Official Huawei Ascend Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

linuxgeek099

Nov 10, 2010
The site is very slow. (Takes about an hour) I will post it up to mediafire which is quicker.

should be up by 11pm Eastern

Typed with my fat fingers using XDA App on my Cricket Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ladies and Gentlemen...

We now have CyanogenMOD 6.2.0-RC0 (Froyo)!

See the attached pictures below :)

1) Home screen of CM6
    2) About phone for proof :D

Everything built okay, but the signed package failed on me. I'll have to look at that. There are soooo many things not working yet, but I'm looking into now. These are the things not working (and they're important):

1) Network service is not operational
    2) Wifi
    3) Bluetooth
    4) Camera

What matters is that it's possible at this point. Now that I have an idea, it'll be easier for me to fix what's broken. :D
    I thought I would go ahead and make a general thread for the Cricket Huawei Ascend until something more concrete comes along. My apologies to the Mods if the word “Official " is not approved. I just want a section where people can post anything and everything about thier Android Ascends since, well, as we all know, XDA rocks and people are more inclined to look here first then any other development website!

So, post up folks! There are a few of us who have these phones and are pretty well versed when it comes to the ins and outs! I will post up some small write ups and what you can do to get a little extra bang for the buck in the speed department of things and I am sure a lot of others have valuable and up to date information!

I’ll start by posting what I have said about this phone in another thread.

Rooting this phone and removing some of the pre-installed apps and files is a must.

z4 root works great with this phone. Nothing towards Superoneclick but lets face it, its way to complicated for the average user and even then, it's hard to get working. z4 root is a total win in this case, I have managed to delete half the junk the phone came with and have noticed a slight performance boost although it's not much to brag about with a 600Mhz processor. A custom kernel is almost a must as well. I can not play non market games, it's slow if you try to multitask and is all around slow coming from an expert Droid user.

Lastly, the Swipe keyboard. Who ever would want to use that! What a slow nightmare it is to try to type with Swipe in my opinion, I deleted it. The stock keyboard is not much better. Get " Better Keyboard ", it's not nearly as laggy and it can actually keep up with fast texting.

BUT, there is a bright side to all the cons ( almost all the cons )

Rooting, deleting junk and downloading Better Keyboard makes this phone an awesome entry level phone that can hold it's own with the mid range phones. It's no Evo by any means, but, it's a step closer to becoming an affordable real “smart phone ".

The ability to overclock would make it 100% indeed a smart phone and more then capable of holding it's own vs. $300+ phones. It's a project phone, you get what you pay for but, if you have a little time and patience, you too can own a get Android device with no contract, low monthly payments and hours of entertainment from the Android platform. I, am sold on this phone. I have owned other Android type phones and I can honestly say, this phone can be some competition.

Sure it has a poor quality LCD screen and can be buggy out of the box, but like I said, a little patience and determination is what makes this phone enjoyable. And, after all, it's not like it needs constant maintenance. Just a few steps to take out of the box and your set. For $150, I can't complain now that my phone is working like an Android phone should work.
    Hey guys,

If anyone of you feel like I'm holding back, please don't. For Cricket users, I can understand your excitement because you've had this phone for months and it wasn't until 2 weeks ago did anything really good start happening. I would say that CWR is about 95% working (as far as I can tell), but it's generic build. A very dirty generic build. If anything should happen to your phones, I don't want to be responsible.

Also, I don't want to side-step Koush. I attempted the build and got lucky. I gained the necessary information to help Koush get the recovery. However, since joenathane sent him the phone, he can now build a PROPER build for the phone. One that is worthy to be in rom manager. He's a big dog in the android-dev world, I wouldn't want to give him a bad name, ya know?

The recovery is a big step for us, yes. But my big goal is tackling CM6 for the Ascend. Means to an end, if you will. Once Koush gets back from CES, he'll have it in there and hopefully, I'll have something worthy for you guys to flash. Good things are coming people, it'll just take a little more time. The people that do this stuff do it for fun. :)

If CWR is not put into Rom Manager within a reasonable amount of time, I'll go ahead and release what I got. If that happens, I want to have a separate thread for because I don't want to post something 50+ pages deep into a thread.
    How do we get cyanogenmod

Sent from my M860 using XDA App

At this point, you wouldn't want it. Until it's fixed, you can't even make phone calls...
    Off topic:

http://ipodify.net/ - I'm working on a site for us Ascend users. If you would like to join, let me know! ipodify.net is a temporary home until I get the domain purchased. Thanks