[APP][SVC][Apr 4 2010]ReRemind V7 / Periodic audible reminders for waiting events

Search This thread

thx1200

Inactive Recognized Developer
Hi,

Has anyone came up with a solution on how to reduce the batt drain ?
I have HTC HD2 with 1.66 WWE ROM, and 2.14.50.04 radio. Without ReRemind I've used the phone for about 2 days without the need for a recharge (some talk time, some SMS, and some time with a BT connection to my car unit). Now, while ReRemind is installed, the batt time is less than a day. For example:

7:50 - 100%
8:30 - 96%
8:52 - 94%
9:09 - 92%
11:45 - 77%
13:21 - 68%
13:48 - 65%

these are stats from today. And that's only standby mode - I haven't made any calls, or sent any messages today.
The above gives about 1%/10min of batt drainage. That's a lot for standby only.

Basically, anything that might change the value of the monitored registry values will cause ReRemind to wake the device. So if something is rapidly flipping the values, that would cause your device to basically be awake all the time. Please note that this is highly unusual behavior for a device.

I use ReRemind all the time on my TP2, with active reminders frequently and get over two days on a typical charge. Same as without. I'm not saying that ReRemind isn't affecting it, but my suspicion is that its something else in combination with ReRemind. More than likely, you just can't use this type of program without drain on your device/ROM until you discover the combination. :-(

Based on the percentage values you are posting, you must have the 1% battery mod installed. I found that drained my battery when I tried that. Maybe there's a combination problem of that with ReRemind? Just guessing...

szafran81

Aug 20, 2010
Sosnowiec
Yes, I have 1% mod installed.
I've unistalled ReRemind yesterday.
Today's drainage:
6:20 - 100%
16:30 - 80%

That's 20%/10h 10min, which gives at least 1%/30min (and I've used the phone today, so it's not only stand by as it was yesterday).
Maybe I'll try to test it without the 1% mod, but till then I think that I'll look for a ReRemind substitute.

BTW. ReRemind didn't uninstall properly on my phone. Had to manually delete the link from \windows\startup

I've decided, that I'll try it with yours BattLineSvc.

edit: Nope, same thing. Batt drainage ~1%/10min with ReRemind installed. So it wasn't 1% mod's fault. Since all other apps (and I don't have many of them installed, and most of them are apps and not services) work well, my conclusion is that's ReReminds fault.

Regards
Szafran

Last edited:

thx1200

Yes, I have 1% mod installed.
I've unistalled ReRemind yesterday.
Today's drainage:
6:20 - 100%
16:30 - 80%

That's 20%/10h 10min, which gives at least 1%/30min (and I've used the phone today, so it's not only stand by as it was yesterday).
Maybe I'll try to test it without the 1% mod, but till then I think that I'll look for a ReRemind substitute.

BTW. ReRemind didn't uninstall properly on my phone. Had to manually delete the link from \windows\startup

I've decided, that I'll try it with yours BattLineSvc.

edit: Nope, same thing. Batt drainage ~1%/10min with ReRemind installed. So it wasn't 1% mod's fault. Since all other apps (and I don't have many of them installed, and most of them are apps and not services) work well, my conclusion is that's ReReminds fault.

Regards
Szafran

That's unfortunate. Let me know if you discover anything new (such as another similar app that doesn't have this issue).

The Windows\Startup link will be removed unless something sets it to read-only. I've had apps do that too. Not sure why it happens. Haven't seen it happen with ReRemind before though.

EDIT: Just thought of another test, if you feel so inspired. Install ReRemind, but uncheck all the possible notifications. This will test to see if it's a part of the core service that's the issue, or one of the specific reminders. Then if it's okay, turn them back on one by one until you find the offending notification.

szafran81

Aug 20, 2010
Sosnowiec
Just thought of another test, if you feel so inspired. Install ReRemind, but uncheck all the possible notifications. This will test to see if it's a part of the core service that's the issue, or one of the specific reminders. Then if it's okay, turn them back on one by one until you find the offending notification.

I'll try that. But untill now I've only used the Reminder notification, because I use the calendar as an alarm clock (I have unusual working days/hours).

EDIT: No notifications enabled. Batt drain ~1%/15min in standby. That's max 15h, but only in standby.

