Bloat Manager

Search This thread

casacristo

Oct 25, 2009
more apps to add to the bloat application...

All these can be removed safely:
all in /system/app

com.htc.android.htcime.apk
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
CarHomeGoogle.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
CarHomeLauncher.apk
Provision.apk
VoiceDialer.apk

Last edited:

faranda2011

Feb 28, 2011
Santiago
Still not working for Droid 2 Global

Tried z4root temp and permanent, unchecked 2 or 3 apps and those 2 or 3 keep self launching.
Next , unchecked all applied and saved. No change, all apps are there and you can even launch them manually (which I'd assume you should not be able to if file was renamed.

In case is useful
Droid 2 Global
System version 2.4.330.A956.Verizon.en.US
baseband version n_01.48.05R
kernel: 2.6.32.9-g9e2c63d

faranda2011

Feb 28, 2011
Santiago
Works now, needed some tweaking

It appears the "bug" if I dare to call it that, was not with Bloat Manager but rather with Launcher Pro.
If you are using the "Hidden Apps" feature of Launcher pro, you will get this weird behaviour. (I had all the bloatware already on that list)
I guess is related to LP having to keep a list somewhere of the apps and having to know they are there to be able to hide them. (hiding in LP context does not mean the app wont run, it just keeps it out of the app drawer). Haven't had time to look at the codes, and might be getting too old to do it, so I found the workaround manually:
I had to uninstall Launcher Pro, reboot, run Bloat Manager, re-install Launcher Pro and everything works fine now.

Just my two cents in case someone has the same issue...phone runs great now!!

dverts

Mar 2, 2011
Bloat Manager remounts your /system partition as writable

Sorry if this has been asked already but does Bloat Manager remount /system ro when done?

gergos

Aug 26, 2009
Doesn't work on Droid 2 G

I installed and disabled all apps - then rebooted - all of the apps were still enabled. So I just uninstalled the app. I really think this is going to be a good app at some point if you could just make it work as you'd like it to.

azrash

Sep 18, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
this would be a great app, do we need to reboot after doing the .apk conversion to .bak and do we need to reboot when whe re-enabled all of them?

is there anyway i could help? im using a G1 (just bought it 2 days ago, very fresh lol)

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
In the past I have used Root Manager and cut/pasted the files to a folder marked VZWBloat on my SD Card, this way I get the added space back and its all gone. You can then easily cut/paste (or copy/paste) the files back to the originating folder later on when its upgrade time.

Has anyone tried that or has the general consensus been to freeze the apps?

sf11035

Oct 23, 2007
any update on this? i used it on my droid x and it seemed to work well for what it could find. FYI I'm on the official (.596 ) gingerbread OTA and it could not find the following:

Amazon MP3
Kindle
My Net
Performance Manager
VZNavigator
World Clock Widget (dont expect it to find this)

Cunorix

Jul 19, 2011
As asked several times in this thread, does this work better than titanium backup (Freezing apps)? I believe me and several other user's would like to know.

Thanks. ;)

Kliment

Aug 11, 2011
Trying to do this for a friend, does he need root? are these S-OFF? i am not sure, i have htc sensation fully rooted with custom ROM. My friend just wants to get rid of bloatware. THanks :)

IronFists

Jun 13, 2011
yes youll need root soon as you hit apply SU ask for permission works great for me but need other programs gone also like dlna...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently bought a Droid 2 Global and decided to get my feet wet with android development. To familiarize myself with the platform I wrote a simple utility for managing the bloat that came pre-installed on my phone. I thought there might be other people who would get some use out of this so I am posting it here. You will need to be rooted and have busybox installed to use this application. If you used z4root to root your phone then you should have everything you need.

The application is pretty simple. When you start it you are presented with a list of the Bloat that the application recognizes. Each item in the list has a checkbox that indicates whether it is enabled or not. To disable bloat you just uncheck the boxes next to what you don't want and then press the Apply button that appears at the bottom of the screen. You can save what you have disabled as a profile by pressing the options button and then choosing Save Profile. This is convenient because you are going to need to turn all of this bloat back on if you want to receive updates. If you have saved a profile and a new update becomes available you can launch Bloat Manager, press the options button, choose Enable All and then click Apply to get your phone ready for the update. After the update installs you can launch Bloat Manager, press the options button, choose Load Profile and then click Apply to turn the bloat back off.

The following applications can be toggled on or off using Bloat Manager:

Amazon MP3 /system/app/amazonmp3_1_8_14_signed_zipaligned_Signed_2010-09-09_15-23-51.apk
    Blockbuster /system/app/Blockbuster.apk
    City ID /system/app/CityID.apk
    Friend Feed /system/app/FriendFeed.apk
    Kindle /system/app/Kindle-1_0_2-OEM-SingleSign_Signed_2010-09-20_17-31-57.apk
    My Net /system/app/Mynet.apk
    My Verizon /system/app/MyVerizon.apk
    News Widget /system/app/NewsWidget.apk
    Performance Manager /system/app/PerformanceManager.apk
    Skype /system/app/Skype_mobile.live.apk
    Social Messaging /system/app/SocialMessaging.apk
    Social Share /system/app/SocialShare.apk
    VZNavigator /system/app/vnav_6.1.0.160_Droid2Global_rel_PROD_signed.apk
    Visual Voice Mail /system/app/Vvm.apk
    Weather Widget /system/app/WeatherWidget.apk
    World Clock Widget /system/app/WorldClockWidget.apk

When you disable an application using Bloat Manager it simply renames it to .bak. When you re-enable an application it is renamed back to .apk.

Bloat Manager remounts your /system partition as writable in order to make changes to applications. I came up with this list based on what other people have had success with removing, but I have not personally turned off everything on the list. Changing things in your system partition is always dangerous so please be careful.
    Correct, this simply renames the apps so that they are no longer recognized as launchable applications. The applications will not be able to run anymore after they are renamed so they will not affect your battery life directly. I have heard that the operating system will continually try and restart some apps if they get renamed, but based on what people are saying in the bloatware removal script thread on droidforums where I got this list of applications none of these should have that problem.

Let me know how it goes.