the needed software and guidance from (newbies can't post outside links). It was slightly more work and probably unnecessary, but I had given up on Odin3 by that point. BTW, I uninstalled/deleted Odin3 and uninstalled the drivers from the Odin3 thread as well to help my chances of a recovery. Then before and after a reboot, I used CCleaner (love Crap Cleaner) to check/clean my registry and clean temp files before attempting the Odin JF6 fix (BACKUP that registry if you do delete the entries please).

Thank you again pcguy, I pray whatever or whoever you believe in blesses you a hundred fold for your kindness. And to all you other folks going through this, just keep trying because it will work if done correctly.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE:
    So far this has been the only sure fire method I've found to 100% get around any brick situation regardless of firmware, etc. This only works for the captivate, not any other galaxy s variant.
    Situations: phone-!-Computer / no download mode
    Black Screen / RST_STATUS 0x0
    Procedure:
    1. Remove the battery, external SD card and SIM card.
    2. Wait 10 seconds.
    3. Open odin3
    4. Connect usb cable.
    5. Hold volume up + volume down + Power.
    6. Insert battery.
    7. Release POWER BUTTON ONLY.
    You should now be in immediate download mode.
    Please forgive me if this is duplicate some where, but I tried every procedure I could find on google to no avail, then accidentally found this method just before I was going to box it back up and see if my buddy at AT&T would make me eat it or not.
    My situation was: Launched Odin3 to flash H3 firmware, died twice in the middle, and on the third time locked up half ways just at the beginning of factoryfs.rfs -- Then the phone did nothing. Blackscreen is all. Interestingly enough, while in the state if you hold volume up + power, it will give a hw diagnostic screen. Beyond that I could get no where. Just a black screen, no acknowledgement when connected to PC, no charging indicator, nothing.
    If this is a dupe Im sorry but this method I could not find and hope to make it readily available to people who may think their phones bricked.

Update 12/22/2010:
    How to BRICK the phone / WARNING!!!
    If for whatever reason you decide to use Odin to flash a stock GTI9000 ROM and manually add the kernels and modems using a "pure" 2.2.1 sammy rom. BEWARE.
    Researching a lot, it seems the consensus is that the sbl in the 2.2.1 versions of the GTI9000 has *hard* download mode crippled.. Meaning if there is a software screw up YOU CANNOT USE A USB JIG OR ANY OTHER METHOD OF GETTING THE PHONE IN DOWNLOAD MODE!!! To fix it you'll need a new one or JTAG to replace the bootloader.
    As far as I can tell, beyond getting completely rid of the AT&T logo, there is no need to flash boot/sbl to get the "purity" of the 2.2.1 sammy roms.
    Extract all files from the tar EXCEPT boot/sbl and re-tar and flash just those to avoid overwriting the stock captivate boot loader.
    Also, it does not appear the boot/sbl from the captivate 2.2 leak suffers this same problem.
    For any one iffy on bricking their phones, stay away from roms that remove COMPLETELY the AT&T logo on boot. This generally means the boot loader has been messed with any you may be screwed if you soft brick the phone. Most CWM roms dont overwrite the boot/sbl, but some can and do. Watch yourself.. if it the AT&T logo goes away COMPLETELY, I recommend flashing JF6 with One click while the roms alive using adb reboot download and try another rom.
    What worked for me was: Pull the battery, sim and micro sd card. Open odin on the PC. Insert the battery. Hold vol up and down then with the buttons held connect the usb cable. Just remember to plug in the usb cable with the vol up and down held in and odin must be open on the computer.

I also ran into the vol up plus power red text screen. Interesting to note that one of the fields will change depending if the usb cable is connected or not.
    I would like to point out that you can still continue to flash if phone ! computer sign is on. Just make sure odin recognizes your phone "COMM5". I was currently on GB bootloaders and stock UCKK4, hit start and it worked. I was flashing a new kernel.

That will only work on i897 GB bootloaders. As for commx, the number can be any number, it's just what the computer assigns it.
    thanks!

worked...took a few tries but some trick with this captivate to get it into download mode.. i was totally bricked too, diag screen with PC/Phone icons and exclamation mark. for me 1.) plug usb, 2.) hold power and vol up/down and connect battery (it fell out) and i was in download mode
    Plz help me My phone was on download mode then I opened odin after some time odin said completed and my mobile download was stucked in de middle then I took off the batary..plz help me to get it back working..plzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

Where you flashing Odin KK4 with bootloaders? If so, by stopping it, you might've hard-bricked your phone. If you weren't flashing the bootloaders version, it's easily recoverable.

Do you get any response from your phone? Lights, vibration, getting it in download mode?