Last edited:

g0tch

Dec 29, 2009
Somerset
Smart Watches
Notice after Uninstall

Hello,
I’m hoping this is the right place to air my problem. If not, please move it to the right thread.
I downloaded ReReminder from Omarket, thinking that it was what I needed. Didn’t realise that it required data connection for it to work. I then uninstalled it and when I start my phone I get this notice:

StartRedimindsvc.exe.

The file startremindsvc cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring the file.

I have reinstalled, uninstalled numerous times but the notice won’t go away. Can anyone help me to remove the notice on startup?
My phone is HTH HD2.

Kind regards,

Last edited:

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
...I downloaded ReReminder from Omarket, thinking that it was what I needed. Didn’t realise that it required data connection for it to work. I then uninstalled it and when I start my phone I get this notice:

StartRedimindsvc.exe.

The file startremindsvc cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring the file...
ReRemind does not require a data connection at all, not sure what you observed there. restart to confirm the problem is solved.

To get rid of the startup error, try looking in your Startup folder in the Windows folder. Delete any ReRemind links there.

I would then suggest downloading ReRemind from this thread & installing it properly if you still want the featured it offers.

g0tch

Dec 29, 2009
Somerset
Smart Watches
jb789,

Many thanks for your answer. When I installed ReReminder, it complained that it could not start. I just assumed that it needed data connection. The reason for installing it was because I’ve not been able to find the phones own setting for the particular wave file I wanted for reminder. Eventually I did find the setting. I was looking for the start-up folder but it eluded me till you said.

All is well now, thank you for your kind post.

Best regards,

guebert

May 3, 2009
Feature Request: Cleanup Notification Queue

Hallo!

There exists a "well known" bug in WM regarding notification queue. (See http://www.thepoorhouse.org.uk/fixing_windows_mobile_task_and_event_reminders).

Fortunately I didn't have any problems with notifications under WM 2003 - 6.1 (MPX200, VDA2, X1) until I got my HTC HD mini with WM 6.5.3. :-(
Sometimes there will be no reminder (no sound).

Now I use DotFred's Taskmanager (http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm) to cleanup the notification queue on startup (link autostart-folder to "taskmgr.exe /nd") and CT Scheduler Lite (http://www.connectivetools.com/ctschedulerlt_ppc.html) to do this also at 12 and 17 pm.

It would be very useful, if ReRemind had such a feature to cleanup the queue (or at least call any program like TaskMgr) every time when it is going to ReRemind, because this might be because of no alarm sound by windows.

Michael

bdavis69

Oct 27, 2010
Constantly ReReminds

Hi,

LOVE this program. I find it outrageous that MS left something so critical as a reminder of a missed call, text, voice mail, etc. out of Windows mobile. I have an HTC TP2 and ran into an apparent "bug" in the text messaging where it kept telling me there was 1 unread text message even though there was not. I actually deleted every single text msg from my phone (there were some I really wanted to keep but I was desperate) which did nothing more than make it show me "0 messages, 1 unread", not sure how that's possible but that's what it said. I found the reg key for SMS msg count and set it from 1 to 0 which worked fine until I received a new text message at which time the counts went to 1 message, 2 unread. ;-\ So I found this nifty little program called "fixunreadcount.exe" which did in fact remove the "phantom" unread message. However, ReRemind apparently still thinks it's there as it plays my ReRemind tone and vibrates every 10 minutes per the ReRemind settings even though there is no event or new message. Please help, what is triggering this false alert in ReRemind now and how do I make it stop? I removed ReRemind which of course made it stop but I really NEED ReRemind for the same reasons you no doubt wrote it. When I reinstall ReRemind, it immediately starts reminding me of this unread message that does not exist. What do I need to do to make ReRemind stop reminding me of this non-existent message? Thank you so much for any advice you can lend.

UPDATE: Found it. It was actually some "phantom" MMS messages. In the reg. HKCU\System\State\Messages\MMS\Unread\Count said 7 when there were none. Set that value to 0 and all's well. Even sent a couple of test MMS messages and deleted them to make sure that didn't somehow change back on me like the ...\sms\Unread\Count one did prior to running "fixunreadcount.exe" and it now always accurately reflects the number of unread MMS messages as expected and ReRemind only lets me know when there are any unread, as expected. Woo hoo... Thanks again for an awesome though unfortunately needed app.

