Galaxy S2 Inductive Charging IN PROGRESS

Search This thread

mziol

Apr 5, 2010
Boston
So I think it's finally time to get this going. I'm going to be taking apart and installing Touchstone wireless charging into my Hercules Galaxy S2. The parts are on order (I was going to do this with a PowerMat charger I had lying around but then I found out it's not compatible with the cheaper touchstone system so I ordered that instead). Should be getting pictures and guide (maybe video too) by the end of next weekend. Stay tuned. :D

nasKoo

Aug 3, 2011
Pretty cool thing.

Someone else did it with a touchstone dock. The microUSB port is kind of blocked, here but the kid who made it has another version of it, as well, with hidden cables and whatnot.

Youtube Samsung Galaxy S Wireless Inductive Charging Mod

Last edited:

mziol

Apr 5, 2010
Boston
Pretty cool thing.

Someone else did it with a touchstone dock. The microUSB port is kind of blocked, here but the kid who made it has another version of it, as well, with hidden cables and whatnot.

Youtube Samsung Galaxy S Wireless Inductive Charging Mod

I saw that. The idea with this mod is to be similar to his Galaxy S mod that has the free USB port. I'm not a fan of wires sticking out. Should be getting the Touchstone gear tomorrow and then the foil on Friday (copper foil). I'll do a bigger write-up when it's complete including materials and directions. As far as I know, nobody has done this yet with the GSII, which is why I want to do this and kind of add on to what the other guy did but for this newest generation ;)

Reactions: GoCubsGo!

}{Alienz}{

Jul 22, 2010
Colorado
OnePlus 9 Pro
I nearly broke my Vibrant when I did that last year. I'm not going through that experience again.

On a bright note: I now know how to completely take it apart and piece it back together in 5 minutes.

XxGoKoUxX

Oct 31, 2007
had no idea there was no support for our phones on this, i'm definitely interested as i dont like plugging and unplugging my charger all the time :rolleyes: It'd be even more awesome to intuitively convert this into a wireless car charger haha

rastlin

Oct 25, 2006
What would be really awesome is if there was a way to not only have wireless charging but have like a 5 for radius for the charging as well that doesn't muck with the NFC

Rastlin

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

rastlin

Oct 25, 2006
I dunno of it would mess with the NFC coil but I am thinking not unless it is "tunned" to the same frequency as the induction coil, them again on the other hand id that was true then we couldn't have our phones around ANY magnetic field. I would wager that the NFC coil may be grounded out already somehow, that is not to mention that it is "tunned" to a specific frequency as well...... justa thought

Rastlin

rastlin

Oct 25, 2006
If this could get up and running that would be most awesome, I am sure that most of the folk on this forum would agree with me that this coupled with like NFC, if possible would rule!

GoCubsGo!

Oct 10, 2010
Induction Mod completed

I attempted the induction mod and was successful. I soldered a wire to the same pin as shown in the video for the Galaxy S. I need to clean it up with copper foil tape but it is functional. Putting the battery cover back is difficult because of the limited space between the battery and cover. I didn't take any pictures but if anyone has questions I would be happy to assist.

Reactions: rastlin

rastlin

Oct 25, 2006
Can you take some pictures so that we can see and how snug was the battery cover? Does it interfere with the NFC?. Right now I an rocking the nexus extended battery and it's cramped to say the least

GoCubsGo!

Oct 10, 2010
My only camera is my phone so I can't take any pictures. I have not tried the NFC function on my phone but I think the coil may interfere. As far as the battery cover is concerned, there is not enough space if you are using a larger battery.

rastlin

Oct 25, 2006
Dang, if you happen to acquire a digital camera I would love to see pics and how it was put together kinda like a how to

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I think it's finally time to get this going. I'm going to be taking apart and installing Touchstone wireless charging into my Hercules Galaxy S2. The parts are on order (I was going to do this with a PowerMat charger I had lying around but then I found out it's not compatible with the cheaper touchstone system so I ordered that instead). Should be getting pictures and guide (maybe video too) by the end of next weekend. Stay tuned. :D
    Pictures of completed project
    DROPBOX

I made the connections this way because if anything went wrong, I didn't want to have to rework the entire thing. It took an extra amount of time to do, but I think it was worth it.

I've got three sections.
    Mainboard
    Housing
    Coil

The wire that I used was hard drive cable wire that I had sitting around. I stripped off two strands and cut them to length. On the coil I removed the connectors and soldered the copper tape directly to the ribbon cable. It reduced the overal height a lot. I had to reposition the ribbon cable board underneath the coil because it wasn't sitting in a great place. It was affecting the ability to fully snap rear cover closed. By repositioning it to the lower center of the case, it was able to be closed and stay closed.

After typing this:
    cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current_adc
    into my terminal while charging, the results were as follows.
    3522 Charging via Touchstone (352.2mAh)
    3339 Charging via USB (333.9mAh)
    inductive coil with PIX WHOO HOO!!!!!!

The first thing i did was i went to radio shack and i found a palm pre back on clearence for $.97 SCORE!!! View attachment 1077959following a website where they did a "non solder" mod and it doesnt void the warrenty ^_^ so i took the sticker off the back of the door showing the inductive coil View attachment 1077961View attachment 1077962if i was intellegent enough i would of taken the sticker with the metal discs and placed them on my battery door but unfortunally i was not that smart. View attachment 1078001 View attachment 1077963so heres the coil all by its lonesome. Moving on, ok now i have taken apart my phone (you can find all the screw holes and they are all out in the open View attachment 1077971 where my screw driver tip is are little notches are the best areas for prying off the back View attachment 1077970 (that way you wont damage the chrome border) Now also make sure that you have purchased some copper foil. around here in the midwest i found it at my local hobby lobby in the section dealing with stained glass for around 7 bucks (that coil holding up the scissors and the back panel of my phone. So now that i have everything exposed we need to only worry about the place where the battery meets the main board View attachment 1077981. Unfortunately i didn't take a pic here but if you look at the battery you will see that the other leads are the main terminals for the battery, biased upon the picture the negative is on the left while the positive is on the right. My screw driver as seen here View attachment 1077984 is the negitive terminal. So what i did was i place some of the copper foil over the negitive side of the termiman (sticky side down so that it stays in place and folded over the terminal)View attachment 1077982and i did the same thing for the positive.View attachment 1077984After i did that i placed the back, back on and but be careful because placing it back on is not nearly as easy as getting it off. View attachment 1077983This here is the top of the back of the device. Make sure that you place these (as shown by the tip of my screw driver) in first and the rest will just snap on. Now here View attachment 1077999] i folded the sticky sides together so that they wont stick to anything and they cover my battery. That way when i place my back with the coil taped into place they will make contact. Now moving to the backcover.......i aligned the coils terminals with the battery terminals and grabbed some good ol'fashioned electrical tape and taped that bad boy on to the battery coverView attachment 1078002 then i ran the copper tape (sticky side facing the cover) and created "trace patterns for the contactsView attachment 1078003 with more electrical tape to secure everything and i placed it all togetherView attachment 1078018 turned it on and made sure that it worked... boot.jpg. HURRAYYYY!!!!!!! ahem....anyways i was able to snap everything back togetherthickness.jpgView attachment 1078021 and it's not much thicker then before but ya can feel the coil. Now for an added touch today i was looking around @play.google.com and found and NFC app called "NFC RE-TAG" http://goo.gl/Q4GKL which allows you to re tag any nfc so i opted for the free version. My kids have a videogame called Skylanders for the wii (don't flame me), and pc. For those of you whom don't know what that is, it's a game that used NFC figurines that have special powers and you place them on a NFC reader called a "power portal". I was able to read the tags with the induction coil in place so there yall go the induction coil does not interfere with the NFC coil
    Sure can charge via USB. Total cost was about $20ish which included shipping for everything.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
    I did a quick google search and I am not to sure if our phones are the same but I do like his idea perhaps this will help you on your journey

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...s-mod-palm-touchstone-no-soldering-phone.html