Regards,
Brett

Last edited:

thx1200

Hallo!

There exists a "well known" bug in WM regarding notification queue. (See http://www.thepoorhouse.org.uk/fixing_windows_mobile_task_and_event_reminders).

Fortunately I didn't have any problems with notifications under WM 2003 - 6.1 (MPX200, VDA2, X1) until I got my HTC HD mini with WM 6.5.3. :-(

Now I use DotFred's Taskmanager (http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm) to cleanup the notification queue on startup (link autostart-folder to "taskmgr.exe /nd") and CT Scheduler Lite (http://www.connectivetools.com/ctschedulerlt_ppc.html) to do this also at 12 and 17 pm.

It would be very useful, if ReRemind had such a feature to cleanup the queue (or at least call any program like TaskMgr) every time when it is going to ReRemind, because this might be because of no alarm sound by windows.

Michael

I don't have any plans to work on this project any more. I'm getting close to ending the Windows Mobile chapter of my life (bitter/sweet) and migrate to Android. As such, this is one of the projects I don't plan to continue working on as I ride off into the WM sunset (not enough time).

The source code is open source licensed and is available for download on CodePlex, so if you want to add this modification, have at it!

Reactions: jb789

thx1200

Hi,

LOVE this program. I find it outrageous that MS left something so critical as a reminder of a missed call, text, voice mail, etc. out of Windows mobile. I have an HTC TP2 and ran into an apparent "bug" in the text messaging where it kept telling me there was 1 unread text message even though there was not. I actually deleted every single text msg from my phone (there were some I really wanted to keep but I was desperate) which did nothing more than make it show me "0 messages, 1 unread", not sure how that's possible but that's what it said. I found the reg key for SMS msg count and set it from 1 to 0 which worked fine until I received a new text message at which time the counts went to 1 message, 2 unread. ;-\ So I found this nifty little program called "fixunreadcount.exe" which did in fact remove the "phantom" unread message. However, ReRemind apparently still thinks it's there as it plays my ReRemind tone and vibrates every 10 minutes per the ReRemind settings even though there is no event or new message. Please help, what is triggering this false alert in ReRemind now and how do I make it stop? I removed ReRemind which of course made it stop but I really NEED ReRemind for the same reasons you no doubt wrote it. When I reinstall ReRemind, it immediately starts reminding me of this unread message that does not exist. What do I need to do to make ReRemind stop reminding me of this non-existent message? Thank you so much for any advice you can lend.

UPDATE: Found it. It was actually some "phantom" MMS messages. In the reg. HKCU\System\State\Messages\MMS\Unread\Count said 7 when there were none. Set that value to 0 and all's well. Even sent a couple of test MMS messages and deleted them to make sure that didn't somehow change back on me like the ...\sms\Unread\Count one did prior to running "fixunreadcount.exe" and it now always accurately reflects the number of unread MMS messages as expected and ReRemind only lets me know when there are any unread, as expected. Woo hoo... Thanks again for an awesome though unfortunately needed app.

Regards,
Brett

Good find. I honestly wasn't sure what it could be, but your update makes sense. I always forget about MMS. :)

guebert

May 3, 2009
I don't have any plans to work on this project any more. I'm getting close to ending the Windows Mobile chapter of my life (bitter/sweet) and migrate to Android.

I would do, too, if "offline sync" with Outlook (or any other PIM and not via any internet service) would work ...

Maybe - if you still have your WM device in use - you could even have a look at my thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=899437

Thanks for your reply!

Michael

thx1200

I would do, too, if "offline sync" with Outlook (or any other PIM and not via any internet service) would work ...

Maybe - if you still have your WM device in use - you could even have a look at my thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=899437

Thanks for your reply!

Michael

USB Outlook sync for Android? There's an app for that. I found this really quick with teh google, but I'm sure there are other solutions if you dig deeper. Maybe even free ones. But for 10gbp, that's not a bad price considering how cheap Android phones go for these days. :) http://www.waveglobal.net/index.php/products.html

I checked out your post. Interesting problem. I can confirm that on my phone, two appointments at the exact same time still DO make the reminder sound. I'm running 6.5 RTM and not 6.5.3 or whatever it's called (with the fancier bottom buttons).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Although I do read every post here in this thread, it would make my life easier if people submitted bugs and requested features on CodePlex and saved this thread more for general discussion and peer-to-peer help. Thank you!

Submit bugs on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/WorkItem/List.aspx
    Request features on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/Thread/List.aspx

Overview
    ReRemind is a simple Windows Mobile service that will play a sound at a specified interval when an event is waiting your attention. This is particularly useful for devices that lack standard amber/green notification LEDs (like the Diamond / Touch Pro), but can be used with any WM device if you want audible notifications.

CodePlex
    ReRemind development is hosted at Microsoft CodePlex! http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind

Tip Jar
    Like this app? Want more like it or quicker updates? Tip a buck (or Euro or Pound or whatever) or two to help the author out! Click here to make a safe donation via PayPal.

Current features
    - ReRemind will notify you when reminders (calendar) are active, there are missed calls, new voicemails, unread SMS, unread MMS, and/or unread email.
    - You can be reminded at any interval you specify, in minutes.
    - Rereminders can be turned off during a time span (such as overnight).
    - Play any WAV file! But sound must be less than about 10 seconds long, or it may be cut off as the device moves from UNATTENDED power state back to SUSPENDED power state.
    - Optionally vibrate device in addition to playing a sound.
    - Specify that ReRemind stops reminding after a certain number of rereminders.
    - AppToDate support
    - Very power efficient. All checks are done using the State and Notification Broker and Named Events in the notification queue. Playback is done (by default) in unattended mode. The service does not periodically "ping" because it waits for events, so it's completely idle as long as the state of the monitored events are not changing.
    - Cleans up after itself! Don't you hate it when apps use the notificaton queue but leave stale notification events lying around requiring you to run something like MemMaid to clean it up? ReRemind always checks to see if a notification is waiting when it is signalled to exit. If a notification is waiting, it clears it out.
    - TRUE SERVICE! Does NOT use one of the precious few 32 process slots on Windows Mobile. The app you see in the StartUp folder is simply to turn on the service. This is due to unsigned services being unable to autostart.
    - Can optionally work around the bug in Windows Phone 6.5 noted here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=469186

** If you edit ReRemind's settings in the registry directly, you must restart the service. This is most easily accomplished using the StopReRemindSvc and StartReRemindSvc EXEs in \Program Files\ReRemind

Planned features
    - A different WAV for each event
    - Maybe custom events by monitoring arbitrary registry locations for changes

Known Issues
    - None right now...

History - More details at CodePlex
    V7 - Added notification: unread MMS. Config app supports wav and vibration preview. Works around bug in WM6.5 where all-day reminders will not make a sound or vibrate. There are limitations, however: sound file specified in Sounds and Notifications for Reminders MUST be a WAV; AutoSnooze is not supported.
    V6.1 - Fixed a bug where VGA devices no longer could see the "select a folder" button.
    V6 - Added support for standard devices to use the config app (untested); Fixed a bug where some pre-6.1 devices detected as 6.5 devices, leading to alarm notification problems.
    V5 - Startup bug fix, WM 6.5 bug fixes, vibrate support, stop reminding after time (optional), AppToDate support.
    V4 - BETA - Fixed SMS/Email notification bugs. Deletes stale notification queue entries on startup/exit for if device crashes. Added 10 second delay to start service on boot.
    V3 - BETA - Fixed (very) minor resource leak. Silent service start options.
    V2 - ALPHA - Added Unread SMS and Email notifications. Added config app. Added messageboxes for starting/stopping service.
    V1 - ALPHA - Initial release

Detailed changelog is available on CodePlex in the notes of each version

Download
    CAB Installer: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx
    Source Code: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx

Installation
    1. Install the CAB
    2. That's it! Seriously!

Requirements
    - Windows Mobile 6.0 and newer.
    - Standard devices (no touch screen) can use the service but the config app will not work. You will need to edit the registry and restart your device to change settings.
    Hallo!

Michael

I don't have any plans to work on this project any more. I'm getting close to ending the Windows Mobile chapter of my life (bitter/sweet) and migrate to Android. As such, this is one of the projects I don't plan to continue working on as I ride off into the WM sunset (not enough time).

The source code is open source licensed and is available for download on CodePlex, so if you want to add this modification, have at it!